PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III, multiple endings?

Ezio_ilMentore
08-22-2012, 03:40 AM
I have a feeling it would turn out that way. My instinct tells me it is not impossible.

Obviously, this idea was aroused from finishing Mass Effect 3... excuse me for mentioning another franchise here.

Having multiple endings, Desmond choosing between several paths that will determine the fate of their world.
I'm imagining:
Stopping the sun from bursting a solar storm, shielding humanity with some mysterious power from the First Civilization, or just like the story so far had mentioned it should be, Desmond and another girl being the last ones alive, Desmond sacrificing his life in order to save the rest of humanity (like Shepard from ME3).

Hutchinson mentioned at ComicCon that the ending to Assassin's Creed III will be shocking, could it be something like Mass Effect 3's endings? Something Depressing, emotional?

I just want to keep myself updated on this.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting the ending to AC3 should turn out to be as such. I hope not.

__________________________________________________ _________

[Waiting for answer...]

rileypoole1234
08-22-2012, 03:45 AM
I doubt it. I mean, I really really doubt it. That's just my opinion, I don't think it would happen.

LoyalACFan
08-22-2012, 03:45 AM
I think there will be only one ending. And Desmond will die.

Blind2Society
08-22-2012, 03:55 AM
I certainly hope they don't take any notes from BioWare. The only emotion ME3's ending evoked was disappointment because the series was ruined. Please, oh please don't ruin AC Ubisoft. If you do go the heroic sacrifice route only look at ME3 as how not to do it.

naran6142
08-22-2012, 04:14 AM
no way there are going to be multiple endings imo

SteelCity999
08-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Writers need to have confidence in their stories to make an ending that fits the story and makes sense. Even if it's not popular. 2 endings would ruin the game.

HisSpiritLives
08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
My opinion is that there wont be multiple endings,that doesnt make sense to me. But Desmond will die.

itsamea-mario
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
There's no real reason why there can't be multiple endings, of which i know.
I do however think it is unlikely, since it doesn't really seem like it would fit. also it's a very story based game, not a role playing game, meaning they would probably like to keep a solid structure.
And personally, i find multiple endings a bit annoying, i'd like to be able to do everything on one playthrough, not have to start another on order to get everything.

As for people saying Desmond will die, well sure it seems like a good idea from a story perspective, but f Desmond is dead, how will we replay memories?

..unless he does a 16 and uploads his psych to the animus..

Slayer_WTF
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I do not like the multiple endings in games like AC3.

AC3 has a story driven, and I think it's better that way.

BBALive
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Doesn't make sense for this series. You're reliving pre-determined events through the eyes of an ancestor. Everything in the game has already happened. It's linear storytelling but it has an explanation as to why it is linear.

TheHumanTowel
08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
No I don't think there'll be multiple endings. We're being told a specific story here I don't think player choice is going to come into it.

Locopells
08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
^ This.

WolfTemplar94
08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't think it fits the tone of the game. Mass Effect's multiple choice decisions were a staple to the series. In AC, it's a linear story, so I think it's best for there to be a linear ending. Plus, chances are there's going to be more games in the series, so having this game have multiple endings will mean the future games will have to tread around those endings.

Blind2Society
08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I think my post was more a rant about ME3 so I would like to clarify. I agree that player choice doesn't fit. Ubisoft is telling us a story.

misterB2001
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't think Desmond will die, unless he's already impregnated someone. Subject 16 said "the sun.....your son" that's enough for me to suggest he will live and end up with children

LightRey
08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Makes absolutely no sense imo. AC isn't a game about choices and their consequences, not at all.

oliacr
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
I think you want mass effect 3's ending to be happen.

dxsxhxcx
08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
it could happen, but IMO if they plan to continue the story from where Desmond will stop, multiple endings wouldn't work, IMO if a game has to have multiple endings each ending should be the most different possible from the other with each ending affecting the continuation of the story in a different (and if possible drastic) way...

Ielgon
08-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Doesn't make sense for this series. You're reliving pre-determined events through the eyes of an ancestor. Everything in the game has already happened. It's linear storytelling but it has an explanation as to why it is linear.

Desmond's storyline hasn't already happened which is the ending Ezio_ilMentore is talking about. Connor's ending has already happened (since that was in the past, so that's linear yes), but Desmond is in the present so anything could happen.

Didn't they say a couple of times that they already had the end written before AC1? Or did they just mean that they had all of AC1's story done before they started working on it, and not the whole Desmond story? If they had already written it I doubt they'd make multiple endings.

And Ezio_ilMentore mentioned that the multiple endings would be a choice you could make as Desmond, how would that work? Would they just be different outcomes entirely, or would they be different means to the same goal?

pacmanate
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I think someone made a thread like this around March. And we all came to the conclusion that the AC universe is already confusing as it is! We do not NEED multiple endings. This is not Mass Effect and we have never had to make choices in the past anyway. Also, if Desmond DOESN'T save the world, how the heck do we replay stuff?!

