PDA

View Full Version : Time travel/manipulation in AC3 - think it will happen?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 12:36 AM
It's already part of the AC canon, has been ever since AC1. I'm no fan of time travel/manipulation/bending at all, I think it's a logical can of worms all fictional stories should avoid like fire unless they're written by brilliant physicists, but like I said, it's already present in this franchise. And considering that this is supposed to be a big finale (at least for Desmond's arc) and that it seems like they also want to be done with Ratonhnhaké:ton in 1 game as well, I can see them going big and what's bigger/more spectacular than time travel/manipulation?

What do you think guys, will they pull it in AC3?

Slayer_WTF
08-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I did not understand what you mean. Can you give some examples? :)

naran6142
08-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I really really really really hope not.... time travel just isnt a good idea in my opinion, but it depends on how its done

if desmond can see the past not go to it id be fine with that... pretty much what you can do with eagle sense anyways.

E-Zekiel
08-20-2012, 12:47 AM
I can't honestly say if they will, but I would not be surprised. Doesn't make sense otherwise that Ezio was able to see Desmond.

TheHumanTowel
08-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Well there seems to be only one unidentified POE that can manipulate time and Abstergo have locked it away as it is too dangerous. Also it's capabilities seem to be quite limited, the ship in the philidelphia project was only able to maintain itself in a future state for 18 seconds. It's still certainly a possibilty but these are obstacles they have to overcome. The only reference we have to time travel is in one e-mail in AC1 so a lot of people might not know it's possible. I don't think they'll go in that direction in AC3

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 12:49 AM
I did not understand what you mean. Can you give some examples? :)- Desmond & co bringing Eve/someone related to Eve from 18th century to 21st century because they need her to open/activate the Grand Temple.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton standing in New York in 1783 and the boom, he's in New York in 2012, climbing skyscrapers.
- Desmond appearing in 18th century.
- going back in time to save Lucy, or manipulating time to revive her

Millions of different things could happen

I can't honestly say if they will, but I would not be surprised. Doesn't make sense otherwise that Ezio was able to see Desmond.Yeah, that one was definitely time manipulation

Well there seems to be only one unidentified POE that can manipulate time and Abstergo have locked it away as it is too dangerous. Also it's capabilities seem to be quite limited, the ship in the philidelphia project was only able to maintain itself in a future state for 18 seconds. It's still certainly a possibilty but these are obstacles they have to overcome. The only reference we have to time travel is in one e-mail in AC1 so a lot of people might not know it's possible. I don't think they'll go in that direction in AC3

But then Ezio saw Desmond, and that was via the Apple so that Philadelphia Project POE ain't the only one that's capable of time manipulation to some extent. Not to mention, what the hell is Nexus of Time??? How come was Desmond talking with Jupiter? How was Juno talking with Clay?

Serrachio
08-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Ezio saw Desmond as a hologram through Altair's Apple of Eden. There was no time travel involved.

Some people already think the Animus is a time machine, so I'd rather Ubisoft didn't encourage them by actually implementing it.

Slayer_WTF
08-20-2012, 01:01 AM
No, definitely. It would be too ridiculous to see such a thing.

E-Zekiel
08-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Ezio saw Desmond as a hologram through Altair's Apple of Eden. There was no time travel involved.

Some people already think the Animus is a time machine, so I'd rather Ubisoft didn't encourage them by actually implementing it.

That makes more sense than time travel, imo, but now my question is, how did they know what Desmond is going to look like?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Hmm good point. But then there's that Nexus of Time weird thing

Serrachio
08-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Hmm good point. But then there's that Nexus of Time weird thing

Altair learned many things from his Apple, in his own words "Of life and death, of the past and the future", so it's possible that it could project an image of Desmond to Ezio in 1512, 500 years before Desmond entered into his coma.

The Nexus of Time was probably the transition from Ezio's final memories, even though the conception of Flavia was missing (which was intended to be added), and so it pushed Desmond into the final meeting with Jupiter.

