PDA

View Full Version : Musical Progression of Assassin's Creed

im3jia
07-20-2012, 03:43 AM
With Kyd's absence, Kotaku takes a trip through the musical progression of the first four Assassin's Creed games.

http://kotaku.com/5927538/the-uncertain-musical-fate-of-assassins-creed

The songs mentioned are "Jerusalem" from AC; "Venice Rooftops," and "Home In Florence," from AC2; "Rome," and "Borgia Tower," from ACB; and "Assassin's Creed Theme" from ACR.

SixKeys
07-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Good selection of tracks. I think they should have included "City of Constantinople" from ACR as a comparison with the theme composed by Balfe. That would have really shown the different musical styles within the context of the same game. Kyd's track has that electronic, meditative quality with some traditional instruments thrown in for flavor, bringing to mind the balance between the old and modern times theme of the AC series. Balfe's theme is pretty and grandiose, but ultimately just that. It doesn't attempt to remind the audience of the modern day connections in the story at all. It's a piece that belongs firmly in the Hollywood blockbuster realm whereas "The City of Constantinople" has a more mysterious, unique feel to it.

Aphex_Tim
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Good selection of tracks. I think they should have included "City of Constantinople" from ACR as a comparison with the theme composed by Balfe. That would have really shown the different musical styles within the context of the same game. Kyd's track has that electronic, meditative quality with some traditional instruments thrown in for flavor, bringing to mind the balance between the old and modern times theme of the AC series. Balfe's theme is pretty and grandiose, but ultimately just that. It doesn't attempt to remind the audience of the modern day connections in the story at all. It's a piece that belongs firmly in the Hollywood blockbuster realm whereas "The City of Constantinople" has a more mysterious, unique feel to it.

This is exactly why i prefer Kyd's music over Balfe's.
Balfe could still prove me wrong though but i'm not getting my hopes up.
This video has some soundtrack from AC3 and i was already afraid it would sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBzaymLAgg&feature=player_embedded

Let's just hope he can do good background ambience as well.