PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing Altair (20 year exile) *Spoilers*

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm sure you all know that after the coup that Abbas pulled in Masyaf which resulted in the death of Malik, Sef and Maria, Altair took his elder son, his daughter-in-law and his Grandchildren and fled Masyaf heading towards Alamut in Iran.

At that time, there existed an Assassin stronghold there, which is where Altair and his remaining family stayed. Now a lot of events had occurred that greatly altered Altair`s character and thought.This thread will analyze what type of changes Altair may have gone through using various researches in history, Novel events and In-game hints.

1-Time Period:

Altair left Masyaf in 1228 and presumably arrived at Alamut during the same year. That time in Alamut was a time of both flourish and war as the Invading Mongols began to make advances. Under the leadership of Imam 'Ala al-Din Muhammad, the need for an Imam to constantly guide the community according to the demands of the times was emphasized. Intellectual life and scholarship flourished under the rule of Imam 'Ala al-Din Muhammad. The Nizari libraries were invigorated with scholars from across Asia, fleeing from the invading Mongols. Among these intellectuals, some, including Naṣīr al-Din Tusi, were responsible for important contributions to Ismaili thought towards the end of the Alamut period. Having written on the topics of astronomy, philosophy, and theology, Tusiís notable contributions to Ismaili thought include Rawdat al-Taslim (Paradise of Submission), which he composed with Hasan-i Mahmud Katib, and Sayr va Suluk (The Journey), his spiritual autobiography. Following his two major ethical works, al-Tusi studied under the patronage of the Ismaili Imam at the Alamut library.

Now this works how ? Altair had the Apple at that time and he may have influenced the philosophers and researchers there with his Knowledge that was gained from the Apple, so Altair actually may have had a great deal of impact on the Nizari Assassins of Alamut.

2-Character:

Altair fled Masyaf in a state of grief over the Murder of his Best friend and adviser, and his wife and son. that changed to a long struggle with depression distracted only by his constant obsession with the Apple of Eden and his Codex. Now the only sources we have for Altair`s character development are present in the Novel and the Codex, sure we know how he changed, but not the process of how he changed. Altair was a hard man. Cold and capable and had many emotions killed to make way for his Assassin duties. After the death of Almualim, Altair greatly changed the Ideology of the creed, which in turn altered his character somewhat. He no longer thought emotions were trivial and may hold back, but worked to strengthen them in the Assassins and in his own home among his family.

Now I'm sure a man such as this was greatly devastated by the loss of his loved ones, because his family was most likely the only source of emotion for him. a slight hint of his devastation was shown in the final Memory during Assassins Creed Revelations when he was recalling his time in Alamut, he was having Hallucinations and was speaking to Maria as if she was still alive. This state drove the rest of his family away, but Altair didn't seem to care thus showing a new trait which was hopelessness or at the very least an escape from reality by burying himself in the studies of the Apple.

3-Over all:

​Altair was reduced from a Great Master Assassin leader to an old man who sleeps by a well. This experience greatly humbled Altair to a greater extent it also managed to allow him to see the bigger picture of the Templar conflict due to the Apple and Memory seals. It also made him one of the greatest Philosophers, Inventors and scientists of that time, but it nonetheless was at the cost of his loved ones which negatively impacted his social life and brought out Cynicism, mental illnesses and depression..

Feel free to add any information or detail you felt was missing and needed Addressing (Ha ha that Rhymes)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I may sound kind nit picky here, but quite honestly I think he gave the ''cold'' impression because his voice actor sucked.
But that out of the way: I think this is quite spot on.

LightRey
07-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Very good analysis. I would like to point out though that at some point near the end of this period, AltaÔr managed to find the kind of resolve to take back Masyaf.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Very good analysis. I would like to point out though that at some point near the end of this period, AltaÔr managed to find the kind of resolve to take back Masyaf.

I think what he was looking for was in a way...forgiveness. He was looking to seal what he was unable too years ago, I think he felt guilty by not exiling Abbas long ago.

Sarari
07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I listened to "Legendary" by Hans Zimmer while reading the last 2 paragraphs, it really made it sound more mysterious and cool and pitiful.

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I listened to "Legendary" by Hans Zimmer while reading the last 2 paragraphs, it really made it sound more mysterious and cool and pitiful.
I did that too after finishing it xD

Only thing is that I listened to the ACR main theme:p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Chase Theme in AC1 takes a dump on all :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Chase Theme in AC1 takes a dump on all :nonchalance:
Anyways xD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
As I said, I think he did it too get rid of his guilt. He feels that it is his fault, as he did not exile Abbas long ago, all of this would have not happened.

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
As I said, I think he did it too get rid of his guilt. He feels that it is his fault, as he did not exile Abbas long ago, all of this would have not happened.
Indeed..

So a great deal of his depression was in big part due to his Guilt and regret..

very good.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Indeed..

So a great deal of his depression was in big part due to his Guilt and regret..

very good.

What...did I just hear Assassin_M himself not tutor me on grammar and actually say very good?!
THE WORLD IS ENDING!

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
What...did I just hear Assassin_M himself not tutor me on grammar and actually say very good?!
THE WORLD IS ENDING!
I don't like to be repetitive :p

And you seem to miss the Assassin_M that corrects your grammar, you want him back ?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't like to be repetitive :p

And you seem to miss the Assassin_M that corrects your grammar, you want him back ?

No, not really...not at all xD

Felix-Vivo
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Interesting read! Thankee much for posting.

