PDA

View Full Version : I fear this is a two-disc game for xbox..

Saar Ben Kiki
08-02-2012, 11:09 PM
ive been very skeptic about this, and ac3 seems very next gen....
so lets sum up all the content ac3 has:

- frontier 150% brotherhood rome, new york and bostom each 75% of rome, naval free roam and linear philladelphia mission (confirmed in interview) maybe more
- 20% longer story than ac2
- thousands of npcs on each map
-amazing graphics
-all maps of all four seasons
-1000 animations just for connor alone
-cgi cinematics
-nice long soundtrack like acr (probably long, estimating due to lonre's quality and quantity)
-side missions, economy and clubs for hunting

combine this, and thats just everything we know of yet.... so would you think itd be two discs? i mean, the game's scope in EVERY aspect is huge i cant believe it would end up one disc for xbox.... im really skeptic and doubtful... whatcha think?

xChupa
08-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling it will be at least two, maybe even three (such as LA Noire) disks.
A game this expansive and with this much detail; I just can't see it all fitting on a single DVD.

Luckily I don't have to worry since I have a ps3, but I can imagine how you feel. I would hate having to get up just to change the disks multiple times throughout the game (not because I'm lazy, I would just find it tedious).

Calvarok
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
You said "CGI cinematics", which is incorrect. All the cinematics are in-game. And story length, soundtrack length, animations, all these things don't really impact the amount of space the game takes up. This game is designed for console first. There are plenty of bigger games which are one disk on console, like Skyrim.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
But Skyrim lacks alot of detail. So, that is really what helped them make it fit into one console disk.

Calvarok
08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
But Skyrim lacks alot of detail. So, that is really what helped them make it fit into one console disk.

Skyrim has far more detailed models and landscapes than AC3. I don't know what you're talking about. AC3 is better in it's population of NPcs, and animals, and the ability to traverse terrain in the vertical sense as well as the horizontal.

Seriously, games don't get to a certain threshold of size or detail and then they can't fit on a disk. With a well optimized engine and appropriate time spent on the game, it will fit. If a game is made for PC, and then hastily ported to console, it's obviously easier to have two disks.

People just don't seem to understand how the process works and that give me a headache.

De Filosoof
08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Fear?...wtf.

I would be happy if it's on 2 discs because that would confirm how big the game actually is.
Please, can somebody explain to me what the problem is with changing discs one time? Please...

De Filosoof
08-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Skyrim has far more detailed models and landscapes than AC3. I don't know what you're talking about. AC3 is better in it's population of NPcs, and animals, and the ability to traverse terrain in the vertical sense as well as the horizontal.

Seriously, games don't get to a certain threshold of size or detail and then they can't fit on a disk. With a well optimized engine and appropriate time spent on the game, it will fit. If a game is made for PC, and then hastily ported to console, it's obviously easier to have two disks.

People just don't seem to understand how the process works and that give me a headache.

Wut?! Skyrim isn't that beautiful if you ask me. Especially the physics, they're horrible.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
...Skyrim has detailed models, wait what?
It might be that I used to play it on PS3, and Bethesda sure hates PS3 users, but Skyrim in terms of visuals and models looked not that impressive.
And Filsoof, the problem is it's a open world game. So I guess it would be a headache if you go into a certain area, then change disks, have to leave the area, change disks, etc.

JCearlyyears
08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Skyrim has far more detailed models and landscapes than AC3. I don't know what you're talking about.

How would you know?

rileypoole1234
08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Who cares? It's not all that hard to get off your butt and switch a disk.

Saar Ben Kiki
08-02-2012, 11:42 PM

Im sorry, but skyrim was hella compressed and had lame 2005's graphics.... seriously i stood in a cave watched the icy walls and just facepalmed at the epic fail..
but skyrim had loads of content and could fit that small because of the highly compressed and awful graphics that gave it the option,
ac3 is sandbox, huge, and 2013 graphics if you ask me.
skyrim was prettily much filled with same type of things, unlike ac3, skyrim had loads of quest but this and the map were the only thing that was 'huge' while in ac3 everything is... skyrim's scope is just in missions and a big map made out of bad pixels
overall skyrim was good but since fallout NV i have bethesdaphobia(!)