I don't really know how it happened, but the explanation will probably be included in the Second Edition of the Encyclopedia.

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 01:16 AM
The Nexus of Time was probably the transition from Ezio's final memories, even though the conception of Flavia was missing (which was intended to be added), and so it pushed Desmond into the final meeting with Jupiter.

I don't really know how it happened, but the explanation will probably be included in the Second Edition of the Encyclopedia.I do get that finishing up with Ezio transitioned us to Nexus of Time, but what is this Nexux of Time lol? I mean, that's just pure time bending thing to me. Jupiter is not in Animus, neither it is a memory. Same thing with Juno chit-chating with Clay

corbinmahieu
08-20-2012, 01:28 AM

I don't think Ezio really ... saw Desmond. I see the hologram of Desmond in this scene.... as a bond who is visually created by the devs of AC. = that although Ezio couldn't see Desmond.... Desmond was with him that moment... and Ezio knew... he could ''give'' the message to Desmond....... But Desmond is even in de ''Nexus of Time''. SO i find the whole hologram thing just..... not fitted. IT should be shown '' like a vision or a dream''... Anyway... That's just what I make of it !

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't think Ezio really ... saw Desmond. I see the hologram of Desmond in this scene.... as a bond who is visually created by the devs of AC. = that although Ezio couldn't see Desmond.... Desmond was with him that moment... and Ezio knew... he could ''give'' the message to Desmond....... But Desmond is even in de ''Nexus of Time''. SO i find the whole hologram thing just..... not fitted. IT should be shown '' like a vision or a dream''... Anyway... That's just what I make of it !But Ezio put a hand on Desmond's shoulder lol

E-Zekiel
08-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Yes, whatever really happened, it's very clear that he saw them, and not unlikely that he felt him, too, given the hand on the shoulder.

corbinmahieu
08-20-2012, 01:39 AM
But Ezio put a hand on Desmond's shoulder lol

Yeah I know... but desmond isn't there... The devs just made the scene to ''show the bond''... but it's not ''physically''.

---> Ezio just '' imagined '' Desmond standing there .... How would you interact if you knew a ''ghost'' or unseen person was standing besides you?

--> Or maby I'm just looking for the dramatic faith between the prophet and the savior ... ( knowing eachother life, but never really ''knowing'' eachother )
--> I find a Ironic beauty in this

How..... could the animus make a hologram..! ?....

It should be the other way around.. Ezio could have made a hologram of himself with the POE.... AND then Desmond ''could'' see Ezio...
But Ezio wouldn't be able to really ''see'' Desmond. But that's story related.. And in the Ac univers nothing is really always "right".

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Yeah I know... but desmond isn't there... The devs just made the scene to ''show the bond''... but it's not ''physically''.

---> Ezio just '' imagined '' Desmond standing there .... How would you interact if you knew a ''ghost'' or unseen person was standing besides you?

--> Or maby I'm just looking for the dramatic faith between the prophet and the savior ... ( knowing eachother life, but never really ''knowing'' eachother )
--> I find a Ironic beauty in this

How..... could the animus make a hologram..! ?....

It should be the other way around.. Ezio could have made a hologram of himself with the POE.... AND then Desmond ''could'' see Ezio...
But Ezio wouldn't be able to really ''see'' Desmond. But that's story related.. And in the Ac univers nothing is really always "right".Your speculation is very possible I think. But it's only about the image of Desmond before Ezio which ultimately isn't as important as the entire Nexus of Time business, how exactly is Desmond speaking with Jupiter. Jupiter's hologram ain't in the Animus so it has to be time manipulation.

corbinmahieu
08-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Your speculation is very possible I think. But it's only about the image of Desmond before Ezio which ultimately isn't as important as the entire Nexus of Time business, how exactly is Desmond speaking with Jupiter. Jupiter's hologram ain't in the Animus so it has to be time manipulation.

