PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on the horses in the world of Assassin's Creed

pacmanate
08-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Does anyone else share my opinion that the horses in AC games are terrible?

1. They don't run properly.
2. They can't jump over obstacles whilst maintaining momentum. They stop, jump, stop then run.

Another thing I was angry at was that they changed Gallop for Stand?! WHY. Does anyone else wish that gallop would return? I know it's not, but still, we can dream.

Nader-Abudiix
08-11-2012, 02:53 PM
i think they should shrink the sizes of horses xD after playing RDR AC's horses look giant compared to RDR lool

Slayer_WTF
08-11-2012, 02:59 PM
AC1: the horses are OK.
AC2: the horses are OK, but less than AC1.
ACB: the horses are horrendous. Equine seem overweight.
ACR: ?
AC3: seem to have improved more realistic animations.

The best are those of RDR, however.

Legendz54
08-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Galloping in AC1 was awesome and realistic. if you could gallop fast on horses while chasing deer, that would've been awesome.

AnthonyA85
08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
They took the gallop mechanic out of Brotherhood (really wish they hadn't, could have really used that at times), because the streets were so narrow, and filled with cannon fodder, and there were so many tight turns, it would have been difficult to navigate (though it wasn't perfect at times)

And yes, while trotting and cantering, the horses do stop briefly when jumping over fences and hedges, in all the games, but in AC1 and AC2, when at full gallop, they don't slow down at all.

I'm hoping they bring back the gallop mechanic for AC3, i think they will, considering he size of the frontier, though weather we'll be able to take horses into boston and ny remains to be seen, i hope we can..

Serrachio
08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Gallop was removed from ACB on console versions because the game couldn't render scenery as fast as the horse was traveling. They re-introduced it later on in the PC version.

I have to say though that the horses in that game weren't all that great, and I always felt that they were clunky and unresponsive to tight turns. Besides, the only real use that standing on a horse provided was to jump one bridge to get to a chest in Rome, and to grab a Borgia flag in a Lair of Romulus. The only other time to use it was for the Thief Guild challenges, and that was just a side thing.

I would rather shoot a bow from the back of the horse if galloping wasn't an option, considering how awkward getting in position to jump would be, along with trying to control the horse.

DarthEzio55
08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Are you guys kidding? Brotherhood had the best horses :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDHd38PguHM

Slayer_WTF
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
LoL

AnthonyA85
08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Gallop was removed from ACB on console versions because the game couldn't render scenery as fast as the horse was traveling. They re-introduced it later on in the PC version..

Not outside of the Leonardo Machine Gun mission it wasn't, that was the ONLY time we could Gallop in ACB, regardless of the platform version. Galloping was not available during free-roam in Rome, on any platform.

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I love it how everyone says in some games "better animation"..

Guys, the Animations of the Horses have been Unchanged since the first Assassins Creed

Slayer_WTF
08-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Guys, the Animations of the Horses have been Unchanged since the first Assassins Creed

I played AC1 and Brotherhood, and I can assure you that some things are different. For example, they move more .. fat ***.

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I played AC1 and Brotherhood, and I can assure you that some things are different. For example, they move more .. fat ***.
Its not "different" its just that they added more Animations..
but the ones returning were the same, and guess what ?? I played All Assassins Creeds xD

Slayer_WTF
08-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I remember that the animation of the gallop in AC1 was much slower and longer, while AC3 seems normal.

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I remember that the animation of the gallop in AC1 was much slower and longer, while AC3 seems normal.
In AC III it looks like Brotherhood`s in some horses, while AC I had the old gallop for all Horses. same with AC II.

SixKeys
08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Not outside of the Leonardo Machine Gun mission it wasn't, that was the ONLY time we could Gallop in ACB, regardless of the platform version. Galloping was not available during free-roam in Rome, on any platform.

There was one other mission where you could gallop, the Romulus lair where you have to chase down the corrupt leader in some freakish "Eyes Wide Shut" underground party.

The horses looked slightly thinner in AC1 compared to AC2 and ACB, but the visual look never bothered me at all. I do think there was one thing that made the horses better in AC1 and that was the fact that the camera didn't automatically align itself to the side when you started galloping. The player should be allowed to decide for themselves where to place the camera while riding the horse.

