PDA

View Full Version : Where's the South?

PuppyWulf
07-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Like many fans, I have been closely following any and all information I can find on Assassin's Creed III. And with the new missions, awesome story, an original and promising new protagonist, there is no doubt that come October we will get another game with Ubisoft's traditional high level of quality. Then I got to thinking, the game, similar to American history textbooks, focuses on the New England Colonies, to the extent that the Southern Colonies such as Virginia and the Carolinas are hardly mentioned. This would hardly be any sort of issue if the game focused on the early years of the war, up to say 1775 or '76, because nearly every important person and event was in New England. But Assassin's Creed III's narrative is supposed to last until the year 1783 when the American Revolution ended. That being said, I don't see why Ubisoft seems to have left out the Southern Colonies when the most important strategic events in the war occurred in the South. Things like the Siege of Charleston (then Charles Town), SC in 1780 which was the single largest defeat and mass surrender by American forces in the war; which also led directly to the 1780 Waxhaws Massacre which was one of central rallying cries of the colonists for the remainder of the war. Not to mention the 1778 British capture of Savannah, Georgia and of course the most decisive American Victory of the war at Yorktown, Virginia that led to the eventual Treaty of Versailles of 1783 that ended the whole war.
On top of that the Colonial hero Francis Marion, who was one of the earliest known users guerrilla warfare and whose fighting style was very similar to that of the Assassin Order, who operated almost exclusively out of the South Carolina back country.

I'm just curious as to how, with all of the deep and detailed research that Ubisoft always does on Assassin's Creed Games, that it seems that they are taking the same approach to the Revolution as American High school history books and showing the New England colonies almost exclusively and sweeping the entire southern campaign under the rug. It's just not like Ubisoft to leave what is, in my opinion, a massive oversight in the creation of such a monumental game.

Calvarok
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM
This game is not about the entirety of the American Revolution. It is about a story about an Assassin who lived in that time period. He was not in every place at once. He was not in every battle. He was mainly in the Boston/new york area, as far as we can tell. Things like important battles that happened elsewhere will probably be mentioned similarly to how they were in previous games, through town criers and character dialogue.

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM
The Revolution is not the main center plot, the Main plot is still the Assassin-Templar War with some of the war`s events as back-story.

Most likely these events will be mentioned, but Connor wont be directly involved in them..

EDIT: Amazing how this post and the one above are exactly the same using different wording xD

notafanboy
07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
iŽd be very boring if theyŽd just vomit a bunch of historical events "just because"

Acrimonious_Nin
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Battles within the American revolution time period, will be mentioned while the Assassin protagonist will have a much greater emphasis to the real story line. Mainly this will collapse on the matter within the inner struggle of the Assassins and Templar ideology and goals.

TheFrontLine
07-14-2012, 12:24 AM
It could be possible you will visit other places for the story, but won't be allowed to free roam, or have limited free roam, whilst there.
EXAMPLES: Rome in AC2; Cappadocia(TY, Assassin_M for the name) in ACR; battlefield of a Crusade battle in AC.

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 12:26 AM
It could be possible you will visit other places for the story, but won't be allowed to free roam ,or have limited free roam, whilst there.
EXAMPLES: Rome in AC2; that cave place that I forgot the name of in ACR; battlefield of a Crusade battle in AC.
Correction, you can free roam in that cave place..

Acrimonious_Nin
07-14-2012, 12:28 AM
What cave ??

Assassin_M
What cave ??
Cappadocia.

TheFrontLine
Correction, you can free roam in that cave place..

Yeah, that's why I put "limited free roam" after I realized my mistake :P. Though that may not have been portrayed as I have hoped.

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that's why I put "limited free roam" after I realized my mistake :P. Though that may not have been portrayed as I have hoped.
the whole city is free roam-able, I`d say that's pretty full free roam. what else do you want ? the mountains ? xD

rileypoole1234
07-14-2012, 12:50 AM
This game is not about the entirety of the American Revolution. It is about a story about an Assassin who lived in that time period. He was not in every place at once. He was not in every battle. He was mainly in the Boston/new york area, as far as we can tell. Things like important battles that happened elsewhere will probably be mentioned similarly to how they were in previous games, through town criers and character dialogue.

This

The Revolution is not the main center plot, the Main plot is still the Assassin-Templar War with some of the war`s events as back-story.

Most likely these events will be mentioned, but Connor wont be directly involved in them..

EDIT: Amazing how this post and the one above are exactly the same using different wording xD

and this were the only replies needed. The south will without a doubt be at least mentioned.

TheFrontLine
07-14-2012, 12:55 AM
the whole city is free roam-able, I`d say that's pretty full free roam. what else do you want ? the mountains ? xD

BUT ONLY FOR A CERTAIN WHILE. I will defend my horrid wording no matter what!

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble..

You can go back to it after finishing the story:p

Im so sorry

rileypoole1234
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM

Well now you're just wrong. M is right.

TheFrontLine
07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble..

You can go back to it after finishing the story:p

Im so sorry
WEFRDGTHJY. God dammit.

ShaneO7K
07-14-2012, 01:05 AM
WEFRDGTHJY. God dammit.

Indeed.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 03:08 AM
It is just a back drop, Connor is not a god. He cannot be everywhere.

PuppyWulf
07-15-2012, 12:23 AM
I have to say, this is one of the most efficient forums I have ever been on! Everyone has given me helpful answers, many making points I didn't think of myself. So thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Locopells
07-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Don't worry, it'll pass...