Yeah .... Thats why i find the whole hologram of Desmond stuff just a very wrong choice of the devs of ACR. They should have used a 3th person vieuw just like de Desmond gameplay.
Then It would have been like a '' vision'' of a dream... The hologram of Desmond was just a wrong choice...... of the devs trying to show the gamers.. '' look look desmond is seeing this '' and I don't think it will have impact on the story of ac. ...... but as I said earlier... nothing is '''right'' in AC... somethings still remain a mystery or a wrong choice of the devs.. even after the sequel is made!

SteelCity999
08-20-2012, 03:01 AM
I think the "Nexus of Time" is probably a place where everything connects to each other, like the hub on a wheel. Energy, memories and the like. Somehow the TWCB found a way to access it and see through time to develop a backup plan. They could see what was going to happen but couldn't figure out how to stop it. They would know about Ezio and Desmond and talk to them accordingly but yet no actual time travel took place. They just used the information from the nexus to develop a plan and hopefully have it executed. Sort of like a prophet can sometimes see future events - supposedly.

tarrero
08-20-2012, 03:02 AM
I hope not.....

thekarlone
08-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Maybe Desmond has to travel to TWCB era to find out something that saves the future (2012).

Serrachio
08-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Well, Ezio's Apple was nearby Desmond as he was in the Animus, and it had been "modified" by Minerva.

Perhaps when Desmond finished up all of Ezio's memories, it projected the meeting between him, Jupiter, Juno and Minerva into his subconcious mind?

Assassin_M
08-20-2012, 05:16 AM
*reads title* *sees the words "time travel"*

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Kit572
08-20-2012, 07:48 AM
*reads title* *sees the words "time travel"*

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Yep, definately sounds like you.

Locopells
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Have to say I'm with M on this one. I'm not saying it could be within the grasp of TWCB, we've seen in AC1 that they had something like it (and they do know the future after all) but it wouldn't work here. Why bother with the Animus otherwise?

Slayer_WTF
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Now that I think about it, the Abstergo has done something like this.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Philadelphia_Project

nightcobra
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
It's already part of the AC canon, has been ever since AC1. I'm no fan of time travel/manipulation/bending at all, I think it's a logical can of worms all fictional stories should avoid like fire unless they're written by brilliant physicists, but like I said, it's already present in this franchise. And considering that this is supposed to be a big finale (at least for Desmond's arc) and that it seems like they also want to be done with Ratonhnhaké:ton in 1 game as well, I can see them going big and what's bigger/more spectacular than time travel/manipulation?

What do you think guys, will they pull it in AC3?

i wrote this a while back, since it seems relevant i might as well post it here:

*inhales*

since the grand temple is the place where all of the "TOWCB" knowledge is supposed to be stored along with their plans to save the world, the nexus of time control mechanism should be there. what if that machine allows desmond to talk to juno (more like allows juno to see desmond's answer in her time, basicly looking into the future), then juno talks to william miles about their plan to free lucy from vidic and the templar eyes warning him to not say reveal anything of this plan until the time is right, juno then makes desmond stab lucy but just enough for her to fall unconscious from the shock and to make desmond enter the comatose state for him to heal his mind through the animus later on, the funeral is then staged with only william miles knowing what's going on at this point in time, after desmond tells of this moment of opportunity to juno in the grand temple, william knows that this would be the right time and reveals to desmond that the plan succeeded and that lucy is fine (if only because she could be the modern counterpart of eve and necessary to act as a sort of key with desmond).
the point where juno talks to william could be when he's reviewing clay's findings from the templars training database, meaning there could be more of the message that juno told clay that we have not heard yet, and that what we heard was just the beginning of the conversation.

phew...

