PDA

View Full Version : How does the Hidden Blade's mechanism work?

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
In one of the novels it says that the Hidden Blade is unleashed via a button being pushed by flexing a certain muscle on the forearm, but the novels aren't exactly the same as the games. Also, various sources have shown the hidden blade to be extracted by a ring on the finger being pulled, but we never see this mechanism in the games. So, how does the mechanism of the Hidden Blade we see in the games work?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
It is really never revealed. Best way too describe is ''invisible mechanism''
Quite honestly, I just think Assassin's are so badass they flick the blade by their mind power.

JCearlyyears
07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
There isn't a visible mechanism. It is probably supposed to be a ring.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I choose to believe the ring explanation. You can't see it on the in-game models but it's in the concept art and it makes the most sense. Someone even made a working hidden blade using the ring method on youtube.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
But none of them have a ring on /:
Maybe a certain part of the bracer gets pushed when they flick their wrist?

Turul.
07-14-2012, 04:06 PM
i'd go with what the novel says,

though the whole concept doesnt really work in reality, it's what appears to happen in the games

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:08 PM
It could possibly be true. When they flick the wrist, a certain muscle hits a ''trigger'' and the blade extends.

reddragonhrcro
07-14-2012, 04:15 PM
It could possibly be true. When they flick the wrist, a certain muscle hits a ''trigger'' and the blade extends.

Possible but way to complicate to make and not 100% working case.Ring mechanic is more reliable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRR-b979QA

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:17 PM
True, ring is easier, but we do not see it on the characters. Altair had his finger chopped off -___-

reddragonhrcro
07-14-2012, 04:22 PM
True, ring is easier, but we do not see it on the characters. Altair had his finger chopped off -___-

Yeah...it remains a mystery...

itsamea-mario
07-14-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm looking at my left hand right now, and if i'm not mistaken i have 4 fingers plus one thumb...

Besides they never really put a lot of effort into explaining it in AC1, there were some pictures showing a partial glove type thing, seems it's work better than a ring.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Still, they cant just say Altair had magic so he was different.

itsamea-mario
07-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Still, they cant just say Altair had magic so he was different.

They did say some shizz about it reacting to muscles tensing or the sudden motion of flicking the wrist. but in reality these wouldn't work.
This is one of those occasions were all we can say is "it's a game".

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Blah, I believe they all are so badass that the blades just know when to flick.

MT4K
07-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Wasn't there a video once released that showed the mechanism of the hidden blade in action from AC1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPRO4jQvtg&feature=player_detailpage#t=26s

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Honestly, that is VERY old footage, that is probably not something to go by.

itsamea-mario
07-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Wasn't there a video once released that showed the mechanism of the hidden blade in action from AC1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPRO4jQvtg&feature=player_detailpage#t=26s

Yeah, but that video shows a button being used, and we know that's not the case.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Yep, and if you see the way he has the blade out, that is some really old concept.
Hell, Altair looks like a midget.

MT4K
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I was just listing it as a possible example.. Not fact :-/. Plus it being CGI rules it out really, but it is cool all the same :P.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:48 PM
That footage looks so old....
Almost nothing like the game.

MT4K
07-14-2012, 04:55 PM
That footage looks so old....
Almost nothing like the game.

Sorry for wasting your time with a useless post then....

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
It really is not a time waste, actually, kinda interesting to see where we are now.

Lonesoldier2012
07-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Altair pulled a ring and his popped out. And Ezio's was controlled by an internal button by flexing his forearm.

Black_Widow9
07-15-2012, 01:27 AM
The AC Encyclopedia says:
EARLY BLADES
When Altair wielded his Hidden Blade during the 3rd Crusade, he did so in the traditional manner followed by all members of the Brotherhood. The blade sat on a spring-loaded mechanism operated by a ring cuff attached to the little finger. This cuff triggered a switch that allowed an Assassin to quickly extend or retract the blade with a simple flick of the wrist.

