PDA

View Full Version : Eyewitness Accounts

loweyes
02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Sorry about the case,some interesting reading I found while searching for something completely different.

MUCH HAPPENED IN THE NEXT FEW MINUTES. THERE HAD BEEN SOME INTERPHONE TALK ABOUT PLANES COMING UP BEHIND US WHEN THE REDHEAD CUT IN AND SAID, "THOSE ARE BANDITS, GET ON THEM". FORTY TO FIFTY FW190'S IN WAVES ATTACKED FROM OUR REAR WITH THE LOW BOX RECEIVING THE HEAVIEST FIRE. THERE WERE MANY SMALL WHITE PUFFS FROM
EXPLODING 20MM SHELLS AROUND OUR POSITION IN THE LEAD BOX. THE SHELL THAT JAMMED MY RIGHT CHIN TURRET GUN CUT THE AMMUNITION BELT AND EXPLODED THREE OF THE .50 ROUNDS. SOMETHING FRACTURED THE PLEXIGLASS COVER, AND IT WAS SUCKED AWAY BY THE DOWNDRAFT. AS I WAS CROUCHED WITH MY RIGHT FOOT ON THE COVER, MY LEG DROPPED AND MY FOOT HIT THE GUN COVER. BEFORE I COULD PULL MY FOOT OUT BOB, OUR NAVIGATOR, GRABBED AND PULLED ME BACKWARDS.
I LOOKED DOWN AND SAW A 190 EVEN WITH OUR NOSE IN THE INSTANT BEFORE IT FLIPPED OVER. THE .50 CALIBER FIRE HAD SAWED OFF ONE WING CLOSE TO THE FUSILAGE. AS I LOOKED LEFT, A B-17 WITH #3 ENGINE ON FIRE PULLED AWAY FROM THE LEAD BOX AND ONE PERSON JUMPED OUT THE WAIST DOOR. LOOKING RIGHT I SAW ANOTHER B-17 ON FIRE. OUR WAIST GUNNER WAS UNTOUCHED BY A SHELL THAT EXPLODED NEXT TO HIS FEET, RIPPED OPEN AN OXYGEN BOTTLE AND STARTED A FIRE IN A LIFE VEST.
THOSE WITH A VIEW TO THE REAR SAID IT LOOKED LIKE THERE WERE FIFTY TO SIXTY PARACHUTES IN THE AIR AT ONE TIME. THE 190'S HAD FORMED UP FOR A SECOND ATTACK WHEN OUR P-51'S ARRIVED AND BROKE UP THEIR FORMATIONS.
ONE HUNDRED THIRTY EIGHT ENEMY PLANES WERE REPORTED DOWNED BY THE P-51'S. SEVEN PLANES WERE LOST FROM THE LOW BOX AND ONE EACH FROM THE LEAD AND HIGH BOXES.

There is a lot more at http://www.reese-457th.org/MERS.HTML

loweyes
02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Sorry about the case,some interesting reading I found while searching for something completely different.

MUCH HAPPENED IN THE NEXT FEW MINUTES. THERE HAD BEEN SOME INTERPHONE TALK ABOUT PLANES COMING UP BEHIND US WHEN THE REDHEAD CUT IN AND SAID, "THOSE ARE BANDITS, GET ON THEM". FORTY TO FIFTY FW190'S IN WAVES ATTACKED FROM OUR REAR WITH THE LOW BOX RECEIVING THE HEAVIEST FIRE. THERE WERE MANY SMALL WHITE PUFFS FROM
EXPLODING 20MM SHELLS AROUND OUR POSITION IN THE LEAD BOX. THE SHELL THAT JAMMED MY RIGHT CHIN TURRET GUN CUT THE AMMUNITION BELT AND EXPLODED THREE OF THE .50 ROUNDS. SOMETHING FRACTURED THE PLEXIGLASS COVER, AND IT WAS SUCKED AWAY BY THE DOWNDRAFT. AS I WAS CROUCHED WITH MY RIGHT FOOT ON THE COVER, MY LEG DROPPED AND MY FOOT HIT THE GUN COVER. BEFORE I COULD PULL MY FOOT OUT BOB, OUR NAVIGATOR, GRABBED AND PULLED ME BACKWARDS.
I LOOKED DOWN AND SAW A 190 EVEN WITH OUR NOSE IN THE INSTANT BEFORE IT FLIPPED OVER. THE .50 CALIBER FIRE HAD SAWED OFF ONE WING CLOSE TO THE FUSILAGE. AS I LOOKED LEFT, A B-17 WITH #3 ENGINE ON FIRE PULLED AWAY FROM THE LEAD BOX AND ONE PERSON JUMPED OUT THE WAIST DOOR. LOOKING RIGHT I SAW ANOTHER B-17 ON FIRE. OUR WAIST GUNNER WAS UNTOUCHED BY A SHELL THAT EXPLODED NEXT TO HIS FEET, RIPPED OPEN AN OXYGEN BOTTLE AND STARTED A FIRE IN A LIFE VEST.
THOSE WITH A VIEW TO THE REAR SAID IT LOOKED LIKE THERE WERE FIFTY TO SIXTY PARACHUTES IN THE AIR AT ONE TIME. THE 190'S HAD FORMED UP FOR A SECOND ATTACK WHEN OUR P-51'S ARRIVED AND BROKE UP THEIR FORMATIONS.
ONE HUNDRED THIRTY EIGHT ENEMY PLANES WERE REPORTED DOWNED BY THE P-51'S. SEVEN PLANES WERE LOST FROM THE LOW BOX AND ONE EACH FROM THE LEAD AND HIGH BOXES.

There is a lot more at http://www.reese-457th.org/MERS.HTML