PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed annual release argument all about quality, Ubisoft says

AlexEzio89
08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
The argument over whether blockbuster games like Assassin's Creed should be released on an annual basis is "strange", the series' creative director has said.

Ubisoft Montreal's Alex Hutchinson has said the argument should not be about the frequency of the release schedule, but merely about the quality.

"I find it strange we've decided yearly is too often," Hutchinson said during a panel at GDC Europe today. "If Radiohead put out an album every month, I'd buy it. It's about the quality."

Annual sequels allow Ubisoft to keep the brand "in people's minds", Hutchinson argued. "We can keep telling the story."
A franchise brand team was formed after the success of Assassin's Creed 2 - the point at which work on Assassin's Creed 3 began. It has since tracked the growth of the series, as Ubisoft released two Ezio-era sequels in successive years.

Assassin's Creed 3 is as displaced from Assassin's Creed 2 as much as Medal of Honor is from Call of Duty," Hutchinson added, saying that the team treated this year's instalment like it was an entirely new franchise.
The panel also included details of a location cut from the game's final version. Players would have originally been able to explore Philadelphia - a key city in the American Revolution. But its grid-like road layout posed problems for the team (technically in terms of draw distance, and it wasn't as much fun), so the area will now only be glimpsed in cut-scenes.

SOURCE: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-15-assassins-creed-annual-release-argument-all-about-quality-ubisoft-says

DarkSolitude-X
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
you can still have a quality product, but people will still get burnt out on it. If you ask me, annual releases (in the long term) can kill profits.

Ezio270
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I like what he said

AlexEzio89
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
me too

naran6142
08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
imo, I think ACR suffered a bit for the 1 year cycle. Still a great game, but still...

notafanboy
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
if they can make a quality game within a year(which i doubt), imagine what they can do with 2 or 3 years ! Think about it ubisoft !

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm sure it's all about quality for the actual devs. Not so much for Ubisoft higher-ups. For them it's all about $$$

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
An annual cycle could work fine if you actually plan it that way. For example, look at Brotherhood. It was being planned at the same time AC2 was, and it turned out great, with a solid story and several interesting new gameplay mechanics. Then, there was ACR. Completely unplanned, less than ten months of development time, and none of the new features were good. It still came through for me with a good story, but without that, it didn't have much going for it. But if they're truly committing themselves to a yearly cycle, it's actually good news, because they can plan ahead and turn out another Brotherhood rather than another Revelations.

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Ubi has enough people to have yearly releases. In fact, they probably could have 3 teams going all at the same time. One on a 3 year cycle for major releases and two alternating teams for the other two years in between - much like call of duty does. That way everyone has at least two years to make the game.

I doubt we will see a new AC after AC3 until the next gen consoles come out. That gives them a fresh start on a new system and they can present an entirely new trilogy, or whatever, on the same platform.

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Ubi has enough people to have yearly releases. In fact, they probably could have 3 teams going all at the same time. One on a 3 year cycle for major releases and two alternating teams for the other two years in between - much like call of duty does. That way everyone has at least two years to make the game.

I doubt we will see a new AC after AC3 until the next gen consoles come out. That gives them a fresh start on a new system and they can present an entirely new trilogy, or whatever, on the same platform.

Please don't use COD to demonstrate how annual titles can work well...

But anyway, I think there'll be a Connor spinoff in the fall of 2013, new consoles or not.

twenty_glyphs
08-15-2012, 05:20 PM
imo, I think ACR suffered a bit for the 1 year cycle. Still a great game, but still...

I agree, but there's a difference between a one year development cycle and a one year release schedule. Brotherhood and Revelations both had one year development cycles because they weren't planned in advance; they were reactions to the popularity of AC2 and the scope they created for the franchise with that game. I think Brotherhood did much better because it grew organically out of research and groundwork that had already been laid down for AC2, but couldn't be fleshed out for the game in the time they had. So Brotherhood really had a little more than a year of development time, but it would be hard to quantify how much time was spent on the pieces during AC2's development cycle.

