PDA

View Full Version : Me 163-B A great addition Some tips and Sugestions

Flydutch
05-29-2004, 03:37 AM
First of all, I am very pleased with the single mission for this spectecular a/c.

I am reading The Book written by Mano Ziegler one of the few sonderkomanndo 16 Test pilots who survived the war and even more so survived the 163-A & B!

It is a old book From 1961 "RAKETENJAEGER Me 163"
from 'Motorbuch- Verlag, Stuttgart.

It gives you a intressting first hand account on the live and dead of the people who tested and fine tuned the rocket a/c to become battle ready, for the Luftwaffe. It is not a dry testreport more a Dramatic and exciting life story altough there is many intressting discriptions on the behavior of the a/c.

With the help of the book I found that the landing of this dangerous Rocket/glider A/C the landing Speed is high and i manege to land it around 200kmh I have not stalled in it yet but i understood it would when the aproach is to slow.
In real live the 163 pilots used grass strips to land on understandeble since a concrete runway might give the Komet a tail of sparks (You don't want that in such a explosive A/C!)because of its metal landing skid, the grass made it glide for a long time and overshooting the landing strip was a daily reality.
Now in AEP the slide is very short.

On take off he discribes the encrebile noise the kick in the pilots back when releasing the detachble wheels (between 5 to 10 m height)
fliyng level untill the speed of 800kmh is reached before climbing (I need to put the stick forward in order not to rocket skyward)
then when you reached 2km Height it was considered save to level out and throtle back.

The most exciting part is to land this little devil:
Watch your speed before you put down If itis to high your skid it will be ripped off! Put Your landing flaps out at the last moment they act as airbrakes! you should circkel high above the aproach of the runway when you aproach by cirkeling you can lose speed and turn into the landing aproach from the downwind leg keep the wings straight also when your skidding.

Ziegler remarked that on turning on the rocket you would always hear a explosion and simular when the Fuel ran out!

Fritz Kelb a Fellow pilot who took of from Venlo (Holland)told Ziegler that when he tryed to intercept a B-17 formation from astern there was to much defensive fire his 163 was hit and he said the better attack from the front or side next time and be better equiped with 3cm cannon then the 20mm his A/C had!

Luckely the version in this sim has the 30,s and still it is not easy to shoot down a Fliyng fortress I aproach around 500kmh engine low not touching the rudder and fire from 200m Split-S for safety while giving full throthlle. If your aproach is to slow you will be a sitting Duck (For Gunners and Fighter A/C) one hit in the C/T stof and your start to melt!

I love the new damage visual to the bullet proof Armoured glass!
It should be done on all A/C that have Armoured Glass!

Cockpit sounds are also great, altough when gliding in a aircraft there should be wind sound internal and a whistling sound external for each A/C!
And the exterior Rocket sound seems very modest.

A fault is that the landing brakes work when gliding on your skid!

Please could you make the mission so that you take off from a concrete runway and land somwhere on a grass landing strip?

anyway thnx for al the hard work!

Kees.

Flydutch
05-29-2004, 03:37 AM
First of all, I am very pleased with the single mission for this spectecular a/c.

I am reading The Book written by Mano Ziegler one of the few sonderkomanndo 16 Test pilots who survived the war and even more so survived the 163-A & B!

It gives you a intressting first hand account on the live and dead of the people who tested and fine tuned the rocket a/c to become battle ready, for the Luftwaffe. It is not a dry testreport more a Dramatic and exciting life story altough there is many intressting discriptions on the behavior of the a/c.

With the help of the book I found that the landing of this dangerous Rocket/glider A/C the landing Speed is high and i manege to land it around 200kmh I have not stalled in it yet but i understood it would when the aproach is to slow.
In real live the 163 pilots used grass strips to land on understandeble since a concrete runway might give the Komet a tail of sparks (You don't want that in such a explosive A/C!)because of its metal landing skid, the grass made it glide for a long time and overshooting the landing strip was a daily reality.

On take off he discribes the encrebile noise the kick in the pilots back when releasing the detachble wheels (between 5 to 10 m height)
fliyng level untill the speed of 800kmh is reached before climbing (I need to put the stick forward in order not to rocket skyward)
then when you reached 2km Height it was considered save to level out and throtle back.