SaintPerkele
08-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Galloping was not available during free-roam in Rome, on any platform.
Not true. If your PC's graphic card was good enough, you were indeed able to gallop whenever you wanted to.

The only thing that really bothered me in ACB compared to the previous games were the horses' tails and manes. They looked so much better in AC1 and 2, no idea what they did to them.

SixKeys
08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Not true. If your PC's graphic card was good enough, you were indeed able to gallop whenever you wanted to.

That is simply not true. A game mechanic has nothing to do with your graphics card. The gallop was replaced with the "stand" and pole flip maneuver except in a couple of specific, linear missions.

SaintPerkele
08-11-2012, 07:30 PM
That is simply not true. A game mechanic has nothing to do with your graphics card. The gallop was replaced with the "stand" and pole flip maneuver except in a couple of specific, linear missions.
Sorry, typo, I meant SSD not graphics card.
And it WAS possible, believe me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcIEkrsRks

Locopells
08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Also that very last mission when getting from the battlefield to the castle where CB was.

MetalCreed
08-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I really love horses, but when I played RDR in 2010, my whole view of horses changed. I wanted horses that moved like they did in Red Dead Redemption.

Also the horses are too huge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord_horse) and the mechanics suck. Also needs more variety in appearance, and maybe also need a stamina bar.

Also why don't we get to ever free roam with wagons?

LoyalACFan
08-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I really love horses, but when I played RDR in 2010, my whole view of horses changed. I wanted horses that moved like they did in Red Dead Redemption.

Also the horses are too huge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjord_horse) and the mechanics suck. Also needs more variety in appearance, and maybe also need a stamina bar.

Also why don't we get to ever free roam with wagons?

Well, there are wagons in the Frontier, so maybe we can use one. Not sure why you'd want to, but whatever :p

Anyway, the horses of AC suck, and always have. Especially the ridiculous galloping animation. It was so bad, I was glad they removed it in Brotherhood. It looked like a freakin cartoon. If you've spent as much time around horses as I have, you'd know that's not a natural-looking stride. Horses don't run like that. And it was the same in AC1 and AC2, not sure why people are saying otherwise.

De Filosoof
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Did anybody notice that in every version of the Frontier gameplay footage the tail of the horse always clips through it's body the moment Connor dismounts the horse?

rileypoole1234
08-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I liked the horses the most in AC1. It was weird that you couldn't gallop in ACB with them in Rome. To me, they were unneeded after AC2. I certainly don't think they suck though as mentioned above.

pacmanate
08-11-2012, 11:42 PM

I was going to say the same, Alex even said that the horses in AC3 will be the same just with increased AI.

Did anybody notice that in every version of the Frontier gameplay footage the tail of the horse always clips through it's body the moment Connor dismounts the horse?

I have not...

playassassins1
08-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Horses in AC III look the same yeah. But I won't be using them a lot.... Since I'll be using trees only :P. Let's see if it actually works out.

MetalCreed
08-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I think I might just use a canoe and explore around the wilderness. I can't wait to do that. I still wish Ubisoft allows free roaming with naval vessels though, but I think I remember reading that they will be limited to a few missions.

De Filosoof
08-12-2012, 01:28 AM
I have not...

Well, take a look :). It wasn't in previous AC games right?

doogsy91
08-12-2012, 02:11 AM
The horse in Red Dead is vastly superior to AC's. I thought ACIII was supposed to have no carried over animations?? I've seen plenty in the two gameplay demos, the most disappointing being the horse from Brotherhood. It still has that ugly slow-mo looking canter. I at least hope they've fixed the standing. It was annoying how as soon as you stood up, directional control became super sensitive and a tap on the stick would turn you at least 45 degrees.

I reckon the reason there were no horses in revelations was because how poorly Brotherhood handled the way it worked with the crowds in the city. Most streets were too narrow and the NPCs reactions were very unrefined.

SixKeys
08-12-2012, 02:18 AM
The horse in Red Dead is vastly superior to AC's. I thought ACIII was supposed to have no carried over animations??

