PDA

View Full Version : Switching from PS3 to Xbox 360

AssassinVenice
07-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Hello Dear Forum Members,

I have been thinking a lot about a problem of mine, which I'll be explaining in the next paragraphs:
Nowadays (July 31st 2012) I own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. It wasn't like that until a certain day. In the summer of 2010, I got my first console ever, the PS3. I was very happy about the performance and I couldn't have asked for more. As time passed, I began getting more and more games, stumbling upon Assassin's Creed Brotherhood the Christmas of that same year. I was generally happy about the game as a whole. Around April 2011, I got Assassin's Creed 2. The moment I started playing it, I noticed the much, much smoother framerates and the choppiness from Brotherhood wasn't present. Christmas that same year, I got Assassin's Creed Revelations. The graphics were improved drastically, but the choppiness from Brotherhood was still there. Finally, that same day, I played the original Assassin's Creed which was on the same BluRay disc. I can only say that it wasn't even worth my time playing such a disastrous, choppy, and ugly looking game. It was awful! In February 2012, I finally purchased an Xbox 360. It was about the same as the PS3, with quite a wide selection of games.
Today, I decided to replay some of the Assassin's Creed games and I must tell you, they all ran terribly! I did some research on the issue, watched videos, read articles, but nothing had the answer. I despaired but I came across some H2H and I noticed that the Xbox 360 had somewhat of a better framerate and the videos showed me that they actually run really smoothly!
The idea I came up with was to switch from my current base console for the Assassin's Creed franchise (PS3) and move to the Xbox 360. Keep in mind that I Completed all of them to 100%, with the exception of the original Assassin's Creed.

Please, give me some advice on this. I will really appreciate any opinions of yours.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I own a PS3, and never really noticed choppiness...
The frame rate can drop at times, tho. And just saying: AC1 is from 2007, what did you expect?
Honestly stick too the PS3, if you can deal with it, we PS3 players always get extra bonuses in AC.

Aphex_Tim
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
I can only say that it wasn't even worth my time playing such a disastrous, choppy, and ugly looking game. It was awful!

Shame. The game's story is more than worth it.

AssassinVenice
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
I own a PS3, and never really noticed choppiness...
The frame rate can drop at times, tho. And just saying: AC1 is from 2007, what did you expect?
Honestly stick too the PS3, if you can deal with it, we PS3 players always get extra bonuses in AC.

I wouldn't be making this post if I could deal with it. Also I feel like I'm missing out on the experience.

AssassinVenice
07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Shame. The game's story is more than worth it.

I meant the original Assassin's Creed but the PS3 version was the one I described as such.

Locopells
07-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Try using a high end PC, with controller if that's what you're used to. I am, (minus the controller) and they all run perfectly. Plus they can be upgraded, and with the next-gen consoles around the corner...

Aphex_Tim
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I meant the original Assassin's Creed but the PS3 version was the one I described as such.

I know, i was talking about the original AC.
Which imo isn't awful looking and choppy at all...

xXMrGR1NCHXx
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I own a 360, and I have no idea what your talking about saying they ran horribly. These games (including AC1, which had outstanding graphics for an older game) have beautiful graphics and run perfectly fine, I've never had choppiness problems on a 360.

AssassinVenice
07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I own a 360, and I have no idea what your talking about saying they ran horribly. These games (including AC1, which had outstanding graphics for an older game) have beautiful graphics and run perfectly fine, I've never had choppiness problems on a 360.

I've been talking about the PS3 versions, not the 360 ones...
I'M ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TO THE 360! o.O

AssassinVenice
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I know, i was talking about the original AC.
Which imo isn't awful looking and choppy at all...

It's pretty choppy and ugly looking on the PS3. I've played it on PC and I know how it's supposed to run and look.

Requiscent
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Speaking from experience, I've never really had any problems graphically with the series on the 360. I also find the controls to be great on the 360 as well.

tarrero
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
My brother owns a 360 and I own a PS3. Generally, games released on both consoles look almost the same, however, it is true that Xbox is a little bit better regarding AC1....