Watch your speed before you put down If itis to high your skid it will be ripped off! Put Your landing flaps out at the last moment they act as airbrakes! you should circkel high above the aproach of the runway when you aproach by cirkeling you can lose speed and turn into the landing aproach from the downwind leg keep the wings straight also when your skidding.

Ziegler remarked that on turning on the rocket you would always hear a explosion and simular when the Fuel ran out!

Fritz Kelb a Fellow pilot who took of from Venlo (Holland)told Ziegler that when he tryed to intercept a B-17 formation from astern there was to much defensive fire his 163 was hit and he said the better attack from the front or side next time and be better equiped with 3cm cannon then the 20mm his A/C had!

Luckely the version in this sim has the 30,s and still it is not easy to shoot down a Fliyng fortress I aproach around 500kmh engine low not touching the rudder and fire from 200m Split-S for safety while giving full throthlle. If your aproach is to slow you will be a sitting Duck (For Gunners and Fighter A/C) one hit in the C/T stof and your start to melt!

Cockpit sounds are also great, altough when gliding in a aircraft there should be wind sound internal and a whistling sound external for each A/C!

Please could you make the mission so that you take off from a concrete runway and land somwhere on a grass landing strip?

Kees.

Willey
05-29-2004, 01:07 PM
I love this plane, but it has some errors.

1. with the FB engine: Never ever you can score a landing with it in FB unless you don't drop the wheels. The skid should be declared as gear in the code. So it will have 2 gears.

2. Also engine-dependant: The trottle is nasty... It won't stay at where it should stay, instead it jumps back and forth between the 2 closests throttle settings while moving it. It's practically IMPOSSIBLE to use a slider for the Komet throttle and I have to use keyboard instead. This should be fixed at all costs http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

3. FB Me-163 lacks one throttle setting. The real one had 4 + Off. Those were for taxiing (!), "flight idle", "cruise" and "max.". Probably can be made easily, just put them at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.

Philipscdrw
05-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I have flown it a couple of times. I remember taking off on 100% throttle and having the landing skid ripped off before I could press g.

PhilipsCDRw

"Nietzsche is dead." - God.

View Cpt. Eric Brown's review of FB here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=309109534&r=875101634#875101634)

Charos
05-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Throttle positions of off, Idle, 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages thrust were controllable from 220 lb. to 3,307 lb.

There was no Ground movements made by the Komet under its own Power - All Komets were Towed to their takeoff positions.

Apparently some Komets had field modded Skids - Field crews welded concrete Reo onto the bottom of the skids so that the planes could stop faster . Although this dug up the field which if it happened to be in the next takeoff position was not a good idea.

Flydutch
05-29-2004, 05:42 PM
In the book ziegler describes that they had to fly straight for a while to stop the compass from spinning! and be able to use it I love the fact that in Fb it spins too!

UOTE]Originally posted by Charos:
Throttle positions of off, Idle, 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages thrust were controllable from 220 lb. to 3,307 lb.

There was no Ground movements made by the Komet under its own Power - All Komets were Towed to their takeoff positions.

Apparently some Komets had field modded Skids - Field crews welded concrete Reo onto the bottom of the skids so that the planes could stop faster . Although this dug up the field which if it happened to be in the next takeoff position was not a good idea.[/QUOTE]

CV8_Dudeness
05-29-2004, 07:44 PM
KOMETS lag FB out horribly

Flydutch
05-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Another intresting fact the Me 163 started alway's with wheel blocks(Triangular stops that would fix a plane to its parkingplace)
Infront of the detachble 'take off gear-Wheels'
When firing up the rocket it would be pushed over the blocks before rolling towards take off.

The Me 163's pilots claimed althogeter 10 victories including B-17, Lancaster, Mosquito and Thunderbolt. 1 Lancaster was shot down by the upward firing "Jagd Faust" a rocket mortar that would be triggerd by a photo cell when the a/c would pass underneat the Target the shade of the bomber would activate the weapon.

Pretty impresive when you get the picture of the problems The pilots faced in the closing stage of the war, and especialy fliyng this 'Femme fatale' 80 procent of the 163 and lots of pilots, were lost during take off or landing accidents!

Please get the JagdFaust operational!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flydutch:

Kees.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>