PDA

View Full Version : Tales from online: 109f4 and 109g2 vs allied fighters, full real.

Jumoschwanz
05-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Had some fun times in the 109f4 and g2 recently on some cockpit-on,friendly/no-icon servers.

Online, on the desert map, in the 109g2 with gunpods, I was climbing to alt and got hit with fifties out of the blue at about 3k alt. I do an abreviated split S then a turn, all the while hatswitching all over hell for who hit me. I get straight and climb into the sun yawing and rocking to see behind me. There, behind and below a late P-51, green on top with the white stripes on the wings. I am climbing into the sun as best I can and still keep my speed at 250 on the speedbar. I figure I am in trouble because I have the heavy gunpods on. My engine shows overheat and I have it running at 110%, I will keep it there too.
To my surprise the P-51 is holding position pretty much. Who knows why. He looks close enough to rock the nose up and hit me before he stalls. Now he looks a hair closer, time to make a move before he does. I drop level for an instant and get my speed to 270, I know from experience this will let me go vertical with a little grace. Smoothly back and straight up I go, into the sun's glare. When my airspeed is gone I fall back as controlled as I can, looking all over like a madman. As fast as I can I am readying to get back into the sun, my wings catching their lift again, gaining speed, there is the mustang! He is recovering and climbing too toward the sun. He has a head start and I cannot climb enough to pull lead for a shot. He goes up and stalls, I go up and stall, we both go down again. He dives and does a big zoom down and back up. I am surprised I can follow him in the g2 with gunpods and combat flaps on, but I am on the ragged edge of control. Pulls up ahead a bit, hammerheads and heads back, I catch his wingtip with my cannons but it is not a good hit. We both go back up to finish our respective zooms. I do a big loop back, we meet at the top and I get good deflection shot in, he is hurt and dives straight down, I follow. Straight toward a cloud I squeeze off shots and hits until he is in the cloud. I pull up and he goes straight into the ground because I get the enemy plane destroyed on the HUD.

I am amazed that a g2 with gunpods could climb with and stay with a late P-51 at all. But later on, on the same and different servers I did it again and again. I had heard the P-51s were uber handlers now but not if I can stay on thier tales toting gunpods.

I was in the 109f4 and spotted a P39 sneaking up on me. I started to scissor and he could not keep the pace, I ended up after a fashion on his tail hitting him. The P-39 seems to handle just as well and can really sustain a turn and not lose E. But it is nice to see the 109s as good as they ever were. The 20mm single cannon on these planes take a really good or lucky shot to get a kill, there is no spray and pray like there is when you have four to eight fifties mounted. IN a sparsley populated server I like to mix it up in the F4, but in a busy server I stay at alt and try to do zoom and boom in the g2 or g6 with the gunpods. I am not a big fan of the mk108. It has a slow rate of fire and a big recoil and muzzle flash and is harder to hit with than the twenty. I have had a lot of planes fly between it's projectiles on deflection shots, and even in this patch I have seen planes take a 30mm hit and fly on with no apparent effect. If you look at WWII pics of damage to planes hit by german 20 and 30mm weapons you get the idea that not too many flew away after taking hits from them.
So I go with the twenty mm gunpods and get a very high rate of fire, better visibility than the 190, and acceptable handling and turning in a tight spot. Sure for pure dogfighting fun I will have a 109 with no gunpods, but with the limited time you have for a shot in the heat of combat, I don't want to spend time making more than one or two shots at an opponent, and I usually do not have that luxury.

Jumoschwanz

[This message was edited by Jumoschwanz on Mon May 24 2004 at 09:42 AM.]

Jumoschwanz
05-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Had some fun times in the 109f4 and g2 recently on some cockpit-on,friendly/no-icon servers.

Online, on the desert map, in the 109g2 with gunpods, I was climbing to alt and got hit with fifties out of the blue at about 3k alt. I do an abreviated split S then a turn, all the while hatswitching all over hell for who hit me. I get straight and climb into the sun yawing and rocking to see behind me. There, behind and below a late P-51, green on top with the white stripes on the wings. I am climbing into the sun as best I can and still keep my speed at 250 on the speedbar. I figure I am in trouble because I have the heavy gunpods on. My engine shows overheat and I have it running at 110%, I will keep it there too.
To my surprise the P-51 is holding position pretty much. Who knows why. He looks close enough to rock the nose up and hit me before he stalls. Now he looks a hair closer, time to make a move before he does. I drop level for an instant and get my speed to 270, I know from experience this will let me go vertical with a little grace. Smoothly back and straight up I go, into the sun's glare. When my airspeed is gone I fall back as controlled as I can, looking all over like a madman. As fast as I can I am readying to get back into the sun, my wings catching their lift again, gaining speed, there is the mustang! He is recovering and climbing too toward the sun. He has a head start and I cannot climb enough to pull lead for a shot. He goes up and stalls, I go up and stall, we both go down again. He dives and does a big zoom down and back up. I am surprised I can follow him in the g2 with gunpods and combat flaps on, but I am on the ragged edge of control. Pulls up ahead a bit, hammerheads and heads back, I catch his wingtip with my cannons but it is not a good hit. We both go back up to finish our respective zooms. I do a big loop back, we meet at the top and I get good deflection shot in, he is hurt and dives straight down, I follow. Straight toward a cloud I squeeze off shots and hits until he is in the cloud. I pull up and he goes straight into the ground because I get the enemy plane destroyed on the HUD.

I am amazed that a g2 with gunpods could climb with and stay with a late P-51 at all. But later on, on the same and different servers I did it again and again. I had heard the P-51s were uber handlers now but not if I can stay on thier tales toting gunpods.

I was in the 109f4 and spotted a P39 sneaking up on me. I started to scissor and he could not keep the pace, I ended up after a fashion on his tail hitting him. The P-39 seems to handle just as well and can really sustain a turn and not lose E. But it is nice to see the 109s as good as they ever were. The 20mm single cannon on these planes take a really good or lucky shot to get a kill, there is no spray and pray like there is when you have four to eight fifties mounted. IN a sparsley populated server I like to mix it up in the F4, but in a busy server I stay at alt and try to do zoom and boom in the g2 or g6 with the gunpods. I am not a big fan of the mk108. It has a slow rate of fire and a big recoil and muzzle flash and is harder to hit with than the twenty. I have had a lot of planes fly between it's projectiles on deflection shots, and even in this patch I have seen planes take a 30mm hit and fly on with no apparent effect. If you look at WWII pics of damage to planes hit by german 20 and 30mm weapons you get the idea that not too many flew away after taking hits from them.
So I go with the twenty mm gunpods and get a very high rate of fire, better visibility than the 190, and acceptable handling and turning in a tight spot. Sure for pure dogfighting fun I will have a 109 with no gunpods, but with the limited time you have for a shot in the heat of combat, I don't want to spend time making more than one or two shots at an opponent, and I usually do not have that luxury.

Jumoschwanz

[This message was edited by Jumoschwanz on Mon May 24 2004 at 09:42 AM.]

crazyivan1970
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Pretty cool thing you got going here Jumo, keep them coming.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Groundbait
05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Great reading for a novice 109 fan http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Keep em coming...

moksha
05-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah ditto that-excellent read thanks.