Serrachio
08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
i wrote this a while back, since it seems relevant i might as well post it here:

*inhales*

since the grand temple is the place where all of the "TOWCB" knowledge is supposed to be stored along with their plans to save the world, the nexus of time control mechanism should be there. what if that machine allows desmond to talk to juno (more like allows juno to see desmond's answer in her time, basicly looking into the future), then juno talks to william miles about their plan to free lucy from vidic and the templar eyes warning him to not say reveal anything of this plan until the time is right, juno then makes desmond stab lucy but just enough for her to fall unconscious from the shock and to make desmond enter the comatose state for him to heal his mind through the animus later on, the funeral is then staged with only william miles knowing what's going on at this point in time, after desmond tells of this moment of opportunity to juno in the grand temple, william knows that this would be the right time and reveals to desmond that the plan succeeded and that lucy is fine (if only because she could be the modern counterpart of eve and necessary to act as a sort of key with desmond).
the point where juno talks to william could be when he's reviewing clay's findings from the templars training database, meaning there could be more of the message that juno told clay that we have not heard yet, and that what we heard was just the beginning of the conversation.

phew...

No. Too elaborate.

nightcobra
08-20-2012, 11:32 AM
No. Too elaborate.

we got 3 members of an ancient civilization responsible for the creation of the human race using their technology to see into the future to deliver messages to a 21st century individual with pin point accuracy by talking to his ancestors knowing that he would be reliving their memories, as well as controlling this individual's body to kill another individual in the future...
i think my post is pretty simple when compared that what these 3 stooges cooked up :p

POP1Fan
08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
There is no Nexus of Time, there is a Synch Nexus. Unless I am losing something.

nightcobra
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
There is no Nexus of Time, there is a Synch Nexus. Unless I am losing something.

synch nexus is the point where the animus system can separate the altair partition from the ezio partition from the desmond partition, when desmond can learn nothing more from his ancestors the animus can restore the 3 partitions to their proper place restoring desmond's broken psyche.

the nexus of time is something invented by minerva, juno, and jupiter. it's purpose from what i gather...is to send a message directly into an individual in the future.

POP1Fan
08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
synch nexus is the point where the animus system can separate the altair partition from the ezio partition from the desmond partition, when desmond can learn nothing more from his ancestors the animus can restore the 3 partitions to their proper place restoring desmond's broken psyche.

the nexus of time is something invented by minerva, juno, and jupiter. it's purpose from what i gather...is to send a message directly into an individual in the future.

Yes. I watched the Revelations ending again and rembered about it. I knew I was losing something. But that is in no way related to time travel, but it's based on the calculations TWCB done to find out when certain events will happen.

Legendz54
08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Well it could work as long as Desmond goes back in time with the apple as a ghost so he doesn't change history, but then again.. thats what the animus is for. Highly doubt time travel will be in the game though.

nightcobra
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes. I watched the Revelations ending again and rembered about it. I knew I was losing something. But that is in no way related to time travel, but it's based on the calculations TWCB done to find out when certain events will happen.

though those 3 could manipulate certain events by using the nexus of time, talking with desmond and then desmond could show his plan in the grand temple, since those 3 ancients can see this going on they can coordinate desmond and the others by giving them clues and instructions, even for events that are in desmond's past that we weren't shown is still the future for those 3. so what we see happen in the modern times could all be orchestrated by minerva juno and jupiter since they well...saw it all before it happened and most likely acted accordingly.

brefcourte
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
No time travel at all. "Nothing ist true" just referes to the AC storyline itsself.
In AC3 Desmond will enter the grand temple, have a pretty unmotivated revelation like
"oh i am a animus-figure, relieved by somebody living in a cryostasischamber who survived the great cataclysm, by myself.
Ah i should just have a look, if earth is habitable already.
Every 10.000 years you asked some random guy, because unfortunately you can not do it by yourself.",
and then there will be some random twist which allows for a not so storydependent extension of the franchise!

Mr_Shade
08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
LOL did this comment stir the cogs?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709117-Potential-historical-deviation-Charles-Lee-secretly-back-in-America-before-1773?p=8544943&viewfull=1#post8544943

RatonhnhakeFan
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM
LOL did this comment stir the cogs?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/709117-Potential-historical-deviation-Charles-Lee-secretly-back-in-America-before-1773?p=8544943&viewfull=1#post8544943No. This is just something that I've been thinking about for a bit. I only started playing the series 2 months ago so I'm full of ideas :p

Mr_Shade
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
No. This is just something that I've been thinking about for a bit. I only started playing the series 2 months ago so I'm full of ideas :p
Odd timing though - maybe it's a paradox...

pacmanate
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Odd timing though - maybe it's a paradox...

