PDA

View Full Version : Is combat TOO similar?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Okay, so this is something I noticed from the Boston demo...
Is the combat kinda umm....too similar?
I dont know, it just really felt like AC:B again, it was just constant streaks with a counter. Like AC:B and AC:R

yly3
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree. I learned to get used to the fact that we won't ever see a combat as "difficult" as in AC1 again, maybe from a reboot done by other studio. I expect te controls to be a bit different but don't expect anything significally diferent since ACB.
I expect other parts of the game to compensate, such as story, music, character development. I simply don't care about combat anymore, I'm sick and tired of it.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
The combat is promised too be difficult, actually :nonchalance:
I dont know, it just felt to similar that it left me kinda dis-appointed, I was extremely hyped for combat, just thinking about all the possibilities and how to master it, only too find Ezio with a short dagger, but as a Tomahawk /:

yly3
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
And btw anyone rememer the combat from PoP Warrior Within on medium ? Let alone hard. Holy cow ! I can't believe the same studio made both series

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
I found it easy .___.

yly3
07-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah right. Doing combos felt so rewarding. Think I'm gonna play the game again just for te memories.

If warrior within had easy combat then AC is comparable to casual smarphone games.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, AC can be compared to casual smartphone games in terms of difficulty.
Too be fair, I finished Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty, so it's hard for me too find anything hard xP

BBALive
07-15-2012, 04:05 PM
The combat is promised too be difficult, actually :nonchalance:
I dont know, it just felt to similar that it left me kinda dis-appointed, I was extremely hyped for combat, just thinking about all the possibilities and how to master it, only too find Ezio with a short dagger, but as a Tomahawk /:

Combat wasn't promised to be difficult. Alex Hutchinson said that difficulty isn't the focus, so they're trying to make mastering the system and killing all of your enemies fluidly the challenge.

And, no I don't believe it's too similar. Of course it's similar, the aim was never to completely alter the combat system, but it has been altered enough to be fresh.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Which is what most of us want to do, in the grand scheme making it more difficult.

itsamea-mario
07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
It may look similar, at least to you, but it's not similar. for one there's no unbreakable block button, you either counter, dodge or get hit.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Let us be honest, past 1 counter, you did not need to block. It looks awfully similar too Brotherhood, kind of a turn off, since they supposedly ''redesigned it from the ground up''

BBALive
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Let us be honest, past 1 counter, you did not need to block. It looks awfully similar too Brotherhood, kind of a turn off, since they supposedly ''redesigned it from the ground up''

Being rebuilt or redesigned from the ground up doesn't necessarily mean it's going to change a whole lot.

The controls are different, tools available at all times, completely new animation sets, new countering system, new combat moves, dual-wielding, animal combat, no blocking or turtling and a new health system seems like a redesign to me.

Visually it may look similar, but systemically it's very different.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
But it really seems like duel countering wont play much into the game.
Because if it is based on speed and momentum, does that not mean you will be streaking mostly?

MT4K
07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Because if it is based on speed and momentum, does that not mean you will be streaking mostly?

They will likely have archetypes that cannot be instant killed like that. For instance you have to use a guard break on the Scotsman and cannot kill him directly it seems (Although you can with the streaks). It seems like they will put lots of different archetypes in that can defend against different types of attacks.

BBALive
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM

I didn't even mention double counters.

Kill-streaks will obviously play a part, but I don't think they will be the focus of the combat system. The changes to enemy AI, the larger emphasis on guns and other things will force you to focus on more than just killing the first guy then streaking until they're all dead. I think when we actually get to play the game that we will discover how different combat feels to the player.

We don't know if any changes have to been made to streaks either.

Just wait until the game releases.

itsamea-mario
They will likely have archetypes that cannot be instant killed like that. For instance you have to use a guard break on the Scotsman and cannot kill him directly it seems (Although you can with the streaks). It seems like they will put lots of different archetypes in that can defend against different types of attacks.

Also i imagine the Scotsmen might be a bit more tricky in the real game.

