PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 quits to desktop frequently

realthanny
07-15-2012, 06:17 AM
I got the Assassin's Creed series on Steam a short while back when it was on sale, and I'm now in the middle of game 2. It's much better than the original, but it has a nasty habit of quitting to the desktop randomly and frequently. It's not crashing, but quitting cleanly as if I had hit ALT-F4. Sometimes it happens immediately on launch, literally within a fraction of a second of clicking "Play".

I've seen some references to other people having this problem, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solution.

connor_bg
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Do you have any background programs running? Do you have gaming keyboard with extra keys bind to unknown actions? Do you have notifies for driver crashes? What is your sys spec and OS? I had this issue to, but its rare for me, and the issue persisted during tuscany territory.

realthanny
07-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Well, I may have a handle on what the problem is. The game, quite bizarrely, lets the mouse roam around the desktop while running full screen. With two monitors, you can sometimes see a consequence of that - if you happen to move in just the right way so that the cursor is over the bottom right of the primary monitor, where the Show Desktop button is in Windows 7, open windows transform into ghost outlines.

I normally have a bunch of virtual post-it notes on my second screen (to-do items for work, mostly), and frequently have a browser window open as well. When I hide/minimize all windows, I don't seem to get the quit-to-desktop problem. So under some circumstances, it seems the game is letting events get through to other windows as the mouse wanders around, and when this happens, it unceremoniously quits.

The upshot it, it looks to be a design flaw of the game, which may not manifest at all for most people.