I think they meant for Connor. I'm sure horses and NPCs still have some recycled animations.

playassassins1
08-12-2012, 02:26 AM
The horse in Red Dead is vastly superior to AC's. I thought ACIII was supposed to have no carried over animations?? I've seen plenty in the two gameplay demos, the most disappointing being the horse from Brotherhood. It still has that ugly slow-mo looking canter. I at least hope they've fixed the standing. It was annoying how as soon as you stood up, directional control became super sensitive and a tap on the stick would turn you at least 45 degrees.

I reckon the reason there were no horses in revelations was because how poorly Brotherhood handled the way it worked with the crowds in the city. Most streets were too narrow and the NPCs reactions were very unrefined.

Well, they didn't use horses in ACR because it wasn't necessary. You already had the zip-lines. and, the city wasn't really meant for horses to be in it.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I think I might just use a canoe and explore around the wilderness. I can't wait to do that. I still wish Ubisoft allows free roaming with naval vessels though, but I think I remember reading that they will be limited to a few missions.

They said there will only be a few naval missions in the story, not that the whole naval aspect will be limited to those missions. They said there is side content for it, and they also said you can hop in the boat at any time and go wherever you want. Not sure if that means it's actual free-roam, or if it's just a sneaky way of saying it's the new fast travel option, like the caravans and tunnels were previously.

projectpat06
08-12-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm ok with the horses as they are. Sure it would be nice to have more realistic and fluent animations like the horses from Red Dead, but I would think that mean starting from scratch. I would rather them focus on improving other elements and introduce new things like the naval sections rather than improve the horses a ton. If the horses were as an important element as in Red Dead and used as much then I would be a little worried, but they're not. I'll be in the trees anyways

InfamousQ1987
08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
As far as AC goes I'd say AC1 has the best horse riding. I liked AC Brotherhood, only because I can bring tte horse throughout the city, and stand up (my son likes that). I hope AC3 does a good job on the horses.

Locopells
08-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I never had a problem with the horses. Generally, I'm looking where I'm going, not staring at the arse of the horse, which is all I can normally see when going forwards, anyway.

pacmanate
08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Well, take a look :). It wasn't in previous AC games right?

Holy hell you are right! Hahaha it looks like the horse actually POOPS it's own tail!!! 3:37 Guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

I have never been a fan of the horses, although I know some people don't like RDR's horses...

DoNNiEDaRkO50
08-12-2012, 02:09 PM

yup,, noticed that ,,there is a lot of clipping which is annoying ,,Really

projectpat06
08-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Connor's bow also disappears in the two short cut scenes

Calvarok
08-13-2012, 01:16 AM
1. gallop was taken out because the engine could not load the environment fast enough in a huge city like rome. Dunno if anvilnext will allow it to stay in.
2. horses will jump over and go around obstacles automatically in AC3.

Also, unrelated, but though Red Dead's horses looked nice, I would trade them in an instant for AC horses, simply because AC's controls, crappy as they are, are still better than red dead's. I love Red Dead though.

AnthonyA85
08-13-2012, 03:50 AM
They said there will only be a few naval missions in the story, not that the whole naval aspect will be limited to those missions. They said there is side content for it, and they also said you can hop in the boat at any time and go wherever you want. Not sure if that means it's actual free-roam, or if it's just a sneaky way of saying it's the new fast travel option, like the caravans and tunnels were previously.

Alex Hutchinson DEFINITELY said the Navel portion of the game is open to FREE-ROAM, just like Capadocia in ACR and the alpine mountains/kingdom in AC2 and 1 respectively. I think it was in the Q&A he did, or it was mentioned in the commentated navel demo

ACfan443
08-13-2012, 04:42 AM
I loved the horses in AC1 because they were fast, same with AC2, but in ACB they were pathetically slow, watching the AC3 frontier demo, it's obvious that they're the same speed as the ones in brotherhood, which is worrying because of how 'vast' the frontier is supposed to be. And they can't use the excuse that they 'didn't bring back galloping in AC3 to allow for better streaming', since they've showcased the AnvilNext engine to be so powerful. I want fast horses in AC3. If red dead is capable then so should AC3.

pacmanate
08-13-2012, 01:23 PM
I loved the horses in AC1 because they were fast, same with AC2, but in ACB they were pathetically slow, watching the AC3 frontier demo, it's obvious that they're the same speed as the ones in brotherhood, which is worrying because of how 'vast' the frontier is supposed to be. And they can't use the excuse that they 'didn't bring back galloping in AC3 to allow for better streaming', since they've showcased the AnvilNext engine to be so powerful. I want fast horses in AC3. If red dead is capable then so should AC3.