HaSoOoN-MHD
But none of them defend against streaks. Nullifying any sort of additions because going for streaks is the best way, and we have been doing that for 2 games.

itsamea-mario
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
But none of them defend against streaks. Nullifying any sort of additions because going for streaks is the best way, and we have been doing that for 2 games.

It's a demo, they don't want it to drag out, or worse for the player to die. It's not a 100% accurate representation of the real game.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
But it is what we can judge by. I honestly think the reason they did not do streaks at E3 is because it would have looked to similar, but now with all the hype they are just showing the streaks.
Seriously, what the hell is the point of the duel counter?

BBALive
07-15-2012, 04:37 PM
But it is what we can judge by. I honestly think the reason they did not do streaks at E3 is because it would have looked to similar, but now with all the hype they are just showing the streaks.
Seriously, what the hell is the point of the duel counter?

So that they can allow enemies to attack simultaneously.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Wont matter much when you can streak. You will just counter one by one.

BBALive
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM

You're quite a close-minded person, you know.

Streaking doesn't make everything else in the game obsolete.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:41 PM
The Boston demo made it seem like it.
It just seems like we will be doing the same old thing we were doing for 2 games, I mean atleast do a better job at showing the new features...

itsamea-mario
07-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Oh will you? Since you clearly know so much about the game, care to tell us a few secrets?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh will you? Since you clearly know so much about the game, care to tell us a few secrets?

It looks obviously like that, when you start streaking, you wont really need too duel counter, since Connor seems too do it so fast.

MT4K
07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Well i presume you can get interrupted in the middle of animations like before. So they can ramp up the enemy attack intervals in the final game and have you need to pay attention properly.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Then duel countering may be a bit more useful, but my point still stands, we will be doing basically the same thing as the last 2 games.
Attack, kill, streak streak streak, maybe counter, streak streak streak.

WolfTemplar94
07-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Then duel countering may be a bit more useful, but my point still stands, we will be doing basically the same thing as the last 2 games.
Attack, kill, streak streak streak, maybe counter, streak streak streak.

Remember, the person playing the game, most of the time has a lot of experience. Besides, you say you claim you're really good at even the most difficult games, so maybe that's why it's too hard? This is a mainstream game, it's going to be fairly easy.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Too hard? o-o
What does difficulty have to do with it being similar? e.e
My point is it will feel like we are doing the same thing like in the other games, and the game claims being really fresh /:

freddie_1897
07-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I dont know if its similar because i havent played the frickin' game yet!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Based on what we have seen. It does not take a rocket scientist too figure that out -.-

MT4K
07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Based on what we have seen. It does not take a rocket scientist too figure that out -.-

But it does apparently take one to know how to reverse the usage of "to" and "too".

Even if the combat is similar does it really matter? If they put some complex mechanics in it might become extremely annoying for the more casual players to get used to it. They have a good fighting mechanic right now that is functional and fun and looks really cool.. How would you suggest they change it then?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
The casuals should not be accounted in everything. At this point, everybody is catering too the casuals...I mean come on, they are not stupid.
If the combat system was not so....streak dependent *???* it may feel more different. Maybe make it more about the strikes and counters rather than streaks.

WolfTemplar94
07-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Too hard? o-o
What does difficulty have to do with it being similar? e.e
My point is it will feel like we are doing the same thing like in the other games, and the game claims being really fresh /:

I meant to say too easy. But still, you were complaining about difficulty too. As for it feeling fresh, I think you probably have to play the game to judge properly.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I can only judge from footage, and at first, I liked that it was not all about streaks, more about striking and countering, now it just seems like deja vu.

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I think the game is too easy, it should be harder, it's too easy

TheFrontLine
07-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I can only judge from footage, and at first, I liked that it was not all about streaks, more about striking and countering, now it just seems like deja vu.

Then just counter and don't streak?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:48 PM
They want too make it ''harder to master'' but still easy too play through.
EDIT: The problem is it seems too support streaks more.

