PDA

View Full Version : The Creed and it's relation to Connor

Altair661
07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
We all know the Creed by now. That according to Altair, it can never be killed, because it's not only something the Assassin's follow, but an idea. Now I'm extremely curious to see how Connor joins and get's involved with the Assassin's. Obviously his village is burned down by templars, but for Ezio, he always knew about the legacy left by Altair and about the past of the cult/organization. So I'm wondering how the Assassin's will start in the newly made USA, or if Connor will be the first.

In AC1, the creed was always apparent. Hell, Altair was nearly killed and was stripped of everything (even his countering abilities!) because he pretty much betrayed all 3 in mission. But in AC2 (I could be wrong) I don't think the creed was ever said to Ezio. Even when he would initiate new recruits to the Assassin rank, he would simply say "We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassin's" and says the traditional "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted". I feel like the creed has sort of been lost in the past couple games. (The game is called Assassin's Creed!!!)

I just wonder if Connor will learn of the past Assassin's what they've done, and of the creed. Or is it even relevant at this point, have the three tenants slowly become irrelevant over time? Connor looks more like a home grown self-righteous Assassin that works alone. Which sounds totally awesome. Rather than the traditional Assassin that is initiated into a larger group.

We know he can recruit and has Assassin helpers like in ACB/ACR, so obviously he is part of something bigger. Maybe. Or perhaps he has started the Assassin's up again like Ezio did in Rome and sort of his own revolution against the templars.

What do you guys think the 18th century Assassin's will look like? Will Connor be a leader like Ezio was, or more of a solo guy doin his own thing on his own agenda(for freedom and what not)?

Cannot wait!

LoyalACFan
07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
"Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted" basically IS the Assassin's Creed. Ezio says that point-blank to Sofia in Revelations. The three tenets of Altair's time were the laws of the Brotherhood, but they were probably only spelled out so clearly to familiarize the audience with the beliefs of the Assassins. Ezio still practiced those same tenets (don't kill civilians, hide with the crowd, and never compromise the Brotherhood) but the exact phrasing sort of fell out of use after the first game. Think of it this way- "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted" is the Assassin's Creed; the three tenets are the Assassin's Rulebook.

But as for how it relates to Connor... UbiGabe let slip a while back that an Asian Assassin was responsible for bringing the ideals of the Order to the New World, and I'm willing to go out on a limb here to theorize that it was Shao Jun who came to the Americas in the 1500s with whatever Ezio gave her in that box in Embers. We obviously don't know exactly how Connor finds the Assassins, but he probably encounters the contents of the box at some point. Maybe Ezio made his own, smaller Codex (or even a series of letters) about the history and practices of the Order, and the American Assassins are using it much like the Italian Assassins used Altair's.

And to cap it all off... I'm not sure how much of a 'leader' role Connor will take up in AC3. After all, he's only in his early 20s during the Revolution if he really was born in 1755. Besides, I'm not sure how well-established the Assassins are in America at this point in history, considering that it was all pretty new at the time, so I doubt he's going to have the army of deadly Assassin hitmen like Ezio did. They did change the name of the Brotherhood to "the Band", so I'm not even sure if his compatriots are Assassins or just random civilians he helps off the street. Or maybe even the crew of his ship.

dxsxhxcx
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
I hope the tenets are remembered in AC3, specially because now we'll probably be a recruit/master assassin again and not the grand master of the Order (rank I hope Connor never reach in the game), IMO this is one of the things that make the sense that we are part of a Brotherhood stronger, a feeling that IMO wasn't as strong in AC2/B/R as it was in AC1..

FirestarLuva
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I actually hope there's much more emphasis put on the Order than AC2. It would be very interesting to see Connor start his own Guild like Ezio in ACB, but from what we've heard of him so far, he isn't actually the talkative person like Ezio, Connor sounds more like a loner that likes to do things by himself. I hope we see an Al Mualim type of guy/Mentor of the Order that will give Connor missions, like Altair in AC1. Another cool hing would be to see Connor become a Master Assassin and get his dual hidden blades by the traditions of the Order, not given to him by another Da Vinci sort of guy.

