PDA

View Full Version : G-Wash's journal - anyone knows French?

RatonhnhakeFan
07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
It's French right? Could anyone translate? :D

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6825/journal1i.jpg | http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7682/journal3.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7233/journal2.jpg | http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/908/journal4.jpg

MetalCreed
07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Why is George Washington writing in French?

To communicate with the French?

TheFrontLine
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Why is George Washington writing in French?

To communicate with the French?

French version of GW's journal?

RatonhnhakeFan
07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
French version of GW's journal?But the video was in English, only the journal in French

TheFrontLine
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
But the video was in English, only the journal in French

I think that's the most probable idea, because it would be kind of... stupid to put in a couple pages in French in the English version (unless there are translations on the back or something if they are meaningful).

FirestarLuva
07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't think anyone's noticed, but the first page was written on july 15 1755 and the second one on march 15 1770. The years when Connor is born and when he joins the Order. Just wanted to point it out. :P

RatonhnhakeFan
07-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't think anyone's noticed, but the first page was written on july 15 1755 and the second one on march 15 1770. The years when Connor is born and when he joins the Order. Just wanted to point it out. :P
I did notice it but I wanted a translation to see if there's anything more to that, any clues xD

YRTEP
07-17-2012, 09:56 PM

I didn't notice, so... thanks man. ;)

NOLA_Assassin
07-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I thought he was born in 1750 or 53? Didn't they say the game would take place between 1753 to 1783? are we gonna play as his developing embryo? XD (i'm down)

BBALive
07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
I thought he was born in 1750 or 53? Didn't they say the game would take place between 1753 to 1783? are we gonna play as his developing embryo? XD (i'm down)

He was born in 1755.

greatgeek
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
So he joins the Assassins at 15? I have a hard time believing that. 1755 is probably when his village is destroyed during the French and Indian War.

FirestarLuva
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
So he joins the Assassins at 15? I have a hard time believing that. 1755 is probably when his village is destroyed during the French and Indian War.

I don't see a problem with him joining at the age of 15. Altair was born in the Order, so he probably joined at about the same age. :/

BBALive
07-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Ezio was only 17 when he became an Assassin, so it's not that far-fetched.

Anyway, his date of birth has already been confirmed.

http://i.imgur.com/xRjzh.jpg

YRTEP
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Back to topic.

Can anyone translate the pages?

greatgeek
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Ok then.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Back to topic.

Can anyone translate the pages?
Seems like we have no French on board :(

YRTEP
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Seems like we have no French on board :(
Only English and German. ****! :D

Vex_Assassin
07-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I can speak french, but I kinda have a hard time reading the text with the font they used and the quality of the image... I'll try my best.

YRTEP
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I can speak french, but I kinda have a hard time reading the text with the font they used and the quality of the image... I'll try my best.

Thanks. Don't hurry. ;)

Vex_Assassin
07-18-2012, 12:00 AM
The first letter means roughly this:

July 15th, 1755

Since the month of May, I am the camp helper of General Braddock. This English military man came to America in the beginning of the year to participate in the attack against the French. I was hoping I could learn from this experienced man how to lead an army to victory.
Unfortunately, he taught me how to make a disaster happen. We were surprised by the French and their Indian allies while we were crossing the Monongabela River. The British strategy was totally ineffective in this environment (forest). The French massacred us. The general got severely injured so I had to organize our retreat. We counted our troops: out of 1800 men, 458 were killed. I don’t know why I survived, I found 4 bullets in my coat and 2 horses were killed under me during the fight.

This is the text with the image of the soldier:
The wounds of General Braddock were too serious. One bullet went through his arm and finished in his lungs. He died on the 12th.

Not sure if its written 10 or 12 for the date of Braddock's death.

Requiscent
07-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Looks like it may be a 10 for me, either way great work! Too bad we couldn't get this, it seems like an interesting read.

Vex_Assassin
07-18-2012, 12:15 AM
The second letter translates roughly into this:

March 15th, 1770

I just heard about the massacre that happened in Boston. The irreparable happened: British soldiers fired on American civilians. The peace that we knew since 1760 suddenly became as shaky as an old blind dog.
The Americans feel exploited by the British crown. Already, many voices shout for the colonies to have a greater independence. Sir Benjamin Franklin writes beautiful articles and every day, they’re taking a greater place in the mind of the population.
I’m very happy in Mount Vernon; I am married to a beautiful woman, I harvest my land and I am a respected man in the Chamber of the Bourgeois of Virginia.
Will duty make me abandoned this joyful life for a new war?

