PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III : Connor Did What Now??! (EscoBlades Video)

Locopells
08-10-2012, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM8D86mQ2AI&feature=plcp

Thought this deserves its own thread. Never seen so many reasonably coherent comments on YouTube...

And yes, we're happy now!

GLHS
08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
This is a fault on the marketing team and nothing more. People just wanted something to complain about. The Anvil Next trailer shows him killing bluecoats, as seen, but that's the only one and was just recently released. Since all the other ones didn't, I'm sure the rest (however many more there are) will have at least some bluecoats as well. People who complain about this, be it Americans, Britains, or anybody else just had to make a big thing about it. It had nothing to do with Americans. I guarantee the devs have equal neutrality within the game. This was only a marketing ploy by the marketing team to get American's attention since it does take place in America. But, at the time, it wasn't America yet, so either way, that's not a stab against the British. Or it shouldn't be, anyway. The marketing team definitely could've handled the content differently.

Slayer_WTF
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
When AC was set in Italy and saw massacre Italian Ezio nobody complained.

Good times.

freddie_1897
08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
When AC was set in Italy and saw massacre Italian Ezio nobody complained.

Good times.
look mate, i do not agree with anything that these guys are complaining about. but I'm getting sick of people saying that. the circumstances are different. if the game was in britain no one would complain about killing brits because there is no one else to kill. in italy no one complained about killing italians because there was (apart from a few french) no one else to kill. in AC3 you either kill 'americans' or brits. and people are complaining because brits are being killed more than the 'americans'. if the game was set in france and was fought between the spanish and the english and more spanish people were being killed people would complain. but in italy you were playing as an italian assassin, who associated himself with being italian, fighting for the italian people, against the italian army. with no else liable to kill. its not really surprising that people weren't getting angry.

and don't say that people weren't arguing when ACR showed ottomans as the good guys. because they were, a lot

RatonhnhakeFan
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Frankly, I'm glad people complained. The marketing team was asking for it when they decided to make AC3 look like "Patriot: The Game" in previous trailers. Should be a good lesson for future

De Filosoof
08-10-2012, 02:34 PM
and don't say that people weren't arguing when ACR showed ottomans as the good guys. because they were, a lot

Yeah, i remember that :).
People shouldn't be so ****ing nationalistic. Perhaps AC3 will open their blinded eyes, at least i hope so.

The British empire did horrible things, the American colonists did horrible things. Deal with it.

BATISTABUS
08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Didn't hear many complaints about Arabs killing Europeans for AC1...and by the end of the game you ended up killing more Arabs. Just sayin'.

Eskaminzim
08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't think people realise that the 'Americans' in those videos ARE BRITISH. So he is still JUST killing Brits, LOL! I don't think that the same developers who said FDR conspired with Stalin and Hitler to start WWII in their lore is "Pro- American" but whatever. And I didn't hear Americans complaining when you play as two British SAS killing a bunch of corrupt American soldiers and a US General who started WWIII in CoD MW2.

Assassin_M
08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
"I'm British and I never noticed, all I saw was an Assassin killing templars."

Nothing but respect for this comment..

SaintPerkele
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Didn't hear many complaints about Arabs killing Europeans for AC1...and by the end of the game you ended up killing more Arabs. Just sayin'.
AC1 was not about "Arabs against Europeans", it was about the Christian Crusaders invading a Muslim country and the war that evolved from this - that's a difference. Noone complained, because you weren't an "Arab killing Europeans", you were someone who was on his own, someone who didn't support either of the forces, that's what made AC1 so appealing, at least to me.

Robert de Sable, Maria Thorpe (somehow), Garnier de Naplouse, William de Montferrat, Sibrand = 5 targets
Majd Addin, Jubair Al-Hakim, Abu'l Nuqoud, Tamir, Talal = 5 targets

The Templars were equal on both sides ;) And yes, you killed Al Mualim, but that's something entirely different.

Assassin_M
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
AC1 was not about "Arabs against Europeans", it was about the Christian Crusaders invading a Muslim country and the war that evolved from this - that's a difference. Noone complained, because you weren't an "Arab killing Europeans", you were someone who was on his own, someone who didn't support either of the forces, that's what made AC1 so appealing, at least to me.

Robert de Sable, Maria Thorpe (somehow), Garnier de Naplouse, William de Montferrat, Sibrand = 5 targets
Majd Addin, Jubair Al-Hakim, Abu'l Nuqoud, Tamir, Talal = 5 targets

The Templars were equal on both sides ;) And yes, you killed Al Mualim, but that's something entirely different.
ALL of this applies to AC III, but you choose to view it otherwise simply because its America..

ToniTorsi
08-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I never understood why British placed so much emphasis on who kills who. It's a video game made out of polygons and textures.

So nonsensical.

Locopells
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
ALL of this applies to AC III, but you choose to view it otherwise simply because its America..

No, we view it otherwise because the marketing got buggered this time around.

I never understood why British placed so much emphasis on who kills who. It's a video game made out of polygons and textures.

So nonsensical.

Agreed, but it wasn't just the British...

Assassin_M
08-10-2012, 07:59 PM
No, we view it otherwise because the marketing got buggered this time around.

No, and I wont start this again..

Just watch the earlier media for Assassins Creed I..

I will not reply to anything regarding this matter anymore..

projectpat06
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
As stated before, everyone was british except for the French and Native Americans who both opposed the british anyways for the most part because a little something called the French and Indian war which ends a year after where the game starts. We see connor mostly killing red coats in the trailers because I honestly think we will be mostly killing red coats. Sure, i we can kill whoever in free roam because that would just suck not be able to, but the british army and loyalist vastly outnumbered the continental army. Those looking to break away from England were few in numbers and not usually skilled militia men so it wouldn't make sense to kill a **** ton of "future americans" when their numbers were already dwindling. The fact of the matter, like every other AC game, those in power and in this case, England's King and officials were corrupt and any corrupt person in power has usually been a templar. We will be killing templars and their agents or puppets even if the puppets have no clue. Of course connor will have to kill so blue coats bc they are also puppets to corrupt brits breaking away from England. It's basically just a civil war fought over seas. I'm American and I love all my British brothers. Pretty sure every American does now, but I will have me some fun going Mel Gibson on some Red Coats. I just hope Lucius Malfoy is it so I can stab him with a bayonet. Cheers

Steww-
08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I'll tell you why I was disappointed - I felt the marketing was doing an injustice to what will be a great game.

Ubisoft always do a lot to embrace the grey area between good and bad, and they've stressed many times that this will be the case for AC3. Connor even says he isn't fighting for one side. Corey May said he wanted this game to return to the more complex motives that the Templars hold.