TheFrontLine
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't see these fantastic graphics in ACIII videos that you guys see.

Met4lM4ster
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Don't forget all of the Desmond content, OP. Ubi has said that we will be seeing a lot more of Desmond than any past game. There's also the multiplayer. These will take up some considerable space as well. But I would be personally thrilled if the game was on two discs. That's instant confirmation that this will be a HUGE game.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't see these fantastic graphics in ACIII videos that you guys see.

Dont forget too put your resolution up + dont forget compression.

TheHumanTowel
08-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm completely uneducated when it comes to this so correct me if I'm wrong but is it a game's graphics that take up the most space? Just the two games I've played that have multiple discs (The Witcher 2 and L.A Noire) don't have a massive amount of content but have really high end graphics. If that is the case I'm not sure AC3 will have more than one disc. The graphics look great but not as detailed as to put that much of a stress on the system.

Calvarok
How would you know?

Um, because I played it?

If you look at the individual pieces of armor and stuff you can see incredible amounts of detail, even on the console version. Yes it has glitches and weird physics, but visually it looks fine.

Anyone trying to say that Skyrim wasn't beautiful is affected by fanboyism to the extreme.

Anyways, a game looking good and having a large amount of content doesn't mean that it's going to be on two disks. An engine that's ill-optimized to consoles and a game that's rushed means that. Anvilnext looks fine, but a lot of its power comes in dealing with the increased scale, not the actual graphics, even though those have been nicely improved as well.

And this game has been in development for 3 years.

It's not going to be on two disks, guys. Trust me. If it is, the second will be multiplayer. (And I would actually like that, it would make the idea of the multiplayer being an abstergo product more realistic.)

TheFrontLine

I mean past the high resolution and compression. You can see flat textures, low tessellation, block-y/flat foliage, etc. The facial features look improved, but barely.

rileypoole1234
08-02-2012, 11:57 PM

I'm pretty sure he means he thinks the graphics stink.

Calvarok
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
a big map made out of bad pixels
Wow, that's really technical talk, I should listen to you.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Um, because I played it?

If you look at the individual pieces of armor and stuff you can see incredible amounts of detail, even on the console version. Yes it has glitches and weird physics, but visually it looks fine.

Anyone trying to say that Skyrim wasn't beautiful is affected by fanboyism to the extreme.

Anyways, a game looking good and having a large amount of content doesn't mean that it's going to be on two disks. An engine that's ill-optimized to consoles and a game that's rushed means that. Anvilnext looks fine, but a lot of its power comes in dealing with the increased scale, not the actual graphics, even though those have been nicely improved as well.

And this game has been in development for 3 years.

It's not going to be on two disks, guys. Trust me. If it is, the second will be multiplayer. (And I would actually like that, it would make the idea of the multiplayer being an abstergo product more realistic.)

How the hell did you play it? O_o
From my eyes, Skyrim looked pretty bad. Lacked alot of detail, it just did not look right. It had so much content, but it suffered in the detail department. I can even notice some graphical problems in the armors and weapons, like the Nightingale for example, on the PS3. Or even the Daedric Mace. And the animations are...GAHH.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
It was so big that it was rough around the edges. yes. Notice that AC3 doesn't have that problem? Skyrim was 100s of hours of content. AC3 is about 27, from what I've heard.

How the heck is it going to take more than one disk if it doesn't even have the telltale signs of a stuffed game?

As to people saying the graphics are bad, the raw detail isn't the point. that's been incrementally improved (though It's obviously a step up from Revelations, a big one) but the animations, and the scale of environments, as well as the amount of people, which is absolutely insane.

When you're actually playing it it will become obvious how important those things are.

It's not as "good" as the frostbite engine because the frostbite engine isn't meant to handle environments with as much interaction, NPC population, variation, and scale as AC3's engine is.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM
27 story hours, Skyrim did not have hundred hour main storyline.
How do you know all of those stuff? do you work for Ubisoft? @____@
Detail does seem to have improved quite a bit, actually. Along with all the other awesome things.

Saar Ben Kiki
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Wow, that's really technical talk, I should listen to you.

HAHAHAHA was that cynical?

Josegtx13
08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
It seems I have a superior version of Skyrim then, if what you all are saying is true. I'm talking about the graphics, not the bugs.