Or a Piranha :nonchalance:

Mr_Shade
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Or a Piranha :nonchalance:
hmm time traveling Piranha..

Interesting read this thread be...

LightRey
08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think it will happen. Though there is (possibly) an artifact that can manipulate spacetime, as detailed in the email Desmond finds on the computer in the conference room in AC1, it only specifies a ship manifesting "in a future state", which is very vague. Additionally we have reason to believe that TWCB did not have the technology to manipulate time to any significant extent (else they would still be alive today, which they aren't). Finally, now that we know certain facts from TLA, we have to remember to take everything we've read on those computers with a grain of salt.

WolfTemplar94
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I think the Nexus Of Time is a place that doesn't belong to any specific time, a collection of time itself. I think TOWCB are in that Nexus, which is why they managed to talk Desmond and visa versa. I imagine they can view time but not directly influence it.

Slayer_WTF
08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I imagine they can view time but not directly influence it.

Maybe manipulate events through the Apple ( or POE ). As happened at the end of ACB in fact.

brefcourte
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I think the Nexus Of Time is a place that doesn't belong to any specific time, a collection of time itself. I think TOWCB are in that Nexus, which is why they managed to talk Desmond and visa versa. I imagine they can view time but not directly influence it.

It clearly referes to an interface where animus-figures from different time periods can interact. Note that sync NEXUS also referes to something within the animus.

IceHot100
08-20-2012, 02:11 PM
- Desmond & co bringing Eve/someone related to Eve from 18th century to 21st century because they need her to open/activate the Grand Temple.
- Ratonhnhaké:ton standing in New York in 1783 and the boom, he's in New York in 2012, climbing skyscrapers.
- Desmond appearing in 18th century.
- going back in time to save Lucy, or manipulating time to revive her

Millions of different things could happen

Yeah, that one was definitely time manipulation

But then Ezio saw Desmond, and that was via the Apple so that Philadelphia Project POE ain't the only one that's capable of time manipulation to some extent. Not to mention, what the hell is Nexus of Time??? How come was Desmond talking with Jupiter? How was Juno talking with Clay?

- Well, I think it would suck if Connor went to 2012, because he doesn't have any important purpose to go there...
- Same as the first thing: Desmond has no purpose to go back there and he already is technically in the past (via the Animus).
- Why would Desmond revive Lucy, he already knows that Lucy was a Templar...

I think time traveling would suck because it doesn't serve any real purpose. And it would take too long to start and end this in one game... and we don't want another continuation of Desmond's story!

BeCk41
08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
erm, people in the AC games relive memories, they don't really time travel... then again if reliving the memories is time traveling then I guess they do. I'm not sure if they will put any kind of time travel in AC3 besides reliving memories, but I guess we'll just have to see in October. :DDD

Umbra_Blade
08-20-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but the Animus itself is based on technology from TWCB. So it not possible every form of the animus technology has a network that can allow for the conscience of any person who has used an animus to be placed inside every animus that is made therein with this technology. My line of thinking comes from Clay being able to talk and interact with Desmond in the Animus Island, but Clay died weeks before his appearance and he has never been in the animus 2.0 that Desmond was in at the time of AC:R. So is it not also possible that the conscience of Juno, Minerva and Jupiter to have been ingrained into an Animus network from all those years ago to speak to Desmond in the same way.
Or perhaps it is something to do with the Apple Ezio had and Desmond touched, wasn't it altered by Minerva at the end of AC2, perhaps it allows Desmond to relive a particular memory of someone who was alive at that point in time, where Jupiter is explaining to Desmond about the temples, kinda like a video recording except using a person instead of a camera, as if I remember correctly Desmond doesn't speak in this section but only listens.

