PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 will "look next-gen on current generation consoles" do you agree?

ACfan443
08-14-2012, 03:36 AM
So Ubisoft has claimed that AC3 will look 'next-gen' on current gen consoles. A bold statement. With games like Read Dead, Uncharted and of course Watch Dogs, can AC3 look as good as these, let alone 'next-gen'?

In my opinion, after watching the gameplay demos, I think it looks good, but not 'next-gen' (I understand that video compression doesn't allow the true quality of these demos to be displayed). Obviously the game isn't out yet so we can't tell for sure. But so far, after watching the demos and trailers, do you think they're right in saying it will look next-gen?

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Yes...

And Sleeping Dogs ? I dont think its on par with Uncharted and red dead..

tarrero
08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
So far, it does not......... You see, the fact that you can, more than any other games I think, literally interact with 99% percent of the enviroment, consumes A LOT of both time and resources.... And therefore, the quality of the graphics is reduced in comparison to other games, mostly on consoles. However graphics have never been my main interest.

rileypoole1234
08-14-2012, 04:10 AM
No I don't agree. It does look really good, but as M said, Uncharted 3 was loads better. It wasn't open world of course, and that's a huge factor. I don't think many games could be classified as "next gen on current gen consoles" yet. Watch Dogs or Crysis 3 maybe might, but as far as I know we've only seen PC versions.

projectpat06
08-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Next gen? I don't know. I haven't seen a Next game or what it's capable of. I mean, remember how incredible the first Uncharted looked when ps3 came out? The leap from ps2 to ps3 for me was huge in terms of graphics, and the gaming industry is keen on innovation and outdoing their former products so I think this next gen will be something we cannot fathom or comprehend just yet. I do know that this game has outdone its previous installments immensely in terms of both graphics and mechanics just by watching the demos. I'm really excited to see the final product. They could be referring to the ability to have hundreds of soldiers on screen, the weather effects (but we saw this in UC3 and RDR), and more animations than a Kama sutra guide when talking about next gen but who knows.

ProletariatPleb
08-14-2012, 05:37 AM
No I don't agree. It does look really good, but as M said, Uncharted 3 was loads better. It wasn't open world of course, and that's a huge factor. I don't think many games could be classified as "next gen on current gen consoles" yet. Watch Dogs or Crysis 3 maybe might, but as far as I know we've only seen PC versions.
Indeed, they were showcased on the PC.

MetalCreed
08-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Uhhhh what? Watch Dogs looks next gen alright (and no it can't look as good as it by a landslide) but I'm pretty sure it's not. AC3 is not on par with Uncharted by FAR, but it could hold its own with Red Dead.

Although Watch Dogs was running on a high-end PC, so I'm not sure how it will look on the consoles but guaranteed it will look better than AC3 or RDR. Uncharted is not an open world game so your comparison is kinda void.

Chocoburger
08-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Yes, because it's possible for a game running on 2004-2006 hardware to look like it's running on 2012-2013 hardware. MAKES LOTS OF SENSE! Wait, no it doesn't.
AC 3 will look great on consoles, as a console game. They are pushing the hardware as far as it can go, and having 2000 NPCs acting all at once is the big wow factor for 'Anvil Next', but other than all the amazing animations and 2000 NPCs at once, it will only look marginally better than Revelations, which honestly looked very good running on 2004-2006 hardware.

Aphex_Tim
08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
It probably has to do with video compression but some details in the demos and trailers look incredibly crappy.
Look at that pistol for example:

*Deleted awesome shot of Connor holding a blurry pistol*

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
^ please remove that Pic.. the trailer was leaked..

Aphex_Tim
08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
^ please remove that Pic.. the trailer was leaked..

My bad :p

pacmanate
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes...

And Sleeping Dogs ? I dont think its on par with Uncharted and red dead..

That's cause he said Watch Dogs....

Also that new trailer was disapointing graphically. Textures looked horrible, things looked blocky. It wasn't impressive whatsoever.

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
That's cause he said Watch Dogs....
Sorry Sorry..

I read it wrong... thinking about sleeping dogs xD

Watch Dogs yep

TheHumanTowel
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
No I don't think it looks next gen. The animations are incredibly smooth and transition seamlessly but some of the textures look really quite bad. The game still looks pretty just not next-gen.

playassassins1
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Uncharted beats AC III graphics-wise, But. Uncharted 3 wasn't fluid at all. AC III doesn't look Next-gen, but it has a bit of both. Graphics look beautiful(IMO), and animations look great. Just not next-gen

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Don't forget the whole 'next gen' is not down to just the graphics..[which at present have not really been seen in the flesh.. the youtube vids don't do it justice]

it's AI - gameplay - animation and other things as well ;)

I'm sure the game will push the current consoles harder than ever before on a AC game.. ;)

roostersrule2
08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
AC3 will have good graphics it wont look next-gen but it will have next-gen features like moving snow, 2000 NCP's, awesome animations and the cutscene mo-cap thing. It will hold it's own against other releases this year though.

notafanboy
the graphics looked awesome in this trailer, but as some have already said, some of the textures looked bad, like the mast at the end of the trailer. Which is weird because AC has always had good textures

Legendz54
Im not going to judge the graphics from any of the gameplay trailers but from the demo. I would say the new Anvil next engine is fantastic considering it has to withhold and prepare all the graphics and textures from this HUGE open world game with heaps of features, its as close to next gen as you can get.

ACfan443
08-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I agree that the reason watch dogs looks 'next gen' is because it was played on a gaming PC. Games which are showcased on PCs give console users false impression (IMO). I'm not some tech expert so don't attack me, just correct me if I'm wrong.

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
the graphics looked awesome in this trailer, but as some have already said, some of the textures looked bad, like the mast at the end of the trailer. Which is weird because AC has always had good textures

don't forget that compression won't help - and the footage shown maybe old [pre alpha] ;)

I agree that the reason watch dogs looks 'next gen' is because it was played on a gaming PC. Games which are showcased on PCs give console users false impression (IMO). I'm not some tech expert so don't attack me, just correct me if I'm wrong.

Most if not all games companies - showcase the game running on the best hardware - so you see the game as intended.

If the game is a exclusive to say PS3 - they sometimes even show screenshots from PC - due to being written on them..

Most PC's are capable of running games as they show them - if you have the correct hardware - DX11 cards are the norm now - so games will show off those extra features :)

Watch Dogs - is slightly different - since it's still some time off - and may surprise some when it's released ;) [that is all I can say]

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
ALLLL of the "No" will turn around just as you play the game..

Its a bit unfair, really to judge the game now...seeing as each piece of media shows a difference in visuals from the one preceding it... and for the better might I add..

RatonhnhakeFan
08-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't really care about graphics. I play my favorite old crappy looking games all the time. Still, I think AC3 looks very good. It was nice to see that they improved Ratonhnhaké:ton's face textures compared to E3 Naval demo

BBALive
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Not if the textures and some of the models stay as they are.

Sure it has some next-gen features like deforming snow and dynamic water simulation. The animations are great too. However, the textures look pretty awful.

I'm going to wait until I play the game to judge it fully.

notafanboy
08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
don't forget that compression won't help - and the footage shown maybe old [pre alpha] ;)

]

that doesn´t explain why the water looks so **** good, why isn´t the water affected by the video compression ?. Im not saying i don´t belive you but some of the textures looks weird to me

FirestarLuva
08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
ALLLL of the "No" will turn around just as you play the game..

Its a bit unfair, really to judge the game now...

