PDA

View Full Version : Just about to give up with IL2....very :-(

nick1958
08-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi all

I never had problems installing & running IL2 both 1946 & FB when I had XP, several years back.
Now have Windows 7 Pro.......
Tried both Windows 7 and in XP mode.
In W7, can't get it (them) to install...... double click the setup icon....... nothing.
In XP mode, Managed to install IL2 (both), but when I double click to run either, just get the 'running disc' cursor for a few seconds.... then nothing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I7 2.8 ghz
8 Gb Ram
gts 450

x6BL_Brando
08-14-2012, 11:58 PM
There is no need to run in XP mode to make 46 work under Win 7. The important action to avoid is placing the game in Program Files (x86 or 64bit). Open a new Folder in the root of C and point the installation there when you get the prompt. You can name the new folder Games or whatever....

There is a good sticky at the top of the Community Help section which will explain using the a.exe and so on. Keep trying - it will work.

Tully__
08-15-2012, 12:25 AM
There is a good sticky at the top of the Community Help section which will explain using the a.exe and so on. Keep trying - it will work.
This one: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/279934-how-to-get-il21946-to-work-with-win7-FIX
In summary:
if you don't have the US printed version of the disk you'll need to update Securom to the Win7 version.
If the install wont run in Win7 mode, navigate the disk and find a.exe, run that. If it wont run from the disk copy the disk contents to your hard drive and run it from there.
When the install gets to the Standard/Custom choice, choose custom and set the install location outside C:\Program Files

nick1958
08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
There is no need to run in XP mode to make 46 work under Win 7. The important action to avoid is placing the game in Program Files (x86 or 64bit). Open a new Folder in the root of C and point the installation there when you get the prompt. You can name the new folder Games or whatever....

IT WORKED!!
Many thanks both.
As you say & for clarity for others.....

Created new folder (I called it IL2") in C drive
Double clicked on a.exe to start the installation.
Pointed installation to IL2 at prompt.

BINGO!!!

All works great........and the new TrackIR (bought for the Phoenix RC flight sim) works as well.

Thanks again.

frior-one
08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Check out the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com

x6BL_Brando
08-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Check out the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com (http://www.dangerdogz.com)

I'm glad it worked out ok - and +1 to frior's suggestion!

Bearcat99
09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
See how close you came to walking away from all the goodness on a humbug tip?! :cool: :)