PDA

View Full Version : Why was Desmond not surprised to see his father?

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
At the end of AC:R, when Desmond wakes up, why did he ignore his father? Haven't they not seen each other for many years since Desmond ran away from The Farm? I'd be pretty shocked to see my father's face after so long.

Side question: Was The Farm a place where they trained many children assassins or was it literally just a farm Desmond grew up in with assassin parents?

pacmanate
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
See thats what I wonder all the time too. But everyone that counters why he isn't surprised just says "he has a lot on his mind and wants to go to the temple" or some other crap.

JCearlyyears
07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
He heard his dad's voice while in the animus so he already knew.

TheHumanTowel
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe he already knew his father was there because he heard his voice like we did while he was in the coma but yeah I would have appreciated a bit of emotion seeing as he hasn't seen his father for 10 years. Just poor writing really.

pablo2977
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe he doesn't like his dad

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's probably a mixture between poor writing and Desmond's desire to get in that temple. But where the team drove and where Desmond woke up, was that the place Tinia/Jupiter was referring to? Because how did the team know? Did they watch the meeting on their audio-visual display of the Animus?

dxsxhxcx
07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
he just had woke up from a coma, he was probably confused and trying to absorb what he learned from S16 and Jupiter..

Yeah, I suppose it's probably a mixture between poor writing and Desmond's desire to get in that temple. But where the team drove and where Desmond woke up, was that the place Tinia/Jupiter was referring to? Because how did the team know? Did they watch the meeting on their audio-visual display of the Animus?

the location of the place where they are was discovered during ACB in the Da Vinci DLC...

JCearlyyears
07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Monitors were off so no.

GLHS
07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I think both bad writing and the fact that he had already heard his voice while in the Animus. Also, he probably ended up figuring it our during the events of AC:B through the emails. Seriously, how many of us saw William M. and didn't have a clue that it meant William Miles? Being that it was his father, I think he would've known. They also made it seem in AC:R that Desmond knows a lot more about Assassins in general than he explained or lead us to believe in AC1. He didn't say much really, mostly b/c he spent his whole life running away from it. But in AC:R, it gives the sense that Dez knew of his "destiny" with the Assassins so to speak, and his family's importance within the guild. Nobody gets to be the Grand Master of the Assassins without already holding a high importance and allegiance within the brotherhood. The last Master was killed in 2000, 2 years before Desmond ran away. You can't tell me news like that didn't spread like wildfire through the camp. There's no way his family held that much importance and him not know about it.

pacmanate
07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I mean come on, regardless if he "heard his dads voice" I'm pretty sure physically seeing his dad is more overwhelming. But nope, just gets out the van.

Layytez
07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm still puzzled as to why Ubisoft are putting important story information in dlc. Why ? something as important as the grand temples location or why Lucy was killed should be in the main game.

ProletariatPleb
07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I mean come on, regardless if he "heard his dads voice" I'm pretty sure physically seeing his dad is more overwhelming. But nope, just gets out the van.
While I understand what you mean, he just woke up and said "I know what to do" and that was it, he didn't ask about where he was, how he got there. Probably he'll talk to them in ACIII.

Serrachio
07-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Perhaps you're all forgetting the voices at the end of Brotherhood?

Desmond said "No..."

It could imply that he had only fully absorbed what had happened to Lucy, which is unlikely, considering how he acted when Clay told him that she had died. Or it could also mean "No... Not him."

pacmanate
07-20-2012, 04:27 PM
While I understand what you mean, he just woke up and said "I know what to do" and that was it, he didn't ask about where he was, how he got there. Probably he'll talk to them in ACIII.

*gets out of temple*

30 seconds later

*kills dad*

OR

It will just be so awkward from our point of view. They get out the van then what, he turns to his dad and says "HEY THERE!"

ProletariatPleb
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
*gets out of temple*

30 seconds later

*kills dad*

OR

It will just be so awkward from our point of view. They get out the van then what, he turns to his dad and says "HEY THERE!"
I think what he found out was much more important than seeing his father...also came out of Coma....

pacmanate
07-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I think what he found out was much more important than seeing his father...also came out of Coma....

I don't disagree, but it was like Desmond didn't even SEE him. Didn't acknowledge him at all.

Layytez
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
As they enter the temple they are going to have that chat and probably inside aswell before Desmond gives them the run down and goes back into the animus for whatever reason.

dxsxhxcx
07-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't disagree, but it was like Desmond didn't even SEE him. Didn't acknowledge him at all.

he came out of a coma that god knows how many days lasted and still had to deal with what he just learned in the animus, I think you would need some time before you realize what's happening around you in a situation like that...