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
No, not really...not at all xD
Thought so:o

One thing I forgot to mention was his discovery of the seals in Alamut, which may have brought him to the same conclusion as Ezio that he is merely a pawn in a greater cause..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
What I also add onto that, the views that the Apples showed him, they were all the nail in the coffin of revealing what is his purpose.

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 03:02 PM
What I also add onto that, the views that the Apples showed him, they were all the nail in the coffin of revealing what is his purpose.
Yeah, probably changed his mindset a huge lot along the way..

Interesting read! Thankee much for posting.

You`re welcome:D

Feel free to add anything I may have missed..

MT4K
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
That's a really good post and analysis M :D. How long did it take you to gather all that and write it out? :D

rileypoole1234
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Great analysis M. Altair is seemingly such an emotionless man when you look on the surface, but when you dig deeper you find the tragic story of a man who lost everything. M I'm glad you said that about the seals in Alamut, you always beat me to it.:o

Assassin_M
07-13-2012, 09:07 PM
That's a really good post and analysis M :D. How long did it take you to gather all that and write it out? :D
The only part that took an extended time was the historical bits. I also had to read the codex from the point of his exile and try to sum out his discoveries and mindset in there.:D

Great analysis M. Altair is seemingly such an emotionless man when you look on the surface, but when you dig deeper you find the tragic story of a man who lost everything. M I'm glad you said that about the seals in Alamut, you always beat me to it.:o

Indeed, his deep story and development combined with so little amount of screen time was what compelled me to make this analysis.
and Thanks about the seals:p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Altair had little screen time? .___.
He had quite a bit of it.
Also, again, I am pretty sure the reasons he feels so empty is how bad his voice actor was, but that is another rant for another day.
I think you pretty much covered everything about Altair, right now. I think of him as a turtle, on the outside, it is just so plain, on the inside, you really see alot more.

WolfTemplar94
07-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Also, again, I am pretty sure the reasons he feels so empty is how bad his voice actor was, but that is another rant for another day.
I think you pretty much covered everything about Altair, right now. I think of him as a turtle, on the outside, it is just so plain, on the inside, you really see alot more.

You've seen the inside of a turtle? :confused:

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah.
Dont ask.

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Compared to Ezio, Altair had the shorter amount of screen-time. His game was the shortest and he appeared for roughly an Hour in Revelations, also the rest of his games are hand -held ones so..

His voice acting is pretty subjective; I think Shahbaz and Cas did great in both Renditions..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Compared to Ezio, Altair had the shorter amount of screen-time. His game was the shortest and he appeared for roughly an Hour in Revelations, also the rest of his games are hand -held ones so..

His voice acting is pretty subjective; I think Shahbaz and Cas did great in both Renditions..

But still, I wont call it ''little screen time''
Shahbaz was trolling. I am sure of it, dude, his accent...in the Crusades....as a Syrian...
What?

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Shahbaz was trolling. I am sure of it, dude, his accent...in the Crusades....as a Syrian...
What?
They did it on purpose, surely you do not think they`d let him do whatever he pleases, right ?

This was explained in the story as making whats most important for Desmond as clear and Coherent as possible in the Animus, also evident by Al mualim`s obvious lack of a decent Middle-eastern Accent.

TheHumanTowel
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
What?
If i remember rightly he wanted to do a middle-eastern accent but Ubisoft told him to do an American one. Anyway It didn't make any difference to me and I thought he did a great job.
Also great post M.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Then why was everybody else accented? :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Then why was everybody else accented? :nonchalance:
Like I said, they only made clear what was most important for Desmond..

Say a Merchant for a example, "Tired of never finding anything useful at the other merchant stalls ? That wont happen here" What relevance does this sentence have to Vidic and/or Desmond ? Nothing

If i remember rightly he wanted to do a middle-eastern accent but Ubisoft told him to do an American one. Anyway It didn't make any difference to me and I thought he did a great job.
Also great post M.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Then why did Ezio have a Italian accent and well...everybody.
Honestly, I have a strong opinion on why, but I dont feel like getting a warning and getting a great thread locked.

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Then why did Ezio have a Italian accent and well...everybody.
Honestly, I have a strong opinion on why, but I dont feel like getting a warning and getting a great thread locked.
Because Its a different Animus. Rebecca explained that the software was still a bit laggy.

So while The Animus 2.0 had more advanced tech, Animus 1.28 had superior translation software..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Dont know why, sounds kinda like a cheap excuse...
But oh well, at the very least that got somewhat redeemed in AC:R.
Will you do one of those for Ezio?

Assassin_M
07-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Dont know why, sounds kinda like a cheap excuse...
But oh well, at the very least that got somewhat redeemed in AC:R.
Will you do one of those for Ezio?
It may be cheap, but its what they`v given us and im willing to go with it, its enough for me.

Yup, but I went with Altair first, because I thought he his story was more Mysterious..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Altair > Ezio. So take from that what you will :p
Also, it is amazing how a character with such small screen time had this much impact on the games.

GLHS
07-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Like I said, they only made clear what was most important for Desmond..

Say a Merchant for a example, "Tired of never finding anything useful at the other merchant stalls ? That wont happen here" What relevance does this sentence have to Vidic and/or Desmond ? Nothing

I read this in that guy's voice lol. But yeah, while I agree that it's a little cheap of an excuse for the translation software, at least they bothered to create a reason that makes sense within the story. There are so many games and movie that have plot holes because inconsistencies like timelines and accents that aren't explained. B/c of them taking the time to make up reasons for these things, we have few plotholes in the AC universe.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Do we actually have any? I dont really re-call any plot holes.