SteelCity999
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I think there could be an alternate ending, now that I think about it.....

Desmond and company will save the world. Everyone will rejoice. Then a blank screen. All of a sudden the intro to Lucy in the Sky starts playing to a fade-in of Desmond laying in an alley with a half eaten apple on the ground. He wakes up and mutters....."bad apple." End of story.

LoyalACFan
08-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Desmond and company will save the world. Everyone will rejoice. Then a blank screen. All of a sudden the intro to Lucy in the Sky starts playing to a fade-in of Desmond laying in an alley with a half eaten apple on the ground. He wakes up and mutters....."bad apple." End of story.

So the whole story was the result of Desmond's drunken stupor?

SteelCity999
08-23-2012, 08:42 PM
So the whole story was the result of Desmond's drunken stupor?

I was thinkin' more of a laced apple.....hence Lucy in the Sky....not to mention then you have a Lucy and apple tie in. :confused:

DarkSolitude-X
08-23-2012, 08:56 PM

I imagine that ending would be a very hated one.

I'm going to say that AC3 won't have multiple endings. Though I hope Desmond doesn't die. I say let Desmond do his stuff, conclude the whole Desmond arc. Then let Desmond be and have a new main character for AC4.

RinoTheBouncer
08-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't think so but I just hope they won't milk the story till it becomes silly.
The idea of Desmond's death sounds interesting yet shocking because it's like this man never saw happiness in his life and if the ending turns out to get everything to collapse on his head then all this hard work of all these years since Altair's time until now has all gone to waste.

I'm not necessarily asking for a happy ending where everybody's dancing and the sky rains rose petals but I think a satisfying ending would be very good. At least not an ending that ruins all what we've hoped and worked for.

kudos17
08-25-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't think so but I just hope they won't milk the story till it becomes silly.
The idea of Desmond's death sounds interesting yet shocking because it's like this man never saw happiness in his life and if the ending turns out to get everything to collapse on his head then all this hard work of all these years since Altair's time until now has all gone to waste.

I'm not necessarily asking for a happy ending where everybody's dancing and the sky rains rose petals but I think a satisfying ending would be very good. At least not an ending that ruins all what we've hoped and worked for.

Yeah, this.

I mean, think about it. Desmond has pretty much lived a reserved life, never got to enjoy it (no, bartender in New York doesn't really count), or settle down. I can't imagine him dying as a satisfying ending.

I feel as if he's more suited toward a painful end. Like, he'll survive, but to do something like become the new Mentor. Or live within the Animus, like 16. Or become something even more weird due to run-ins with TWCB. Sort of live, but transcend that.

I know it sounds weird to prefer him suffering over dying a hero's death, but I always felt that's where his duty pointed him, even if it doesn't make for a happy ending.

Calvarok
08-25-2012, 04:15 AM
Since the end of Revelations multiplayer seems to indicate that Desmond's dad will die when Daniel Cross catches up to him, presumably at the beginning of AC3, I think that Desmond will need to survive to lead the order, and besides, if they kill Lucy and William, killing Desmond seems like they're just doing it for the fun of it. Desmond should struggle to keep the order together after William's death, and finally stop the apocalypse and Templar satellite, and take over as the new mentor.

That's far more interesting than a heroic sacrifice, besides, who would be left to lead the order then? Shaun?

LoyalACFan
08-25-2012, 04:19 AM
That's far more interesting than a heroic sacrifice, besides, who would be left to lead the order then? Shaun?

Yes. And a dam n fine job he'd do of it, too :p

BeCk41
08-25-2012, 06:25 PM
to be honest they won't do the multiple endings because its not something that the AC series has ever done before, thats great that its in Mass Effect and everything, but I wouldn't hold cross your fingers for it in AC3.

RinoTheBouncer
08-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah, this.

I mean, think about it. Desmond has pretty much lived a reserved life, never got to enjoy it (no, bartender in New York doesn't really count), or settle down. I can't imagine him dying as a satisfying ending.

I feel as if he's more suited toward a painful end. Like, he'll survive, but to do something like become the new Mentor. Or live within the Animus, like 16. Or become something even more weird due to run-ins with TWCB. Sort of live, but transcend that.

I know it sounds weird to prefer him suffering over dying a hero's death, but I always felt that's where his duty pointed him, even if it doesn't make for a happy ending.

I agree with this to some extent as well!
I mean, I don't want him to suffer but just killing the protagonist to make it "shocking" isn't really cool. I think there should be more, maybe he'll lead the Creed or maybe the end will show Desmond finishing his missing and the screen cuts to a different person just getting out of a much more advanced Animus version reporting that he found what he's looking for revealing that the Desmond we've been playing as the whole time is another memory being relived by someone in the future (after the world was destroyed or save or whatever happened) and he's trying to find out what really happened like we're trying to uncover by reliving memories of Alta´r, Ezio and Connor. Now that's a shocking ending!