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I think it looks pretty different, I hope it's like AC1 again. In AC2 you just had to keep spamming the attack button until they died and the other 2 took no skill whatsoever. Hit a guy twice, execute him, chain that kill into many.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
AC1 was the hardest, which is not what they are going for. They want it easy too play, like, any casual could play it, but hard for you too master it.

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
its too easy! they need to change it!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
They wont do that. They want to keep casual appeal -___-

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:55 PM
i think they need to change it, cuz its too easy

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
But they wont. AC is a mass market game, they want it too be casually playable.

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
ya but its still too easy so they should change it

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Uhh...they wont. They really cant. For it to appeal, it needs too be made easy.

Turul.
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
no it doesnt cuz good players can still beat it, they shoudl change it

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
LoL

TheFrontLine
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Did you guys just repeat the same thing 3x?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I believe so o-o...

Turul.
07-15-2012, 06:03 PM
ya but i can do what i want im not breaking any rules so i should post whatever i want!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:08 PM
ya but i can do what i want im not breaking any rules so i should post whatever i want!

Obviously. If it is not breaking the rules, post what you want.

Turul.
07-15-2012, 06:09 PM
ya well im going to and everyone else can read it

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
ya well im going to and everyone else can read it

Yeah. Just like you read what others say, they read what you say.

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 06:22 PM
The combat looks like as if it will actually be addicting....I want to brutalize all that stand in my path !!!! >:")

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I want too do something new since 2 games -___-

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 06:28 PM
^ what ?!?!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
The combat seems very streak centric, same like the last 2 games.

BBALive
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Stop repeating **** you've said fifty freaking times, man. We know you think it looks too 'streak centric', you don't have to tell us again and again ad infinitum.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
He asked, I answered.

FL4PPYflap
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Dude, Ubisoft doesn't want to reveal all the new fresh things in the E3 footage and gameplay demos, they want save the majority of it for a surprise in the final version of the game. You're judging the combat based on something that will probably change. Like someone said before, the demos will be more accustomed to casual gamers, so the new players playing the demos won't be frustrated.

And about the dual counters, will we be limited to counter attacking only two enemies at once, or will we be able to counter say three or more at a time? Let's say three enemies attack you at once, will we be able to counter them all or will we just run an animation where kill only two of them? Or will Connor just stand there and get hit by all of them lol?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
...Connor is a human. How will he only three.
And those are the devs playing the demos. Pretty sure the devs are not ''casual''
The combat is something they are showing off in great pride. And it should be what I get the impressions off.

FL4PPYflap
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
...Connor is a human. How will he only three.
And those are the devs playing the demos. Pretty sure the devs are not ''casual''
The combat is something they are showing off in great pride. And it should be what I get the impressions off.

You just don't get that at E3, there are a bunch of horrible gamers playing the demos. Yes, the Devs played the demos that they designed to be easily playable for bad gamers. They just wanted to showcase Connor's badass-ness to attract new people to AC.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Then come the game they get their a** handed too them? that is like making a easy demo of Ninja Gaiden.

corbinmahieu
07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I understand the game needs to have a casual ( easy for the newies ) gameplay .. but why forget the ''hardcore fans'' and gamers who like to have a challenge. SO I HAVE A VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION ! ( and almost every other game has it ! ) -> HARD MODE . A gameplay option so the attacks of the templars do ''more'' damage and/or your health restores very very slow ! very simple....... So you will still be to kill lots of templars/streaks BUT there is the chance you will be killed by only 2 blows! --->this makes a good mode for a stealthy approach .....

it's a very easy option! but I don't think Ubisoft thought about it.

It's a option they can still easy put in the game before the release!

Peace out !

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 07:42 PM
That text is almost un-readable....
And they want too make this game harder too MASTER.
It is still easy, but you see, you want too be able too kill all of those guards fluidly?
That is hard. Or supposedly is.

