PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying IL2 ( is it better then EAW ) ?

jg1234
01-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi Folks,

The only flight sims that I have played in the last 2 years have been EAW and CFS2.

I like mission variety and attacking ground objects as well as dogfights.

Can you folks tell me if IL2 ,the original and Forgotten Battles is a lot different then EAW and if so in what respects. Also - I have a PIII 2.5, 512 MB, sound card and 32 MB ATI 128 Ultra Video Card. Will that handle the IL2 series ??

Thanks in advance - jg1234

jg1234
01-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi Folks,

The only flight sims that I have played in the last 2 years have been EAW and CFS2.

Can you folks tell me if IL2 ,the original and Forgotten Battles is a lot different then EAW and if so in what respects. Also - I have a PIII 2.5, 512 MB, sound card and 32 MB ATI 128 Ultra Video Card. Will that handle the IL2 series ??

Thanks in advance - jg1234

GoodKn1ght
01-12-2004, 05:45 PM
fb is only 20 bucks, might as well buy it. if you dont like it you can just use the cds as frisbees to throw to your dog and youd still get ur moneys worth.

Zeus-cat
01-12-2004, 05:49 PM
I have never played EAW or CFS2, but the comments on this site are that IL-2 and FB are far superior. I recommend FB as it has many more planes than IL-2. Both are standalone products so either one works. They are excellent games.

I'm not an expert, but your video card is on the low end. Try downloading the demo from this site to see if it works.

Zeus-cat

Captain_Avatar
01-12-2004, 05:58 PM
I played EAW a lot back in '99 and 2000. A good game overall but limited in scope. IL2:FB is a lot more advanced in graphics, sound, AI, aircraft modelling, etc... Get it, you won't regret it. Have played WW2 sims since 1989 I can say I have learned a little bit more of history about the eastern front since I'ved had the game.

XyZspineZyX
01-12-2004, 06:34 PM
If you liked EAW you're gonna love IL-2!
It's everything EAW wanted to be and then some. I played EAW for 3 years until I got IL-2 Sturmovik/Forgotten Battles. I even tried CFS2 but found myself going back to EAW. Now FB is the only flight sim on my computer!
And at the current price.....you can't afford not to buy it.

My 2 kopecks worth.

http://www.il2airracing.com/images/IL2AirRacing.gif
http://www.il2airracing.com/

tsisqua
01-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Is the pope Polish? Does a bear crap in the woods? Or better yet, if a man is alone in the woods, and says something, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

IL2, and IL2/FB are well worth your effort. Unfortunately, your life will never be the same.

See you in the skies, and welcome to the forum.

Tsisqua

http://www.uploadit.org/files/010903-nedChristie.jpg
Tsalagi Asgaya Equa

EPP-Gibbs
01-12-2004, 06:45 PM
By general consensus IL2 was the best WW2 flight Sim ever produced. It's now been surpassed...by IL2-FB. Buy it and find out what all the fuss is about.

If I had all the money I'd spent on drink..I'd spend it on drink!

Capt_Kernel
01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
It's hard to beleive FB is selling so cheap. You'll never find a more in-depth simulation like this for that price. WOW! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GoodKn1ght:
fb is only 20 bucks, might as well buy it. if you dont like it you can just use the cds as frisbees to throw to your dog and youd still get ur moneys worth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/jsmuz/timetogotowork2.jpg

VW-IceFire
01-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Wait a month and buy the Forgotten Battles Gold Edition with Forgotten Battles and the official expansion pack with lots of new stuff (no details yet).

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/spit-sig.jpg

carguy_
01-12-2004, 11:09 PM
This game is the best.Go buy it.You won`t be sorry.

Although your vid card is a bit low.

http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

BattleAxe-1
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
If you like limited, very limited plane sets, even though it has a Me110 you can fly, EAW is it.

If you like having to download many patches to make it look good. EAW is it.

If you like to make arrangements to fly online instead of when you feel like it, EAW is it.

If deciding which of the many FM/DM and gunnery patches to use, and making sure it is the same as everyone elses, is fun, EAW is it.

If you like hitting your target with no apparent effect instead of blowing pieces off or actually putting holes in the target, EAW is it.

In other words, FB is worth it. And the price is icing on the cake.

US_8th_Dosiere
01-13-2004, 01:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jg1234:

*Forgotten Battles has you covered here. There are dozens and dozens of planes to be flown, and as many ground objects to blow up. The terrain detail is second to none, much better than any ww2 sim I have seen to date. Add to that great looking ground objects (tanks, trucks, etc..) and FB is a ground pounders wet dream.

Dogfighting is just as good. The AI, flight models and damage models are far above EAW in their quality and offer some really great ww2 combat.

*You should be ok. Your video card is wee bit slow for FB, so you're almost certainly going to have to turn down to graphics detail.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troll2k
01-13-2004, 01:58 AM
I assume he meant a p4 because a PIII is not going to be enough.And yes at least a 64 meg agp card.

trumper
01-13-2004, 04:09 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I lent a friend of mine the original IL2 and he plays EAW,i spoke to him and a day after he got my il2 he gave up because he kept stalling.I used to play EAW and i put it back on my harddrive and patched because my friend was adamant about how good it was,well needless to say after 2 days on my hard drive i uninstalled EAW ,no comparison.
In my friends words and possible defence, he just wants to go home and fly and the planes in il2 [which means you keep learning]he just could'nt do that.
Buy F/B ,be patient and you will enjoy it in a couple of months more than you will enjoy EAW.