RENAISSANCE BLADES
The Hidden Blade was eventually redesigned by Altair...Ezio inherited his father's Hidden Blade and had it repaired and modified by Leonardo da Vinci. These new weapons had been altered for greater stealth, and thus the ring cuff switch had been removed to make them less recognizable. Instead the mechanism was operated by a pressure switch inside the bracer, which could be depressed by flexing the wrist to extend or retract the blade. The loss of a finger was also no longer required.

MODERN BLADES
Desmond Miles also used the Hidden Blade. His first blade was an unmodified weapon similar to Ezio's. Desmond later used a simplified version, which consisted only of the blade, its mechanism and a leather harness. This light blade was as versatile as Ezio's.

There you go. ;)

MrDynogames
07-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Thank you very much

Assassin_M
07-15-2012, 02:07 AM
The AC Encyclopedia says:
EARLY BLADES
When Altair wielded his Hidden Blade during the 3rd Crusade, he did so in the traditional manner followed by all members of the Brotherhood. The blade sat on a spring-loaded mechanism operated by a ring cuff attached to the little finger. This cuff triggered a switch that allowed an Assassin to quickly extend or retract the blade with a simple flick of the wrist.

RENAISSANCE BLADES
The Hidden Blade was eventually redesigned by Altair...Ezio inherited his father's Hidden Blade and had it repaired and modified by Leonardo da Vinci. These new weapons had been altered for greater stealth, and thus the ring cuff switch had been removed to make them less recognizable. Instead the mechanism was operated by a pressure switch inside the bracer, which could be depressed by flexing the wrist to extend or retract the blade. The loss of a finger was also no longer required.

MODERN BLADES
Desmond Miles also used the Hidden Blade. His first blade was an unmodified weapon similar to Ezio's. Desmond later used a simplified version, which consisted only of the blade, its mechanism and a leather harness. This light blade was as versatile as Ezio's.

There you go. ;)
/thread

Locopells
07-15-2012, 02:35 AM
MODERN BLADES

When did he get a new one? I thought he was still using Ezio's minus, the bracer?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 04:58 AM
I KNEW IT WAS A SWITCH! :D
Thanks Black o;
And there is no way he has Ezios bracer, that was destroyed in Rome.

SoullessKassidy
07-15-2012, 05:01 AM
thought these images released ways back answered it?

http://images.wikia.com/eraofrevantwo/images/5/5c/AC_Hidden_Bade.jpg

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 05:03 AM
That's old concept. And there is no ring on our Assassin's.

LoyalACFan
07-15-2012, 07:07 AM
It's just a game, they can explain it however they want. The encyclopedia says it requires a muscle flex, but I prefer to think it's a ring. And for those saying "there's no visible ring on his finger", well, there wasn't a strap holding Ezio's crossbow on his back either. But it still worked. It's video game physics :p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
The encyclopedia is always right :nonchalance:
It was only in Altair's time that they needed a finger.

MT4K
07-15-2012, 09:58 AM
The encyclopedia is always right :nonchalance:
It was only in Altair's time that they needed a finger.

Actually it isn't. Sima has said that there are some mistakes inside the Encyclopaedia :P.

I imagine it is right about this stuff though :) I should have thought about looking at my copy :D.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Sima is a living encyclopedia himself, Ubisoft should just make copies of him :nonchalance:

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
It's just a game, they can explain it however they want. The encyclopedia says it requires a muscle flex, but I prefer to think it's a ring. And for those saying "there's no visible ring on his finger", well, there wasn't a strap holding Ezio's crossbow on his back either. But it still worked. It's video game physics :p

I'm sure there was a leather belt around his torso that it clipped onto.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I checked the AC:B character model, cant spot anything..
Mind providing pics?

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.mydaily-gadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/assassins_creed_brotherhood_copernicus.jpg

Those brown leather strap things.

TheFrontLine
07-15-2012, 06:14 PM
http://www.mydaily-gadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/assassins_creed_brotherhood_copernicus.jpg

Those brown leather strap things.

All I see is it floating.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
They are still sort of floating tho. As you can see nothing attacking the Crossbow to them.