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I have been reading your comments. and I must say your right. I understand the games needs to have a casual ( easy for the newies ) gameplay .. but why forget the ''hardcore fans'' and gamers who like to have a challenge. SO I HAVE A VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION ! ( and almost every other game has it! ) -> HARD MODE . A gameplay option so the attacks of the templars do ''more'' damage ! very simple. So you will still be to kill lots of guards BUT there is the chance you will be killed by only 2 blows! ---> this makes a good mode for a stealthy approach ..... it's a very easy option! but I don't think Ubisoft thought about it. SO! AS TRUE FANS WE NEED TO REMIND THEM OF THIS CONCEPT! SO LETS "RISE" and put lots of comments and topics about this idea! so they ''must'' read it!

Peace out !

Welcome to the forums and NO! no one here wants to be recruited to a nationalist cause provoked by something as small as a video game marketing scheme so arivaderci and buona fortuna weird and strange "rise" propaganda lol.

Calvarok
07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Differences:

no lock-on targeting, so you point connor in the direction you want him to attack,

there are two types of straight-up attacks, which affect different enemies differently,

When you counter an enemy, time slows down and you have the option to kill them, throw them, or dodge,

Enemies can both attack at the same time, which requires a double counter to avoid damage from,

If enemies are far away enough they will shoot at you, and then close distance, and if enemies are in large enough number, some will back up and then shoot, which can be dodged by grabbing a human shield,

Dual wielding at all times during combat,

regenerating health that only regenerates outside combat,

killstreaks don't appear to chain against certain enemies like the scotsman,

Controls in combat are the same as out of combat, which will hopefully make exiting and entering it more fluid,

You can attack enemies who are standing on a slightly higher level than you, or on a slope, and the animation will adjust to make that look nice.

There is only so little they can do, and so little they WANT to do to make it different. It's still a normal human fighting in a pretty realistic manner with mostly melee weapons in an assassin's creed game. If you were expecting god of war or Devil May Cry, I'm sorry. I personally think it looks quite different, and it's differences will become more apparent when people actually play it.

SteelCity999
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
In the narrated Boston demo, Alex says that you cannot heal yourself while in combat anymore and must lower you notoriety (or whatever system they are using) in order to heal. That will make is somewhat more difficult depending on who is playing and how sensitive the hit points are going to be. Obviously the devs make the game and can make it look incredibly simple but I'd probably say 80-90% of people playing AC are not that good at it either when you compare them to the devs demo play.

I personally didn't see much difference as of yet in how the AI attacks. They still mostly attacked 1 at a time just like in AC:R. You would think with muskets (with bayonets on them as well) that it would be more aggresive than it is.

corbinmahieu
07-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forums and NO! no one here wants to be recruited to a nationalist cause provoked by something as small as a video game marketing scheme so arivaderci and buona fortuna weird and strange "rise" propaganda lol.

Just wanted to ''add'' my opinion to the forums and so to the game dev. .. SO it could ''add'' something to the game.
But .... if most of the gamers and fans don't see the purpose in my idea. So be it.

And ? nationalist ? Just wanted to ''add'' something ''new gameplay'' to the game?! And was hoping that those last words could inspire other players to discus about it! = Sorry if you are feeling attacked. : )

AssassinGame1
07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Combat is slow, but there are a lot of flips and twirls, in my opinion looks pretty cool.

FirestarLuva
07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Dude, Ubisoft doesn't want to reveal all the new fresh things in the E3 footage and gameplay demos, they want save the majority of it for a surprise in the final version of the game. You're judging the combat based on something that will probably change. Like someone said before, the demos will be more accustomed to casual gamers, so the new players playing the demos won't be frustrated.

Will you be my friend?
No, seriously, people are judging what the combat is like after a few demos, who are actually pre-alpha. They want to keep most things secret and to add, we've just seen what the combat is like with tomahawk+knife, we've still haven't seen tomahawk+pistol, rope dart, rope dart+pistol, sword+knife, musket, etc. Stop making Ubisoft sound stupid as if they don't have enough sense to see that people want something new. -.-'

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Just wanted to ''add'' my opinion to the forums and so to the game dev. .. SO it could ''add'' something to the game.
But .... if most of the gamers and fans don't see the purpose in my idea. So be it.