I agree. Can't believe people are complaining about graphics even before the game is out. Would you rather have Ubisoft focus more on gameplay and story or graphics? To be honest, I wouldn't mind if the graphics are the same as Revelations. The final version isn't done yet, like for example, look at Connor's face at the beginning of the E3 Naval demo and the Gamescom Naval trailer (if you managed to see it), big improvement, no? Next-gen doesn't only mean better graphics, textures, for example, what I really liked is that Connor's legs didn't go through his clothes (the clipping with the Brutus armor really irked me) while he walked unlike previous games. That's a good improvement, right?

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
that doesn´t explain why the water looks so **** good, why isn´t the water affected by the video compression ?. Im not saying i don´t belive you but some of the textures looks weird to me
texture detail maybe due to being pre-aplha footage - since we did see some of this in the pre-alpha ? - If I am remembering rightly.. so some maybe placeholders for the final artwork.

The water is a shader - so it's not a texture. :)

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 02:06 PM
the water is a shader - so it's not a texture. :)
finally !!!

Thank you!!

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM
finally !!!

Thank you!!
I wouldn't start shouting that out..

That was just a educated guess.. not official :P

looks like one to me though... ;)

WHEN the trailer is officially released - I expect I will able to get some REAL answers for you guys..

SteelCity999
08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Don't forget the whole 'next gen' is not down to just the graphics..[which at present have not really been seen in the flesh.. the youtube vids don't do it justice]

I'm sure the game will push the current consoles harder than ever before on a AC game.. ;)

I have to agree here. I m no expert but you have to believe that the Anvil Next engine has been dumbed down a bit to run on this gen consoles. It would not make much sense to create an entirely new engine to use on one game that is so close to the end of a console cycle. We will probably see this same engine on the new consoles, albeit with a few enhancements that they use to the fullest. So you do get a next gen experience but from different perspectives - not necessarily graphically.

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Well AnvilNext - is not just a graphics engine.. people seem to be forgetting that..

It controls the Weather Systems,Animations and AI - as well as a host of other things :)

moc100
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
The only game I currently consider to be next-gen on current consoles is The Last of Us. Not only because of the graphics but also because of the physics, the AI and the linear-sandbox gameplay.

pacmanate
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I think when people see "look next gen" in context, it sounds like graphics only.

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
The only game I currently consider to be next-gen on current consoles is The Last of Us. Not only because of the graphics but also because of the physics, the AI and the linear-sandbox gameplay.
Errr Last of Us is not a sandbox game..
and how does Linear Gameplay make it Next Gen ?

RatonhnhakeFan
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
The Last of Us looks as last-gen in terms of gameplay as Uncharted was. Naughty Dog only impresses with graphics

Mr_Shade
08-14-2012, 03:03 PM
I think when people see "look next gen" in context, it sounds like graphics only.
maybe.. but then that's a very shallow view?

You also look at the other things.. simulating the weather or the motion of the sea.. the animation of the NPC's etc and even the reactions of the AI..

Next Gen is a very wide term - and 'looking' next gen is too..

;)

ACfan443
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Taking into account what the engine is capable of (NPC rendering, AI etc) that could definitely be seen as next gen, but I don't think it graphically can.

We know the textures look bad because it's pre alpha footage, but will they actually be improved come release day? Because I thought that after the alpha phase, they only remove glitches and touch up on minor things

DoNNiEDaRkO50
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Actually now I can say it right to you your face ,, YES !
at first I wasn't sure ,,, I thought the graphics looked Kick *** but not next -gen ,,,But the freedom edition Unboxing trailer gave me some hope
here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8b7nfCecaU) at 0:46 ,, the graphics looked very next-gen for me (I like the soundtrack also)
but after seeing the naval warfare trailer all my doubts disappeared,,, the graphics looked really good ,,, it looked next-gen ,,and did you notice that Connor's hair moves in this trailer?and it even moves pretty smooth
I'm sure the graphics in the final game will look next-gen

rileypoole1234
08-14-2012, 04:51 PM

True. I mean, it looks truly awesome and it's my most anticipated this year by far. The footage we've seen looks great. I'm playing Sleeping Dogs on PC with the HD texture pack installed, and I think that AC3 can compete with that, even on the console version.

LoyalACFan
08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
at first I wasn't sure ,,, I thought the graphics looked Kick *** but not next -gen ,,,But the freedom edition Unboxing trailer gave me some hope
here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8b7nfCecaU) at 0:46 ,, the graphics looked very next-gen for me (I like the soundtrack also)
but after seeing the naval warfare trailer all my doubts disappeared,,, the graphics looked really good ,,, it looked next-gen ,,and did you notice that Connor's hair moves in this trailer?and it even moves pretty smooth
Wow, that does look pretty sweet. I'm kind of tempted to get the Mayan Ruins mission now, lol.

BBALive
08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
linear-sandbox gameplay.

That's an oxymoron.

Although I do agree about it looking 'next-gen'. For a console game anyway.

Assassin_M
08-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok official statement time..

The trailer is not of the final version - the game is still a 'work in progress' so any graphical errors are most likely due to being early code..

/thread

pacmanate
08-14-2012, 07:11 PM

That looked really sweet!

FirestarLuva
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
So I hear people sayin' the graphics don't look like next-gen...

http://i48.tinypic.com/20rwryw.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2a5dks5.jpg

Your welcome.
Youtube doesn't do the game justice.

ProletariatPleb
08-15-2012, 01:03 PM

http://i48.tinypic.com/20rwryw.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2a5dks5.jpg

Your welcome.
Bullshot and bullshot, you're welcome.

AC3 is neither next-gen, nor does it look next-gen.

ChaosxNetwork
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Heck no.
The consoles are dead, the Ps3 can hold a bit higher thanks to its blue ray but not by much.
People see Crysis 3 (CryEngine 3), Watch Dogs and other games running on maxed out PC's and assume they will get close to that.

Yes from a distance a cliff face will look amazing but as you get closer it will decrease by far.

Assassin's Creed 3 looks amazing but far, far from what "Next Gen" (Current PC hardware) can accomplish.

TheHumanTowel
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Your welcome.
Here are screenshots Ubi released for ACR
http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2011/10/11/assassins-creed-revelations-20111010054108715-3539555.jpghttp://assets1.ignimgs.com/2011/10/11/assassins-creed-revelations-20111010054112874-3539559.jpg

Not exactly like the finished product are they? You can't trust Ubi screenshots. Those don't look next gen anyway.

ProletariatPleb
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Here are screenshots Ubi released for ACR
http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2011/10/11/assassins-creed-revelations-20111010054108715-3539555.jpghttp://assets1.ignimgs.com/2011/10/11/assassins-creed-revelations-20111010054112874-3539559.jpg

Not exactly like the finished product are they? You can't trust Ubi screenshots. Those don't look next gen anyway.
Yes, like I said, bullshots again. Look, someone did their research.

Heck no.
The consoles are dead, the Ps3 can hold a bit higher thanks to its blue ray but not by much.
People see Crysis 3 (CryEngine 3), Watch Dogs and other games running on maxed out PC's and assume they will get close to that.

Yes from a distance a cliff face will look amazing but as you get closer it will decrease by far.

Assassin's Creed 3 looks amazing but far, far from what "Next Gen" (Current PC hardware) can accomplish.
Another one who understands, hello my friend :D

Slayer_WTF
08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Guys, those are Bullshot. But then what's the problem? The graphics are fantastic. Nothing atomic, but still great for what it has to manage. The next gen will be quite different.