LoyalACFan
07-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I actually hope there's much more emphasis put on the Order than AC2. It would be very interesting to see Connor start his own Guild like Ezio in ACB, but from what we've heard of him so far, he isn't actually the talkative person like Ezio, Connor sounds more like a loner that likes to do things by himself. I hope we see an Al Mualim type of guy/Mentor of the Order that will give Connor missions, like Altair in AC1. Another cool hing would be to see Connor become a Master Assassin and get his dual hidden blades by the traditions of the Order, not given to him by another Da Vinci sort of guy.

There wasn't much emphasis on the Order in AC2 because it was basically nonexistent. Sure, there were Assassins, but they had no real base of power. That was why Ezio was so significant, he basically rebuilt the Italian Brotherhood from the ground up and made them a formidable political entity.

Anyway, back to AC3; they'll probably give him the double blade pretty early on for gameplay reasons, since we're so used to having them with Ezio. They said they weren't going to use Ben Franklin as a Da Vinci stand-in, but I think he'll at least give him his hidden blades.

Altair661
07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Anyway, back to AC3; they'll probably give him the double blade pretty early on for gameplay reasons, since we're so used to having them with Ezio. They said they weren't going to use Ben Franklin as a Da Vinci stand-in, but I think he'll at least give him his hidden blades.

Part of me kind of wishes we don't get double hidden blades, unless we can do some sick moves with them since Connor is a master of dual weaponry. But I like how he reminds e of Altair in the sense that he only has a few weapons on him, those he can carry. (Not an Armory like Ezio in ACR) And only whats nesseccessary(Bow&Arrow, Hidden Blade, Tomahawk, Rope Dart, Maybe a dagger) to fight with.

Id rather feel more like a solo hunter Assassin that can really do extrodinary things with the simple things that is part of the brotherhood, knows what he has to do, but does it his own and improvises if needed. Rather than a grand master that leads the entire brotherhood, and has every weapon he could every hold and in all honesty he really wasn't that stealthy in ACB/ACR. I felt more like a walking tank, sorta. I like that they're bringing more stealth back to Connor.

Back to the subject: I understand "Nothing is True; Everything is Permitted" is a big part of the creed. But It'd be nice to throw it in there for those of us who have been playing since AC1, and just because we haven't really heard it since. And I also think Shao Jun is gonna be the one that ends up connecting Ezio and Connor in some way or starting the Assassin's in the New World.

LoyalACFan
07-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Part of me kind of wishes we don't get double hidden blades, unless we can do some sick moves with them since Connor is a master of dual weaponry. But I like how he reminds e of Altair in the sense that he only has a few weapons on him, those he can carry. (Not an Armory like Ezio in ACR) And only whats nesseccessary(Bow&Arrow, Hidden Blade, Tomahawk, Rope Dart, Maybe a dagger) to fight with.

Id rather feel more like a solo hunter Assassin that can really do extrodinary things with the simple things that is part of the brotherhood, knows what he has to do, but does it his own and improvises if needed. Rather than a grand master that leads the entire brotherhood, and has every weapon he could every hold and in all honesty he really wasn't that stealthy in ACB/ACR. I felt more like a walking tank, sorta. I like that they're bringing more stealth back to Connor.

Back to the subject: I understand "Nothing is True; Everything is Permitted" is a big part of the creed. But It'd be nice to throw it in there for those of us who have been playing since AC1, and just because we haven't really heard it since. And I also think Shao Jun is gonna be the one that ends up connecting Ezio and Connor in some way or starting the Assassin's in the New World.