And then the marketing was heavily focused on Connor backing the Americans. The real game will deal with the issue so much better, I was sad that the advertising was handled as it was.

projectpat06
08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I mean, yeah, I understand completely where you're coming from, but it's hard to completely appeal to one side or the other without offending someone. From a marketing standpoint, they prob made their decision based on it being easily recognizable to the general public. The American Revolution strongly carries the theme of Patriotism, liberty, and democracy. Here in the states, many people would be confused if you had an american Revolution game trailer where you kill a bunch of Patriots. That prob wouldn't go over too well when it is one of the most important events of our country and we all grew up being taught that we revolted for the greater good and to rid ourselves from anarchy and oppression. I'm sure if they made a game about the civil war, the assassin will be shown killing a lot of my ancestors here in the south because history basically looks at the South as the bad guys of the time and the North as the good guys fighting against slavery among many other things. But that's history, we can't change it. It's the same reason why connor is decorated in Patriot colors instead of a red coat. For marketing reasons, people would be like why the heck is the main character a bad guy when it's about the "American Revolution". Plus, EVERYONE IS BRITISH AT DURING THIS TIME PERIOD.

But just curious, how is the American Revolution portrayed in schools overseas?

Assassin_M
08-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I mean, yeah, I understand completely where you're coming from, but it's hard to completely appeal to one side or the other without offending someone. From a marketing standpoint, they prob wanted made their decision based on it being easily recognizable to the general public.
I hate it when Someone says that the USA is the general Public, because they are TOTALLY not..

projectpat06
08-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I hate it when Someone says that the USA is the general Public, because they are TOTALLY not..

I meant that by the American general public meaning that there many if not most Americans who have a poor education and would only be able to associate with the war being against the red coats. When a game is mass marketed here based our country's defining war, they would be confused.

De Filosoof
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
"Attracting the sheeple", that's how i call it.

Assassin_M
08-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I meant that by the American general public meaning that there many if not most Americans who have a poor education and would only be able to associate with the war being against the red coats. When a game is mass marketed here based our country's defining war, they would be confused.
As was shown in the Anvil Next trailer, that is no the case. Connor`s enemies are Templars and not Redcoats, also not Blue coats for that matter..

Anyone who wants to play Assassins Creed should understand this, because if he/she doesn't, then we`re dealing with a case of Ignorance about a subject which is the main plot of Assassins Creed, which is the battle against Assassins and Templars. Not Red Coats against Blue Coats and vice versa..

Assassins and Templars and that's it..

projectpat06
08-11-2012, 12:01 AM
And you are completely right. My point was that from a marketing standpoint, the "american" general public (especially all those parents) who aren't familiar with the main plot with the templars would be confused. I'm not condoning the marketing teams decision in that it wasn't offensive or probably the best strategy. I was just trying to provide an understanding of their decisions to be all patriotic with the trailers and commercials. According to the past sales numbers, with the US accounting for about half of the revenue with AC 1 and 2 and their main desire to profit maximize, I can understand their marketing plan in a business sense while trying to put all bias to the side.

website I used for my thesis: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 12:06 AM
And you are completely right. My point was that from a marketing standpoint, the "american" general public (especially all those parents) who aren't familiar with the main plot with the templars would be confused. I'm not condoning the marketing teams decision in that it wasn't offensive or probably the best strategy. I was just trying to provide an understanding of their decisions to be all patriotic with the trailers and commercials. According to the past sales numbers, with the US accounting for about half of the revenue with AC 1 and 2 and their main desire to profit maximize, I can understand their marketing plan in a business sense while trying to put all bias to the side.

website I used for my thesis: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/
Thank you for providing that link and I understand where you`re coming from so You and I are in agreement..

projectpat06
08-11-2012, 12:17 AM
No problem bud. And just to be clear, I really hope Ubisoft amps up the conspiracy of corruption among the founding fathers aka templars. Makes for good plot twists to what many people consider to be the glorified good guys with the right ideas to be the exact opposite.

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 12:19 AM
No problem bud. And just to be clear, I really hope Ubisoft amps up the conspiracy of corruption among the founding fathers aka templars. Makes for good plot twists to what many people consider to be the glorified good guys with the right ideas to be the exact opposite.
Im sure they will..;)

DarkSolitude-X
08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I find it hard to believe that video game trailers can start a country vs. country argument. If you ask me, there is a underlining, deep resentment elsewhere that brought this to the light. People normally don't just hate each other, there is almost always a long standing action/effect that breeds this. So what is it? If people are told something so many times, they start to believe it. I know the media here is grossly biased and tries to stir things up. Could the same be said elsewhere?

Assassin_M
08-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I find it hard to believe that video game trailers can start a country vs. country argument. If you ask me, there is a underlining, deep resentment elsewhere that brought this to the light. People normally don't just hate each other, there is almost always a long standing action/effect that breeds this. So what is it? If people are told something so many times, they start to believe it. I know the media here is grossly biased and tries to stir things up. Could the same be said elsewhere?
EVERYWHERE..

There is Intolerance present in everyone, if people just sub-step all these thoughts that divide us such as Culture, ethnicity and Religion then people might learn to be tolerant towards one another..

This is for you, Defilosoof:p

Locopells
08-11-2012, 01:03 AM

As far as England's concerned (can't speak for the rest of the UK), it's not. We do Cavemen to Tudors and Stewarts (including the first two Civil Wars). 1950's American Civil Rights struggles, History of Medicine, Pre WWI Germany and that's about it for standard curriculum. Unless I've forgotten something. If King George III is mentioned at all, it's his later reign, when he got the disease that periodically send him bonkers. Strange, considering we nearly got invaded by the French, and actually ended up doing quite well out of the period, you'd have though they'd say something.

projectpat06
08-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Nice. Here at least in undergrad for the core courses we had to do either pre US civil history or post. Pre civil war started with the French and Indian war and we basically spent half a semester covering british government, the American Revolution, development of the US government, constitution, etc, War of 1812 with England again, and Louisiana purchase from France. Post civil has all US history till about the end of the 20th century especially all the major global conflicts. Most kids start learning in elementary school about the American Revolution in great detail actually. I can see why people can take offense to the war, but like many American's this is probably my favorite period in history to study.

Locopells
08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I'd say that's pretty much standard for any country, unless you have a specific World History angle to the subject.

ACPrincess
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I get to kill Blue Coats thats all that matters

InfamousQ1987
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM

And I get to kill Red Coats in my home town of Boston...thats all that really matters

De Filosoof
08-11-2012, 08:32 PM

And I get to kill Red Coats in my home town of Boston...thats all that really matters

*Sigh*...

Slayer_WTF
08-11-2012, 08:36 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110226155238/nonciclopedia/images/f/fd/Dawson.gif

InfamousQ1987
08-11-2012, 09:01 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110226155238/nonciclopedia/images/f/fd/Dawson.gif

I was just poking fun. It really doesn't matter to me. They were all brits at the time ;p I just want to play the "game" already.

rileypoole1234
08-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank God for Esco...

