PDA

View Full Version : The Abstergo intends to sell the Animus - Why?

Slayer_WTF
07-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I just finished reading an interview with Damien Kieken, which deals with the multiplayer Assassin's Creed 3. In short, says that the Abstergo going to sell on the market the Animus, so that people can use them. What I wonder is: train people in this way (using the Animus), and finally have control over them (Eye-Abstergo). Perhaps hunting for the "resistance"? Or those with blood of those who came before? Here is the logo:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/531310_10151039352166178_358736721_n.jpg

Unfortunately the interview is in Italian ( http://www.facebook.com/notes/assassins-creed-ufficiale-italia/assassins-creed-3-modalit%C3%A0-multigiocatore-qa-intervista-a-damien-kieken-game-dir/10150964925613546 ), but they had already mentioned something similar on Kotaku, in speaking of Liberations. I apologize for my English. If something is not clear just ask. Do not offend me.

LadyGahan2010
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I assume this is just an excuse for Vita's "portable Animus" game, Liberation. Also, hey, they did what they needed to to accomplish their goal, they don't need exclusive rights on Animus

Slayer_WTF
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
I assume this is just an excuse for Vita's "portable Animus" game, Liberation. Also, hey, they did what they needed to to accomplish their goal, they don't need exclusive rights on Animus

He also speaks of the home console version, not just the portable. So, as it was for Revelations, even in this case, the multiplayer will be linked to the history, files and videos*.

*it says in the article

dxsxhxcx
07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
maybe they want to collect other people's memories this way, the masses are dumb, they'll certainly be so amazed about what the animus can do (imagine how you would feel if you were able to have a similar experience) that they won't even realize that Abstergo will (probably) have access to all this data... they're aren't aware of what Abstergo really is...

rileypoole1234
07-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Well if it was real life, people would pay top dollar for a machine that lets you see the past through your ancestors eyes.

Slayer_WTF
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
maybe they want to collect other people's memories this way, the masses are dumb, they'll certainly be so amazed about what the animus can do (imagine how you would feel if you were able to have a similar experience) that they won't even realize that Abstergo will (probably) have access to all this data... they're aren't aware of what Abstergo really is...

What good is having the memories of the people if they are already under your control?

dxsxhxcx
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
What good is having the memories of the people if they are already under your control?

search for other PoEs, discover more about the past?! Since when do you need a reason to obtain more power? I also believe that they are aware that there are people that can resist the power of the apple like Altair did, so they're probably covering their bases in case a resistance appear to mess up with their plans...

VivoEstSomnio
07-20-2012, 05:56 PM
search for other PoEs, discover more about the past?! Since when do you need a reason to obtain more power? I also believe that they are aware that there are people that can resist the power of the apple like Altair did, so they're probably covering their bases in case a resistance appear to mess up with their plans...

I agree. You never know when you might stumble across someone who was related to Machiavelli, da Vinci, George Washington, or anybody else who would come from a time where Altair/Ezio/Connor are there battling the Templars. Even if they couldn't change the course of events, it would give them a ridiculous amount of inside information.

SaintPerkele
07-20-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree. You never know when you might stumble across someone who was related to Machiavelli, da Vinci, George Washington, or anybody else who would come from a time where Altair/Ezio/Connor are there battling the Templars. Even if they couldn't change the course of events, it would give them a ridiculous amount of inside information.
My thoughts exactly. Project Legacy hinted quite a lot that Abstergo is still searching for valuable test subjects: The people (so basically you, when you're playing the game) who relive the PL memories are constantly asked about their heritage. Also, a certain memory describes how Abstergo kidnaps a woman after she mentioned to an employee of the company that Charles Darwin was her ancestor.

EDIT: By the way, I love the logo, really looks like a new gaming platform.