Yeah, that's true, I hope they tone down the amount of weapons Connor has on his belt. I mean, I like to have plenty of options/variety, but with the addition of bombs in ACR, Ezio's arsenal was a bit excessive. I mean, a sword, dagger, crossbow, hookblade, hidden blade, pistol, poison darts, throwing knives, lethal bombs, tactical bombs, diversion bombs, and a bag of parachutes? :/ It was getting a little ridiculous near the end. I guess it was OK for Ezio, since he was kind of an over-the-top character in many ways anyway, but having a mobile armory wouldn't really suit Connor's 'hunter' character.

AssassinGame1
07-28-2012, 12:23 AM
We all know the Creed by now. That according to Altair, it can never be killed, because it's not only something the Assassin's follow, but an idea. Now I'm extremely curious to see how Connor joins and get's involved with the Assassin's. Obviously his village is burned down by templars, but for Ezio, he always knew about the legacy left by Altair and about the past of the cult/organization. So I'm wondering how the Assassin's will start in the newly made USA, or if Connor will be the first.

In AC1, the creed was always apparent. Hell, Altair was nearly killed and was stripped of everything (even his countering abilities!) because he pretty much betrayed all 3 in mission. But in AC2 (I could be wrong) I don't think the creed was ever said to Ezio. Even when he would initiate new recruits to the Assassin rank, he would simply say "We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassin's" and says the traditional "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted". I feel like the creed has sort of been lost in the past couple games. (The game is called Assassin's Creed!!!)

I just wonder if Connor will learn of the past Assassin's what they've done, and of the creed. Or is it even relevant at this point, have the three tenants slowly become irrelevant over time? Connor looks more like a home grown self-righteous Assassin that works alone. Which sounds totally awesome. Rather than the traditional Assassin that is initiated into a larger group.

We know he can recruit and has Assassin helpers like in ACB/ACR, so obviously he is part of something bigger. Maybe. Or perhaps he has started the Assassin's up again like Ezio did in Rome and sort of his own revolution against the templars.

What do you guys think the 18th century Assassin's will look like? Will Connor be a leader like Ezio was, or more of a solo guy doin his own thing on his own agenda(for freedom and what not)?

Cannot wait!

Connor's point in the game is revealing the past of assassin's, he is on a journey though being a master assassin, he was forced into the creed. You were right about the part where u said that AC is losing it's point in the game but Ubisoft is trying to make AC3 different than the other games, like a new environment new co-op and not much of a city game, most of AC was all about a city type of setting, but this time Ubisoft wanted to do something a little of what they usually do in the AC series.
Glad to help:) PLEASE READ PLEASE READ PLEASE READ

AssassinGame1
07-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah, that's true, I hope they tone down the amount of weapons Connor has on his belt. I mean, I like to have plenty of options/variety, but with the addition of bombs in ACR, Ezio's arsenal was a bit excessive. I mean, a sword, dagger, crossbow, hookblade, hidden blade, pistol, poison darts, throwing knives, lethal bombs, tactical bombs, diversion bombs, and a bag of parachutes? :/ It was getting a little ridiculous near the end. I guess it was OK for Ezio, since he was kind of an over-the-top character in many ways anyway, but having a mobile armory wouldn't really suit Connor's 'hunter' character.

After saying all that, it seems you picked the right username:D

LoyalACFan
07-28-2012, 12:48 AM
After saying all that, it seems you picked the right username:D

:p

I only intended my username as a one-off to make a single thread, but then i got caught up in the forum and just went with it.

connor_bg
07-28-2012, 01:32 AM
After all this years playing AC, since the first came out, i have like 3000h+ playtime ive never managed to understand the story of all AC's, every time i start playing im like "cmon skip that cinematic already". At the end of Revelations there was some cutscene with people dying on it, but never realized wtf is going on :D:D

LoyalACFan
07-28-2012, 02:49 AM
After all this years playing AC, since the first came out, i have like 3000h+ playtime ive never managed to understand the story of all AC's, every time i start playing im like "cmon skip that cinematic already". At the end of Revelations there was some cutscene with people dying on it, but never realized wtf is going on :D:D

:nonchalance:

Altair661
07-28-2012, 04:03 AM

pretty sure your trolling but if your not I apologize but that's kind of really off subject. If you really want to play Assassin's Creed you have to play it for the story dude. I Can understand it being confusing and what not, but don't blame the game for confusing you when you skip all the important parts.