ACfan443
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Ubisoft invited a guy called Alex Rubens to come and play the naval warfare demo (a few days ago I think) and this is what he had to say:

"It isn’t often that you find something in games so outstandingly beautiful that you can’t do anything but stare and soak it all in. That’s exactly what happened as soon as I took the wheel of a ship in Assassin’s Creed 3. I couldn’t help it; as I took cannon fire from nearby enemy ships, I watched the waves and how the ship reacted to them. It’s truly remarkable. It was hard to believe that it was running on anything current-gen, let alone just a PlayStation 3."

Sounds promising!

ACfan443
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Ubisoft invited a guy called Alex Rubens to come and play the naval warfare demo (a few days ago I think) and this is what he had to say:

"It isn’t often that you find something in games so outstandingly beautiful that you can’t do anything but stare and soak it all in. That’s exactly what happened as soon as I took the wheel of a ship in Assassin’s Creed 3. I couldn’t help it; as I took cannon fire from nearby enemy ships, I watched the waves and how the ship reacted to them. It’s truly remarkable. It was hard to believe that it was running on anything current-gen, let alone just a PlayStation 3."

Sounds promising!

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't really trust bull-shots regarding the final game..

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 04:54 PM
The problem is that next gen console stuff is created from current gen pc stuff. A current high end pc will not be far off from what a next gen console will be like. By the time the next gen consoles are released, the pc will have surpassed them already. It's akin, although not the same, when they designed the space shuttle and it was out of date when it first launched.

The real test of next gen stuff will be how devs treat the hardware and develop it. Plenty of devs still can't use current hardware to its potential. Unless you have the devs creating properly, next gen won't be worth anything more than what you see now on pc. AnvilNext could be a an engine that makes the transition to new hardware much easier and make better stuff possible more quickly.

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
The problem is that next gen console stuff is created from current gen pc stuff. A current high end pc will not be far off from what a next gen console will be like. By the time the next gen consoles are released, the pc will have surpassed them already. It's akin, although not the same, when they designed the space shuttle and it was out of date when it first launched.

The real test of next gen stuff will be how devs treat the hardware and develop it. Plenty of devs still can't use current hardware to its potential. Unless you have the devs creating properly, next gen won't be worth anything more than what you see now on pc. AnvilNext could be a an engine that makes the transition to new hardware much easier and make better stuff possible more quickly.

PC will always be better quality than consoles... fact. Not trying to start a stupid fanboy war or anything, but PCs will always have greater potential than any game console on the market. Because PCs can constantly evolve, whereas consoles can basically only be updated once every 5-10 years. It's not worth comparing PC and console gaming experiences, because the gap between the two can never be bridged. At the end of the day, people buy gaming PCs for superior quality. People buy consoles to save money, have more gaming variety, and to be more convenient.

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
PC will always be better quality than consoles... fact. Not trying to start a stupid fanboy war or anything, but PCs will always have greater potential than any game console on the market. Because PCs can constantly evolve, whereas consoles can basically only be updated once every 5-10 years. It's not worth comparing PC and console gaming experiences, because the gap between the two can never be bridged. At the end of the day, people buy gaming PCs for superior quality. People buy consoles to save money, have more gaming variety, and to be more convenient.

Totally agree. Like you said, consoles have a life cycle whereas PCs owners can evolve at will. Cycles create limitations. I think that alot of people are misguided about the jump we will from current gen consoles to next gen consoles. Its not going to be like from the PS2 to PS3.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Totally agree. Like you said, consoles have a life cycle whereas PCs owners can evolve at will. Cycles create limitations. I think that alot of people are misguided about the jump we will from current gen consoles to next gen consoles. Its not going to be like from the PS2 to PS3.
Are you 2 PC gamers ?

LoyalACFan
08-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Are you 2 PC gamers ?

Not usually, but I have done some PC gaming, yes.

ProletariatPleb
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Are you 2 PC gamers ?
Doesn't matter, it's true.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Doesn't matter, it's true.
I rest my case..

Nothing to do here..

SixKeys
08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I rest my case..

Nothing to do here..

I notice you conveniently dismissed the answer of one of the two people you originally asked the question in favor of someone who wasn't even part of the discussion. How can you rest your case when your suspicions weren't even confirmed? One of the guys was not primarily a PC gamer and he still feels the statement regarding consoles is true.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I notice you conveniently dismissed the answer of one of the two people you originally asked the question in favor of someone who wasn't even part of the discussion. How can you rest your case when your suspicions weren't even confirmed? One of the guys was not primarily a PC gamer and he still feels the statement regarding consoles is true.
I rest my case whenever I want..
It doesnt necessarily mean I'm right

SixKeys
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
"I rest my case" means "see? I was right".

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
"I rest my case" means "see? I was right".
Alright, then... how about ??

"I`ll just shut up now" ?

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Are you 2 PC gamers ?

I play on both, albeit I am no professed hardcore gamer on either of the platforms. However, I keep up enough to know what's going on. You play on different platforms for different reasons. Consoles have their place: mass market easy production, no tech skills needed to make sure it works. PC: performance required games and mods. We are basically playing a 7 or eight year old PC when we are on a console - possibly more. You can play a PC that has current tech in it.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I play on both, albeit I am no professed hardcore gamer on either of the platforms. However, I keep up enough to know what's going on. You play on different platforms for different reasons. Consoles have their place: mass market easy production, no tech skills needed to make sure it works. PC: performance required games and mods. We are basically playing a 7 or eight year old PC when we are on a console - possibly more. You can play a PC that has current tech in it.
Like I said, I`ll just Shut up so that no one has this sudden urge to protect the Innocent and uphold justice against my evil, Antagonistic acts..

SteelCity999
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Like I said, I`ll just Shut up so that no one has this sudden urge to protect the Innocent and uphold justice against my evil, Antagonistic acts..

Sorry you feel that way. I was just answering your question.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry you feel that way. I was just answering your question.
Its not you...
And thanks for answering my question:D

giantantik89
09-01-2012, 06:20 AM
my opinion is this, Graphics, game play, story, will!! be better than any other AC game. Making a game any less, game play, story GRAPHICS!! wise than the last, will be like bringing out a 2013 model sport car, with squire wheels!.. I'm not going to doubt ubi!. If they say " graphics will look next gen on current gen consoles", i'm going to take there word for it!. Either way i (we) don't know **** haha awwww:(.. AC3 is going to be farrkin insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

GeneralTrumbo
09-01-2012, 09:59 AM
my opinion is this, Graphics, game play, story, will!! be better than any other AC game. Making a game any less, game play, story GRAPHICS!! wise than the last, will be like bringing out a 2013 model sport car, with squire wheels!.. I'm not going to doubt ubi!. If they say " graphics will look next gen on current gen consoles", i'm going to take there word for it!. Either way i (we) don't know **** haha awwww:(.. AC3 is going to be farrkin insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
Why do you seem to ONLY care about graphics? There are way more things to be excited about for in this game than graphics.

DarkSolitude-X
09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Sounds promising!

Invited... sounds like he was paid to speak a scripted statement. I won't deny the game looks very good, but I have seen a few games that look as good as ac3.

Case in point the water in AC3 looks good

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120813213459/assassinscreed/images/thumb/8/8d/AC3_SeaBombs.png/800px-AC3_SeaBombs.png

The water in Uncharted

http://www.crossplatformgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/uncharted_3_cruise_ship.jpg

I see current gen graphics. I know the game is going to be great, but I think the graphics are alittle hyped.