Calvarok
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but the Animus itself is based on technology from TWCB. So it not possible every form of the animus technology has a network that can allow for the conscience of any person who has used an animus to be placed inside every animus that is made therein with this technology. My line of thinking comes from Clay being able to talk and interact with Desmond in the Animus Island, but Clay died weeks before his appearance and he has never been in the animus 2.0 that Desmond was in at the time of AC:R. So is it not also possible that the conscience of Juno, Minerva and Jupiter to have been ingrained into an Animus network from all those years ago to speak to Desmond in the same way.
Or perhaps it is something to do with the Apple Ezio had and Desmond touched, wasn't it altered by Minerva at the end of AC2, perhaps it allows Desmond to relive a particular memory of someone who was alive at that point in time, where Jupiter is explaining to Desmond about the temples, kinda like a video recording except using a person instead of a camera, as if I remember correctly Desmond doesn't speak in this section but only listens.
Clay was on the memory card that lucy took from the animus 1.0 and put in the animus 2.0.

The nexus of time is a way to interact with the future, and we don't know how it works. The Templars have locked away the poe that can influence time directly after one experiment that made a ship materialaize in a future state

twenty_glyphs
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I've seen interviews where the writers and developers have said they've always wanted to avoid time travel in the franchise as much as possible. However, I still feel like a few clues are pointing towards one time travel event being possible, and it has to do with The Truth video from AC2.

I saw a theory that the voice that says "Eve" at the end of the AC2 Truth video doesn't appear to be Adam, since he turns around after it's said to look back, doesn't appear to move his mouth, and "Eve" doesn't seem to be a logical response to Eve saying "Adam, I have it." It's more logical for someone behind Eve trying to get her attention to say. The voice was the same as Desmond, so it seems possible that it could actually be Desmond. It's even more interesting when you play The Lost Archive and hear Adam and Eve talking in Memory 5. Eve's voice sounds similar to her AC2 voice, but Adam's voice sounds nothing like Desmond. Logistically, it seems if Adam's voice was supposed to be the same as Desmond's that they would have had Nolan North record that line of dialogue, since we know The Lost Archive audio was already on the Revelations disk when it was released. Desmond somehow going back in time to find Eve does fit Subject 16's words literally about finding Eve in Eden. Not saying it will happen, but it's a possible interpretation.

There are a few clues towards time repeating itself somehow, such as the Mandelbrot Set rendering and formula being on the wall at Abstergo, which is a recursive formula (recursive as in time repeating itself?). Also the Lorenz Attractor, often associated with the Butterfly Effect, often associated with time travel. There's also the Revelations 22:13 reference to the Alpha and Omega. Also, the fact that 12/21/2012 will be the Mayan date 13.0.0.0.0 (also on the wall at Abstergo), which was also a Mayan calendar date in 3114 BCE, around the time of the Biblical Adam and Eve (they've mysteriously avoided giving the actual date of Adam and Eve from the Truth video). There's just lots of little things like that that seem to be trying to say something, we just don't know what yet.

As for TWCB, the Encyclopedia and a few other things have hinted that they may perceive time differently than humans, perhaps with their Sixth Sense. The ability to see different moments in time fits with Ezio seeing the visions of Altaďr in Masyaf in Revelations (which weren't from the Bleeding Effect), and with Desmond seeing visions in Monterrigioni of events that happened there (which the AC Facebook page said last year weren't from the Bleeding Effect, but basically from Eagle Vision). So perhaps TWCB could perceive different events across time to some degree. It's still strange that they've pinpointed so much of Desmond's life events down so perfectly across the ages when they couldn't predict the solar catastrophe far in advance during their own time and Jupiter himself said he didn't know how things would end in his own time or in Desmond's. Desmond traveling back in time to find Eve and going back to 2012 to complete his work is one way of explaining how TWCB could know so much about him without knowing what happened later in his time.