On the other hand, Revelations' story and concept was built from the ground up in about a year, requiring new location research and planning. They also tried to fit in so many new ideas that I just don't think it worked in such a short time. With more time to iterate, they probably could have improved bomb crafting a lot, had actual random events that they said the game would have, and either refine the Den Defense system into a better system or just realize it needed to be cut altogether.

It seems like they have structured their teams so they can have at least two teams working on AC games simultaneously now, allowing for much longer development times but still having games come out every year. Under that system, I'd imagine if there was a game in 2013, it wouldn't have anyone from AC3 working on it, but 2014 or even 2015 might be an AC game from the current AC3 core team.

I agree with Alex that if the quality of the games is high, I have no problem getting it every year. It's a nice annual occurrence that you can look forward to. It also allows for huge scope when it comes to the universe and what they can do with the story. But if the games become stale, and the stories aren't interesting, the annual releases will probably hurt the series. I think either way, Ubisoft has to know at some point interest in Assassin's Creed will probably wane whether it's on an annual release schedule or not. So it's smart to try to capitalize on it as much as they can now.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Brotherhood and Revelations both had one year development cycles
Nope..

Revelations` development Cycle was Shorter, because it was planned at first as a 3DS before being forged into Revelations... Also remember what some Ubi devs said regarding an AC game in 2011. they had no plan for another one in 2011, but the higher ups decided otherwise. Brotherhood, however; was planned far earlier than Revelations` plans did..

kriegerdesgottes
08-15-2012, 07:19 PM
People need to miss a game in order to be continually excited for it. I remember when I got ahold of AC2 for the first time I felt like I was holding some ancient treasure and I had a similar feeling with Brotherhood but when I got Revelations I looked at it and said "Meh" and threw it in the seat to drive home and I will probably do the same with ACIII. Right now I desperately miss the Arkham games. I know it's been just under a year but I would never want them to make another one by October. I like being excited to see when they will announce a new one and wait and miss the franchise for a while. Yearly games are just a mistake all the way around. You burn out the consumers and take away much needed development time from the development team which will affect quality. Face it, Brotherhood was good but it was no ACII and Revelations was just a rehash of a rehash and just an all around mediocre crappy game. I could not be happier that they are taking a break because my passion for AC has definitely diminished and maybe them taking a break will help.

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I could not be happier that they are taking a break because my passion for AC has definitely diminished and maybe them taking a break will help.
Are they? I don't think they have ever said yet "there won't be AC game in 2013" and even if they did, we know that it may mean nothing in the end.

It's absolutely possible there may be another AC next year.

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM

But anyway, I think there'll be a Connor spinoff in the fall of 2013, new consoles or not.

Sorry, aside from a timeframe reference there was no content comparison intended and that was the only one that came to mind right away. I don't play COD because it's basically the same game every year and it doesn't deserve comparisons to a story driven franchise such as AC. I can't think of a franchise that had yearly releases which actually had content to them. Are there any? Given the right infrastructure and teams, Ubi could do it but it definitely has to be planned out extensively.

kriegerdesgottes
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Are they? I don't think they have ever said yet "there won't be AC game in 2013" and even if they did, we know that it may mean nothing in the end.

It's absolutely possible there may be another AC next year.

You're right I'll believe it when I see it as well but Alex Amancio did say they are planning on taking a break after this one and now with Alex Hutchinson saying this, it seems to me like Ubisoft is planning on taking a break for a while. They could always back track and start seeing dollar signs again like they did last time with Revelations but hopefully we will get our break.

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
You're right I'll believe it when I see it as well but Alex Amancio did say they are planning on taking a break after this one and now with Alex Hutchinson saying this, it seems to me like Ubisoft is planning on taking a break for a while. They could always back track and start seeing dollar signs again like they did last time with Revelations but hopefully we will get our break.Yeah, the franchise could really use a break after AC3 and come back next-gen. But still. New consoles will not be out till Holidays 2013 and will have very small install base for the first year/two. While PS360 will have like 150 million install base. I'm not sure if Ubisoft will be able to resist squeezing one more AC before shifting to next-gen

Unless they have Watch Dogs for Holidays 2013 slot set already. In such case, they would definitely put AC on a break to have everyone focused on their new IP

ToniTorsi
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM

I doubt that.