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Invited... sounds like he was paid to speak a scripted statement. I won't deny the game looks very good, but I have seen a few games that look as good as ac3.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120813213459/assassinscreed/images/thumb/8/8d/AC3_SeaBombs.png/800px-AC3_SeaBombs.png

The water in Uncharted

http://www.crossplatformgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/uncharted_3_cruise_ship.jpg

I see current gen graphics. I know the game is going to be great, but I think the graphics are alittle hyped.
You`re comparing an Open-world game with one that isn't..

How about No ?

ProletariatPleb
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM

The water in Uncharted

Right you are, graphics look average.

Slayer_WTF
09-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Assassin's Creed is an open world, with hundreds of things to manage.

Uncharted is a corridor to go ahead and shoot the enemies.

Need I say more?

Locopells
09-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Is the one of Uncharted a screenshot? Only it looks more like the polished pictures they produce for magazines, I've seen ones of AC3 that look like that.

Also, as other people have said, you can't really judge the whole game on one split-second shot in a trailer. I'm gonna wait until I've seen the actual game before comparing/analysing in detail.

dewgel
09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
As Assassin_M mentioned... comparing graphics from a massively open world game and a game like Uncharted is silly.

And as people have stated, "AnvilNext" doesn't mean next-gen graphics. It's referring to next-gen AI and such, and much bigger worlds.

And as I've also said myself, seen the game in person.. the graphics DO look good, just not next-gen. They definitely look like the boundaries of what this generation of consoles can handle on such a huge scale.

ProletariatPleb
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
As Assassin_M mentioned... comparing graphics from a massively open world game and a game like Uncharted is silly.

And as people have stated, "AnvilNext" doesn't mean next-gen graphics. It's referring to next-gen AI and such, and much bigger worlds.

And as I've also said myself, seen the game in person.. the graphics DO look good, just not next-gen. They definitely look like the boundaries of what this generation of consoles can handle on such a huge scale.
^This.

I'm not saying ACIII will look bad, AC has always looked decent. I'm gonna play ACIII on DX11 and HD textures and tessellation and supposedly a new feature called 'approximation of subsurface scattering'. Look at that list, what do I have to complain about?
All I'm saying is, the pre-alpha pics look bad and if anything ACIII on the consoles will be Revelations tier graphics if not better, not "next-gen".

NewBlade200
09-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Just about every game developer says their game is ''The next gen of console graphics''. I'm not dissing AC3, but nobody knows what the next console graphics will look like. We haven't even seen anything from the next console games. It can look as you like (and it does look nice) but the fact is that what may be pushing he limits of this gen wont be as good as when the next gen pushes it's own limits

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 11:27 PM
but nobody knows what the next console graphics will look like.
*Applause*

People seem to think that NextGen=Real life

ACfan443
09-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Well, if I remember correctly, there was that unreal engine 4 demo which kinda showcased what next gen could look like, and that was beyond what any current gen console can handle.

roostersrule2
09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
ACR's water actually looks better then both and had good effects like water would run off the walls and drops would fall from the roof. However AC3's will probably look better finished tough.

Assassin_M
09-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Well, if I remember correctly, there was that unreal engine 4 dem which kinda showcased what next gen could look like, and that was beyond what any current gen console can handle.
and How do you even know that next-gen can handle that ? xD

Do you know the Hardware ? Im assuming no ?

NewBlade200
09-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Everyone looks at the next gen and says "How can we be liek that?" :rolleyes: There would be better games if we decided we wanted to make the most of what we already have

shobhit7777777
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
This is next gen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKrkf7BEb-4&feature=g-all-u

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:00 AM
This is next gen:

No its not..

Its current gen..

shobhit7777777
09-02-2012, 12:03 AM
No its not..

Its current gen..

Clairvoyant fellow

The engine...thats meant for next gen consoles...its been nerfed for current gen. The video is indicative of what we can expect.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Clairvoyant fellow

The engine...thats meant for next gen consoles...its been nerfed for current gen. The video is indicative of what we can expect.
The Anvil Next can also be used in Next-Gen..

So no, what you present is not relevant, because we still do not know what Next-gen is capable of...

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 12:07 AM
This is next gen and I'm sorry but I couldn't find anything bigger. Just Google W***e of the Orient.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXlwM4g4BOEep8P_ISuH_OUH_AAGRlP UcvXvVvMZTfimMNYv7lhg

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
This is next gen:

It's on the PC...

No its not..

Its current gen..
No it's not, it's on the PC, PC has no gen.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
It's on the PC...

No it's not, it's on the PC, PC has no gen.
And 360..

So shut the hell up

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 12:17 AM
And 360..

So shut the hell up
No *******, the video is PC render. The gameplay.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:21 AM
No *******, the video is PC render. The gameplay.

Kojima reiterates that Ground Zeroes is a current-gen game, though Fox Engine is scalable for next-gen as well Joystick..
YOU DOPE !!

Despite the footage shown running on a PC, Kojima has confirmed that the footage shown today would be comparable to what will be seen from the PS3 and Xbox 360 version of the title. No release date has been mentioned. Examiner..

ACfan443
09-02-2012, 12:25 AM
and How do you even know that next-gen can handle that ? xD

Do you know the Hardware ? Im assuming no ?

Do you know what? You need to change the way you talk to people. I was simply making an assumption. The way you said "I'm assuming no?" makes you come across arrogant, conceited and condescending, and I don't appreciated it. Sure I'm no tech expert, I'm just an average gamer, so I obviously don't know everything like you, but you don't have to treat me like a dumb *** for it.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Joystick..
YOU DOPE !!

Examiner..
Never said it's not possible, read what I said before jumping, I said the video, the footage is PC and so it can't be tagged to a "gen".

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Do you know what? You need to change the way you talk to people. I was simply making an assumption. The way you said "I'm assuming no?" makes you come across arrogant, conceited and condescending, and I don't appreciated it. Sure I'm no tech expert, I'm just an average gamer, so I obviously don't know everything like you, but you don't have to treat me like a ******* for it.
Wow xD

You got offended by that post ? hey, mate you need to chill out on the sensitivity...because was in no way, Condescending, Conceited, arrogant or meant to treat you like a.... whatever you called it.

Hell, I don't know anything about next-Gen either..

Never said it's not possible, read what I said before jumping, I said the video, the footage is PC and so it can't be tagged to a "gen". Well, your post wasn't helping..

I thought you were talking in general:p

De Filosoof
09-02-2012, 12:36 AM
This is next gen:

That looks sick !!

ACfan443
Wow xD

You got offended by that post ? hey, mate you need to chill out on the sensitivity...because was in no way, Condescending, Conceited, arrogant or meant to treat you like a.... whatever you called it.

Hell, I don't know anything about next-Gen either..

Well, your post wasn't helping..

I thought you were talking in general:p

Oh it was, and you know it. I've seen some of the ways you speak to people, and it is not nice. Also, adding an 'xD' here and there won't make light of an offensive remark(generally speaking). And if you don't know about next gen then don't act like you're some expert in that subject. We're here just to make assumptions, and if you disagree with some of them, then reply with respect.

shobhit7777777
The Anvil Next can also be used in Next-Gen..

So no, what you present is not relevant, because we still do not know what Next-gen is capable of...

You're assuming I'm challenging Anvil next as a next gen capable engine..which is not the case (don't know how you got there). Neither is my post irrelevant. If you can grasp what FOX, Anvil and Real Virtual are capable of right now with current gen hardware..you have a good idea of what to expect in "next-gen".

Comprehend, sir.