Anyways, I really don't mind if it's 2 discs. Dead Space 2 was 2 discs and I didn't really mind switching discs, so switching AC3 discs won't affect me either.

De Filosoof
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM

That's actually a really good and nice idea. :)
Put a nice abstergo logo on the disk.
It would be a really clever way to get that extra room for the singleplayer on 1 disc.
But then again, they should make MP really big or it would be a waste of disc space.

Saar Ben Kiki
08-03-2012, 12:23 AM
That's actually a really good and nice idea. :)
Put a nice abstergo logo on the disk.
It would be a really clever way to get that extra room for the singleplayer on 1 disc.
But then again, they should make MP really big or it would be a waste of disc space.

my thought exactly, they need like 30 MP maps at least for that lmao

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 12:31 AM
27 story hours, Skyrim did not have hundred hour main storyline.
How do you know all of those stuff? do you work for Ubisoft? @____@
Detail does seem to have improved quite a bit, actually. Along with all the other awesome things.

I didn't say main storyline. And seriously, more than a hundred hours of side content cannot be brushed off.

I don't work for ubisoft, they've been telling us stuff about anvilnext since the game informer issue, and I've been simply listening.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 12:36 AM
But..you said that you played it...
27 hours of content all together?
That is kinda...weak.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I played Skyrim. And irregardless I don't need to have played either of these games to see what they look like and what their engines can do. And I was speaking about main story when I said 27 hours in AC3.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
You kinda...do. Because according to people who saw the game live, it looks much better when you see it infront of you, basically.
ACII was about 18 hours, so okay. Pretty big leap.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 01:04 AM
You kinda...do. Because according to people who saw the game live, it looks much better when you see it infront of you, basically.
ACII was about 18 hours, so okay. Pretty big leap.

That was YOUR time of completion. For others it took 20+ hours, which is my frame of reference for saying 27 hours. Because it was about 20% longer main story, right? So it's probably around 25-27 hours for the average player.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Just make it longer, I am happy.
I do have to say tho, remember the fire they showed in the 4th of July trailer?
That looked really, REALLY ugly. I hope they fix that.
I think the engine capabilities that are highlighted are more so..gameplay than graphics.
And IMO, this is the most realistic snow I saw in a game.

TheFrontLine
08-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Just make it longer, I am happy.
I do have to say tho, remember the fire they showed in the 4th of July trailer?
That looked really, REALLY ugly. I hope they fix that.
I think the engine capabilities that are highlighted are more so..gameplay than graphics.
And IMO, this is the most realistic snow I saw in a game.

Oh man, the snow.
They seem like boxes that form around Connor each time he moves. I feel it would've looked better if it was just a 'line' the width of Connor's body, without any random crevices protruding out in an attempt to portray realism, trailing behind him.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Compare it to other games snow, it does look better :nonchalance:
It may not be ultra realistic, but so far the best we have, I dont mind.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Compare it to other games snow, it does look better :nonchalance:
It may not be ultra realistic, but so far the best we have, I dont mind.

Seriously. I haven't seen many games that do snow physics in any way.

About the fire: they've always done a good job with fire, I think it was just the shot.

Chocoburger
08-03-2012, 03:19 AM
ive been very skeptic about this, and ac3 seems very next gen....
so lets sum up all the content ac3 has:

- frontier 150% brotherhood rome, new york and bostom each 75% of rome, naval free roam and linear philladelphia mission (confirmed in interview) maybe more
- 20% longer story than ac2
- thousands of npcs on each map
-amazing graphics
-all maps of all four seasons
-1000 animations just for connor alone
-cgi cinematics
-nice long soundtrack like acr (probably long, estimating due to lonre's quality and quantity)
-side missions, economy and clubs for hunting

combine this, and thats just everything we know of yet.... so would you think itd be two discs? i mean, the game's scope in EVERY aspect is huge i cant believe it would end up one disc for xbox.... im really skeptic and doubtful... whatcha think?
Only a small number of things you mentioned actually take up any significant space.

