PDA

View Full Version : AEP Solutions

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
This thread's intention is to define some work-arounds and solutions (if they exist) to some reported problems.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
This thread's intention is to define some work-arounds and solutions (if they exist) to some reported problems.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 11:48 AM
COOP
Planes Crashing into eachother, wings breaking off for no reason, etc. etc.

Possible Cause:
A player or player(s) are initiating NTRK recording during the countdown.

Solution: wait until the countdown is over and all planes are in the air before starting an NTRK recording.

A couple of tracks have been submitted to Oleg to see the issue; also, there are some client synchronization issues that occur (without plane damage) and only seem to damage the plane when an NTRK file has been initiated at mission pre-countdown.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 11:53 AM
General Issues:

This is to address some general issues to get FB back into a "clean slate" to assist in troubleshooting.

Solution:
You need a brand new conf.ini file from a fresh install of FB. Back this file up as conf.original in your FB directory. Copy/Rename your existing conf.ini file to something different (e.g. conf_20040308.ini).

Simply deleting conf.ini and running IL2SETUP will NOT populate a fresh conf.ini file with all of the settings (e.g. your mouse cursor won't work right, you won't be able to use the ESC key, etc.).

This is a good solution to troubleshoot new Game Controller devices, new videocard stuff, clean sound entries, etc. Use the "clean" conf.ini in coordination with IL2SETUP.EXE to "reset" FB as much as possible.

A request has been sent to ensure that:

ON RUN: IL2SETUP.EXE
IF NOT EXIST conf.ini
THEN write conf.ini *
ENF IF

* Will hopefully include all the FMB key bindings, mouse bindings, etc. Currently it will not create/generate a complete conf.ini file.

If someone could email me a clean conf.ini from a fresh install, I'll mirror it somewhere.

Also, I'd really like to see a comprehensive list of all of the ADDITIONAL SETTING that have come up from time to time between all patches for the CONF.INI file.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Sound Issues:

Regarding sound issues, from DXDIAG go to the sound tab and try the different Sound Acceleration options, from NONE, to BASIC, STANARD, and FULL.

Also, disable Hardware Extensions from within IL2:FB or IL2SETUP to troubleshoot issues.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Regarding Blue Screens of Death and nFORCE chipsets:

From my testing, I've only encounted the following BSODs in COOP/DF mode, and never in Single Player mode.

Also, see (1) at the bottom of this page for more information.

You may occasionally get BSODs surrounding these two files:

nv_mini.sys (or is it .dll? I forget)
and
nvmcp.sys

The NVMCP.SYS surrounds your NFORCE on-board sound.

The on-board sound has some issues if you're overclocking your MB/Processor.

(Overclock ::at your own risk:http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ensure that you have bumped up your voltage (VCORE) to the processor if you are overclocking.

Try to use default clock speeds for 3 days of playing and see if the BSODs go away.

Update your BIOS according to the instructions from your board manufacturer.

Update/Reinstall your MainBoard (Platform) Drivers.

(1)
TrackIR users are more suseptible to the abovementioned problems, especially with sound, from what I can tell due to the speed at which you're moving your head around, the 3D positioning sound somehow overtaxes the nvmcp.sys (sound) system. BSOD's occur.

Also, I've noticed with higher (forced) refresh rates and VSYNCH off with Track IR use have a higher risk of BSOD with the nVIDIA nv_mini.sys (video card drivers).

All in all, Overclock at your own risk of instability of FB.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Regarding Timeouts:

Make sure you are getting the genuine problematic connection problems before submitting a bug report, etc.

Servers may wish to increase the ServerThread variable (can't think of the right name for this) from default of "3" to "4" or "5", etc.

Some timeouts are going to occur because it literally takes more time for the host to appropriately configure NGEN online coops/campaigns.

This is going to be experience moreso by players that have edited their HLPRO.ini file to shorten the gamelaunch delay window.

You can avoid this by INCREASING it to its default 20, or even 30.

tolwyn.com
03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Bump.

rbstr44
03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
*bump* http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Displacement through a Slab of Glass
http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/refraction/displacementcolorthreebeams.jpg
Entering and exiting rays are displaced
from each other, but parallel.
Refraction of Light (http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/refraction/refraction.html)

Cpt_Rio
03-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Nice thread

Always good to see good fellas helping the community out