BTW Sydspiker is correct. "Gen" is applicable to consoles...not PCs given their rapid evolution rate. Again, Comprehend...at least try...

@Sydspiker

I believe the correct term for this gentleman is 'Chutiya'

MT4K
09-02-2012, 12:40 AM
And 360..

So shut the hell up

Joystick..
YOU DOPE !!

Examiner..

Please be respectable to other members....

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:41 AM
You're assuming I'm challenging Anvil next as a next gen capable engine..which is not the case (don't know how you got there). Neither is my post irrelevant. If you can grasp what FOX, Anvil and Real Virtual are capable of right now with current gen hardware..you have a good idea of what to expect in "next-gen".

Comprehend, sir.

BTW Sydspiker is correct. "Gen" is applicable to consoles...not PCs given their rapid evolution rate. Again, Comprehend...at least try...

@Sydspiker

I believe the correct term for this gentleman is 'Chutiya'

So this man here just called me an Idiot in Hindi... and then why did you refer to the PC as next gen when you agree with Sid ?

Oh it was, and you know it. I've seen some of the ways you speak to people, and it is not nice. Also adding an 'xD' here and there won't make light of an offensive remark(generally speaking). And if you don't about next gen then don't act like you're some expert in that subject. We're here just to make assumptions, and if you disagree with some of them, then reply with respect.
Alright hold a grudge against me, report me, or just :p

Hate this ? "xD" here you goooo xD XD XD xD xD xD xD

And sorry, Sid... I apologize for the Misunderstanding..

Shohbit, however; you are condescending and very rude... at least insult me with something I understand..Low, man

and before anyone wears the Batman of justice suit (other than the mods)
Sid is my friend.. and he knows its all fun.. ok ?

Locopells
09-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Guys - cool it! Do you want MT4K to lock the thread?

shobhit7777777
09-02-2012, 12:48 AM
So this man here just called me an Idiot in Hindi... and then why did you refer to the PC as next gen when you agree with Sid ?

Alright hold a grudge against me, report me, or just :p

Hate this ? "xD" here you goooo xD XD XD xD xD xD xD

And sorry, Sid... I apologize for the Misunderstanding..

Shohbit, however; you are condescending and very rude... at least insult me with something I understand..

:)

Doesn't feel good does it...your medicine?

Calm down, Assassin....you're a good forum member, contributes a lot and all that...so no need to be hostile right? I assure you that a gentler, more patient attitude towards people would go a long way...I will never insult you (in any of the three languages I know *Toot*) and will treat you with respect. It's just that I (and the rest) also deserve a little dont you think?
I apologise for being rude in getting my point across....I just hope you refrain from being so brash with the others..makes for a better forum.

I referred to it as next gen because that IS next gen...upgrade it 10% and you'll have that quality as a standard in the industry.

BTW you're welcome...now you know a Hindi word :)

*VANISHES*

reddragonhrcro
09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Calm it up ppl,he is right this is next-gen material, this new engine is quite a blast indeed.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:55 AM
:)

Doesn't feel good does it...your medicine?

Calm down, Assassin....you're a good forum member, contributes a lot and all that...so no need to be hostile right? I assure you that a gentler, more patient attitude towards people would go a long way...I will never insult you (in any of the three languages I know *Toot*) and will treat you with respect. It's just that I (and the rest) also deserve a little dont you think?
I apologise for being rude in getting my point across....I just hope you refrain from being so brash with the others..makes for a better forum.

I referred to it as next gen because that IS next gen...upgrade it 10% and you'll have that quality as a standard in the industry.

BTW you're welcome...now you know a Hindi word :)

*VANISHES*
I assure you... I do not insult others in Languages they do not understand... I actually never insult anyone (Besides Sid:p)
and no, that "Medicine" is not mine.. No, I do not tell people to "Comprehend" or make them feel like idiots, I`m just an antagonistic, cartoonish, Sarcastic twit..Some like me and some don't... sometimes just for the good of it.

People who always talk about my attitude are either guys who do not know who I am, or are just liking the bandwagon so much. Stop judging people and stick to yourselves OK ? You dont like me ? report me.. Im up for the Mods to handle, but DO NOT act like you`re Gods in this place...There is other crap going on and you just like to lecture me... NO... dont like me ? report me.. PERIOD !!

I apologize for this, but only the Mods have the right to do what they see right with me..Not any of you..
I will not derail this any further... Im done..

MT4K
09-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Also just for the record. Insulting other members is probably best avoided. Regardless of what language it is in.

Now back to the main topic.

tarrero
09-02-2012, 01:50 AM
AC is one of my top series, but in terms of "next gen" well......See for yourselves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8

PD I understand the implications of AC being a sandbox/open world and MGs not....

prince162010
09-02-2012, 03:16 AM
yes i agree for sure why not? and till now everything in this game is more than amazing

Lord-Crowmarsh
09-02-2012, 03:16 AM
For me the current AC offering has killed the series. It is the story, to me it is a blatant marketing strategy. I was assured some time ago that the character will be fighting on both sides, if that is the case why does the cover only feature a yankie flag?

Apart from that I think the story is getting too modern, they had loads of era's in the medieval age to choose from so why the jump to the 18th century? It has got to be to appease the yankie markets and for that I will give this a wide berth.

To answer a couple of questions though, How can a game claim to be 'next Gen' when we do not know what 'next Gen' is yet. Also if you think about it if the game is truly going to be next Gen then what will be the point of buying a ps4? From the pics ETC I have seen it looks like it was done on a high end PC dumbed down for the consoles.

Also that person who said the PC will always be superior graphics wise to the consoles is not neccessarily true. When consoles are first released, xbox or ps3, they are easily on par if not better but as consoles have a higher shelf life than PC's the PC tends to overtake untill a new console is released.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 03:19 AM
For me the current AC offering has killed the series. It is the story, to me it is a blatant marketing strategy. I was assured some time ago that the character will be fighting on both sides, if that is the case why does the cover only feature a yankie flag?

Apart from that I think the story is getting too modern, they had loads of era's in the medieval age to choose from so why the jump to the 18th century? It has got to be to appease the yankie markets and for that I will give this a wide berth.

To answer a couple of questions though, How can a game claim to be 'next Gen' when we do not know what 'next Gen' is yet. Also if you think about it if the game is truly going to be next Gen then what will be the point of buying a ps4? From the pics ETC I have seen it looks like it was done on a high end PC dumbed down for the consoles.

Also that person who said the PC will always be superior graphics wise to the consoles is not neccessarily true. When consoles are first released, xbox or ps3, they are easily on par if not better but as consoles have a higher shelf life than PC's the PC tends to overtake untill a new console is released.
So you`re not gonna buy it ?

deskp
09-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Nothing will look next gen on current gen ahrdware. its just not possible (Unless you count last gen-looking next gen games)
If ac3 will look great will depend on the draw distance in my opinion. The up close stuff has looked good so far. People try and go back to AC2 the draw distance is baaad/short

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-02-2012, 04:56 AM
I don't know about this but everytime I play AC2-ARC I notice that the graphics in the modern day part looked very good ! I mean when I first finished ACR when Desmond woke up I was like wha-?
Why does the graphics look so much better here? maybe it's just my eyes ...

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't know about this but everytime I play AC2-ARC I notice that the graphics in the modern day part looked very good ! I mean when I first finished ACR when Desmond woke up I was like wha-?
Why does the graphics look so much better here? maybe it's just my eyes ...It's because the end of ACR was all CGI and in AC2 the lighting in the modern segments looked terrible.

