PDA

View Full Version : I dont really understand what "reliving memories" is

GameFreak65
07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
ive played all the AC games and understand the whole story but is desmond moving his ancesstors or is he watching , what made me wonder is the 100% sync thing

Helforsite
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/In_8dfced_1085666.gif#

No^^ You are Desmond and you are reliving(playing) the memories of certain ancestors through a device called the "Animus". For example if Ezio(your ancestor in game) was meeting some ladies and havin some fun(if you know what i mean) you would replay his memory. You are just doin what he was doing and trying to do everything he does exactly the same way he did it!

WolfTemplar94
07-20-2012, 09:33 PM
You're replaying the memories. You can move around, and do things not EXACTLY like the ancestor did, but only to a certain point (Not being able go to a certain area until a point in the game).

BBALive
07-20-2012, 09:35 PM
When you're playing as an ancestor through the Animus, you're essentially reliving their experiences, as you already know.

100% synch refers to performing the mission exactly like the ancestor did.

If you don't get 100% synch, then somewhere throughout the mission, you did something differently to how the ancestor did it.

rileypoole1234
07-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Remember in AC1 they said the Animus uses some sort of puppet technology. Desmond has some control over his ancestors. At least that's what I thought.

MT4K
07-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Remember in AC1 they said the Animus uses some sort of puppet technology. Desmond has some control over his ancestors. At least that's what I thought.

The puppet system is being removed for AC3 though with the new controls :P.

pirate1802
07-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Another related question! When Desmond is reliving the memories, is he watching the ancestors in third-person, controlling them like a puppet or totally first person view?

JCearlyyears
07-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Third person.

BBALive
07-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Another related question! When Desmond is reliving the memories, is he watching the ancestors in third-person, controlling them like a puppet or totally first person view?

First-person, I would imagine.

I don't think has ever been explained. If it has then I missed it.

LoyalACFan
07-21-2012, 06:20 AM
The puppet system is being removed for AC3 though with the new controls :P.

They had already basically removed it in Revelations, what with the "head button to control ranged weapon" thing. But really, the puppeteer thing still holds true for most things, even if they're not deliberately trying to design it that way. The feet button still does Fast Walk, the weapon hand still does Attack, and the empty hand button still does Gentle Push.

MT4K
07-21-2012, 09:05 AM
They had already basically removed it in Revelations, what with the "head button to control ranged weapon" thing. But really, the puppeteer thing still holds true for most things, even if they're not deliberately trying to design it that way. The feet button still does Fast Walk, the weapon hand still does Attack, and the empty hand button still does Gentle Push.

Yeah i guess you're right :P. Ok you win this round :D lol.

Seriously though yeah you're right :D. I just remember them saying they was doing away with it for AC3 or something so :P, but when you do think about it yeah most of the controls still do what they did before.

GLHS
07-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I always just thought it was like he was playing them. He doesn't use a controller or anything, it's a little bit more advanced than that I think. But, they (outside the Animus) can ask him to do certain things or look at certain things. He has control over them to an extent. I think that's why it feels more like he's the one living it and why it's so easy to confuse the 2 time periods. It's like watching a movie vs. playing a game for us. Watching stuff is cool, but when you're playing it, you really feel like it's you doing these things. Everything's happening to you, since you're the one in control. So, I believe how he sees things in the Animus is pretty close to how we see them while playing (3rd person, menus, icons, GPS map, etc.)

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Does Desmond fully control him? Because how does he know what to say to people, like when he gives those speeches and such?

GLHS
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
It's not fully explained in the games, so I'm not sure. But I don't think he controls their speech. The cutscenes that we see are sorta the same for him. He watches them, b/c it's still a recording of the memories, but it's also accessible and interactive at the same time. It's really not that different from, say augmented reality games. You're inside the game, controlling it, but it's still not you type of thing. When he's running around and stabbing people, that's him controlling it. But when it's showing something to him, say a conversation or a scene, he's just watching it.

Examples that I can think of off the top of my head are in the first game. Anytime the Animus says "forwarding memory to a more recent one" or "skipping part of memory to a more recent one", all it's doing is fast forwarding to a more relevant part, or an interactive part, of the memory within the DNA. Like before an assassination contract, most of the time, Altair would wait until the next day. So he would meditate, write, sleep, whatever, then the next day, you'd be able to control him and go kill the contract. But the Animus always skips ahead b/c it's not relevant.

Another good example is after you finish the truth in AC2 and you see the memory of Adam and Eve. When Clay saw that, he didn't play as Adam. That was something that was recorded on down through the DNA and was shown to him. The Animus then recorded what he was seeing (as it does every time it's on), and it became a video file archived on the Animus harddrive. Then, since Clay was a genius, he chopped it apart into 20 pieces and hid it in the mainframe to be discovered by Desmond to show him, literally, the truth about mankind. So, Desmond was watching what Clay was watching through his DNA connection with Adam, and the Assassin team was watching the recording of it through the Animus, at the same time Desmond was experiencing it.

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
It's not fully explained in the games, so I'm not sure. But I don't think he controls their speech. The cutscenes that we see are sorta the same for him. He watches them, b/c it's still a recording of the memories, but it's also accessible and interactive at the same time. It's really not that different from, say augmented reality games. You're inside the game, controlling it, but it's still not you type of thing. When he's running around and stabbing people, that's him controlling it. But when it's showing something to him, say a conversation or a scene, he's just watching it.

Examples that I can think of off the top of my head are in the first game. Anytime the Animus says "forwarding memory to a more recent one" or "skipping part of memory to a more recent one", all it's doing is fast forwarding to a more relevant part, or an interactive part, of the memory within the DNA. Like before an assassination contract, most of the time, Altair would wait until the next day. So he would meditate, write, sleep, whatever, then the next day, you'd be able to control him and go kill the contract. But the Animus always skips ahead b/c it's not relevant.

Another good example is after you finish the truth in AC2 and you see the memory of Adam and Eve. When Clay saw that, he didn't play as Adam. That was something that was recorded on down through the DNA and was shown to him. The Animus then recorded what he was seeing (as it does every time it's on), and it became a video file archived on the Animus harddrive. Then, since Clay was a genius, he chopped it apart into 20 pieces and hid it in the mainframe to be discovered by Desmond to show him, literally, the truth about mankind. So, Desmond was watching what Clay was watching through his DNA connection with Adam, and the Assassin team was watching the recording of it through the Animus, at the same time Desmond was experiencing it.

Yeah, that pretty much makes sense about skipping the irrelevant parts, but why does Desmond actually take control of Altair and Ezio during assassinations and such? Is there a reason for why he must control them during those sequences but not during others? The only reason I can think of is that they are too complex to simply view as it was, he's not synchronised
enough with his ancestors to see what really happened during those times where emotions and actions made the whole synchronisation process to hard for Desmond, and so had to do it himself?

I know it would make a very bad video game if Desmond simply viewed his ancestors lives, so controlling him during the 'fun' parts is probably just a gameplay mechanic. That's just my idea above.

GLHS
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
The Animus doesn't just decode and show things, though. It's an interactive program. You're kind of right about them being too complex. They're accessible, interactive files, like how the Truth was in AC:B, whereas in AC2 it was just a video file. In AC:B, it's an executable program that's uploaded, activated, and finally played through. Not every detail of how everything works is explained, as I said, but it's enough to understand the general idea of their technology. This is technology that we don't actually have, so there's no way we can know everything. Basically just what is explained and what is gathered through common knowledge of the games. The Animus page on the wiki may or may not explain further.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Animus