GunnarGunderson
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think they're selling it for reliving your own ancestors but just for reliving lives that they pick out, like Aveline's

SixKeys
07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
The devs have stated in numerous interviews, when asked about the future of AC, that they have gotten better at planning ahead. I absolutely believe this idea is intended to have long-term effects on the main AC series, wherever it may go after AC3. Abstergo wants to sell the Animus to the general public who know nothing about the war between the Templars and assassins - why? Most likely to recruit new members to their cause with propaganda tools like Liberation.

In gameplay terms, I wonder if this means we might see a more RPG-oriented AC game in the future. Up until now the frame of the story hasn't allowed for much player freedom in choosing your character's gender and background, for example. But if it becomes canon that not every game is necessarily based on a specific person living a specific ancestor's memories, the opportunities are endless. You could allow the player to create a fully customized character from scratch because they're not really living an ancestor's memories, just using an Abstergo entertainment tool with an Abstergo-created avatar and Abstergo-influenced history.

Serrachio
07-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Playing a game within playing a game, GAMECEPTION.

kriegerdesgottes
07-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah it kind of makes sense because they could accumulate all the of memories of the masses to learn as much as possible about whatever they want to know about anything like the locations for other POEs. If a company actually invented something like this (which I realize is not possible) but if they did I would be so happy.

VivoEstSomnio
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah it kind of makes sense because they could accumulate all the of memories of the masses to learn as much as possible about whatever they want to know about anything like the locations for other POEs. If a company actually invented something like this (which I realize is not possible) but if they did I would be so happy.

Exactly. It's a pretty smart move on Abstergo's part to do something like this. It's essentially casting a wide net and seeing what you come up with rather than using a single fishing line. Crafty Templars >:| *shakes fist*

WolfTemplar94
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM
There has to be a plot point to do with this, I can imagine. It sounds pretty awesome, the possible plot this could spawn.

Shadow Markuz
07-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Italian guy here! Here's the translation, if it can help:

PART 1 - INTRODUCTION

What can you tell us about the new division dell'Abstergo, the "Abstergo Entertainment" and what is this new product called the "Animus" that are launching on the market?

This year, we won't play anymore as a Templar Abstergo recruit ... Abstergo decided to found a new division of "entertainment" within their organization, called "Abstergo Entertainment". The newest product of this new Abstergo Entertainment to come to market will be an innovative device called the "Animus". Thanks to the incredible research on genetic memory by Abstergo, the Animus offers everyone the opportunity to relive the past.
Abstergo is selling its product with a rather familiar and engaging marketing campaign, so as to develop a brand and a user interface that can capture all kinds of audiences. They also invented some very effective slogans such as "Create YOUR story" or "Relive the past in HD."

Always thinking about the consumer, Abstergo Entertainment will keep you updated on future of the company, giving you access to files and information on products that will soon debut on the market. Making progress in the game and increasing the level of your character, you can access these files and videos. In addition, each month we will have special and personal challenges for the community, which will allow you to unlock new content to develop the plot throughout the year.

But, what are the real reasons that lie behind this sudden Abstergo initiative to market such a revolutionary product? A product that will redefine the way we think and live...

(logo)

What can you reveal about the new artistic direction taken by Abstergo Entertainment?

The art direction of Abstergo has always been very cold and, you know ... "Pharmaceutical" ... with preference for colors like white and blue.
With the new Abstergo Entertainment division under development and their revolutionary "Animus" product coming to market, we had to develop a strong brand as well as a good "marketing campaign" that was visually appealing ... Moreover, the Animus will be published around the world and must apply to most consumers!

The new artistic management has to show the business side dell'Abstergo, it must appear as a leader in the entertainment industry.

We wanted it to be very corporate, eye-catching and distinct. Their message should resonate continually in the minds of consumers, convincing them of their reliability. They must want to buy their product, convince them to give their money. Moreover, the artistic direction must be modern and studied very carefully. The bokeh effect gives a relaxing sensation, ensuring a Zen experience
... but the dark crystals create a feeling of paranoia, a belief to be observed, raising questions about the true intentions of Abstergo and making us wonder what is really happening behind the scenes ...