Developers said they are taking a break after ACIII (after Desmonds story is wraped up)

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I doubt that.

Developers said they are taking a break after ACIII (after Desmonds story is wraped up)

That may be what the developers said, but mark my words, the executives will push for a new game next year just like they did with Revelations. And since one year isn't enough time to develop a new protagonist and setting, they're going to fall back on Connor again. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, assuming they did it right. But they WILL do it. They may even drag out Desmond for another game, who knows? But there will be an Assassin's Creed game out next fall.

FirestarLuva
08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
That may be what the developers said, but mark my words, the executives will push for a new game next year just like they did with Revelations. And since one year isn't enough time to develop a new protagonist and setting, they're going to fall back on Connor again. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, assuming they did it right. But they WILL do it. They may even drag out Desmond for another game, who knows? But there will be an Assassin's Creed game out next fall.

I agree. I always had the feeling they will make another game with Connor, but not a trilogy. I doubt they'd keep him for only one game. And about the setting, French Revolution anyone?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I agree. I always had the feeling they will make another game with Connor, but not a trilogy. I doubt they'd keep him for only one game. And about the setting, French Revolution anyone?French Revolution would be a natural continuation of AC3. Though personally I would prefer if it had Aveline, considering her French heritage it suits her more

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree. I always had the feeling they will make another game with Connor, but not a trilogy. I doubt they'd keep him for only one game. And about the setting, French Revolution anyone?

I've been pushing for a French Revolution game for so long, it's not funny ;) I dunno if Connor would be suited for it, though. In my opinion, they were kind of pushing it with the "Ezio had kids when he was like 60" thing. It felt contrived. It kind of worked because he was such a womanizer, but at the same time... it was a pretty lame excuse to make another game. Not sure I want the same to happen with Connor, who would be pushing 50 by the end of the French Revolution.

FirestarLuva
08-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I've been pushing for a French Revolution game for so long, it's not funny ;) I dunno if Connor would be suited for it, though. In my opinion, they were kind of pushing it with the "Ezio had kids when he was like 60" thing. It felt kind of contrived. It kind of worked because he was such a womanizer, but at the same time... it was kind of a lame excuse to make another game. Not sure I want the same to happen with Connor, who would be pushing 50 by the end of the French Revolution.

We don't know Connor's age. If he is born in 1755, then he'd be in his 40's when it all ended. Also RatonFan, about Aveline appearing, how about Connor/Aveline co-op in the next game, but I doubt it, since Aveline will be much older at that time. Probably in her late 50's.

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
We don't know Connor's age. If he is born in 1755, then he'd be in his 40's when it all ended. Also RatonFan, about Aveline appearing, how about Connor/Aveline co-op in the next game, but I doubt it, since Aveline will be much older at that time. Probably in her late 50's.

Yeah, Aveline would be in her mid-to-late 50s at the end of French Revolution (unless she was like 2 years old in 1759 when she 'joined' the Order, if you can say that 2-years old kids can knowingly join anything). But still, Ezio was a granpda in ACR and it wasn't really a problem.

And kids are not an issue. Just slap some Memory Seals/the Shroud on the plot and problem's gone. We have an excuse how are we able to view memories post-kids.

A game with 2 assassins? Could be very interesting!

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 10:22 PM

It's already been announced that Ac3 will get a dedicated DLC team so we well probably be spoon fed DLC for a while. Then you have the AC movie in the works as well - plenty of revenue ahead, not to mention any ancillary stuff they might do.

Ubi also has a problem with continuing too much without making a stopping off point. They will have gone 5 full length games, a bunch of spin-offs, and not to mention comics, etc. With a next gen system coming out, there will be a push to get new people into the series and you need a good point for them to pick up the franchise. Asking them to get caught up and understand the series at that point is alot especially if they skipped a generation of consoles or trade in their old consoles for new ones, and then to top it off, everyone makes the next gen systems not backward compatible. That's not to say the story can't be read on the wiki or info gotten on the forums, but it is much more fun to play the games.