Yeah as I said, stand is still in. But maybe it makes sense this time round. I mean, most of the time we are hopefully surrounded by trees to free run on. In the Frontier demo we see the horse slowing in the snow so perhaps we will use horses less than ever in this AC game.

projectpat06
09-26-2012, 06:01 AM
With all the previews and conventions where people got to try out the game, is the any word on how the horses will operate this time around? Since the controls for connor got changed to where you only have to press R1 to sprint and free run, did this happen with the horses as well? I would really like them to be able to haul tail unlike in AC: Brotherhood where they took their merry little time.

imonthenet
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
It's kind of annoying that galloping cannot be in the game, but I accept it's because my console of choice is outdated.

I think the 'stand and jump off the horse' manoeuvre will make more sense in the Frontier because of treerunning. I imagine it coming in handy to jump from the horse to a low branch then the move was in Brotherhood. I mean imagine chasing something through the Frontier when you hit a deep patch of snow so you jump off your horse and into the trees to continue the hunt from there, now moving faster then your prey stuck in the snow below until you catch up and air assassinate it with your tomahawk. Man I cannot wait for this game!

lothario-da-be
09-26-2012, 01:57 PM
It's kind of annoying that galloping cannot be in the game, but I accept it's because my console of choice is outdated.

I think the 'stand and jump off the horse' manoeuvre will make more sense in the Frontier because of treerunning. I imagine it coming in handy to jump from the horse to a low branch then the move was in Brotherhood. I mean imagine chasing something through the Frontier when you hit a deep patch of snow so you jump off your horse and into the trees to continue the hunt from there, now moving faster then your prey stuck in the snow below until you catch up and air assassinate it with your tomahawk. Man I cannot wait for this game!
Can't wait too, but i think it also is like that because they want you to use the trees as fastest way and not the ground.

Locopells
09-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Do we know for def, that there is no gallop?

Actually, thinking about it, it would make sense - they only had it in ACB for PC with SS drives, and the frontier is supposed to be 1.5 X the size of Rome, so...

Unless AnvilNext can handle it on ordinary hard drives.

Soulid_Snake
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Does anyone else share my opinion that the horses in AC games are terrible?

1. They don't run properly.
2. They can't jump over obstacles whilst maintaining momentum. They stop, jump, stop then run.

Another thing I was angry at was that they changed Gallop for Stand?! WHY. Does anyone else wish that gallop would return? I know it's not, but still, we can dream.

Well they certainly ain't as annoying as the horses in Red Dead! Having said that, I prefer a dedicated, "Jump" button!

LoyalACFan
09-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Well they certainly ain't as annoying as the horses in Red Dead!

I... cannot disagree more. The horse AI in RDR was a little wonky when you whistled for them (i.e. sometimes they would run past you or not get close enough to mount) but once you actually get on it, it looks and controls 10000x better than horses in AC.

LoyalACFan
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
With all the previews and conventions where people got to try out the game, is the any word on how the horses will operate this time around? Since the controls for connor got changed to where you only have to press R1 to sprint and free run, did this happen with the horses as well? I would really like them to be able to haul tail unlike in AC: Brotherhood where they took their merry little time.

They were so slow in Brotherhood because the engine couldn't generate the landscape fast enough to allow it. Pretty lame, yes, but with the Frontier being even bigger than Rome with WAY more scenery to generate, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume there's not a gallop feature. And honestly, I don't think there will be enough open space to warrant using horses that much anyway. The areas we've seen look pretty densely forested.

FrankieSatt
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I never used horses, except for in AC1 and in AC2. I used the horses less in ACII than in AC1. Brotherhood and Revelations didn't need horses and I never used them. I think the horses in Brotherhood will be useful because the world seems more open than in the previous AC games.

ACfan443
09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
They were so slow in Brotherhood because the engine couldn't generate the landscape fast enough to allow it. Pretty lame, yes, but with the Frontier being even bigger than Rome with WAY more scenery to generate, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume there's not a gallop feature. And honestly, I don't think there will be enough open space to warrant using horses that much anyway. The areas we've seen look pretty densely forested.