De Filosoof
08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks god.

InfamousQ1987
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks god.

My mother could be a templar target, I would love it...as long as it's done right

fanofthecreed
08-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Personaly I blame the marketing. They seemed to portray this game as a old timey call of duty where you run around killing everyone but mostly those evil redcoats. Me being from the US makes no difference imo, I see a game where I'm killing Templars. I will always have love for my Canadian neighbors and my friends from across the pond.

EscoBlades
08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
I feel bad for the general cynicsm more than anything else. That a video needed to be released to convince franchise fans that the Creative Director wasn't lying about Connor's neutrality.

In any case, it is done now. The argument was pointless to start with, but it should hopefully be squashed now.

On the flipside, was the marketing a bit biased? Sure. Were they trying to attract more of a market that was statistically behind Europe in sales? YUP!

arkangelyou
08-12-2012, 10:35 AM
lol. I laughed when the arrow with the bluecoat popped up!

EscoBlades
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM

:D Am glad everyone liked that light hearted moment

reddragonhrcro
08-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Haha yeah and when the scratch noise was at "Wait...What?":D

Krayus Korianis
08-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Frankly, I'm glad people complained. The marketing team was asking for it when they decided to make AC3 look like "Patriot: The Game" in previous trailers. Should be a good lesson for future

Honestly, I thought it looked like Assassin's Creed, what with the Assassins Logo shaped tomahawk, the beaked hood... You know, that blade thingy where it pops out from his left arm, yea that's pretty "Assassiny".

But keep up with your hate.

Assassin_M
08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Honestly, I thought it looked like Assassin's Creed, what with the Assassins Logo shaped tomahawk, the beaked hood... You know, that blade thingy where it pops out from his left arm, yea that's pretty "Assassiny".

But keep up with your hate.
"Im British and all I saw was Connor killing Templars" - Youtuber

Krayus Korianis
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
"Im British and all I saw was Connor killing Templars" - Youtuber

I'm American... All I saw was Templars getting a tomahawk to the chest.

Assassin_M
08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm American... All I saw was Templars getting a tomahawk to the chest.
See ? It depends on how you look at it, people..

Mr_Shade
08-12-2012, 06:39 PM
tbh haters gonna hate..

From day one, it was explained that Connor has his own agenda.. however it seems that if those people don't have a trailer showing them that - they won't believe anyone..

That could sometimes ruin a game though - since there are some things that are best kept secret..

Locopells
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
it's one thing to claim something, it's another to prove it, especially when everything is pointing the other way...

That said, as I've said, most people's problem lay with the contradiction rather then in not beliving the devs. Plus, his neutrality was hardly a secret and they seemed to have managed without a spoiler, so...

reddragonhrcro
08-12-2012, 09:06 PM
tbh haters gonna hate..

From day one, it was explained that Connor has his own agenda.. however it seems that if those people don't have a trailer showing them that - they won't believe anyone..

That could sometimes ruin a game though - since there are some things that are best kept secret..

http://i.minus.com/icN3W06FOv8Uw.gif

:rolleyes:

RatonhnhakeFan
08-12-2012, 09:17 PM

But keep up with your hate.This is not about what I see or don't see. I know the game will most likely be fair in its historical portrayal. That doesn't change the fact that Ubisoft's marketing departement deliberately aimed the campaign to cater to American-friendly view on the history of the revolution. Simple. I hate it just as much as I hate when marketing departments in my own country (Poland, not UK) try to cater to patriotic feelings based on biased/revisionist view of history to sell movies or TV shows or anything else

Black_Widow9
08-13-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm sorry but just because you feel that the Marketing was directed towards an "American-friendly" view doesn't mean that that is the truth.

In everyone's claims of this, what you are implying is that all American's are stupid and mindless and the only way we would purchase something is if it benefited our views or love for our nation. I just find that insulting and I'm quite sick of this discussion.

All of us love Assassin's Creed the entire series. I'm not going to purchase this just because it takes place in America. I would purchase it if it took place anywhere just like the rest of the Assassin's Creed series. The game looks amazing. We all want to play it. Why is it that now that it is in America there is a problem with the game? It's ridiculous. It is a completely different time than it is right now.

playassassins1
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm sorry but just because you feel that the Marketing was directed towards an "American-friendly" view doesn't mean that that is the truth.

In everyone's claims of this, what you are implying is that all American's are stupid and mindless and the only way we would purchase something is if it benefited our views or love for our nation. I just find that insulting and I'm quite sick of this discussion.

All of us love Assassin's Creed the entire series. I'm not going to purchase this just because it takes place in America. I would purchase it if it took place anywhere just like the rest of the Assassin's Creed series. The game looks amazing. We all want to play it. Why is it that now that it is in America there is a problem with the game? It's ridiculous. It is a completely different time than it is right now.

*claps* Well done Widow..... Well done....

Locopells
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM

So the devs were telling the truth when they said that game would be neutral, but lying when they said that there was a slant (which they did actually say)?

Dunno about others, but I know I never said that. It more implies what the marketing people think of the US, which is worse...

All of us love Assassin's Creed the entire series. I'm not going to purchase this just because it takes place in America. I would purchase it if it took place anywhere just like the rest of the Assassin's Creed series. The game looks amazing. We all want to play it.

Me too.

Why is it that now that it is in America there is a problem with the game? It's ridiculous. It is a completely different time than it is right now.

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but it was never the location that was the problem. If that ain't clear by now, I dunno what to say...

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Again, I can't speak for everyone, but it was never the location that was the problem. If that ain't clear by now, I dunno what to say...
Would people have complained about the Marketing if the game was set in say.... Egypt during the British Occupation and the Marketing ONLY showed Brtis being killed ?? The answer Is no, No one will admit it, but its true. This whole sentiment is because its America.

Again, you wont admit it..

Locopells
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but I can't help you there, whatever you might think. I know my own mind.

Quick history lesson for myself, I never realised we had Egypt for a bit! God I hate my school...

Anyway, since that was occupation pure and simple (as I read it) no, I would not have a problem. As long as the marketing accurately reflected the game.

TheHumanTowel
08-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but I can't help you there, whatever you might think. I know my own mind.

Quick history lesson for myself, I never realised we had Egypt for a bit! God I hate my school...

Anyway, since that was occupation pure and simple (as I read it) no, I would not have a problem. As long as the marketing accurately reflected the game.
I think that's a key reason why people have gotten angry over how this game was marketed. The marketing presented an image of the game that was contrary to how the devs were describing it. I doubt there would be as much controversy if the devs had said Connor is on the American side. There would be some obviously but that controversy would be about the game and not how it was marketed.

Locopells
08-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Thank you!