The game world's size - Yes.
The story - Not so much unless if you want to count the recording dialog then yes, but that's a different category.
Thousands of NPCs - Not really unless if they are all very different looking and not just color swapped clothing.
Amazing graphics - Possibly yes if they use uncompressed textures, which may be hard for them to do, so likely not.
Seasonal change - No.
Animations - No.
CGI - Yes, but there isn't much of it, right? So no.
Big soundtrack - Yes.
Side missions - No.

I'm completely uneducated when it comes to this so correct me if I'm wrong but is it a game's graphics that take up the most space? Just the two games I've played that have multiple discs (The Witcher 2 and L.A Noire) don't have a massive amount of content but have really high end graphics. If that is the case I'm not sure AC3 will have more than one disc. The graphics look great but not as detailed as to put that much of a stress on the system.
No, it's typically the audio and the CGI that takes up the most space on a disc. However there isn't much CGI in the AC series, it's usually in-game polygonal graphics.

It will be an extreme pain in the bum for Ubisoft to cram this game all onto 1 disc with the multiplayer, their best solution is to have the first 2/3rds of the story on disc 1 and the final 1/3 as well as the multiplayer on disc 2. Disc 1 would contain the majority of the game world (some places are locked out due to story reasons, so it does not need to be present on disc 1) then as you progress through the story, disc 2 would contain the entire game world and different cut-scenes and voice acting.

This way the entire game world is on a single disc and less voice acting and cut-scenes will be present (since it's only 1/3 of the story left as opposed to the previous 2/3s of cut scenes and voice acting required on disc 1). If anyone is actually ridiculousness enough to expect Ubisoft having us change discs to enter new areas, then change discs again to enter previous eras, please stop posting immediately.

The other solution would be to separate online and story onto different discs which would be kind of annoying, but I can deal with it I suppose.

HaSoOoN-MHD
08-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Or maybe they compress it into 1 disk and everybody is happy.
And you never know what Ubi would do....
I guess separating multiplayer and single player as people said, is the best choice. Tho it would feel cheap that that disk would feel..empty.
Nah, I think they will pull through.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 03:36 AM
About the CGI thing: They've only ever used CGI for:
- One trailer per game
- The Desmond bits at the beginning and end of Revelations.

During cutscenes they use up-scaled in-game graphics: within the confines of a cutscene you can make the game look a lot better than during normal gameplay.

And the tech nessecary to handle 2000 npcs on the screen at once is part of the engine, and shouldn't really take up much space.

Lonesoldier2012
08-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Cause it's so difficult to hit a button and move a disc.

Calvarok
08-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Cause it's so difficult to hit a button and move a disc.

Press a button, swap a disk, wait for it to boot up, go to the menu screen, load into your file, then realize you needed to do something on the other disk, swap disks, wait for it to boot up...

Can you see the annoyance factor here?

I'm sure it won't be two disks. People have a bad understanding of what actually needs two disks.

Lonesoldier2012
08-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Press a button, swap a disk, wait for it to boot up, go to the menu screen, load into your file, then realize you needed to do something on the other disk, swap disks, wait for it to boot up...

I'm sure it won't be two disks. People have a bad understanding of what actually needs two disks.The games i've played with 2 discs you just reach a certain point and you insert the next disc and it loads without going through the menus.

morpheusPrime08
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM

I'm sure it won't be two disks. People have a bad understanding of what actually needs two disks.

........................What have you been smoking *cough* playing? Usually you just swap the disc to continue, and hopefully It's one disc for campaign, second for multiplayer.

Even if it's not

Play campaign for 3 hours straight find an important misson " Connor we have to go to blah blah blah to stop blah, Desmond whats that blah blah" * dont press a button just swap disc, wait 3 seconds* cutscene starts..... play for another 3 hours.

" were going back Connor/Desmond"......... *get fat *** up rinse repeat* -___-.

Slayer_WTF
08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Data compression, this unknown..

I do not think games like Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption and Just Cause 2 is on 2 discs.

Locopells
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
And this is why I play on PC...

Seriously though, we ain't gonna know untill a LOT closer to release, so why worry?

Mr_Shade
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I mean past the high resolution and compression. You can see flat textures, low tessellation, block-y/flat foliage, etc. The facial features look improved, but barely.

Consoles don't really have Tessellation - that's a feature that may well be in the DX11 features for the PC version ;)

I don't know any console game which uses it?

Flat textures etc - seeing the game in real life, is a better way to judge the game - since Youtube encoding has a habit of doing great injustice to textures..

