PDA

View Full Version : The HUD layout in AC3 - Will you use it?

pacmanate
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I know a lot of fans like to keep the HUD on, mainly because it looks nice, displays information etc. However recently I have turned to having the HUD off. My only problem with this though is me replaying AC2. I keep the mini-map on and I also want the notoriety meter, for obvious reasons. AC2 doesn't allow you too though! If you want the Notoriety meter on then you have to have the health bar on too, which just makes it look cluttered (personally).

What are your views on HUD's in AC games or games in general. Will you keep the HUD on it AC3? Or would you want more precise options to turn certain things on and off (like the health bar and notoriety in AC2 which was bundled in one).

http://www.gamershell.com/static/streaming/45488/45488_medium.jpg

Also can you guys help me on something. That bar on the left on the HUD, what is it? Is it a health bar? Because I don't think in the demo's I have ever seen it lower or raise. Also the red Assassin's logo on the right, is that just simply stating that you are being attacked like in previous AC games? The arrow on the map is also pointing downwards, away from the object. Could this possibly mean that the arrow points north or something?

Assassin_M
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I know a lot of fans like to keep the HUD on, mainly because it looks nice, displays information etc. However recently I have turned to having the HUD off. My only problem with this though is me replaying AC2. I keep the mini-map on and I also want the notoriety meter, for obvious reasons. AC2 doesn't allow you too though! If you want the Notoriety meter on then you have to have the health bar on too, which just makes it look cluttered (personally).

What are your views on HUD's in AC games or games in general. Will you keep the HUD on it AC3? Or would you want more precise options to turn certain things on and off (like the health bar and notoriety in AC2 which was bundled in one).

http://www.gamershell.com/static/streaming/45488/45488_medium.jpg

Also can you guys help me on something. That bar on the left on the HUD, what is it? Is it a health bar? Because I don't think in the demo's I have ever seen it lower or raise. Also the red Assassin's logo on the right, is that just simply stating that you are being attacked like in previous AC games? The arrow on the map is also pointing downwards, away from the object. Could this possibly mean that the arrow points north or something?
I`ll keep it and yes that is the health Bar and it hasn't raised or decreased because he`s never been hit..

and that Assassin Logo is the new notoriety Meter..

playassassins1
08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
If you watch the Boston demo, you can see the health bar go down. And personally, I like this HUD better. Previous AC's displayed waaaay too much Info on screen. In this one, they've dumbed it down a bit, which is good. And it doesn't take up that much space on the screen.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Never really had a problem with the HUD personally, except for the pointless face button prompts in the top right, which are gone now. I'll probably just leave it on. And yes, that arrow you're talking about just signifies north.

Slayer_WTF
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
The bar to the left of the map represents health.

The arrow represents the North.

The symbol of the Assassins is a state of alert.

notafanboy
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
i always turn the HUD off on my second playthrough. i think it is good that they moved everything to the bottom of the screen, looks less cluttered.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
08-12-2012, 04:02 PM
I'll be keeping it, in AC3 it looks clean and only takes up a small portion of your screen down bottom.

BBALive
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll keep it on.

The bar on the far left is the health bar, and Connor has taken damage during many of the demos.

The red Assassin logo is both the notoriety meter and your current state of alert.

The arrow probably points north.

tarrero
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes! During missions!
No! During freaaroam once I had memorize the map, I have to admit it looks better than ever though.

SixKeys
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I know a lot of fans like to keep the HUD on, mainly because it looks nice, displays information etc. However recently I have turned to having the HUD off. My only problem with this though is me replaying AC2. I keep the mini-map on and I also want the notoriety meter, for obvious reasons.

What is the "obvious reason" for having the notoriety meter on? If you become fully notorious, the music in the game will noticeably change to an ominous tone and guards will start getting suspicious as soon as they see you. Even if you're not fully notorious yet, you can tell whether you're incognito or not by the number of wanted posters and heralds in the area.

AC1 plays great without any HUD elements on. The other games need at least the mini-map. I tend to turn off weapons icon, money and sometimes health and SSI (guards' detection meters) for added difficulty.

I'm fine with the new AC3 interface except for the mini-map being on the left. It's been on the right ever since the first game, I just don't get why they decided to switch sides. It's going to take some getting used to looking to my left instead of right after 4 games.
As I understand it, the new notoriety meter has three little stars at the bottom of the assassin symbol. As each one fills up, the more notorious you are and more and harder enemies will appear.

pacmanate
09-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Now that we know about the SSI, on or off :P