PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III: The problem with Desmond - Have the developers Lost the plot?

Slayer_WTF
07-31-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/assassins_creed_iii/features/article/assassins_creed_iii_the_problem_with_desmond.html

pacmanate
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
CBA to read all that but I found the top comment funny

"I'm also the only journalist I know who can type the name 'Ezio Auditore de Firenze' without having to look up the spelling for his name on Google"

"You misspelled Ezio Auditore Da Firenze."

TheHumanTowel
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't understand this guy's concern. The modern day storyline is so much more than just a framing device. It's the driving force of the entire series narrative. The events in the past don't mean anything without the context of the modern day and the relevence we know they have to Team Animus. Corey May said in an interview they've had the general outline of the series narrative planned since the very beginning. I have no reason to doubt them.

Assassin_M
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
That Article was posted originally on "WhatCulture" so not only is this guy an idiot, but he`s also an obvious Idiot (Yes, I know)

SixKeys
07-31-2012, 09:57 PM

"I'm also the only journalist I know who can type the name 'Ezio Auditore de Firenze' without having to look up the spelling for his name on Google"

LOL. :D

It sounds like the author thinks that once Desmond's story ends, that'll be the end of all the convoluted Animus and TWCB stuff. But that's the real basis of the entire series, there's no way they'll get rid of all the mystical stuff after Desmond's gone. Without all the mysteries and conspiracies, what would be the point behind the assassins vs. Templars war?

The only reason Desmond's story got more complicated is simply because Ubisoft wanted to stretch out the series. Without Desmond to worry about, they could have made ACB and just named it "Ezio's Adventures, part 2" but Desmond's story was keeping them anchored to the present day storyline, so they had to do something with him that would justify the need for an in-between game like ACB. Then they decided to make ACR and once again couldn't think of anything for Desmond to do, so they put him in a coma and reduced him to a faceless, bodiless entity in some fairly pointless platforming missions. Desmond may be crucial to the basis of the franchise, but he also serves as extra baggage for the devs.

The author claims the creators might not have had an ending in mind when Desmond was first created. I don't see why this should have to be the case. If you only played the numbered entries in the AC series (AC1 > AC2 > AC3), the only crucial things you'd be lost about was why Lucy's suddenly missing and why Desmond has the Apple. Everything else could be explained with a simple time gap saying the gang managed to escape at the end of AC2, went into hiding for a while and later rejoined with William and the others, presumably where AC3 will begin. I don't think the devs have lost the plot, they were just forced by the higher-ups to write some extra loops into the story in order to stretch it.

Requiscent
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
^My sentiments exactly, and hopefully AC III will finally make Desmond achieve his goal, since they've hyped it up for about 4 games already. ACR in itself was a wasted opportunity when it came to Desmond.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
The problem is those games were stretched, they just ran out of ideas in the end at AC:R
If they just did AC:B....

YRTEP
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't understand this guy's concern. The modern day storyline is so much more than just a framing device. It's the driving force of the entire series narrative. The events in the past don't mean anything without the context of the modern day and the relevence we know they have to Team Animus. Corey May said in an interview they've had the general outline of the series narrative planned since the very beginning. I have no reason to doubt them.
Agreed.

I think we have to wait for AC3. It ends the Desmond plot, so we will find out if the devs did a good job.
I'm personally really interested in how they are going to continue/finish Desmond's story (like in every AC game before).

ROFL :D