This is why the AnvilNext trailer is the best so far. Not just because of the bluecoat thing, that comes secondary to the fact they underline the 'America before it was America' and the 'Un-United States of America' points.

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Like I said.. wont admit it..

TheHumanTowel
08-13-2012, 01:47 AM
How constructive. You've pointed out people who disagree with you will disagree with you.

Locopells
08-13-2012, 01:47 AM

At the risk of getting petty, that's like saying you're purple with green spots on, and then saying I'm right just because you won't admit it.

I stated my position, you ain't gonna change it, however inconvenient it is for you. No offense.

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 01:48 AM
How constructive. You've pointed out people who disagree with you will disagree with you.
Exactly..

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 01:49 AM
At the risk of getting petty, that's like saying you're purple with green spots on, and then saying I'm right just because you won't admit it.

I stated my position, you ain't gonna change it, however inconvenient it is for you. No offense.
Non-taken..

Slayer_WTF
08-13-2012, 02:29 AM
All of us love Assassin's Creed the entire series. I'm not going to purchase this just because it takes place in America.

There is this fear in video games because they often treat it as the Americans are the victims (COD, Battlefield, Splinter Cell, Bad Company) and others as bad, which I think NOT happen with Assassin's Creed III. In short, in a game like AC where being fair and impartial had become a regular thing, with the arrival on the scene of America many people feared that this could bring down the kind of neutrality that surrounded the characters.

Locopells
08-13-2012, 03:23 AM
To be fair, Splinter Cell has often had Sam Fisher being quite cynical about that kinda thing.

Black_Widow9
08-13-2012, 03:50 AM
There is this fear in video games because they often treat it as the Americans are the victims (COD, Battlefield, Splinter Cell, Bad Company) and others as bad, which I think NOT happen with Assassin's Creed III. In short, in a game like AC where being fair and impartial had become a regular thing, with the arrival on the scene of America many people feared that this could bring down the kind of neutrality that surrounded the characters.
I get this bizarre fear but I can't understand how many times we have to say it wasn't America as we know it today. This isn't a shooter like the other games you and others have given an example for and it never will be. It's about Templar vs. Assassin's not American's vs. everyone else...

As Mr_Shade and myself have stated numerous times, maybe the reason you aren't seeing what is really going on is the Spoiler factor. To me that is 100x's more believable than trying to directly market to just one Nation just because. If that was the case everyone in America would love their Editions available for the game and no one would be upset about their content... :/ Think about it.

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Key sentence right there..

RatonhnhakeFan
08-13-2012, 04:06 AM
In everyone's claims of this, what you are implying is that all American's are stupid and mindless and the only way we would purchase something is if it benefited our views or love for our nation. I just find that insulting and I'm quite sick of this discussion. I didn't say anything like that, implied or would ever think all Americans are mindless etc. Don't imply that I did and then say I'm insulting you.

Especially when I brought up that I dislike the same marketing tactics used in my own country (when pushing products that deal with Polish history).

Black_Widow9
08-13-2012, 04:20 AM
I didn't say anything like that, implied or would ever think all Americans are mindless etc. Don't imply that I did and then say I'm insulting you.

Especially when I brought up that I dislike the same marketing tactics used in my own country (when pushing products that deal with Polish history).
It was a generalization which is why I said
In everyone's claims.

Blind2Society
08-13-2012, 04:46 AM
It seems so many people have forgotten that most Americans were in fact British. The only difference was loyalty to "royalty". I honestly don't think any of these people complaining are even from the UK. It's all people from other countries who are just looking for reasons to hate the US.

NOLA_Assassin
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
It seems so many people have forgotten that most Americans were in fact British. The only difference was loyalty to "royalty". I honestly don't think any of these people complaining are even from the UK. It's all people from other countries who are just looking for reasons to hate the US.

Actually most (at least that I've seen) are from Britain. Non Brits seem to actually like the setting.

Locopells
08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
How many times do I have to say this? It's not the setting that was ever the problem - the devs laid to rest any fears of that influencing the game's angle long ago (I had issues about how the gameplay would work, but the frontier alone has convinced me). It's the fact that until recently the marketing didn't reflect this.

Most people don't seem to realise that the issue is now gone. Assuming they keep on in the same thread as the AnvilNext trailer (which gave most of the points I outlined in an earlier post), most people aren't complaining anymore. The few that are should keep M happy, since their problem is the US.

Assassin_M
08-13-2012, 03:59 PM
How many times do I have to say this? It's not the setting that was ever the problem - the devs laid to rest any fears of that influencing the game's angle long ago (I had issues about how the gameplay would work, but the frontier alone has convinced me). It's the fact that until recently the marketing didn't reflect this.

Most people don't seem to realise that the issue is now gone. Assuming they keep on in the same thread as the AnvilNext trailer (which gave most of the points I outlined in an earlier post), most people aren't complaining anymore. The few that are should keep M happy, since their problem is the US.
Happy ? People complaining ? No.. Do you even Understand what i mean when I say "complain because of setting" ? It has nothing to do with the frontier, its that Innate feeling that ANYTHING USA will be "America, F YEAH !!" and most people had that fear, it wasnt because brits were being exclusively killed, it was because it was "USA", maybe that wasnt your problem, but Im sure It was a lot of people`s.

I mean We`v killed lots of Brits in many games, HELL in Uncharted the Antagonists are British. NO ONE GAVE A CRAP !! and the protagonist was American.
Here, The Protagonist is Half-British and people still complained..

reddragonhrcro
08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Well in any case still...

Locopells
08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Happy? People complaining? No... Do you even understand what I mean when I say "complain because of setting"? It has nothing to do with the frontier, it's that innate feeling that ANYTHING USA will be "America, F**K YEAH!!" and most people had that fear. It wasn't because Brits were being exclusively killed, it was because it was "USA", maybe that wasn't your problem, but I'm sure it was a lot of people`s.

Yeah of course I get what you meant, at least you returned the favor. Sorry M, I gotta keep the sarcasm in check...

I mean we'v killed lots of Brits in many games, HELL in Uncharted the antagonists are British. NO ONE GAVE A CRAP!!, and the protagonist was American. Here, the protagonist is half-British and people still complained...

I don't know Uncharted, sorry. Like I said, that's not my problem, but like the wise man said, haters gonna hate...

Black_Widow9
08-14-2012, 01:31 AM
You just made me almost spit my coffee everywhere. Bwhahaha

xXMrGR1NCHXx
08-14-2012, 01:32 AM
LOL! This is full of epic.

Locopells
08-14-2012, 01:57 AM
You just made me almost spit my coffee everywhere. Bwhahaha

Thank you for jamming that image in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqkzG0LHrhQ

Locopells
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/226/reviews/621796_20120814_790screen005.jpg

Slayer_WTF
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Have you noticed the British flag?

Locopells
08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Looks like we go after someone while they're attacking a British position.