(The second part is about new multiplayer modes and abilities)

kosmoscreed
07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the translation, but in this bit:

we will have special and personal challenges for the community, which will allow you to unlock new content to develop the plot throughout the year.

is he talking about us (the players) or about the fictional people that will buy the animus (inside the game story)?.

Dralight
07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the translation, but in this bit:

is he talking about us (the players) or about the fictional people that will buy the animus (inside the game story)?.

I assume he's talking about the player community, and I quite like the sound of it. ;)

GLHS
07-21-2012, 11:09 AM
This is very interesting. It certainly is an insanely smart direction from Abstergo. Put the Animus out in the public instead of hiding it and weed out the people who may create a resistance. They could be easily and quietly dealt with, and it just seems like this cool new interactive machine to everybody else. Nobody would be able to figure out the true reason behind it.

From a story standpoint, they really could go anywhere with this, and it creates a direct line to how the series will be able to continue to make sense without Desmond. You could be one person with different (or even one single) ancestors, or it could span across many people with different ancestors. The only thing that worries me about this idea though is, will we care? Like, Desmond and his ancestors are important. They did important things during important periods of time with some very important historical figures. Their (meaning Dez and his ancestors as a whole) story is important and relevant to the future. We care about what happens to them. But will we care about some random person with some random ancestor? Not everybody has an eventful family tree. Most people and their ancestors are just plain old boring people living normal lives. Of course, Ubi would only showcase important stories, but still. I just wonder how much we'll care about it. Either way, we'll still play them for the gameplay that we've come to love and expect from AC. But it won't be much of "Assassin's" Creed without an Assassin (or Templar for that matter) ancestor.

nightcobra
07-21-2012, 11:18 AM
This is very interesting. It certainly is an insanely smart direction from Abstergo. Put the Animus out in the public instead of hiding it and weed out the people who may create a resistance. They could be easily and quietly dealt with, and it just seems like this cool new interactive machine to everybody else. Nobody would be able to figure out the true reason behind it.

From a story standpoint, they really could go anywhere with this, and it creates a direct line to how the series will be able to continue to make sense without Desmond. You could be one person with different (or even one single) ancestors, or it could span across many people with different ancestors. The only thing that worries me about this idea though is, will we care? Like, Desmond and his ancestors are important. They did important things during important periods of time with some very important historical figures. Their (meaning Dez and his ancestors as a whole) story is important and relevant to the future. We care about what happens to them. But will we care about some random person with some random ancestor? Not everybody has an eventful family tree. Most people and their ancestors are just plain old boring people living normal lives. Of course, Ubi would only showcase important stories, but still. I just wonder how much we'll care about it. Either way, we'll still play them for the gameplay that we've come to love and expect from AC. But it won't be much of "Assassin's" Creed without an Assassin (or Templar for that matter) ancestor.

maybe this plan of having it released to the public could also mean as a way for abstergo to recruit new templars if they meet the requirements, as william miles said...only 1 in 10 million have a high concentration of "first civilization" genes so this could be a way to find one and attempt to recruit said person into their ranks. would be interesting if we got a game where you begin as regular guy being invited to abstergo (kinda like legacy in facebook and the multiplayer story in revelations), seeing the other side of the coin. it's a lot more interesting to have two factions that are at odds with each other and having you root for both of them rather then clear cut good vs evil or dark vs dark(er)

GLHS
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
maybe this plan of having it released to the public could also mean as a way for abstergo to recruit new templars if they meet the requirements, as william miles said...only 1 in 10 million have a high concentration of "first civilization" genes so this could be a way to find one and attempt to recruit said person into their ranks. would be interesting if we got a game where you begin as regular guy being invited to abstergo (kinda like legacy in facebook and the multiplayer story in revelations), seeing the other side of the coin. it's a lot more interesting to have two factions that are at odds with each other and having you root for both of them rather then clear cut good vs evil or dark vs dark(er)

Oh definitely. That's certainly part of their goal and one reason for doing this. I'm sure there are many reasons. I was just looking at things from their "Lets kill all the Assassins and control everybody" mindset. But your side is just as accurate lol.