PDA

View Full Version : Radiator

blackeagle0803
07-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I am new to IL2 and I was wondering what the radiator flaps were for. There seems to be several different settings for it as well.
Also, what does the combat flap position do.

Thanks...

blackeagle0803
07-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I am new to IL2 and I was wondering what the radiator flaps were for. There seems to be several different settings for it as well.
Also, what does the combat flap position do.

Thanks...

Chuck_Older
07-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Radiator 'flaps' is a bit misnamed. What you really need to know is that it is a system that meters the airflow around the cooling system. More airflow equals more cooling.

On radial engines, these take the form of what look like gills around the engine cowling.

On an aircraft with a liquid cooled engine, the radiator 'door' can be in several places- for instance, on the P-51, it is in back of the scoop under the fuselage.

The radiator 'flaps' are always a compromise between cooling efficiency and drag reduction.

"Combat" flaps is again a misnomer. Flaps are actually typically deployed in degrees: 5*, 10*, 15*.
Strictly speaking, not many aircraft really had "combat" flaps, but a common tactic in, for instance, the USAAC and USAAF was to "sneak down" or "dial in" a small amount of flap.

A flap is a high lift device on each wing's back (trailing) edge. These deploy by essentially tilting down, this changing the amount of lift generated by the wing by means of changing the shape of the aerofoil.

In combat, when a tight turn is needed, 5* or sometimes even 10* of flap was employed to raise the stall speed of the airplane, so a slower, tighter turn could be made.

"Combat" flaps are not a system of flaps in additional to the wing flaps. The later models P-38 had so-called "Fowler" flaps which may have been auxiliary to the normal flaps, I don't quite recall.

While flaps will aid lift, they reduce speed due to drag.

The game simply calls the first setting of flap "combat" flaps

Killers in America work seven days a week
~ Clash

DD_NL
07-25-2004, 02:11 PM
May I add to that: combat flaps are also great for braking if you come up to close on your target. I've also used full flaps to drop speed even more, but you have to retract them again real quick or they will jam http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

http://home.tiscali.nl/ddonline/IL-2/nighthawk.jpg

BennyMoore
07-25-2004, 08:58 PM
They also give annoying lift, which may throw off your aim.

Real aircraft do indeed use degrees, but the P-38 pilot's handbook does mention "combat flaps," just like that. Apparently there is a setting for that at perhaps ten degrees.

blackeagle0803
07-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Thanks a lot - it's really helpful.