Rakudaton
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Whatever anyone claims to the contrary, the marketing has been very American-oriented up to this point. It's not worrying because it's America per se, but because American has a reputation for very commonly being portrayed patriotically in films and games (and, of course, the British as being the bad guys). Therefore it's understandable why people were worried that AC was going to lose its neutrality -- claiming that Connor is neutral means nothing when your advertising runs completely counter to the claim. Those pretending that these fears are ridiculous and petty are either misunderstanding the issue or deliberately misrepresenting the idea. It's pretty simple.

Though showing some bluecoats' deaths was a bit reassuring, I'm still worried about just how neutral Connor really is. The Templars are obviously on one side or the other -- they're not going to be fighting against themselves within the war. This makes me think that the only supposed bluecoats we'll be killing within the storyline will be traitors who are helping the British. This is not what I would call neutrality.

Anyway, that is just speculation -- like those speculating that Connor will be neutral. Stop pretending the game is already out and that we know that he's neutral. Until we see the story we will not know. And until then, we have a right to be a little worried about some over-zealous patriotism ruining the storyling of a brilliant series.

massmurdera_666
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
It's hate of the United States. Everyone hates the U.S., but by god does everyone want to live here. But seriously, can't we all just get along? (if you know who first said that you're just as old as me :p)

Anyways, on a serious note, why all the hate England? Can you seriously still be butt hurt after the American Revolution? All great empire's are bound to collapse and lose their power, look at all the empire's of history, they all fell and eventually we'll fall just like you. Who knows, maybe Canada will be the next great empire, they are awfully quiet up there and know how to stay off of most countries radars. And really, in all of the AC games has Ubisoft ever been biased towards any one side? No they haven't. Don't blame Ubisoft for a bunch of greedy ad exec's mental incompetence and don't blame the American people, they didn't make it here, they made it in Canada. In the words of the great people of South Park, "BLAME CANADA!!!"

DarkSolitude-X
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
It's hate of the United States. Everyone hates the U.S., but by god does everyone want to live here. But seriously, can't we all just get along? (if you know who first said that you're just as old as me :p)

Anyways, on a serious note, why all the hate England? Can you seriously still be butt hurt after the American Revolution? All great empire's are bound to collapse and lose their power, look at all the empire's of history, they all fell and eventually we'll fall just like you. Who knows, maybe Canada will be the next great empire, they are awfully quiet up there and know how to stay off of most countries radars. And really, in all of the AC games has Ubisoft ever been biased towards any one side? No they haven't. Don't blame Ubisoft for a bunch of greedy ad exec's mental incompetence and don't blame the American people, they didn't make it here, they made it in Canada. In the words of the great people of South Park, "BLAME CANADA!!!"

Alot of the media in other countries are biased against the U.S. The BBC was even called out by Tony Blair for being biased. If people get told something so many times, they will believe it.

Hate also comes from the recent wars in the middle east (Afghanistan and Iraq), and apparently our government coerces theirs into one-sided deals.

Steww-
08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Anyways, on a serious note, why all the hate England? Can you seriously still be butt hurt after the American Revolution?
I hope you're just trying to provoke a reaction saying that, and not being genuine.

Alot of the media in other countries are biased against the U.S. The BBC was even called out by Tony Blair for being biased. If people get told something so many times, they will believe it.
The BBC is one of the most biased organisations in Britain, favouring Tony Blair and co. The fact it is funded by the tax-payer, and yet so clearly forgets it's impartiality, is a real shame.

Locopells
08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Whatever anyone claims to the contrary, the marketing has been very American-oriented up to this point. It's not worrying because it's America per se, but because American has a reputation for very commonly being portrayed patriotically in films and games (and, of course, the British as being the bad guys). Therefore it's understandable why people were worried that AC was going to lose its neutrality -- claiming that Connor is neutral means nothing when your advertising runs completely counter to the claim. Those pretending that these fears are ridiculous and petty are either misunderstanding the issue or deliberately misrepresenting the idea. It's pretty simple.

Finally, someone gets it!

Though showing some bluecoats' deaths was a bit reassuring, I'm still worried about just how neutral Connor really is. The Templars are obviously on one side or the other -- they're not going to be fighting against themselves within the war. This makes me think that the only supposed bluecoats we'll be killing within the storyline will be traitors who are helping the British. This is not what I would call neutrality.

There probably will be a slight lean towards the bluecoats, if only because they are, in theory, fighting for freedom. Also, ear in mind that there is a theory that the Founding Fathers, as Masons, may be a breakaway sect of the Templars, so...

Anyway, that is just speculation -- like those speculating that Connor will be neutral. Stop pretending the game is already out and that we know that he's neutral. Until we see the story we will not know. And until then, we have a right to be a little worried about some over-zealous patriotism ruining the storyling of a brilliant series.

Agreed, but do also remember the following.

And really, in all of the AC games has Ubisoft ever been biased towards any one side? No they haven't. Don't blame Ubisoft for a bunch of greedy ad exec's mental incompetence and don't blame the American people, they didn't make it here, they made it in Canada. In the words of the great people of South Park, "BLAME CANADA!!!"

It's hate of the United States. Everyone hates the U.S., but by god does everyone want to live here. But seriously, can't we all just get along? (if you know who
first said that you're just as old as me :p)

OK, I'll bite - who?

Anyways, on a serious note, why all the hate England? Can you seriously still be butt hurt after the American Revolution? All great empire's are bound to collapse and lose their power, look at all the empire's of history, they all fell and eventually we'll fall just like you. Who knows, maybe Canada will be the next great empire, they are awfully quiet up there and know how to stay off of most countries radars.

I think if we're being honest here, why a lot of people have a problem with potential over-patriotism in the game is not the fact we lost, but the self-glorifying account of events that there is still in a tendency in some (I cannot stress that enough) quarters to portray, and that sometimes leaks out into things like this. Especially when it is often used as the basis for dodgy modern-day politics.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 04:13 PM
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/226/reviews/621796_20120814_screen005.jpg

Yay ?

DarkSolitude-X
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2012/226/reviews/621796_20120814_screen005.jpg

Yay ?

Caption of middle colonial soldier "Oh f*** me!"

LOL

Locopells
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Already done that M, sorry.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Already done that M, sorry.
Yeah and only one replied to you. sorry

Locopells
08-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Eh?

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Eh?
Exactly...

Locopells
08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I can guess what you meant, but it helps if you say.

Why should I care if only one person replied? I put the shot up to benefit the discussion, not myself.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I can guess what you meant, but it helps if you say.

Why should I care if only one person replied? I put the shot up to benefit the discussion, not myself.
And why should I care if you posted it before me ?

Locopells
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Touché, I suppose, but I get the feeling you had more intent then just pointing it out. My bad, if I'm wrong.