Calvarok
07-28-2012, 04:05 AM
The Creed was so strictly enforced in AC1 because of Al Mualim. Under Altair's leadership the Assassins were given more freedom. Most of the tenets are self-evident, of course. "Don't compromise the brotherhood"? I don't think you need to say the creed literally, word for word to follow it. Ezio was instilled with the values of a good assassin, which he brought his own style to. Certain things about it are not always applicable in every situation. If killing an innocent will save a million more, it is up to the judgement of the assassin to judge whether to act or not. If revealing yourself will allow you to follow your prey back to his hidey-hole, and thereby eliminate his buddies, then it is up to the assassin whether or not they want to pursue things that way.

I think people often take the creed too literally.

connor_bg
07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
pretty sure your trolling but if your not I apologize but that's kind of really off subject. If you really want to play Assassin's Creed you have to play it for the story dude. I Can understand it being confusing and what not, but don't blame the game for confusing you when you skip all the important parts.

No, im serious about it, ive beated every game like 5-6 times each, i just find everything about the game epic, but the story about AC2 and ACB no.. the whole thing about "those who came before", templar plots and such makes me force quit the games... About ACR, my history is closely tied with this shown in ACR, and just showing the ottomans as good guys makes me wanna burn my game's cd... and i dont know how came byazid's troops are templars, since byazids fought against the templars 2 decades ago for keeping their empire... i dont know from where ubi gathered such untrue information about the game.

Altair661
07-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Well I'm not history major, so unless I wikipedia it I can't prove you wrong. But the AC team does have a 10 second wiki rule, where if you can go on wikipedia and prove them wrong then it doesn't go in the game. Also, in ACR they aren't trying to tell you who's good and who's bad, the basis is that Ezio is there to start up the Assassins again and learn of Altair's legacy and get to the vault in Masyaf, the Assassin's merely fight the Templars, hence the fact that in AC3 Connor is not fighting against the red coats, only those who are templars.

And for the whole 2012 story (involving Desmond and TWCB) they are trying to create a story that connects all the Assassin's in Desmond's bloodline together, and him, himself. How can you have a conflict that literally is still threatning over 1000 years later? Well, you do what they did. It's also a way to try and keep you interested a on-going story. If you simply were playing as different Assassin's every game, then there would be no continuing story throughout the games. They need a story that will make you want to buy the next game to figure out either what happens next or how it ends.

But for some, the whole 2012 story can be a turn off (like yourself) and that is pretty much why they have never included Desmond nor any of the 2012 stuff into ANY marketing campaigns at all.

LoyalACFan
07-29-2012, 03:59 AM
No, im serious about it, ive beated every game like 5-6 times each, i just find everything about the game epic, but the story about AC2 and ACB no.. the whole thing about "those who came before", templar plots and such makes me force quit the games... About ACR, my history is closely tied with this shown in ACR, and just showing the ottomans as good guys makes me wanna burn my game's cd... and i dont know how came byazid's troops are templars, since byazids fought against the templars 2 decades ago for keeping their empire... i dont know from where ubi gathered such untrue information about the game.

Bayezid's troops are not Templars. The Ottoman soldiers are basically the police force of the city, and when you do illegal things, they fight you and you kill them. The only Ottoman to be portrayed as a "good guy" was Suleiman, because he is, to this day, pretty much considered one of the greatest and most tolerant kings of the era.