And ? nationalist ? Just wanted to ''add'' something ''new gameplay'' to the game?! And was hoping that those last words could inspire other players to discus about it! = Sorry if you are feeling attacked. : )

No, do not try to act innocent buddy you are spreading a propaganda on people here to try to start chaos in a lash of some teenage anarchy skateboard rage. No body wants to join you. Your ideas could have been done in a more peacefully transmitted message that suggests your ideas not talking in a tone that seems that we are in it together "The true fans". We the fans have no obligation to anything. so you can leave with your "approach" to "spreading" your "ideas". Bye

corbinmahieu
07-15-2012, 08:46 PM
No, do not try to act innocent buddy you are spreading a propaganda on people here to try to start chaos in a lash of some teenage anarchy skateboard rage. No body wants to join you. Your ideas could have been done in a more peacefully transmitted message that suggests your ideas not talking in a tone that seems that we are in it together "The true fans". We the fans have no obligation to anything. so you can leave with your "approach" to "spreading" your "ideas". Bye

fair enough ... funny how you saw my post as a ''rage''. CHILL .... Peace out!

Grazel69
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
yeah and the part I wonder about the most is they said they rebuild the combat from the ground up
THEN WHY MAKE IT EXACTLY THE SAME!

Assassin_M
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
yeah and the part I wonder about the most is they said they rebuild the combat from the ground up
THEN WHY MAKE IT EXACTLY THE SAME!

Its not exactly the same..

It looks the same, but it isn't..

Read the GI article from march..

Grazel69
07-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Its not exactly the same..

It looks the same, but it isn't..

Read the GI article from march..

I don't know which one you are talking about but if it was on GI I probably read it and seeing as my opinion is still the same I guess it wasn't convincing at all.

also it IS the same
when you enter combat you go in a stance the NPC's surround you, if they attack you you counter, or you can attack first, both continue into killchains. Or you can just run away from battle

what I just described is exactly what combat in AC3 looks like to me and is exactly what combat in ACB/R is(of course count in the different utilities you could use for instance smoke bombs and whatnot)
So what else am I to think other than it's the same?

Assassin_M
07-16-2012, 12:57 AM
I don't know which one you are talking about but if it was on GI I probably read it and seeing as my opinion is still the same I guess it wasn't convincing at all.

also it IS the same
when you enter combat you go in a stance the NPC's surround you, if they attack you you counter, or you can attack first, both continue into killchains. Or you can just run away from battle

what I just described is exactly what combat in AC3 looks like to me and is exactly what combat in ACB/R is(of course count in the different utilities you could use for instance smoke bombs and whatnot)
Controls..

BBALive
07-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Will you be my friend?
No, seriously, people are judging what the combat is like after a few demos, who are actually pre-alpha. They want to keep most things secret and to add, we've just seen what the combat is like with tomahawk+knife, we've still haven't seen tomahawk+pistol, rope dart, rope dart+pistol, sword+knife, musket, etc. Stop making Ubisoft sound stupid as if they don't have enough sense to see that people want something new. -.-'

The fact that the demos are pre-alpha doesn't make a difference to combat outside of bugs and glitches. Also, you can only dual-wield weapons (main-hand weapon + knife), not tools. Pistols and rope-darts are tools. Tools can't be used as legitimate weapons like the tomahawk and knife.

Combat is slow, but there are a lot of flips and twirls, in my opinion looks pretty cool.

Slow? You're on crack.

The one thing it definitely is not is slow.

ProletariatPleb
07-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Also, you can only dual-wield weapons (main-hand weapon + knife), not tools. Pistols and rope-darts are tools. Tools can't be used as legitimate weapons like the tomahawk and knife.
False. You can very much use a combination of Tomahawk+Ropedart. I saw in one of the old E3 Boston Demos, Connor used the Ropedart to pull the guy(like Scorpion) and then hit him with the Tomahawk.