Acrimonious_Nin
07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
The crossbow has an attachment that allows it to "stick" to the back of the wielder. >_>

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-15-2012, 06:36 PM
That is not humanly possible. Specially not in the 15th century.

xX_V3N3M0U5_Xx
07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
That is not humanly possible. Specially not in the 15th century.

Look on the back of it. Theres a small little clip thingy.

AjinkyaParuleka
12-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Possible but way to complicate to make and not 100% working case.Ring mechanic is more reliable.

has anyone tried to make this?

rocketxsurgeon
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
I have always wondered the mechanics behind the hidden blade.

I just assument it was the movement and the flick of the wrist that triggered it.

dewgel
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm never really bothered about the way they get it out, I'm more concerned as to how it remains so well attached to their arms. Something simply attached to your wrist with a strap like that wouldn't give you enough force to impale people's skulls or chests, you'd break your arm haha.

Remember : It's a game!

Assassin_M
12-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I made one....2 years ago....removed the steel blade and replaced it with a plastic knife then gave it to my little brother for his Birthday last year.....It`s broken now :|

Rest in Peace my love

LoyalACFan
12-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm never really bothered about the way they get it out, I'm more concerned as to how it remains so well attached to their arms. Something simply attached to your wrist with a strap like that wouldn't give you enough force to impale people's skulls or chests, you'd break your arm haha.

Remember : It's a game!

That's why I like Connor's little swivel knife so much better :)

AjinkyaParuleka
12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I made one....2 years ago....removed the steel blade and replaced it with a plastic knife then gave it to my little brother for his Birthday last year.....It`s broken now :|

Rest in Peace my love
You still know how you made one?I'd love some instructions lol.

tlgeer
12-26-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't know how the mechanism works either, but it would be interesting to find out.

I just got a catalog today from Museum Replicas Limited (http://www.museumreplicas.com). (It's one of my wish books!) It has 2 pages of Assassins Creed II replica's. The extension knife, which is what I think that you are talking about, is part no. 883029. Most of the weapons are high carbon steel.

I wish I had room to display them.

What Assassin's Creed books are all of you talking about? I have just started playing ACII and love it. Should I stay away from the books since there are differences from the game?

BigredInfinity
01-09-2014, 09:40 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vzgIue97tW4/TDVgCV0RB-I/AAAAAAAAACQ/g21CaHh5trI/s1600/AssassinsCreedBladeMechanism1.jpg this should suffice.

lothario-da-be
01-09-2014, 09:44 PM
So it does work with a ring, hmm interesting.

Shahkulu101
01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
NEWSFLASH: Hidden Blade not real, Assassin's Creed is video game.

phoenix-force411
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
If you really want a Hidden blade, put a ring on it! :-D

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 10:05 PM
If you really want a Hidden blade, put a ring on it! :-D

All the single bladies... now put your hands up

I'm sorry

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
All the single bladies... now put your hands up

I'm sorry

Go to your room.

Shahkulu101
01-10-2014, 12:01 AM
First time I've had a laugh here in ages lol

ACRules2
01-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Thanks to this thread I finally know how those things work!

MustaviSadi
10-18-2015, 01:10 PM
The ring is well hidden. Edward was lying in the novel, then. To make the hidden blade look magical. Besides, if the ring mechanism is chosen, it has to be worn on the ring finger. Altair's left ring finger may have been chopped off, but he used another finger in its place for the ring. He designed the mechanism.

Wherever the ring is worn, a flick of the wrist with speed and force is required to pull the ring and deploy or retract the blade itself.

HDinHB
10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
See people? A one year necro is nothing...

ze_topazio
10-18-2015, 09:13 PM
It just works.

SenseHomunculus
10-19-2015, 04:31 PM
When Leonardo fixes Ezio's version of the blade, he says re: the user cutting off a finger: "though the blade once required a sacrifice, it's been modified." (https://youtu.be/AJHW7BnOtnU?t=1m49s)

Either he was just guessing based on the plans document he examined, OR it was indicated by something specific in the design.