PD: A high end PC beats both, so if you can, go for it. The only console games that even come close are the Uncharted ones....

Moultonborough
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
I own a PS3 and always have since it came out. I have had only two issues with AC both of them fix itself after a moment. AC 2 I have never had any type of issues at all. AC:B just the occasional frame rate issue if I'm on a horse and going as fast as I could. AC:R again no issues at all.

Assassin_M
07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
In terms of Consoles, The AC series does a good job in keeping both versions relatively the same in terms of performance and visuals, but seeing as you are the kind of guy who wants the best in each department then I suggest, like the others, a high-end PC. It`ll bring out the best from every game, since the PC is known to beat both the 360 and PS3.

SleezeRocker
07-31-2012, 04:45 PM
I still think AC2 is the one that looks meh of all of em but that's just me.

My cousin down the street has an xbox and has all the Ac games (as I for PS3) and honestly I see no issues whatsoever on my ps3. I don't think anything wrong on the xbox games, he don't think nothing is bad on ps3. So I don't about the 'chopiness' and probs on PS3 AC games so I can't really help you there.

I will respect that if you rather play xbox, fine by me, im a gamer, I play on whatever I can (though not PC since to me it's like playing with Arthritis but hey, I respect PC gaming)
but my honest opinion, I would say just continue playing them (AC) on PS3 and buy the exclusive titles for your xbox. I know it's what I'd do if I had one, but whatever you like!

BATISTABUS
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I feel that the 360 controller is better suited for the Assassin's "claw". If you say that the frame rate is better, then definitely switch over. Still, if you care about a few bonuses, you might want to think about it a bit more.

LadyGahan2010
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I used to play PC games but I switched to a console and I have never looked back. Graphics in 1080 do not interest me.
I own ps3, for about 3 years now. I use it everyday, either games or bluray or dvds. The only issues I have started fairly recently and they are caused by mechanical problems: without going into detail some of my game discs get dirty from lubrication on the spinner. That causes choppiness or game freezing. Since I did teh research, I know it's not ps3 as a console problem but mechanical stuff that should be fixed. I can only blame myself on not taking proper care of my console by cleaning it often and not overheating.
Having said that, you could look into any technical problems with your console before buying games for the other. Perhaps fixing ps3 is going to be cheaper than all the new copies of games you own already.

Lonesoldier2012
07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Get an Xbox 360 Refurb for like 150. Much better system IMO.

pacmanate
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Okay so I have both systems too and I have AC1,2 and Brotherhood on my PS3, and Revelations on my Xbox. I will soon have AC3 on the Xbox too.

AC1 is choppy but the game was ahead of its time for next gen I think. It is choppy on PS3 but what the heck! AC2 was much smoother, Brotherhood was choppy due to a new team doing the spin off and having a LOT of space with no loading times. It was basically 3 cities in one. Revelations was much better. Now that I have started writing this I don't know where this is going. BUT! AC games have gotten better ports to the PS3 since AC2. I would say stick to PS3. Me personally, am buying AC3 on both systems, mainly due to Online for PS3 with mates and the 60 mins+ DLC the PS3 gets. I only bought Revelations on the Xbox because it was my first Xbox game haha.

Chocoburger
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I understand where you're coming from. I had pre-ordered AC 1 for PS3 (I did not own a 360 at the time), and when IGN reported that the framerate was significantly worse on PS3 I cancelled my pre-order. About 1.5 months after AC 1 came out, I finally bought an Xbox 360, and I finally bought AC 1 for 360, and the framerate was much better than what people described for the PS3 version.

The problem is that it was initially difficult to program for PS3, most especially for Ubisoft, since they have always been pro-Microsoft for a very long time. However times change and as the series went on they have been drastically improved, at this point the graphical difference between the two versions is very minimal, or perhaps non-existent.

So your question is, do you want to continue on the PS3 or switch to 360 for AC III? Since I started on 360, I will finish on 360, even though I am jealous that the PS3 versions of Brohood, Rev and III will all receive extra content that PC or 360 players will never get. This is unfortunate, but I can live without it.