They need to regroup, make a plan that can sustain another 4-6 games and then stick to it. That'll carry them through the next gen cycle and if all goes well they can start again on the subsequent cycle.

Like was said earlier, I want to WANT to buy the game and not feel like "oh, another AC game is out. I guess I better get it to keep up on the story."

SixKeys
08-15-2012, 11:16 PM
There's no question in my mind that Ubi is planning on releasing a new AC game next year, whether or not the devs want to take a break. And I won't be picking it up until it's in the bargain bin. Every series needs a breather now and then, the cracks were starting to show in ACR and at this point I'm mostly invested in seeing Desmond's story come to a close. Once he's out, it seems like a good place for me to step out of the story too, so my love for the franchise can grow again.

kriegerdesgottes
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
There's no question in my mind that Ubi is planning on releasing a new AC game next year, whether or not the devs want to take a break. And I won't be picking it up until it's in the bargain bin. Every series needs a breather now and then, the cracks were starting to show in ACR and at this point I'm mostly invested in seeing Desmond's story come to a close. Once he's out, it seems like a good place for me to step out of the story too, so my love for the franchise can grow again.

Well said, I totally agree. If Ubisoft decides to make another game next year, I will not buy it unless like you said, I find it for like 15 bucks used with all DLC included.

tarrero
08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
I do think the same!!!!
IUbisoft should follow RDR formula.

SixKeys
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
I should mention that part of my decision is Ubisoft's treatment of its customers. I'm simply tired of all the BS with their glitchy patches, multiplayer servers constantly going down, their treatment of the PC community, poor communication etc. They need to get their act together before I buy more of their products.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Well said, I totally agree. If Ubisoft decides to make another game next year, I will not buy it unless like you said, I find it for like 15 bucks used with all DLC included.
Extremely flawed logic..

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 11:55 PM
If Ubisoft decides to make another game next year, I will not buy it unless like you said, I find it for like 15 bucks used with all DLC included.
Extremely flawed logic..

poor communication etc. They need to get their act together before I buy more of their products.

Not true..

kriegerdesgottes
08-16-2012, 12:03 AM
How is that flawed logic? I didn't even put my logic for saying that so maybe you should elaborate on that. I've already given my reasoning for it. Sorry it hurts your feelings when someone is sick of your favorite franchise. But Ubisoft has indeed done some very inexcusable things to a once great franchise. And I will not continue to support it as long as they continue to make money off of mediocrity. And like I said before I am simply feeling franchise fatigue in general. I've been on this train EVERY DAY since 2006 watching for trailers and learning anything new about the franchise that I can and I'm sick of being disappointed by rushed rehashes. Is that good enough logic for you?

Assassin_M
08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
How is that flawed logic? I didn't even put my logic for saying that so maybe you should elaborate on that. I've already given my reasoning for it. Sorry it hurts your feelings when someone is sick of your favorite franchise. But Ubisoft has indeed done some very inexcusable things to a once great franchise. And I will not continue to support it as long as they continue to make money off of mediocrity. And like I said before I am simply feeling franchise fatigue in general. I've been on this train EVERY DAY since 2006 watching for trailers and learning anything new about the franchise that I can and I'm sick of being disappointed by rushed rehashes. Is that good enough logic for you?
Be sick, be frustrated, be angry, BUT do not stoop to a VERY low level by saying that after AC III, Im done.. then say that you`ll buy any game after that for 15 bucks..
That is Hypocrisy, pure and simple..

TheFrontLine
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
I think you seemed to have forgotten the keyword: "unless".

kriegerdesgottes
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Not really because I still have a glimpse of hope for the franchise and I guess you can say I'm giving Ubisoft one last chance to redeem itself and admittedly it looks good but it doesn't blow my skirt up. Sorry I hate that analogy but it's all I can think of at the moment. And even if it does turn out to be fantastic then great but I'm still taking a break because I need a break from the franchise.