Shaxy
07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree he just came out of a coma, he will need time to collect his thoughts. If anything there will Probally a proper reunion between near the start of AC3.

Serrachio
07-20-2012, 05:57 PM
He would have knew that William was there though, since there was conversations that could be heard between him and the other Assassins outside of the Animus.

VivoEstSomnio
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
The guy just came out of a coma and received some pretty heavy information while under and in the Animus. You know how we're all a little not quite there in the morning, even a bit hazy? Take that feeling and magnify it to get some sort of an idea. If Desmond were like me though he would've been a tad cranky :)

RatonhnhakeFan
07-20-2012, 06:08 PM
'Cause the budget for cutscenes ran out so they had to cut it short :p

twenty_glyphs
07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
It seems to me that Desmond was probably just overwhelmed and not in the mood for emotional reunions. The ending cutscene is such a small slice of time anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if Desmond and his father's relationship are explored in depth as AC3 opens. I really think Desmond was just so overwhelmed by his meeting with Jupiter and his new understanding, along with the grogginess of waking up from a coma, that he just sort of looked at his dad, then looked at the Apple and noticed some connection to it and said "I know what we need to do." Besides, Desmond has always been a very emotionally detached character throughout the series. Whether he's happy to see his dad, angry at him, or simply annoyed by his presence, I can't imagine his character reacting very strongly at seeing him for the first time in years.

GunnarGunderson
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
hard to be enthusiastic about anything when you just wake up from a coma

LoyalACFan
07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
If you ran away from home as a child, dismissed all the warnings your parents gave you about a secret organization who wants to kill you, got captured by said secret society, and eventually dropped into a coma where you learned how to stop a catastrophe that would destroy the Earth, I doubt you'd wake up and say "HEYYYY, WASSUP DAD!"

WolfTemplar94
07-20-2012, 09:42 PM
A lot of the Desmond writing in Revelations does seem quite poor, to be honest.

Black_Widow9
07-20-2012, 11:07 PM
If you ran away from home as a child, dismissed all the warnings your parents gave you about a secret organization who wants to kill you, got captured by said secret society, and eventually dropped into a coma where you learned how to stop a catastrophe that would destroy the Earth, I doubt you'd wake up and say "HEYYYY, WASSUP DAD!"

This. The Desmond sections showed how his father was a part of the Assassin's so if I were Desmond I probably wouldn't be very surprised either. ;)

GLHS
07-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Honestly, I think everybody's right. From a reality view, Him already knowing he was there, knowing that he was an Assassin, and having everything else on his mind, PLUS just waking up from a coma lasting at least a couple weeks...I would just be like "whatever" too. From a game view....the writing was rushed and quite lazy in a lot of areas. They've already apologized and sorta realized how much detail is actually missing from a lot of cutscenes and/or conversations in the game, so I don't think it was something that they purposefully intended. Knowing the time constraint and amount of things that they had to cut from the game, I'm assuming we're gonna get a proper reunion fitting for the relationship between Desmond and William, as well a full explanation of things in the beginning segments of AC3.

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-21-2012, 11:38 AM
But where did Desmond wake up? They were in a van - why? Someone mentioned their position in Monteriggioni was compromised in the Da Vinci Disappearance DLC, but I don't remember it, what happened exactly?

GLHS
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
But where did Desmond wake up? They were in a van - why? Someone mentioned their position in Monteriggioni was compromised in the Da Vinci Disappearance DLC, but I don't remember it, what happened exactly?

Did you play Revelations? They explain it in there. Once they found the Apple and Dez killed Lucy, they had to leave Italy. But the borders were being watched, so they were made fake passports to get across. Once they got stateside, they went to the Grand Temple. Or just outside of it, anyway. That's where they are when he wakes up. Presumably, in New York, at the location that was revealed in the DaVinci DLC.

infamous_ezio
07-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I think they're just saving it for AC3. The question that shaun and the other are most likely wanting to ask is why did desmond kill lucy, this would lead to desmond knowing why lucy was killed, explaining her betrayal to clay, and how clay killed himself, and then (i'm hoping as this would be pretty cool) that desmond just goes nuts at his dad, you know giving him a hard time about sending clay in, not caring about the peoples lives he's affected. The way i see it is that William is a bit of a bad bloke, and that lucy wasn't all wrong. So yeah, i think they're just saving it for the start of AC3.