Layytez
09-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Next gen in what aspect ?

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 08:32 AM
AC is one of my top series, but in terms of "next gen" well......See for yourselves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8

PD I understand the implications of AC being a sandbox/open world and MGs not....
-_- This MGS IS Open-world in-case you didn't know. Hurrr there goes the "AC is open-world so graphics can't be good" argument blown to ****.

It's because the end of ACR was all CGI and in AC2 the lighting in the modern segments looked terrible.
CGI? 0_o WHAT

LoyalACFan
09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
CGI? 0_o WHAT

You remember on PS2, how the graphics in most games looked way better in cutscenes than gameplay? Like Star Wars: Bounty Hunter? That's basically what they did with the intro and outro of Revelations. They weren't rendered in the game's engine.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 09:53 AM
You remember on PS2, how the graphics in most games looked way better in cutscenes than gameplay? Like Star Wars: Bounty Hunter? That's basically what they did with the intro and outro of Revelations. They weren't rendered in the game's engine.
The ending? it was a normal cutscene. That intro can never be in-engine, that was CGI, but the ending? No sir.

(I know what CGI is incase you thought I didn't, lol)

Ayush_S92
09-02-2012, 10:59 AM
The end of the world cut scene was CGI.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
The end of the world cut scene was CGI.
That wasn't a cutscene....

Yes that was a CGI but we're talking about "ending" ending was Desmond waking up and talking, then a glimpse at the Grand Temple entrance, that was a normal cutscene not CGI.

LightRey
09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
That wasn't a cutscene....

Yes that was a CGI but we're talking about "ending" ending was Desmond waking up and talking, then a glimpse at the Grand Temple entrance, that was a normal cutscene not CGI.
It was both a cut scene and cgi -__-
Please get your terms right people. CGI just means the images were generated by a computer, which in the case of AC goes for EVERYTHING. A cut scene applies to any scene that interrupts gameplay. This obviously includes the ending of ACR, both what Jupiter showed and the stuff before and after.

It's both a cutscene and CGI.

Seriously, get your terminology right, people.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 12:27 PM
It was both a cut scene and cgi -__-
Please get your terms right people. CGI just means the images were generated by a computer, which in the case of AC goes for EVERYTHING. A cut scene applies to any scene that interrupts gameplay. This obviously includes the ending of ACR, both what Jupiter showed and the stuff before and after.

It's both a cutscene and CGI.

Seriously, get your terminology right, people.
You're going into literal meanings, CGI here is being used as pre-rendered stuff. Cutscene uses in-game assets, CGI doesn't have to.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:47 PM
The LAST ACR cutscene was a Pre-rendered, In-engine scene. like every other In-game cutscene..

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
The point was that it was different not how it was made.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 12:54 PM
The point was that it was different not how it was made.
Different how ?

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Different how ?It was pre-rendered that's why it didn't matter what sword or the colour of dye in your clothes you had they were all the same.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
It was pre-rendered that's why it didn't matter what sword or the colour of dye in your clothes you had they were all the same.
Im talking about Desmond -__-

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Im talking about Desmond -__-I know but it's the same cutscene.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I know but it's the same cutscene.
That can be debatable.. seeing as there is a long CGI cinematic between them..

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 01:12 PM
The LAST ACR cutscene was a Pre-rendered, In-engine scene. like every other In-game cutscene..
Cutscenes are not pre-rendered...they are real-time.

For example:
The initial video of the game "My name is Desmond Miles" is pre-rendered.
While Ezio kicking the statue in AC:R is a cutscene.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Cutscenes are not pre-rendered...they are real-time.

For example:
The initial video of the game "My name is Desmond Miles" is pre-rendered.
While Ezio kicking the statue in AC:R is a cutscene.
Sorry for that Mishap there, all knowing one..

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Sorry for that Mishap there, all knowing one..
It is alright my child. After all, you're only...M.

LightRey
09-02-2012, 01:16 PM
You're going into literal meanings, CGI here is being used as pre-rendered stuff. Cutscene uses in-game assets, CGI doesn't have to.
There is no alternative to literal meanings. Just because people like to abuse the terms doesn't mean they are suddenly "correct", not until it is actually absorbed by the language, which it isn't, by far. Furthermore, you can't start correcting people on the correct usage of incorrect usage of terms.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
There is no alternative to literal meanings. Just because people like to abuse the terms doesn't mean they are suddenly "correct", not until it is actually absorbed by the language, which it isn't, by far. Furthermore, you can't start correcting people on the correct usage of incorrect usage of terms.
Yes well based on that EVERYTHING we see is CGI, now that doesn't help the discussion, does it?

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 01:21 PM
That can be debatable.. seeing as there is a long CGI cinematic between them..But they still did the same thing for both scenes.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:22 PM
There is a great deal of difference between CGI and Actual Gameplay footage..No one can argue that, right ?

But they still did the same thing for both scenes.
And that would be ?

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-02-2012, 01:22 PM
It's because the end of ACR was all CGI and in AC2 the lighting in the modern segments looked terrible.

wut? dude it's A cutscene.. and like other members said it's in-engine scene.

LightRey
09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes well based on that EVERYTHING we see is CGI, now that doesn't help the discussion, does it?
Exactly, that's why you shouldn't call it CGI. It's like trying to distinguish scenes in a film by calling some of them them "acted out". Parts of a game can't be considered CGI as opposed to other parts of it, because it's all CGI.

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 01:26 PM
There is a great deal of difference between CGI and Actual Gameplay footage..No one can argue that, right ?

And that would be ?Make it look better then every other cutscene in the game.

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Exactly, that's why you shouldn't call it CGI. It's like trying to distinguish scenes in a film by calling some of them them "acted out". Parts of a game can't be considered CGI as opposed to other parts of it, because it's all CGI.
Well I've been using "pre-rendered" keyword with it afterwards so it should be fairly understandable. Unless your highness has more objections.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Make it look better then every other cutscene in the game.
I dont know what you were watching, but... I didnt see anything "Better" than anything during ANY cutscene..
They were all the same, the lighting may have been different, but its the same, man..

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I dont know what you were watching, but... I didnt see anything "Better" than anything during ANY cutscene..
They were all the same, the lighting may have been different, but its the same, man..You can tell by Desmond's face, in the gameplay parts and other cutscenes he looks like Niko and in the end cutscene he looks like Desmond.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:34 PM
You can tell by Desmond's face, in the gameplay parts and other cutscenes he looks like Niko and in the end cutscene he looks like Desmond.
Its the lighting..
I didn't see any change in the number of Polygons, frame-rates, animations, shaders... it was all the same.

That is what I would call better, but none of those happened, so..

TheHumanTowel
09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I think everybody knows what people mean when they say CGI scene. Those PS2 type pre-rendered cutscenes that take place out of engine and look different than the game in-engine. There's no need to squabble over the technicalities of the term.

LightRey
09-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Well I've been using "pre-rendered" keyword with it afterwards so it should be fairly understandable. Unless your highness has more objections.
That would be the correct term to use, yes.

I think everybody knows what people mean when they say CGI scene. Those PS2 type pre-rendered cutscenes that take place out of engine and look different than the game in-engine. There's no need to squabble over the technicalities of the term.
Well you're wrong, that's why they were arguing to begin with after all. They weren't clear on what the terms "CGI" and "cut scene" were referring to.

roostersrule2
09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Its the lighting..
I didn't see any change in the number of Polygons, frame-rates, animations, shaders... it was all the same.Probably was just the lighting but it made a noticeable difference.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Probably was just the lighting but it made a notable difference.
Believe me, Lighting can make a HUGE deal of difference..