Assassin_M
08-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Not really because I still have a glimpse of hope for the franchise and I guess you can say I'm giving Ubisoft one last chance to redeem itself and admittedly it looks good but it doesn't blow my skirt up. Sorry I hate that analogy but it's all I can think of at the moment. And even if it does turn out to be fantastic then great but I'm still taking a break because I need a break from the franchise.
Take a break and do whatever whenever, just don't buy it used. because, supposedly, you are taking a break. how is it taking a break if you`ll just buy it used ? sounds like an excuse to me..

TheFrontLine
08-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Take a break and do whatever whenever, just don't buy it used. because, supposedly, you are taking a break. how is it taking a break if you`ll just buy it used ? sounds like an excuse to me..

A break does not mean you'll stop playing AssCreed forever.
How long do you think it takes for a game to drop down to $15 bundled with all its DLCs?

kriegerdesgottes
08-16-2012, 12:18 AM

Call it what you will but I'm a bit tired of shelling out 100 bucks for the CE for a game that is always the crappy version because I never get the good one and then have the game turn out to be mediocre to decent because as it seems, the heart of AC walked out of Ubisoft and went to THQ plus Ubisoft wants to milk the franchise dry with annual mediocre games so I'm a little less willing to eventually end up paying 150 dollars with all the DLC in the end than just waiting and buying a full version later for cheaper. Not necessarily used but def no more pre-orders. It's always a waste of money.

Assassin_M
08-16-2012, 12:18 AM
A break does not mean you'll stop playing AssCreed forever.
How long do you think it takes for a game to drop down to $15 bundled with all its DLCs?
He used "used" so yeah.. taking a break does mean "TAKING A BREAK"
Not necessarily forever, but its still "A BREAK" Yeah ? doesn't take a genius to deduce that a break is en extended period of time "NOT DOING SOMETHING"

TheFrontLine
08-16-2012, 12:38 AM
He used "used" so yeah.. taking a break does mean "TAKING A BREAK"
Not necessarily forever, but its still "A BREAK" Yeah ? doesn't take a genius to deduce that a break is en extended period of time "NOT DOING SOMETHING"

If Ubisoft decides to make another game next year, I will not buy it unless like you said, I find it for like 15 bucks used with all DLC included.

It seems you did not understand my post.
You disregarded the word 'unless' in the above post, or just didn't comprehend it as intended, which made your first reply 'flawed (Remember that word?)' to begin with.

And onto that "Take a break and do whatever yadda yadda... " reply.

It takes quite a bit of time after all DLCs are released for it to be bundled with the original game and be $15. That is a very long time after the release date. Kriegerdesgottes said he'll buy it then after taking a break. Well, eh. It's hard to explain this since the 'break' would be over the second he buys it. So, what he has said is in no way 'hypocritical' or 'an excuse'.

I also dislike how you say 'Not true..' as a reply to SixKeys. Especially when the specific section is 'poor communication'. I suggest you check out the PC section of this forum. Almost every answer to problems is 'Contact support on my signature' by the head forum guys. The support is just crap based on the responses as the PC gamers have helped each other more than support has helped us. They are slow to respond, and usually give the most obvious answer as their solution.

Sorry for that little PC rant, but don't say it's "Not true.." just because you haven't experienced it.

LoyalACFan
08-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Call it what you will but I'm a bit tired of shelling out 100 bucks for the CE for a game that is always the crappy version because I never get the good one and then have the game turn out to be mediocre to decent because as it seems, the heart of AC walked out of Ubisoft and went to THQ plus Ubisoft wants to milk the franchise dry with annual mediocre games so I'm a little less willing to eventually end up paying 150 dollars with all the DLC in the end than just waiting and buying a full version later for cheaper. Not necessarily used but def no more pre-orders. It's always a waste of money.

So why in God's name did you buy the $100 CE? You know you can just get the game for almost half that, and even after ALL the DLC, you still wouldn't be up to $100.

Assassin_M
08-16-2012, 12:43 AM
It seems you did not understand my post.
You disregarded the word 'unless' in the above post, or just didn't comprehend it as intended, which made your first reply 'flawed (Remember that word?)' to begin with.