XxSYD3WINDERxX
07-21-2012, 11:53 AM
So if the team already knew about the vault in NY, what was the 'revelation' of Revelations? All that was revealed was that there was a vault experimenting with saving Earth form the solar flare. Am I missing something?

nightcobra
07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
So if the team already knew about the vault in NY, what was the 'revelation' of Revelations? All that was revealed was that there was a vault experimenting with saving Earth form the solar flare. Am I missing something?

desmond had his arm glowing when he woke up, maybe jupiter gave him the key to the vault? even if they knew where it was i'd wager they wouldn't be able to just waltz in.

GLHS
07-21-2012, 12:12 PM
There were supposed to be a lot, but they had too many time constraints and had to cut a bunch of stuff. Basically, everything we learn in TLA, and the end of the actually game. Desmond needing to go to Eden and/or the Grand Temple, and Lucy being killed b/c she was a Templar sleeper agent, and b/c she was a threat to Desmond saving the world from the solar flare. Oh, and that he awakened the sixth and is now fully in synch with his TWCB DNA, hence his arm glowing and communicating with the Apple when he wakes up. And I guess the big headliner revelation was that Altair kept his Apple in the library under Masyaf and that Ezio's apple is a separate one.

nightcobra
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
There were supposed to be a lot, but they had too many time constraints and had to cut a bunch of stuff. Basically, everything we learn in TLA, and the end of the actually game. Desmond needing to go to Eden and/or the Grand Temple, and Lucy being killed b/c she was a Templar sleeper agent, and b/c she was a threat to Desmond saving the world from the solar flare. Oh, and that he awakened the sixth and is now fully in synch with his TWCB DNA, hence his arm glowing and communicating with the Apple when he wakes up. And I guess the big headliner revelation was that Altair kept his Apple in the library under Masyaf and that Ezio's apple is a separate one.

the whole thing with the nexus of time and jupiter talking with desmond got me thinking...what if an interface to use such a system exists in the grand temple?
basically something like the animus version of the first civilization, maybe even seeing the first civilization world through adam's eyes or even using it to create an hologram of himself (much like minerva and juno) to talk to lucy about this animus contraption enabling her to get the critical information needed to construct it, getting abstergo's eyes on her in the process aiding her with her infiltration as well as warn her as what is coming to pass with juno and to never reveal this knowledge to anyone aside from william miles who would orchestrate her funeral in order to get templars eyes off of her.

purely conjecture on my part but **** i'd love to see something like that:p

GLHS
07-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I don't think that'll happen lol. But an interface system used in a temple to relay more info to Desmond wouldn't be an impossibility. But, I'm pretty sure since he's fully awakened his TWCB DNA, he's in tune enough with his senses and with the Apple and their other devices that he could just "contact" them, in a way, through that. I don't think he needs any more than that. Any information that he gets from now on will probably be relayed through the Apple or another device that his DNA can commune with.

POP1Fan
07-21-2012, 05:16 PM

You made a God knows how many threads regarding issues CLEARED in the games, yet you don't get any revelation...mind blowing.Almost everything that was revealed in Revelations was already knew if you played all the games in depth, but if you knew about the 1000s of threads that were around here prior to Revelations or even before the announcement of Revelations you would see that not EVERYONE knew all the things about this game, and it was just to clear things up, or explain others like Lucy's death or who William M was or who truly was Subject 16.

Krayus Korianis
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
1. He heard his father when they picked him up and shoved him back into the Animus.
2. He heard his father while IN the Animus.
3. He knew what they had to do...

4. Well, you get it. OR you don't. Just stop asking that ****ed question.

POP1Fan
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
1. He heard his father when they picked him up and shoved him back into the Animus.
2. He heard his father while IN the Animus.
3. He knew what they had to do...

4. Well, you get it. OR you don't. Just stop asking that ****ed question.

5.He has a WORLD to save.

Krayus Korianis
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
5.He has a WORLD to save.

True. But he hasn't saved the world "yet".

Either way, if they don't get it, they're ^%#$%@@!#$@#$!@. :D

Felix-Vivo
07-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I think it would have been much more emotional for William than for Desmond, whenever William first saw his son again - I'm guessing in the instance that we hear his voice at the end of Brotherhood. Desmond was only sixteen years old when William last saw him. It would be weird to see his baby all grown up.

OriginalMiles
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Because of AC3's twist ending!!
Desmond's father is... Desmond!

RatonhnhakeFan
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Because of AC3's twist ending!!
Desmond's father is... Desmond!
****, this is better than "I'm your father Luke"

playassassins1
07-22-2012, 07:50 PM
It's because Desmond could already hear his father when he was in the Animus. So he already knew that his father was there.

and, Desmond just woke up from a coma, he KILLED lucy. He couldn't react that fast. He got f-ing traumatized....