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
That would be the correct term to use, yes.

Well you're wrong, that's why they were arguing to begin with after all. They weren't clear on what the terms "CGI" and "cut scene" were referring to.
We weren't arguing the meaning of these terms, I believe everyone here knew what CGI means..

We were arguing whether or not that final cutscene was CGI, which it is not..

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
We weren't arguing the meaning of these terms, I believe everyone here knew what CGI means..

How dare you go against Lord Rey, he will smite you.

Anyway, he's right >_> we aren't here to argue over "hurr this term's literal meaning is this so you will not use it as something else".
Onwards, AC:R ending is a cutscene followed by a CGI render and then again a cutscene.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
How dare you go against Lord Rey, he will smite you.

Anyway, he's right >_> we aren't here to argue over "hurr this term's literal meaning is this so you will not use it as something else".
Onwards, AC:R ending is a cutscene followed by a CGI render and then again a cutscene.
Also, Video games use real-time computer graphics which is quite different from Computer generated Imagery, Yes, sometimes both can be referred as each other, but it is widely agreed in the industry that both are very different terms..

ACfan443
09-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I think most people are aware that the final cutscene is rendered in game, but what LightRey is trying to say is CGI is something computer generated, and in video games, like he said, is everything. But for the everyday gamer, that could be confusing.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I think most people are aware that the final cutscene is rendered in game, but what he's trying to say is CGI is something computer generated, and in video games, like he said, is everything. But for the everyday gamer, that could be confusing.
No, there is a difference between the Literal meaning of Computer-generated imagery and the industry meaning of "CGI" also computer generated imagery..

Literally, everything is Computer generated imagery using real-time computer graphics, BUT the term "CGI" refers to Pre-rendered effects, graphics, animations... etc

They are both different things..

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
No, there is a difference between the Literal meaning of Computer-generated imagery and the industry meaning of "CGI" also computer generated imagery..

Literally, everything is Computer generated imagery using real-time computer graphics, BUT the term "CGI" refers to Pre-rendered effects, graphics, animations... etc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

ACfan443
09-02-2012, 02:04 PM

I'm aware of that, like the E3 trailer is 'industry term CGI', but literally, is just as much CGI as are cutscenes. Like I said though, people can get confused with the different terms.

LightRey
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM

First of all, I wasn't talking about you, second, it was mostly the term "cut scene" about which there was confusion (generated by Sid due to his incorrect usage of the term, claiming the end of the world cut scene wasn't a cut scene, "but" CGI, as if the two were mutually exclusive).

ACfan443
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Okay let's go back to talking about AC3 looking next-gen(or not) and comparing it (what we've seen so far) with other games :)

ProletariatPleb
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
First of all, I wasn't talking about you, second, it was mostly the term "cut scene" about which there was confusion (generated by Sid due to his incorrect usage of the term, claiming the end of the world cut scene wasn't a cut scene, "but" CGI, as if the two were mutually exclusive).
http://i.imgur.com/20zQ9.gif
Deal with it

There was no incorrect usage, you are the only one hounding about it. I clearly have started what I mean by CGI - pre rendered videos and cutscenes - realtime. If you're still not comprehending, that's your problem not mine.

Now can we please get back on topic?

pacmanate
09-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I honestly don't think we can answer the question until we have seen it in real life.

Locopells
09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Like the man said...

LightRey
09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I honestly don't think we can answer the question until we have seen it in real life.
Exactly. Kinda sums up the pointlessness of the thread really. It's speculation that will never go anywhere.

Assassin_M
09-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Exactly. Kinda sums up the pointlessness of the thread really. It's speculation that will never go anywhere.
This is exactly what I was saying a few pages ago until a few "Complications" put that at a sudden halt..

tarrero
09-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Okay let's go back to talking about AC3 looking next-gen(or not) and comparing it (what we've seen so far) with other games :)

To be honest, at least from what we have seen so far, It may look better than previous AC, but pales in comparison to the likes of Watchdogs and the new metal gear......

Timeaus
09-03-2012, 12:46 AM
The new metal gear solid ground zeroes looks absolutely amazing, I'm a huge MGS fan and can't wait for this one to come out. But anyways back on topic, I don't think that the devs was aiming for the next-gen looks with AC3 but they were aiming for next-gen gameplay experience (with all the mechanics and game-play features that they've added) . Plus we don't really know we until we actually play it. Personally I don't really care that much for graphics as long as the gameplay and story are solid.

Calvarok
09-03-2012, 02:02 AM
It's not literally next-gen, peeps. It just means that they're squeezing almost every last bit of capability out of the consoles of this generation. And it's more about the engine's capabilities than the graphics quality. The actual graphics look really really good, though. On par with some of the best looking games of this time, which is impressive for a sandbox game.

giantantik89
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
ah what?. did i read the thread wrong, or did you?. sorry, if i sound like i come across as if i only care about graphics on a game, BUT ah maybe that's because ITS the topic of discussion on this thread!.
And i did also mention game play, storyline. I'm not doubting you one bit man, this game excites me to moist. but i will also point out graphics would be considered ( i think) the most important part of gaming, Its what stands out most between old, current and would be future consoles and pc. if that wasn't the case id be kicking back unleashing a bit of pack man, not thinking twice about how next gen will look.

LightRey
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
ah what?. did i read the thread wrong, or did you?. sorry, if i sound like i come across as if i only care about graphics on a game, BUT ah maybe that's because ITS the topic of discussion on this thread!.
And i did also mention game play, storyline. I'm not doubting you one bit man, this game excites me to moist. but i will also point out graphics would be considered ( i think) the most important part of gaming, Its what stands out most between old, current and would be future consoles and pc. if that wasn't the case id be kicking back unleashing a bit of pack man, not thinking twice about how next gen will look.
He's actually arguing the point that the statement that was released was not (entirely) about the graphics. Ergo, he's criticizing the claims made in the OP.

WingedSnowHunt
09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Looks next gen?
HAHAHAHAH
Wait, is he serious?
No it is not next gen. They just love hyping the game.
I am hyped for the game, but the graphics have not really improved much past Revelations. Maybe animations, but it's the stuff beside the graphics.

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Looks next gen?
the graphics have not really improved much past Revelations.

So cute...

WingedSnowHunt
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
There is obviously refinement/improvement, but I dont feel they changed too much. The game looks good, just not as good as he claims.

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
There is obviously refinement/improvement, but I dont feel they changed too much
Arguable..

The game looks good, just not as good as he claims.
Plausible..

LightRey
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Looks next gen?
HAHAHAHAH
Wait, is he serious?
No it is not next gen. They just love hyping the game.
I am hyped for the game, but the graphics have not really improved much past Revelations. Maybe animations, but it's the stuff beside the graphics.
He never said it "is" next-gen, he said it "looks" next-gen. There's a difference and as Calvarok pointed out, it's about more than just graphics, even with "looking".

WingedSnowHunt
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Yes, the engines amazingness lies in the stuff besides graphics, that I agree with.
Graphic wise? sorry Ubi.

Assassin_M
09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, the engines amazingness lies in the stuff besides graphics, that I agree with.
Graphic wise? sorry Ubi.
You`re beginning to be cute againnnnnnn

LightRey
09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Graphic wise? sorry Ubi.
So far I've been very much impressed by the graphics. To call them next-gen would probably be an exaggeration, but since they do not seem to base their next-gen claim purely on the basis of graphics and they are still quite impressive, I see no reason to disagree with them (provided one doesn't get too excited, it is marketing after all).

