PDA

View Full Version : Why is everybody so hyped up about free-aim?

LoyalACFan
07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I've seen MANY people asking whether there will be free-aim with the bow and guns, and my question is... why would you want it? What's the purpose of aiming for specific body parts? I mean, for a game like Red Dead Redemption, where you're able to capture enemies for bounties and such, I can understand why you'd want to kneecap an enemy and slow them down. But in AC, why would you want to do anything but shoot to kill? I thought maybe people would want free-aim for the extra challenge, but the ranged weaponry in AC is used primarily for strategic kills on stationary targets who don't usually get a chance to shoot back. That can't be much of a challenge, even in free aim.

MT4K
07-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Well you are supposed to be able to wound guards this time by shooting them in the leg or whatever with the bow which will make their friends come to check on them so you could technically run behind them in the now empty area they was for example.

Overall though yeah i imagine most people would just shoot to kill really.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Well you are supposed to be able to wound guards this time by shooting them in the leg or whatever with the bow which will make their friends come to check on them so you could technically run behind them in the now empty area they was for example.

Overall though yeah i imagine most people would just shoot to kill really.

But can't you just distract them in the same fashion with a dead body? Isn't that how he got on the boat in the Boston demo?

TheFrontLine
07-18-2012, 12:59 AM
A headshot is so much more satisfying...

naran6142
07-18-2012, 01:02 AM
if say shooting a guard in the leg causes him to limp then it would be cool

Lass4r
07-18-2012, 01:06 AM
In the words of the devs they are trying to support the fantasy than you can choose whether to kill or not, so you don't have to kill everyone you see. Being able to aim for the legs with the bow is one such thing. One of my issues with the games is exactly this, so I'm very glad they're adressing it. Its hard to feel like the hero when you're massacring the entire guardforce =/

Gregolian
07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I hope it has a lock system as true free aim with no assist can be a pain in the backside.

I also have to say that I hope there is an option when shooting the bow to look over the right shoulder. It's just what I am used to seeing in games and an over the shoulder on the left though I have played like that with Army of Two or Gears or Uncharted when needed I prefer over the right shoulder. Probably has to do with me being right handed myself.

BBALive
07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Freedom of choice, more depth to mechanics, different gameplay situations.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2012, 02:38 AM
if say shooting a guard in the leg causes him to limp then it would be cool

It would be a neat touch from a technical standpoint, for sure. But I guess I just don't see why people think it would be more fun from a gameplay perspective, since it doesn't really give you a tactical advantage... Eh. Difference of opinion, I suppose. Personally, I'd rather just shoot him dead and move on to the next one :p

Slayer_WTF
07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Because is it more fun to use manual aim.

Requiscent
07-18-2012, 03:52 AM
It would be a neat touch from a technical standpoint, for sure. But I guess I just don't see why people think it would be more fun from a gameplay perspective, since it doesn't really give you a tactical advantage... Eh. Difference of opinion, I suppose. Personally, I'd rather just shoot him dead and move on to the next one :p

It's as Alex said, people who only want to kill their targets and no one else can do that.

Personally, I don't mind. I tend to play games like GTA IV and RDR without auto-aim but I don't really care if they have it in ACIII. Ideally, there would be an option to have it on/off.

BBALive
07-18-2012, 04:32 AM
It's as Alex said, people who only want to kill their targets and no one else can do that.

Personally, I don't mind. I tend to play games like GTA IV and RDR without auto-aim but I don't really care if they have it in ACIII. Ideally, there would be an option to have it on/off.

I think you can just tap the tool button if you want to simply kill the enemy without aiming manually, but you can hold the button to aim for specific body parts or areas.

DreadxHawk
07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
I think it would be fun to have the option of where to shoot the person

eagleforlife1
07-18-2012, 07:29 AM
It gives the game a bit more freedom and a bit more of a challenge. I hated having the auto-lock system in previous ACs, which meant that you automatically hit and killed everything that you locked on to.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I think you can just tap the tool button if you want to simply kill the enemy without aiming manually, but you can hold the button to aim for specific body parts or areas.

That seems to be the case. You can see when he shoots the wolves in the frontier demo, he just fires from the hip without the conventional "lock, aim, fire."

EzioAssassin51
07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Also don't forget about hunting animals! Hitting them in the wrong place could make the animal's skin/hide less valuable

SixKeys
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
It might affect hunting as well. You can choose to aim for the body part that does the least damage to the animal's pelt, making it more valuable to sell, or just slow him down so you can get up close for a clean kill.

Noble6
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Well how can it be fun if you can't miss the target? It's just press button to kill enemy without freeaim. I'm gonna use only freeaim in the long range combat but I hope it won't automatically aim at enemy and only after then you can move the aim; that woldn't make sense except for "choose which bodypart you want to shoot"hurray!
:mad:

notafanboy
07-18-2012, 03:38 PM
why am i hiped up about free-aim ?. Because hitting a bear in the *** with an arrow isnīt going to kill it.

Alpha_SOLDIER_X
07-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Lol, and who doesn't want to ruin some adventurer guard dreams with an arrow in the knee?

BBALive
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I hope it won't automatically aim at enemy and only after then you can move the aim; that woldn't make sense except for "choose which bodypart you want to shoot"hurray!
:mad:

You're probably going to be disappointed. That is most likely going to be what happens.

Fine by me. As long as I can knee-cap people, I'm happy.

LightRey
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't get the hype about this either. Free-aim really seems pointless to me. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't get the appeal.