I actually double-dip when it comes to the AC series. I buy them for 360 at launch, then I re-buy them on Steam when they hit a big sale. In the future I will re-play the series in perfect 1080p at 60 FPS, which will make it feel like a far superior game than the console versions.

Also, if you don't plan on pre-ordering AC III, wait a week after it's been released then go to Lens of Truth website, and they will break down the graphical differences, from resolution to texture mapping to environmental detail to framerate.

AssassinVenice
08-01-2012, 02:03 AM
I understand where you're coming from. I had pre-ordered AC 1 for PS3 (I did not own a 360 at the time), and when IGN reported that the framerate was significantly worse on PS3 I cancelled my pre-order. About 1.5 months after AC 1 came out, I finally bought an Xbox 360, and I finally bought AC 1 for 360, and the framerate was much better than what people described for the PS3 version.

The problem is that it was initially difficult to program for PS3, most especially for Ubisoft, since they have always been pro-Microsoft for a very long time. However times change and as the series went on they have been drastically improved, at this point the graphical difference between the two versions is very minimal, or perhaps non-existent.

So your question is, do you want to continue on the PS3 or switch to 360 for AC III? Since I started on 360, I will finish on 360, even though I am jealous that the PS3 versions of Brohood, Rev and III will all receive extra content that PC or 360 players will never get. This is unfortunate, but I can live without it.

I actually double-dip when it comes to the AC series. I buy them for 360 at launch, then I re-buy them on Steam when they hit a big sale. In the future I will re-play the series in perfect 1080p at 60 FPS, which will make it feel like a far superior game than the console versions.

Also, if you don't plan on pre-ordering AC III, wait a week after it's been released then go to Lens of Truth website, and they will break down the graphical differences, from resolution to texture mapping to environmental detail to framerate.

To be quite honest, I'd love to continue the series on the PS3 but I feel like I've been missing out on the extra sharpness from the 360's 1080p upscaler. Also, the PS3 versions of all the Assassin's Creed games have missing graphical effects.

Problem is that if I'm going to make that switch, I would want to re purchase all of the games in the series for the Xbox 360.
Oh well, I'll wait for the ACIII H2H on Lens of Truth or Digital Foundry and then I'll make my decision.

Thank you so much for all your comments.
You've helped me a lot.

MetalCreed
08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
PS3 will have exclusive DLC.

Calvarok
08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
When playing a 2007 game, you should probably temper your expectations for quality. Assassin's Creed 1's choppiness did annoy me on xbox 360, a bit, but it wasn't game-breaking for me. I guess it was that much better. AC has always been better optimized for Xbox, but I think that gap has gotten better since AC2.

Chocoburger
08-01-2012, 07:11 AM
To be quite honest, I'd love to continue the series on the PS3 but I feel like I've been missing out on the extra sharpness from the 360's 1080p upscaler. Also, the PS3 versions of all the Assassin's Creed games have missing graphical effects.

Problem is that if I'm going to make that switch, I would want to re purchase all of the games in the series for the Xbox 360.
Oh well, I'll wait for the ACIII H2H on Lens of Truth or Digital Foundry and then I'll make my decision.

Thank you so much for all your comments.
You've helped me a lot.
So I assume you're gaming on a 1080p screen? In that case here's what I've learned. Yes the PS3 does not have an upscaler and yes the Xbox 360 does. However, so does your TV. And if you have a decent TV set within the past few years, the TV's built-in upscaler will be far superior to the cheapie out-dated upscaler inside the Xbox 360 console. So if there is a graphical difference between the versions, the upscaler (or lack of one) should not be the issue.

PS3 lacking an upscaler was a problem in the past for some old HDTVs that did not have 720p support (only 480i, 480p and 1080i). Because the TV did not have the proper upscaler and neither did the PS3, this was indeed an issue for a very small number of people. But assuming you're on a semi-modern 1080p TV, you should not have to worry about upscaling.