WolfTemplar94
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I doubt it will be two disks. Data compression gets better every year, I'm sure it will fit fine.

pacmanate
08-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Who cares? It's not all that hard to get off your butt and switch a disk.

It's not. But what if Boston is on one disc, and the Frontier on another and you are in story missions. It means swapping the disc to go to frontier, then swapping back to go to Boston. It would be ridiculous.

Mr_Shade
08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
IF the game is on multiple discs, the developers would plan the data allocation a little better than that - I would guess..

This is not their first game, so I would give them some credit in understanding how to work it..

That's assuming it is a multiple disc game.. which at present has not been said at any point..

I know people like to worry - and seem to have a habit of finding issues before they are even issues - but I am trying to find out if there is any truth in it.. it's news to me if there is a 2 disc game ;)

Chocoburger
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
About the CGI thing: They've only ever used CGI for:
- One trailer per game
- The Desmond bits at the beginning and end of Revelations.

During cutscenes they use up-scaled in-game graphics: within the confines of a cutscene you can make the game look a lot better than during normal gameplay.

And the tech nessecary to handle 2000 npcs on the screen at once is part of the engine, and shouldn't really take up much space.
Apple of Eden cut-scene was CGI in AC II, right? I'm trying to think of more use of CGI...

It's not. But what if Boston is on one disc, and the Frontier on another and you are in story missions. It means swapping the disc to go to frontier, then swapping back to go to Boston. It would be ridiculous.
That won't happen. Has any game in history ever forced you to do that?

Think of Final Fantasy 7 (3 discs) Final Fantasy 8 (4 discs) and Final Fantasy 9 (4 discs I think), a disc swap happens ONE time per disc through the story mode. The next disc has the entire contents of the game world, but different story cut-scenes and events that previously took up space on prior discs that are no longer needed in the next disc to play.

TheFrontLine
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Consoles don't really have Tessellation - that's a feature that may well be in the DX11 features for the PC version ;)

I don't know any console game which uses it?

Flat textures etc - seeing the game in real life, is a better way to judge the game - since Youtube encoding has a habit of doing great injustice to textures..
That is my point, these aren't really "next-gen graphics" as some have put it.

corbinmahieu
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
The only thing I'm disappointed at in AC3 graphics are.... the leaves of the trees. --> You should check it...
But I know that's a very hard thing to make in games. But the leaves in AC3 just like so.... eeuh? fake... flat ... made out of one flat sheet of paper

TheFrontLine
08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Leaves are flat in real life, too.

corbinmahieu
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM
TU-TUM-TSS...
No , you know what I mean.
Not a ''bush of leaves''....
just look at some gameplay in the woods/ frontier....
I just like it when leaves and trees have some ''volume / capacity''... and not be made of origami sheets.
----> just like the hiding bushes ...

RatonhnhakeFan
08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
linear philladelphia mission (confirmed in interview)Where was this confirmed? I thought Philadelphia section would be just a cutscene, non-playable

pacmanate
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Apple of Eden cut-scene was CGI in AC II, right? I'm trying to think of more use of CGI...

That won't happen. Has any game in history ever forced you to do that?

Think of Final Fantasy 7 (3 discs) Final Fantasy 8 (4 discs) and Final Fantasy 9 (4 discs I think), a disc swap happens ONE time per disc through the story mode. The next disc has the entire contents of the game world, but different story cut-scenes and events that previously took up space on prior discs that are no longer needed in the next disc to play.

Didn't know that cause I hate FF, but thanks!

Will_Lucky
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Unknown little fact, but the Xbox 360 ATI Xenos GPU like the other 2xxx series cards does have a Tessellation unit. But it was never utilized on the console or extensively on the PC and didn't really come into its own until DX11 and graphics cards with stronger hardware. The 360 is actually capable of Tessellation due to the design of the GPU, I don't know if the PS3 equivilent is but either way its never really been used.

Back onto topic, they haven't announced if it will be one or more discs and either way I don't mind. I have to get up and change the disc or perhaps they put the multiplayer on the other disc instead for example I'm fine with it so long as I get the same experience as the PS3 or the PC. Granted though I am thinking of trying to get it on the PS3 this time around.