If the AnvilNext engine is so amazing and powerful as they make it out to be, then why can't it handle something so meagre as horse galloping?

LoyalACFan
09-26-2012, 09:32 PM
If the AnvilNext engine is so amazing and powerful they make it out to be, then why can't it handle something so meagre as horse galloping?

It's not the horse galloping in and of itself, it's about how fast the scenery can be generated. The fact that we're getting such a large, heavily forested area is already asking a lot, and to be able to generate that fast enough to keep up with a horse running at breakneck speed is asking a bit much. We can see a horse galloping in that little 50-second "Seasons" gameplay montage from E3, but only in the city. I imagine it will only be available in certain areas or scripted events, much like ACB.

ACfan443
09-26-2012, 09:41 PM
It's not the horse galloping in and of itself, it's about how fast the scenery can be generated. The fact that we're getting such a large, heavily forested area is already asking a lot, and to be able to generate that fast enough to keep up with a horse running at breakneck speed is asking a bit much. We can see a horse galloping in that little 50-second "Seasons" gameplay montage from E3, but only in the city. I imagine it will only be available in certain areas or scripted events, much like ACB.

2500 NPCs on screen at once is asking a lot, but that seems fine. However, I do agree with the last bit, I remember someone asking ubigabe a question about horse speed on twitter, and he said speed varies from city to city, but I still don't think it'll be a full gallop.

Free_Hidings
09-27-2012, 01:50 AM
I honestly don't think the RDR horses are that great. I'll admit the variation in speed and the animations are superior, but the controls are weird, and the horse seems to move unnaturally at times. Like if you get on, it shoots like 5m forwards, it looks weird. The AC horses aren't perfect, but for a "non horse fan" like myself (IE I don't intreact with them in real life etc) The horses seem fine. When I first encountered them I thought they were amazing. Lack of gallop is sad but the animations seem fine as far as I am concerned, and the controls are good.

HorTyS
09-27-2012, 02:20 AM
I honestly don't think the RDR horses are that great. I'll admit the variation in speed and the animations are superior, but the controls are weird, and the horse seems to move unnaturally at times. Like if you get on, it shoots like 5m forwards, it looks weird. The AC horses aren't perfect, but for a "non horse fan" like myself (IE I don't intreact with them in real life etc) The horses seem fine. When I first encountered them I thought they were amazing. Lack of gallop is sad but the animations seem fine as far as I am concerned, and the controls are good.

RDR set the bar for horses so high it was impossible for AC to catch up. The controls for them in RDR were fine, nothing weird about them at all IMO, they just weren't the same as AC because they're 2 different games. Horses in AC a way more unnatural than RDR if you ask me, the horse moving when you get on wasn't something that happened everytime or anything, or even very often, it was a little glitch thing that happened when you getting on caused some collision clipping or something. RDR horses >>> AC horses... I probably won't use horses much in AC3 tbh...

Belliotti
09-27-2012, 03:11 AM
I liked the horses better in AC I & II than Brotherhood because you were able to gallop, and don't even ask me why they took horses out of Revelations.

LoyalACFan
09-27-2012, 03:40 AM
I liked the horses better in AC I & II than Brotherhood because you were able to gallop, and don't even ask me why they took horses out of Revelations.

Well... there was really no place to use horses in Constantinople... The streets were so narrow and curvy, riding a horse would have been highly impractical.

Belliotti
10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Good point. There wasn't really enough fields or space to ride them in.

connor_bg
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I hate horses. I dont want horses in this game, in brotherhood they are the most annoying thing in the universe for me. I hate them in combat since ubi didn't optimized the enemies attacks versus ezio without horse. When you are chaining kills you can't dodge those, that's no problem, but why when the horseman charges against ezio the game doesn't fix the focus to the charging horse, using step is not 100% useful, because if you recently counter attacked an enemy on the ground, horseman charges against you and you can't even do strafe or cut the horse's legs just because the kill animation is going on and you take health for that ********. I really hated that.

dewgel
10-03-2012, 02:16 PM
The horses in Brotherhood just annoyed me in the towns. Too many people freely roaming around and getting mauled to the ground.