MiloMorai
01-13-2004, 04:39 AM
Well, those who are crapping on EAW should read the SimHQ EAW forum. EAW is much improved over the original with the community mods.

It should be noted that Oleg used some of EAW as a basis when he designed Il-2.

SUPERAEREO
01-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Buy it, you will not regret it.

Best graphics, flight models and overall realism of any combat flight simulation, I'm told.

PS: it CAN be played with a PIII, I do.

bazzaah2
01-13-2004, 06:24 AM
yeah go on buy it.

A great game.

Just don't blame us when you've spent 700 updating your system, lol!

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_05.gif

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman

SUPERAEREO
01-13-2004, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bazzaah2:
Just don't blame us when you've spent 700 updating your system, lol!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this says a lot about just how ADDICTIVE the game can be... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

No, I think that at most you may want a better video card at some stage, and remember to make sure your drivers are up to date.

Good luck and enjoy.

wayno7777
01-13-2004, 09:16 AM
I have more flight sims than I can count. I liked EAW the best. That was before I got the demo for IL-2. It was like night and day. So I bought the full version and updated it. I really didn't play it too much until FB came out. Fb is the first game I think I've ever paid close to full price for. It's worth every cent and more. I still play Desert Air War, (a mod from the net), but I almost exclusivly play FB 1.2. With a BOB add-on there will be no reason to play any others. The visuals in Fb is like going from EAW to Falcon4. In fact FB outshines Falcon4 by a long shot! I use that reference because I used the F4 graphics patch for EAW and that enhanched EAW, but not like FB.

D:\Screenshots\Lucky o.jpg,D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Aircraft pics\Not My Turn 1.jpg

Old_Canuck
01-13-2004, 11:44 AM
CFS2 was a great combat sim for its time but IL2 is setting the standards now. I've purchased 7 copies of the original IL2 and FB and no regrets. It's not easy to learn but it's worth the effort when you start to feel competent.

No I don't have 7 computers.

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

horseback
01-13-2004, 12:46 PM
I'd recommend the original IL-2 Sturmovik with your rig. Forgotten Battles is a bit too demanding of the 32Mb video card. However, the step from CFS2 to Il-2 is still a big step up.

On the plus side, landing the Bf-109 will be a lot easier if you were able to land the Wildcat on the carrier consistantly.

Cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

CoyotePrime
01-13-2004, 05:41 PM
I had a lot of fun playing EAW back in the day. I upgraded the graphics and sound a couple of years ago from the community's third-party add-ons. Those helped bring the game closer to up-to-date.

I tried playing CFS 2 (What? No Torpedo bombers?!?!?), and CFS 3, but I wasn't too thrilled by them. I picked up IL2 after reading several previews and a couple of reviews. The first time I flew near some enemy ships and heard the roar of multiple AA batteries opening up on me, I thought I'd flown into the set of Saving Private Ryan. It was amazing.

Right now, I'm thrilled by the depth of IL2:FB. The detail of the flight modeling (not to mention the graphics) for each of the ... HOW many aircraft?... is amazing. The variety of aircraft is likewise pretty staggering - but it makes for GREAT on-line "wars." Online play has been a total breeze for me... it's a piece of cake to jump in, get flying... and get shot down. Though I'm working on that last part. I can almost always find several servers with minimal lag, and often with 20+ players at a time.

As with any new flight sim, the controls and "feel" of the sim take some getting used to. Learning how to just take off the runway without getting torqued into a ditch in a P-47 takes some doing. I still haven't mastered the mission builder, and I'm only a few missions into my first campaign.

It really is the best WWII-era flightsim ever to come out on the PC, by almost any appreciable standard. It's about the best flight sim I've ever played... it's right up there with (the m***ively patched version of) Falcon 4.0 for me.

zoomar2
01-13-2004, 07:33 PM
When it was released EAW was probably the best WW2 flight sim available. Graphics were not quite up to the level of WW2 Fighters, but it was far better than CFS1 and somewhat better than CFS2. If you like immersive single-player campaigns, it is still probably the best. However, once you've seen Il2/FB you'll never go back to anything else. The graphics are simply superb, and there is no simulator with the variety of planes to fly, with very detailed/specific flight/damage modelling. If you like ground attack missions, there is nothing that equals Il2/FBAlso, once you get the hang of it, the Full Mission Builder is very powerful and allows you to build realistic missions for virtually any theatre in the ETO, and now with a few Japanese planes, the Pacific as well. It is also very will supported with 3rd party skins, missions, and utilities. My only real gripe is the removal of German and Finnish swastikas - to enable authentic markings you'll have to download a 3rd party utility. Looking at your rig, I might consider upgrading the graphics card to at least a 64 meg GeForce or better. Buy it, you'll like it!