AssassinVenice
08-01-2012, 11:44 PM
So I assume you're gaming on a 1080p screen? In that case here's what I've learned. Yes the PS3 does not have an upscaler and yes the Xbox 360 does. However, so does your TV. And if you have a decent TV set within the past few years, the TV's built-in upscaler will be far superior to the cheapie out-dated upscaler inside the Xbox 360 console. So if there is a graphical difference between the versions, the upscaler (or lack of one) should not be the issue.

PS3 lacking an upscaler was a problem in the past for some old HDTVs that did not have 720p support (only 480i, 480p and 1080i). Because the TV did not have the proper upscaler and neither did the PS3, this was indeed an issue for a very small number of people. But assuming you're on a semi-modern 1080p TV, you should not have to worry about upscaling.

The PS3 games look terrible on both of my TV's. Oe is a 1080p 24" LCD and the other is a 42" LED, also 1080p. I had a 42" Plasma, 720p, and the image quality was superb on the PS3. It broke, unfortunately.
What I've learned is that for PS3, you'd better have a Native 720p screen than a native 1080p screen. Less upscaling to be done.
Do you know any 1080p, 24" TVs that do a very good job upscaling 720p to 1080p?

Chocoburger
08-02-2012, 06:52 AM
The PS3 games look terrible on both of my TV's. Oe is a 1080p 24" LCD and the other is a 42" LED, also 1080p. I had a 42" Plasma, 720p, and the image quality was superb on the PS3. It broke, unfortunately.
What I've learned is that for PS3, you'd better have a Native 720p screen than a native 1080p screen. Less upscaling to be done.
Do you know any 1080p, 24" TVs that do a very good job upscaling 720p to 1080p?

Sorry, I'm not a super techie, I can't help with that. All I know is I play my PS3 on a 65 inch Panasonic Plasma, 2011 model and the games look fantastic being upscaled by the HDTV itself. I don't see Xbox 360 games look any better at all.

If you want proper information on this, you should make a thread on the AVS Forums, they are the super techies that know everything about everything.

AssassinVenice
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey guys. Sorry for putting this up again but I've changed my mind! I'm gonna stay with the PS3 versions. Just got a new Philips TV and it looks even worse. It's 720p, 32" and it has like this extreme sharpening mode and there's no option to disable overscan! Gonna try a Panasonic or a Sharp TV soon.

P.S. - I hope Ubisoft patches AC1 on the PS3 to support trophies. Also, a performance fix/ blur removal would be awesome.We'll probably never see that since Ubisoft is lazier than my cat!

pacmanate
08-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Let me simplify all of this.

Multiplatform games will only ever be a tie at 360 and PS3 winning, or Xbox wins. PS3 will hardly ever win multi plats

xChupa
08-17-2012, 05:37 AM
I played AC: Revelations on PS3 and I have no issues at all.
I also played all previous ACs on x360, so I'd know if I was having performance issues.

I made the switch form Xbox 360 to PS3 last year and I'm so glad I did.
I always see people dissing the PS3, saying it's online play is inferior, it's services are worse, it's multiplats are worse, etc. I have had literally NONE of those problems.

Also I believe the PS3 version of AC3 is getting exclusive DLC if that is of any importance to you.

AssassinVenice
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I played AC: Revelations on PS3 and I have no issues at all.
I also played all previous ACs on x360, so I'd know if I was having performance issues.

I made the switch form Xbox 360 to PS3 last year and I'm so glad I did.
I always see people dissing the PS3, saying it's online play is inferior, it's services are worse, it's multiplats are worse, etc. I have had literally NONE of those problems.

Also I believe the PS3 version of AC3 is getting exclusive DLC if that is of any importance to you.

Yeah, I'm aware of the exclusive DLC for the PS3. As for the rest, it just hurts to see ACB (my favourite AC game yet) suffer on the PS3 with a blurrier look, noticeable stuttering and framerate issues and many missing effects like volumetric effects (godrays, for example.) We got the Copernicus exclusive missions but I'd rather have nicer graphics than more content.
Anyways, I'm getting a new TV soon, hopefully it'll solve the issue for me.