EzioAssassin51
07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
That text is almost un-readable....

You found the big, bolded text un-readable? Maybe you should look into getting glasses, or maybe your eyes are burning out of your skull for being on here for so long...

Anyway, people seem to forget something that has been pointed out forever... IT'S A GOD **** FREAKING DEMO!!!! it's gonna be easier and not reveal massive secrets the devs want you to find surprising!!

shobhit7777777
07-16-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm Batman

Mr_Shade
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm Batman

Hi I'm the Forum Manager - with the ban hammer - pleased to meet you..

ProletariatPleb
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi I'm the Forum Manager - with the ban hammer - pleased to meet you..
Owned :P
On-topic: All we can do is wait and watch..maybe something surprises us at Gamescom.

TheHumanTowel
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I think there is some significant changes being made. They may not have been totally the sort of changes I wanted but with the removal of the block button combat will be much more offense oriented. Past AC games were much more defensive where you're mostly just waiting for someone to attack so you can counter.This hopefully will strike a more even balance between offense and countering which would be great. Still my main gripe has always been the difficulty level and that seems to have remained unchanged so disappointed there.

BBALive
07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
False. You can very much use a combination of Tomahawk+Ropedart. I saw in one of the old E3 Boston Demos, Connor used the Ropedart to pull the guy(like Scorpion) and then hit him with the Tomahawk.

That wasn't him using the ropedart as an actual weapon, that was just with the use of the tool button (triangle).

He had the ropedart selected as the tool, and was dual-wielding the tomahawk and the knife.

ProletariatPleb
07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
That wasn't him using the ropedart as an actual weapon, that was just with the use of the tool button (triangle).

He had the ropedart selected as the tool, and was dual-wielding the tomahawk and the knife.
PC player, idk controller actions :P

You sure about that? I have a feeling it wasn't so.

MT4K
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
PC player, idk controller actions :P

You sure about that? I have a feeling it wasn't so.

He is right Sid. You dual wield the weapons and the tools are just always available for you as well but are a separate button. I guess it is like triple wielding :S. lol

BBALive
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM

also it IS the same

The combat 'looking' the same doesn't mean the combat works the same, or feels the same. Yes, on the surface it may look similar at times, but systemically it works a lot differently.

People seem to think that rebuilt from the ground up indicates that the combat system will look completely different. While that CAN be true, it isn't in this case. They already said that they still wanted it to feel like an Assassin's Creed game, hence the similarities.

However, if you would done some research, or analysed the footage more carefully, you would be able to see the differences in plain sight.

For one, the counter system is a lot different. When you counter an attack, time slows briefly, allowing you to press an additional button which dictates what you will do. That wasn't in previous games, and changes how counters work.

Secondly, blocking has been changed drastically. It is now mapped to the same button as counter, removing the ability to turtle or hold block indefinitely. As far as I know (this may be wrong, as nothing concrete has been confirmed regarding this), they've merged the two moves together, so countering an attack causes you to block it, which then transitions into the slow-down which allows you to follow up with a kill or any of the other options presented.

Obviously the health system overhaul plays a part in combat as well.

Having a tool available to you at all times is another new addition.

Dual-wielding is another obvious change.

Lock-on system has been altered.

And the control layout has been altered.

SixKeys
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't think the combat looks too similar. I mean sure, it's clearly the AC trademark style of fighting, but from what I've seen it looks fresh enough. In the GameSpot Boston demo the guy was clearly trying to use the old style combat by making Connor stand around blocking all the time, and nearly got his a$$ handed to him. I don't know if it was a different guy playing than before or if they wanted to demonstrate that the old style won't work anymore, but he was doing much worse than in all the other demos. To me that's a good sign. Connor has a lot of different fighting moves, a lot more than Ezio ever did. So even if the streak style from ACB is back, it doesn't feel like the same character.