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Touché, I suppose, but I get the feeling you had more intent then just pointing it out. My bad, if I'm wrong.
Dont worry about it, man

YOU MA BUDDY !!!

Locopells
08-15-2012, 05:16 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/7/19/5c1b252c-3d54-4dc1-ac18-e8f739fd61ef.jpg

De Filosoof
08-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Amen to that bro. :)

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't agree..

Psychopompador
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Sigh.... I'm not sure how (or why) a large group of Canadian, and Singaporean, game developers would make a pro-America über patriotic protagonist.

Whatever....

RatonhnhakeFan
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't agree..yes we know

Rakudaton
08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't agree..

Then I would be very happy to hear your reasons, if you would like to present them. And if I've made a mistake in my reasoning, feel free to point it out. (Although if you're tired of this topic, as many people are, don't feel you have to.)

Let's all get along and be happy! ;) Anyone? Anyone...?

Assassin_M
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Then I would be very happy to hear your reasons, if you would like to present them. And if I've made a mistake in my reasoning, feel free to point it out. (Although if you're tired of this topic, as many people are, don't feel you have to.)

Let's all get along and be happy! ;) Anyone? Anyone...?
No, I don't see any mistake in your reasoning, its an Opinion and I have no right to call an Opinion flawed. I just have a different Opinion than yours is all and Indeed I am tired of discussing this, but since you`v been very nice and professional (Unlike others) I would be very welcoming to explain it one more time..

During the early Marketing Campaign in AC I, EVERY piece of Media showed Altair killing "Exclusively" Europeans, The CGI reveal trailer, the CGI intro, The E3 Gameplay EVERYTHING showed Altair killing only Europeans, it wasn't until Mid 2007 that they finally showed him killing Arabs. Now My opinion on this is that this whole "Pro-america" Bias thing is based on the fact that the game is set in America and it doesn't have to do with Biased marketing, so that's how I see it..

And yes, I`d be glad if we all got to get along;)

RaulO4
08-16-2012, 01:12 PM
i wonder when people would go "Wait, Red coats ... Briton......Blue coats....Briton, Wow that right its a Bloody Civil War."

the only real Americans are the "Natives".....

Locopells
08-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I would say, and this is a testament to how much people care about narrative, that Assassin's Creed 3 has hit a nerve with its themes and settings.

The best thing about it was that people had a view. That was perfect. People were debating it. We had no interest in writing about the patriots or the defenders of king and country. I mean, these are very boring stories. It's funny to see these debates online, and we just gave up trying to communicate on it because the game will speak for itself.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/363428/assassins-creed-iii-interview-alex-hutchinson/?page=3#top_banner

POP1Fan
08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
No, I don't see any mistake in your reasoning, its an Opinion and I have no right to call an Opinion flawed. I just have a different Opinion than yours is all and Indeed I am tired of discussing this, but since you`v been very nice and professional (Unlike others) I would be very welcoming to explain it one more time..

During the early Marketing Campaign in AC I, EVERY piece of Media showed Altair killing "Exclusively" Europeans, The CGI reveal trailer, the CGI intro, The E3 Gameplay EVERYTHING showed Altair killing only Europeans, it wasn't until Mid 2007 that they finally showed him killing Arabs. Now My opinion on this is that this whole "Pro-america" Bias thing is based on the fact that the game is set in America and it doesn't have to do with Biased marketing, so that's how I see it..

And yes, I`d be glad if we all got to get along;)

Well, since the game wasn't even out yet at that point the series didn't really have that identity of portraying neutrality so no one cared. These two can't be compared because AC3 is already the fifth game in the series and is now known for being neutral. Back then, when you are giving examples the marketing could very well have just been a man killing his invadors, perfectly fine. But AC didn't do this and we got the neutral Assassin Order and the neutral Altair. Much better of course.
Now we have an established identity for the series, that the AC3 MARKETING seems to not acknowledge.

Rakudaton, you made a great post. But be sure that the game itself is not going to be biased. I am sure of it.

Locopells
08-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I have to second that POP. Although I didn't get into/hear of AC untill AC1 was out on PC, when I read an article about the upcoming AC2, so I never actually saw any of AC1's marketing.

Assassin_M
08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, since the game wasn't even out yet at that point the series didn't really have that identity of portraying neutrality so no one cared. These two can't be compared because AC3 is already the fifth game in the series and is now known for being neutral. Back then, when you are giving examples the marketing could very well have just been a man killing his invadors, perfectly fine. But AC didn't do this and we got the neutral Assassin Order and the neutral Altair. Much better of course.
Now we have an established identity for the series, that the AC3 MARKETING seems to not acknowledge.

Rakudaton, you made a great post. But be sure that the game itself is not going to be biased. I am sure of it.
Which is exactly my point. No one cared..
But now, since AC is known for Neutrality, every one was jumping their seats, why did ANYONE think that after 5 games of Neutrality, the game would suddenly ponder to a specific group ?? Also AC I`s marketing did not acknowledge Altair`s Neutrality.. exactly like AC III`s trailers..

Jay_2750
08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm British and I don't care about it.
This is all about the past, not about the present.
In addition, does anyone know where I can change my profile picture.

POP1Fan
08-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Which is exactly my point. No one cared..
But now, since AC is known for Neutrality, every one was jumping their seats, why did ANYONE think that after 5 games of Neutrality, the game would suddenly ponder to a specific group ?? Also AC I`s marketing did not acknowledge Altair`s Neutrality.. exactly like AC III`s trailers..
Which brings us to my point. The marketing is, or was untill the Anvil trailer a little biased. Will the game be like that? Most likely not, but can some people fear it will be, sure they can.

Assassin_M
08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Which brings us to my point. The marketing is, or was untill the Anvil trailer a little biased. Will the game be like that? Most likely not, but can some people fear it will be, sure they can.
The same can be said about AC I`s marketing, but your making up an excuse that is not really convincing at all, in that we shouldn't compare the 2 games for reasons that are not even relevant, actually by your logic, people shouldn't be afraid right now, because the game had already established a Neutral base, why deviate now ?

Im not one to say what people should and shouldn't do, but someone who knows Assassins Creed shouldn't have flipped at the Media..

POP1Fan
08-19-2012, 08:40 AM
The same can be said about AC I`s marketing, but your making up an excuse that is not really convincing at all, in that we shouldn't compare the 2 games for reasons that are not even relevant, actually by your logic, people shouldn't be afraid right now, because the game had already established a Neutral base, why deviate now ?

Im not one to say what people should and shouldn't do, but someone who knows Assassins Creed shouldn't have flipped at the Media..

Don't you underand that I am in no way talking about the game? People fear that they are not going to get what they got before, because they are being marketed something else. It's not that hard.