And onto that "Take a break and do whatever yadda yadda... " reply.

It takes quite a bit of time after all DLCs are released for it to be bundled with the original game and be $15. That is a very long time after the release date. Kriegerdesgottes said he'll buy it then after taking a break. Well, eh. It's hard to explain this since the 'break' would be over the second he buys it. So, what he has said is in no way 'hypocritical' or 'an excuse'.

I also dislike how you say 'Not true..' as a reply to SixKeys. Especially when the specific section is 'poor communication'. I suggest you check out the PC section of this forum. Almost every answer to problems is 'Contact support on my signature' by the head forum guys. The support is just crap based on the responses as the PC gamers have helped each other more than support has helped us. They are slow to respond, and usually give the most obvious answer as their solution.

Sorry for that little PC rant, but don't say it's "Not true.." just because you haven't experienced it.
Yeah.. keep twisting words how you like, Im not wasting my time here..

and second, communication is not just complaints about issues.. there are other things, but of course you`ll say that im wrong and "flawed" and that you`r right.. please continue to do so.. Im done

RatonhnhakeFan
08-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Assassin_M sure loves to pick up arguments :P

Assassin_M
08-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah I love raging at people for no reason..

MT4K
08-16-2012, 12:57 AM

Arguments and M are like magnets: They just attract each other :p.

Locopells
08-16-2012, 01:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NIgfiSzCy1o

projectpat06
08-16-2012, 03:18 AM
But M has had some valid evidence to back up his heated debates so I'll throw some respect his way as newbie to this whole forum thing. It does keep me entertained between writing cover letters and submitting resumes.

I have to agree with Hutchinson's argument that as long as they continue to produce quality games, an annual release shouldn't be something for fans to complain about. I mean, I remember playing AC1 when I first started college and couldn't wait for the next one, and was slightly disappointed to hear Patrice Désilets say they would give the franchise a few years before the next installment. Some fans realize they won't be able to play video games as much with a demanding career so it kinda sucks to hear you won't get to continue the story for another 3 years when you might not have interest by then. But then again, most fans stay dedicated no matter how busy they may be . As long as they have separate development teams working on these games to give them quality, I'm 100% for it. If Hutchinson is publicly defending the annual release, I'd bet a nickel we'll see AC 3.5 in 2013 and then new protagonist on the new consoles. Makes sense for business to do so when the sales stay high and AC is one of your staple products. In defense for ACR, it was originally supposed to be for the 3DS. Now I haven't looked into previous sales for DS games, but I imagine the decision to port it to the main consoles was made based on a higher sales projection. For fans, it gave us closure to Ezio's and Altair's story, and it tied us over for another year so not much to complain about here given it wasn't intended for consoles originally. Plus, would you have rather had them just drop those two stories like a bad habit leaving us to wonder what the heck happened to them for years to come??? Exactly. With Connor's story on the horizon, I'm pretty sure both the fans and the developers will want to expand it to another game. I'm hoping for the french revolution. As I've stated before in other posts, the treaty of Paris, is signed in 1783 to end the war so this could be a nice place to have connor transition into the French revolution that officially starts in 1789.

Yes, RatonhnhakeFan, I know you want to see Aveline as the protangonist for the French Revolution, but she may be too old by then. Guess we'll see

projectpat06
08-16-2012, 04:02 AM
So why in God's name did you buy the $100 CE? You know you can just get the game for almost half that, and even after ALL the DLC, you still wouldn't be up to $100.

agreed. I got ACR, Uncharted 3, and battlefield 3 new for $30 each last november right after they came out at best buy. Gotta love black friday and cyber monday

kriegerdesgottes
08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

I was a fool in love with AC but my heart has been broken twice too many times lol. I just had to have the extra dlc and the statues and Brotherhood didn't even come with anything special. Live and learn I guess. If Ubisoft comes out with another game in 2013 I'll probably buy a game of the year edition wayyy down the line for much cheaper or possibly get it used. Either one.