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 01:23 PM
i don't get it, how can it look next gen if we don't know what next gen looks like yet?

LightRey
09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
i don't get it, how can it look next gen if we don't know what next gen looks like yet?
They probably do.

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
They probably do.
i highly doubt that

DoNNiEDaRkO50
09-04-2012, 01:27 PM

This is next gen !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv4Boq4HLKU

WingedSnowHunt
09-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Or Unreal Engine 4.

ACfan443
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
i highly doubt that

Yeah you never know, they're probably secretly developing the "next-gen" AC right now. Side note: Alex said in an interview "with Assassin's Creed 3, we're putting a nail in the coffin of current gen systems" so kind of suggesting that the next AC will be on a "next-gen" system

WingedSnowHunt
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah you never know, they're probably secretly developing the "next-gen" AC right now. Side note: Alex said in an interview "with Assassin's Creed 3, we're putting a nail in the coffin of current gen systems" so kind of suggesting that the next AC will be on a "next-gen" system
You dont say? I thought they would develop for the PS1!

ACfan443
09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
You dont say? I thought they would develop for the PS1!

Keep your sarcasm to yourself. Just because he said that doesn't mean they won't release another AC in 2013 on current gen. A kind of side game like ACB and ACR.

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Keep your sarcasm to yourself. Just because he said that doesn't mean they won't release another AC in 2013 on current gen. A kind of side game like ACB and ACR.
leave him be, he's new, he needs time to settle in

ACfan443
09-04-2012, 01:53 PM
leave him be, he's new, he needs time to settle in

I don't recall new uses talking like that, they're usually like that after they've settled in.

Anyway, I'll be polite. hi there new member :)

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't recall new uses talking like that, they're usually like that after they've settled in.

Anyway, I'll be polite. hi there new member :)
forget what is said, he aint new, he's hasoon in another user

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Well then... Hi Hasoon xD

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Well then... Hi Hasoon xD
he's been banned

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I know, I'm beings sarcastic as you said it was Hasoon as another user.

freddie_1897
09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I know, I'm beings sarcastic as you said it was Hasoon as another user.
and the other user has been banned

Kit572
09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh.

Sushiglutton
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Next gen is just a lame marketing term, that basically all AAA games claim toward the end of a console generation. Doesn't mean a thing (Funny some Sony guy claimed the Last of Us would feature "Next gen acting" whatever that means :D!). However I'm very pleased with the graphics and especially the animations that just rocks imo. Connor is one of the best characters I have ever seen. Also the ship battles look terrific.

pacmanate
09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Until I see it for my own eyes we will never know, however from the alpha stuff we have seen it looks really good, even though youtube compresses like poo

dewgel
09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
It really does look good, I can't stress it enough, but I don't think it looks Next-Gen GRAPHICALLY.

HOWEVER..I think the reference to next-gen is that the engine is capable of handling the amount of quantity being thrown at it, still at such a high quality. Amongst other things.

Mr_Shade
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
It really does look good, I can't stress it enough, but I don't think it looks Next-Gen GRAPHICALLY.

HOWEVER..I think the reference to next-gen is that the engine is capable of handling the amount of quantity being thrown at it, still at such a high quality. Amongst other things.
indeed ;)

RatonhnhakeFan
09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
It may look next-gen... on high-end PCs IF Ubisoft implements HQ textures in PC version. Otherwise hahahaha no.

pacmanate
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I hope AC3 gets some DX11 support, if it doesn't that would BEYOND suck.

DarkSolitude-X
09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
You`re comparing an Open-world game with one that isn't..

How about No ?

My whole point was how the water in ACIII is current gen. Nevermind the open-world/closed corridor bulls**t, look at the rendering of the water.

ProletariatPleb
09-06-2012, 10:19 AM
It may look next-gen... on high-end PCs IF Ubisoft implements HQ textures in PC version. Otherwise hahahaha no.
Which they are doing. Since PC has no "gen" you can't really say it will look "next-gen", what I can tell you is that the next-gen still won't be like the PC. No, I am not bashing any console.

I hope AC3 gets some DX11 support, if it doesn't that would BEYOND suck.
Which it is.

Assassin_M
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
My whole point was how the water in ACIII is current gen. Nevermind the open-world/closed corridor bulls**t, look at the rendering of the water.You want to ignore the open/closed concept ?

You just lost the argument... more

DarkSolitude-X
09-07-2012, 01:10 AM
You want to ignore the open/closed concept ?

You just lost the argument... more

Ok I shall appease you...

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide/Skyrim-WaterReflectHeight-1024-SliderComparison.png

Still current generation. I'm not saying the graphics in AC3 is bad, on the contrary they are good. But they are not next gen.

Locopells
09-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Try comparing an actual screenshot from AC3 after it comes out, rather then the worst looking shot you can find from a trailer, with all that entails...

Assassin_M
09-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Try comparing an actual screenshot from AC3 after it comes out, rather then the worst looking shot you can find from a trailer, with all that entails...
THIS, Yes thank you...

You got a crappy shot and besides the water in AC should not be compared in static view, because obviously the change is not in how it looks, but how it moves and that is its so natural and random as it changes..

LightRey
09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Of course it's current-gen. It's by definition current-gen as the game runs on current-gen consoles. That's not the point. Saying it's "current-gen" means it's at the peek of what this generation can produce, looking like what a "regular" next-gen game would look like.

Either way, in the end, none of us knows what next-gen will look like anyways, because we're not there yet.

pacmanate
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Of course it's current-gen. It's by definition current-gen as the game runs on current-gen consoles. That's not the point. Saying it's "current-gen" means it's at the peek of what this generation can produce, looking like what a "regular" next-gen game would look like.

Either way, in the end, none of us knows what next-gen will look like anyways, because we're not there yet.

Yes, or you could get a PC and upgrade it all the time and be ALWAYSGEN. Anyway, that looked like a PC screenshot of Skyrim vs AC3 pre alpha water on PS3?

Locopells
09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
PC rules! Except when it doesn't...

playassassins1
09-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes, or you could get a PC and upgrade it all the time and be ALWAYSGEN. Anyway, that looked like a PC screenshot of Skyrim vs AC3 pre alpha water on PS3?

I think the water in skyrim looks fairly the same in the xbox and PC version. PS3 not, because betheseda basically ****ed over the PS3 version..

ACfan443
09-07-2012, 05:45 PM
That was a terrible screenshot, didn't do the water justice, just have a look at the beginning of the naval gameplay trailer where the camera pans to a close up of the water, it looks great!

pacmanate
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
PC rules! Except when it doesn't...

Which is most of the time for AAA games. I don't even have a PC but games are made on PC which makes me wonder why PC games come out later. Either Devs aren't bothered or aren't bothered OR they just can't be bothered, one of the three.

I think the water in skyrim looks fairly the same in the xbox and PC version. PS3 not, because betheseda basically ****ed over the PS3 version..

Ha, the PS3 version.... Before I bought Skyrim I looked at the Lens of Truth comaparison for the versions and was suprised at how ****ed the PS3 version was, so I went with 360 :)

playassassins1
09-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Ha, the PS3 version.... Before I bought Skyrim I looked at the Lens of Truth comaparison for the versions and was suprised at how ****ed the PS3 version was, so I went with 360 :)

Lol, yeah. Thats mostly what Bethesda does with the PS3, they make it the ****iest version... Only game that was good on the PS3 from bethesda would be, Oblivion.. that's it...