Assassin_M
08-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Don't you underand that I am in no way talking about the game? People fear that they are not going to get what they got before, because they are being marketed something else. It's not that hard.
We`r going in circles..I wont convince you and you wont convince me.. I still stand by the reason that there is a whole fuss about this is because its set in America..
Its not about Marketing, and not about Who Connor kills.. Its about the setting. Do not convince me otherwise, because I Honestly find your logic very Unconvincing..

Kit572
08-19-2012, 09:15 AM
We`r going in circles..I wont convince you and you wont convince me..

I got to remember that next time I'm in an argument.

btw, what does We`r mean? xD

Assassin_M
08-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I got to remember that next time I'm in an argument.

btw, what does We`r mean? xD
Yes, im the best at arguments.. Im always right and I always win.. everyone avoids arguing with me because Im an arrogant, stubborn bastard.

and "We`r" is " We are"

Kit572
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Yes, im the best at arguments.. Im always right and I always win.. everyone avoids arguing with me because Im an arrogant, stubborn bastard.

and "We`r" is " We are"

I know it does, I was just making fun of your typo which aparently wasn't a typo... meanwhile I just spelt apparently wrong but I'm too lazy to fix it.

I thought it was spelt "We're", not "We`r". Guess the spellings different over here in Australia.

Locopells
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Just one thing I wanna throw into the ring, regarding AC1's advertising. Presumably we were told that Altair would be fighting Templars. At that time you didn't know their influence stretched over both sides, so when you heard 'Templars', you presumably assumed they were talking just about the actual official Knight Templars - which were Crusaders. Therefore it make sense that they focused on this in the marketing, as you say they did, in order to not give away then unknown aspects of the AC universe.

I say 'you' in the generic sense, as I didn't see any of this.

This time round it's different though Since we now know the Assassins are neutral, we dislike having the game mis-marketed as pro either side. Not because AC fans can't see though it, but because it's not truly reflective of the game (that the devs say they're making, bear in mind it's not out yet after all) for the new fans they keep on about wanting to attract. This is the problem, not the location. The obsession from some (and no, M this isn't aimed at you, others keep on about it as well) that we all hate America rather smacks of paranoia. Sure some do, but I'm not gonna get into that.

Now where did I leave my riot sheld?

Kit572
08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Now where did I leave my riot sheld?

Haha! that made me lol...

Locopells
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I aim to please!

Layytez
08-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Their marketing was flawed and they have rectified that now. Although we all know there are templars on both sides our enemy guards have to be redcoats. Bluecoats being enemy guards would make no sense at all. So templars on both sides but our primary enemy are the british. Bluecoats templars can only be story specific because them as a whole are fighting for freedom.

POP1Fan
08-19-2012, 02:51 PM
We`r going in circles..I wont convince you and you wont convince me.. I still stand by the reason that there is a whole fuss about this is because its set in America..
Its not about Marketing, and not about Who Connor kills.. Its about the setting. Do not convince me otherwise, because I Honestly find your logic very Unconvincing..

And since most of the time, in media, the british are shown as EVIL and americans as the great GOOD it also helps my point. When the marketing is all biased on the american side and everytime America is in something they are the good guys, the fear some people get that the game is not going to be neutral is understandable.

payrob07
08-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I mean, yeah, I understand completely where you're coming from, but it's hard to completely appeal to one side or the other without offending someone. From a marketing standpoint, they prob made their decision based on it being easily recognizable to the general public. The American Revolution strongly carries the theme of Patriotism, liberty, and democracy. Here in the states, many people would be confused if you had an american Revolution game trailer where you kill a bunch of Patriots. That prob wouldn't go over too well when it is one of the most important events of our country and we all grew up being taught that we revolted for the greater good and to rid ourselves from anarchy and oppression. I'm sure if they made a game about the civil war, the assassin will be shown killing a lot of my ancestors here in the south because history basically looks at the South as the bad guys of the time and the North as the good guys fighting against slavery among many other things. But that's history, we can't change it. It's the same reason why connor is decorated in Patriot colors instead of a red coat. For marketing reasons, people would be like why the heck is the main character a bad guy when it's about the "American Revolution". Plus, EVERYONE IS BRITISH AT DURING THIS TIME PERIOD.

I've had to kill my ancestors in ACII and Brotherhood, but I didn't care. That same family came and help founded the states and I am proud to kill the British because they were not very nice in England on July 4th.

Calvarok
08-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Something I hope everyone remembers is that the american revolution is only the middle part of the game. Like, it is only the second third of the game. Before and after that, our antagonists are probably going to be mainly colonist-based. The revolution brings in the British redcoats, and they will probably be villains a lot of the time they are in the story, because they are a major giant attacking force against a smaller one. Can you really spin that into them being the sympathetic side? Anyways, the reason we've been seeing them being killed most is because the game is being marketed as being set in the revolution. And they're purposefully only showing scenes from the revolution, because that doesn't give anything away about the story before and after.

Alex said that we have not seen any video or screens of anything from the first 3 hours of the game. You know, the part where the soon-to-be americans DESTROY CONNER'S VILLAGE?

Yeah the game that starts off with american oppression of natives is definitely pure propoganda.

Locopells
08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
This is why I'm impatient for the story trailer that will actually give a hint of all this stuff, and actually tell us some more about Connor, rather then the setting, which has been done to death.

LightRey
08-22-2012, 11:57 AM
"I'm British and I never noticed, all I saw was an Assassin killing templars."

Nothing but respect for this comment..
Amen.

Locopells
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Hey Rey, nice to see ya back.

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 01:42 AM
http://motivationalmaker.com/saved_posters/poster_sgnxn6y6th.jpg

in all seriousness......
I understand, as most people do, that Connor is neutral when it comes to taking out the templars on both sides but wouldn't it make sense for him to also aid the side fighting for freedom from oppression of anarchy? As an assassin, he is against control so I don't think we'll likely ever see him aid the red coats like he does the continental army. Which is why all the trailers make him seem like he is on the side of the rebels. Just a thought. But then of course we do see more of a grey area between the assassins and templars this time around.

What I don't understand (and maybe it's because I'm American and haven't been anywhere outside of the states) is why is everyone so offended by killing red coats? America was fighting for democracy and freedom and the loyalists massacred and waged war against them for their beliefs. Not to judge other countries, but wouldn't most people today want that as well and frown upon tyranny that denies people their basic human rights?

Locopells
08-23-2012, 02:20 AM
It's not the killing redcoats, it was the marketing that was the problem. Mainly because things weren't that simple.

Blind2Society
08-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Care to elaborate for someone who doesn't see what the problem is?

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 04:32 AM
It's not the killing redcoats, it was the marketing that was the problem. Mainly because things weren't that simple.

Looking at it now, I think the marketing was just portraying mainly what the game will be like. You will be mostly killing redcoats and aiding the continental army in their fight for freedom. But Connor's main objective is his hunt for templars so you will be taking down some continentals when taking down templars on the continental side. There are a lot more well trained redcoats than patriots anyways.