If you had actually paid attention to the story instead of skipping all the cutscenes, you would have known all this stuff... :nonchalance:

connor_bg
07-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Bayezid's troops are not Templars. The Ottoman soldiers are basically the police force of the city, and when you do illegal things, they fight you and you kill them. The only Ottoman to be portrayed as a "good guy" was Suleiman, because he is, to this day, pretty much considered one of the greatest and most tolerant kings of the era.

If you had actually paid attention to the story instead of skipping all the cutscenes, you would have known all this stuff... :nonchalance:

They are not? Why did this left me with this impression, but those troops will attack you on sight as far as i can remember (exept cappadocia).
But i cant agree with the Suleiman's reptation as such. This does not stoped him to countinue the typical for the ottoman empire "devshirme"-s (taking christian children and raise them as jannisaries so later on to come back and kill their own parents, not like the conversasions at the stupid game where jannisaries mention their sisters, things about marriage, when they were forbidden to) against mine country, alongside with other skinscalping taxes, and importing province's turks in our to mix with the christians and banish all of the christian population. So history about that is more populated here, i dont know why "western"-ish histoy has those absurd information about this.

Altair661
07-29-2012, 07:36 AM
They are not? Why did this left me with this impression, but those troops will attack you on sight as far as i can remember (exept cappadocia).

Because you were an Assassin, Assassin's were exactly friends of the law alot of the time.

TheFrontLine
07-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Then your notoriety was high, you were in a restricted area, or you did something 'inappropriate' (Like killing someone, bumping into them, etc.).

connor_bg
07-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Then your notoriety was high, you were in a restricted area, or you did something 'inappropriate' (Like killing someone, bumping into them, etc.).

Ok, but who were the real templars at the game?

Because you were an Assassin, Assassin's were exactly friends of the law alot of the time.
Its funny how the ottoman troops didnt care of you while on high notoriety.

TheFrontLine
07-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Ok, but who were the real templars at the game?

Its funny how the ottoman troops didnt care of you while on high notoriety.

They were the ones you were sent to kill? Are you asking me if the Ottomans or the Byzantines were the Templars? Not ALL Ottomans/Byzantines were Templars.

Although it wasn't directed at me, the Ottomans' alert arrow(?) raise quicker when you're at max notoriety.

LoyalACFan
07-29-2012, 11:48 AM

*facepalm*

The guards you're talking about have absolutely no relation to Bayezid. They're the soldiers of a Byzantine remnant who what to overthrow the Ottomans and take back Constantinople, which they lost roughly 50 or so years before the game takes place. Seriously, don't skip all the cutscenes that tell you what's happening then come online and bash the story.

But i cant agree with the Suleiman's reptation as such. This does not stoped him to countinue the typical for the ottoman empire "devshirme"-s (taking christian children and raise them as jannisaries so later on to come back and kill their own parents, not like the conversasions at the stupid game where jannisaries mention their sisters, things about marriage, when they were forbidden to) against mine country, alongside with other skinscalping taxes, and importing province's turks in our to mix with the christians and banish all of the christian population. So history about that is more populated here, i dont know why "western"-ish histoy has those absurd information about this.

Well, I can't help it that you don't agree, and I'll respect your reasons for doing so, but that doesn't change the fact that he's almost unanimously evaluated as a greatly positive influence on Istanbul. His rule was far from perfect, but he did manage quite a lot of progress during his reign, particularly for minority religions who had previously been struggling under the Ottoman regime.

connor_bg
07-29-2012, 03:57 PM
*facepalm*

The guards you're talking about have absolutely no relation to Bayezid. They're the soldiers of a Byzantine remnant who what to overthrow the Ottomans and take back Constantinople, which they lost roughly 50 or so years before the game takes place. Seriously, don't skip all the cutscenes that tell you what's happening then come online and bash the story.

"Byzantine".... sorry, i just noticed my mistake about this one, i never managed to learn to not mistake it with "Bayezid", the B and Y and A and E are really tricky one.
But its funny how few of the forum members, before you, managed to answer me when i misspelled that:D:D