Also, his passive language, "it's been modified," is very interesting. Modified by WHO??? :eek:

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 04:37 PM
When Leonardo fixes Ezio's version of the blade, he says re: the user cutting off a finger: "though the blade once required a sacrifice, it's been modified." (https://youtu.be/AJHW7BnOtnU?t=1m49s)

Either he was just guessing based on the plans document he examined, OR it was indicated by something specific in the design.

Also, his passive language, "it's been modified," is very interesting. Modified by WHO??? :eek:

Altair. He says so in the Codex page.

SenseHomunculus
10-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Altair. He says so in the Codex page.

Oh. Well, YOU'RE no fun....

BioniCFisH
10-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Im not sure but ive heard rumors of preassure plates that trigger when you flick the wrist in the game

Junki3 Slay3r
10-29-2015, 08:40 PM
In one of the novels it says that the Hidden Blade is unleashed via a button being pushed by flexing a certain muscle on the forearm, but the novels aren't exactly the same as the games. Also, various sources have shown the hidden blade to be extracted by a ring on the finger being pulled, but we never see this mechanism in the games. So, how does the mechanism of the Hidden Blade we see in the games work?

I like to think that there is a flap/pedal mechanism that is located just above the wrist. This flap/pedal mechanism is triggered by the wrist movement that you noted as a "wrist flick" it is puhed up and this triggers the blade(s) to be unleashed. When the blade is unleashed, it can be concealed once again by a "wrist flick". As some have seen, the blade Connor Kenway wields when he is in battle seems to detatch. This is not so. He simply has a bottom flap/pedal, that is triggered the same way as it's twin, and this unlocks what I call a tether mode, allowing Connor to freely whip the blades around, tethered to the vambrace. This mode allows Connor to move freely to strike with his blades, this mode is similar to a cop using his/her tonfa. Don't know what a tonfa or vambrace is? Look it up, I already explained everything else... :)

MustaviSadi
12-31-2015, 11:27 AM
When Edward flicks his wrist, the blade deploys. Again, when it retracts, he flicks his wrists again. The same thing is done with a ring triggered hidden blade.

Coincidence? I don't think so. (Don't worry. It's not that Illuminati crap.)

Also, a flick of the wrist hidden blade would activate at the slightest flick of the muscle which would press the button to deploy or retract the blade. That would accidentally kill someone or the user.

The ring-triggered mechanism is actually a safety feature that prevents this.

Sambo989
08-10-2016, 08:48 AM

ME WANTS IT, no, ME NEEEEEEEEEEEDS IT!!!!!!!!!

cawatrooper9
08-10-2016, 05:14 PM
ME WANTS IT, no, ME NEEEEEEEEEEEDS IT!!!!!!!!!

Pretty cool.

I got a plastic replica hidden blade for my Halloween costume last year and kept accidentally kept releasing it and stabbing myself in the wrist. Pretty sure this thing would actually kill me.

Sl3nderman27
07-03-2017, 11:20 PM
The answer is lengthy but pretty easy to follow so read carefully. The original hidden blades had a mechanism that had to do with something like a string on the pinky finger of the wearers hand. Darius the assassin that killed King Xerxes I is said to be the first to use a hidden blade. Soon a flaw was discovered in the blade it would cut the ring finger of the wearer so it became tradition to cut it off during initiation. That made assassins to identifiable Altair was the last assassin to do it that way he had them modified so that it didn't have to be that way. If you look closely at all the games where Altair or Ezio are played you will see Altair is the only one with his ring finger missing. The next mechanism involved a flick of the wrist which I believe Ezio had. Soon thereafter they were modified to some unknown mechanism that involved no movement. Eventually pivot blades were made which when extended could be used like a dagger by simply pivoting the blade itself. Yes I know that I'm a few years late but I felt it absolutely necessary to answer your question

rob.davies2014
07-07-2017, 05:26 AM
^^^ that was definitely worth reviving the thread for

Sl3nderman27
07-07-2017, 05:54 PM
^^^ that was definitely worth reviving the thread for
Yeah I'm glad to be of service a lot of this can be found at the assassins creed wiki if you want to learn more