TaleraRis
08-23-2012, 04:51 AM

I find it insulting as well. That's why this whole marketing campaign has really cheesed me off. But let's face it, this Team America Rah Rah mindset is exactly what they thought we wanted to see.

I understand that with this setting, we're going to kill a lot of guards in red coats because a lot of the guards and officials in the area were in redcoats. But there has been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of a focus on British = Templar = oppression = bad and colonist = Assassin = free will = good. And that's just not the game a lot of fans are looking forward to.

Blind2Society
08-23-2012, 05:16 AM
this Team America Rah Rah mindset

Every person in the world can be patriotic and proud of their country but we in America have to hate ourselves? Go bury your head.

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 05:17 AM
The equal signs don't make much sense. You can't have templar = assassin = free will. That's like saying A = B = C but C > A. Won't work. But i'm just giving ya a hard time so no worries.

If that's what you think a lot of fans are NOT looking forward to then I must be in the minority because I'm definitely looking forward to that. I like the whole patriotism and freedom thing fighting against oppression. It's two ideologies that are at war with one another just like the assassins and templars. No one should get offended with the whole patriotism, America is awesome thing. It takes place during birth of America so obviously it's going to be a major theme which is awesome. We're are proud country and from everything I've grown up with, we don't ever frown upon the rest of the world or think we're better than them. We're just proud to have freedom like the assassins are fighting for. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Freedom

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 05:20 AM
The equal signs don't make much sense. You can't have templar = assassin = free will. That's like saying A = B = C but C > A. Won't work. But i'm just giving ya a hard time so no worries.

If that's what you think a lot of fans are NOT looking forward to then I must be in the minority because I'm definitely looking forward to that. I like the whole patriotism and freedom thing fighting against oppression. It's two ideologies that are at war with one another just like the assassins and templars. No one should get offended with the whole patriotism, America is awesome thing. It takes place during birth of America so obviously it's going to be a major theme which is awesome. We're are proud country and from everything I've grown up with, we don't ever frown upon the rest of the world or think we're better than them. We're just proud to have freedom like the assassins are fighting for. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Freedom
Ladies and gentlemen..

I present to you the beginning of controversy xD

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 05:22 AM
I was waiting for you to show up M.

How's egypt this fine morning?

TaleraRis
08-23-2012, 05:30 AM

'merica! F Yeah! ;)

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 05:32 AM
I was waiting for you to show up M.

How's egypt this fine morning?
Oh she`s fine..
A bit colder than yesterday, but she`s good..you know.

TaleraRis
08-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Every person in the world can be patriotic and proud of their country but we in America have to hate ourselves? Go bury your head.

There's a difference between loving your country and being proud of it, and being so blindly patriotic that you think it can do no wrong, is the poster child for the rest of the world and anyone who doesn't like your country is just jealous that they don't live here.

It's that sort of mindset that can't handle a little historical controversy and can't sit at the big kids table with the rest of the world. And when that mindset is aimed at me as a fan in a marketing campaign, then I'm insulted.

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Oh she`s fine..
A bit colder than yesterday, but she`s good..you know.

Wish I did. I've always wanted to travel there or live somewhere besides the states. Get's kind of old here.

Blind2Society
08-23-2012, 05:44 AM
There's a difference between loving your country and being proud of it, and being so blindly patriotic that you think it can do no wrong, is the poster child for the rest of the world and anyone who doesn't like your country is just jealous that they don't live here.

It's that sort of mindset that can't handle a little historical controversy and can't sit at the big kids table with the rest of the world. And when that mindset is aimed at me as a fan in a marketing campaign, then I'm insulted.

I don't know where you get your idea of the US from but I suggest you find a new source. "So blindly patriotic that we can do no wrong" Where is there any evidence of that? "can't handle a little historical controversy and can't sit at the big kids table with the rest of the world" And where is there any evidence of that?

I think that you just blindly hate us so much based on crap information that anything that doesn't portray us as evil upsets you.

Assassin_M
08-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Lets all just grow up and stop this crap, Ok ? You`re all acting like children. This is Assassins Creed, Get that bit ? Assassins Creed.. Not the Birth of America simulator and certainly not the British evil expose..

Connor is fighting Templars, not Blue Coats and not Red Coats, just Templars. Every country has its good and bad, so you either accept that fact and shut up or go whine about it elsewhere..

This is not targeted towards any specific person..

projectpat06
08-23-2012, 05:58 AM
This thread is like a disfunctional relationship. You go through a heated argument with your girlfriend until you both realize it was dumb to begin with so you have your little make up sex session. Then two days later, you have the same da** argument with the same stupid invalid reasons. I'm just as guilty. Eventually it becomes a reason just to get a "rise" out of it (see what I did there) until the make up sex gets old and you just call it quits. Time to move on. Closed.

TaleraRis
08-23-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't know where you get your idea of the US from but I suggest you find a new source. "So blindly patriotic that we can do no wrong" Where is there any evidence of that? "can't handle a little historical controversy and can't sit at the big kids table with the rest of the world" And where is there any evidence of that?

I think that you just blindly hate us so much based on crap information that anything that doesn't portray us as evil upsets you.

I love my country ^_^

Locopells
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
This thread is like a disfunctional relationship. You go through a heated argument with your girlfriend until you both realize it was dumb to begin with so you have your little make up sex session. Then two days later, you have the same da** argument with the same stupid invalid reasons. I'm just as guilty. Eventually it becomes a reason just to get a "rise" out of it (see what I did there) until the make up sex gets old and you just call it quits. Time to move on. Closed.

Yeah I know what you mean. I get fed up of explaining exactly what the problem is, and then having to do it all over again.

I'm out, have fun people...

freddie_1897
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
if you don't want your country to be offended, don't go on youtube, ever.

or do as i do and laugh at the ignorance shown on youtube

De Filosoof
08-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Yeah, "free".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt49DsfKDMc

projectpat06
08-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, "free".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt49DsfKDMc

ahahaha yeah very true. But at least it was the original idea

Assassin_M
08-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I get fed up of explaining exactly what the problem is, and then having to do it all over again.

I'm out, have fun people...
Can you just let this die ? You always want this crap to end, but Ironically, you`re the one that brings it back up..

Locopells
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Sod's law, mate!

Locopells
08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
I know, it's sod's law!

MT4K
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I know, it's sod's law!

You deleted your previous post saying basically the same thing just to bump the thread? Not the best idea....

Locopells
08-29-2012, 01:34 PM
I was trying to edit and hit the wrong button. I need a new mouse...

Fury074ubi
08-30-2012, 01:43 AM

Or they could be Templars who are looking to set up shop should the 'American Rebels' pull off what was seen as impossible at the time, and win the rebellion or Revolution.