The text with the Join or Die snake translates into this:

Benjamin Franklin published this drawing. The 10 pieces of the drawing symbolizes the 10 American States.
On the drawing, you can read “Join, or Die”. If you don’t assemble the 10 pieces together, the snake will die.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Thank you so much Vex! :D I wonder if these are real, historical journals of Washington?

Vex_Assassin
07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
My pleasure. They might actually be real letters that George Washington wrote, the devs said that they had a lot of written information on this time period.

kudos17
07-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Ratohnhake was no older than 21 when the war started... Mind blown :eek: He looks at least 30 in the trailers, maybe that's later in his life...

And thanks Vex, for translating. I wonder if George will be as calm in the game as he appears in the journal. He seems wise, if blunt. But that makes sense, given as that's how he actually was.

I also find it interesting he refers to his countrymen as "the Americans". He doesn't say "us". He speaks of the nation like he doesn't share their views, at least, not yet. He doesn't even want to fight in the war, but he says duty makes him. Is that a patriotic duty, or...?

That seems a very Assassin-like view, but maybe I'm just over-thinking things...

BBALive
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM

July 15th, 1755

Since the month of May, I am the camp helper of General Braddock. This English military man came to America in the beginning of the year to participate in the attack against the French. I was hoping I could learn from this experienced man how to lead an army to victory.
Unfortunately, he taught me how to make a disaster happen. We were surprised by the French and their Indian allies while we were crossing the Monongabela River. The British strategy was totally ineffective in this environment (forest). The French massacred us. The general got severely injured so I had to organize our retreat. We counted our troops: out of 1800 men, 458 were killed. I don’t know why I survived, I found 4 bullets in my coat and 2 horses were killed under me during the fight.

The wounds of General Braddock were too serious. One bullet went through his arm and finished in his lungs. He died on the 12th.

Oh wow, he's talking about Braddocks Expedition.

Requiscent
07-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Ratohnhake was no older than 21 when the war started... Mind blown :eek: He looks at least 30 in the trailers, maybe that's later in his life...

And thanks Vex, for translating. I wonder if George will be as calm in the game as he appears in the journal. He seems wise, if blunt. But that makes sense, given as that's how he actually was.

I also find it interesting he refers to his countrymen as "the Americans". He doesn't say "us". He speaks of the nation like he doesn't share their views, at least, not yet. He doesn't even want to fight in the war, but he says duty makes him. Is that a patriotic duty, or...?

That seems a very Assassin-like view, but maybe I'm just over-thinking things...

Well according to Game informer, he's going to be a uncertain about his role, especially since he believes his "rag tag" army stands no chance against the British. Perhaps Connor will be the one to give him the confidence he needs?

So far I'm liking what I'm reading, October can't come any faster.

TheFrontLine
07-18-2012, 01:46 AM
I don't think that's why he's writing in the nature he is considering the war has not even started, and he wasn't even chosen Major General yet.

Will_Lucky
07-18-2012, 01:48 AM

Game takes place from 1753-1783. He should be 28 when the game ends.

Requiscent
07-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Sure, but I meant more along the lines of lacking confidence in general, I just used his command over the army as an example. Washington probably feels as though things are spiraling out of control and feels he can't do anything about it. Of course it all too early to say just what is really going on, but thats the vibe I'm getting.

YRTEP
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM

July 15th, 1755

The second letter translates roughly into this:

March 15th, 1770

I just heard about the massacre that happened in Boston. The irreparable happened: British soldiers fired on American civilians. The peace that we knew since 1760 suddenly became as shaky as an old blind dog.
The Americans feel exploited by the British crown. Already, many voices shout for the colonies to have a greater independence. Sir Benjamin Franklin writes beautiful articles and every day, they’re taking a greater place in the mind of the population.
I’m very happy in Mount Vernon; I am married to a beautiful woman, I harvest my land and I am a respected man in the Chamber of the Bourgeois of Virginia.
Will duty make me abandoned this joyful life for a new war?

The text with the Join or Die snake translates into this:

Benjamin Franklin published this drawing. The 10 pieces of the drawing symbolizes the 10 American States.
On the drawing, you can read “Join, or Die”. If you don’t assemble the 10 pieces together, the snake will die.

Thank you very much, Vex_Assassin. :)

This pages are really interesting. I wonder if these are Washington's real journals?