PDA

View Full Version : Somes Questions understaning the Assassin Creed Trailer story...can you help me?

HinertT
07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone, I guess most of you have watched the Assassin Creed Rise Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9gGK4-GI0

I don't quite understand the parts about the priest and the woman.

Priest's Part:
Q1a. What are the people behind the priest doing? (They seems to be US minutemen and are hiding some weapons in that church for uprising later....not sure if this is true)
Q1b. What does "When I ask God to look the other way" mean? (To ask God to forgive the minutemen because they hide things to kill the British Army in the sacred Church? )

Woman's Part:
Q2. What does "When I decide it will be them, not us" mean? I can't quite understand the meaning of "it" in her words....

I'm not a native English speaker and so I don't understand the above details, yet I am quite curious about this story......wish someone can explain a little bit.
The trailer is really awesome. It's truly special.
Thanks for any sharing in advance!!

Acrimonious_Nin
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi welcome,

The colonials behind the priest are clearly hiding guns. Probably hiding it so the British troops won't find it. The last place they will look is in a church :D.

When the priest says "When I ask God to look the other way" he is implying that he knows hiding guns(weapons of murder)in a church is "wrong", so he wants God to not see the "wrong" that he is promoting for the sake of being able to support the rebellion which he obviously sees as a "good" thing. Since "these are the times that try men's souls" - Thomas Paine(Common sense), people are doing things that contradict their beliefs so that they can live a better life and future.

When the women says, "When I decide it will be them, not us". She is just showing that she (a woman) is willing to sacrifice her life for the right to not be forced to keep British soldiers in her home.
This is why America has the 3rd amendment in their bill of rights.

The entire trailer can be better understood if people actually know the first 3 amendments in the American bill of rights.

1st amendment: Protects the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press, as well as the right to assemble and petition the government
2nd amendment: Protects an individual's right to bear arms
3rd amendment: Prohibits the forced quartering of soldiers out of war time

probably even the first 10, but whatever hope this helped :D

HinertT
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi welcome,

The colonials behind the priest are clearly hiding guns. Probably hiding it so the British troops won't find it. The last place they will look is in a church :D.

When the priest says "When I ask God to look the other way" he is implying that he knows hiding guns(weapons of murder)in a church is "wrong", so he wants God to not see the "wrong" that he is promoting for the sake of being able to support the rebellion which he obviously sees as a "good" thing. Since "these are the times that try men's souls" - Thomas Paine(Common sense), people are doing things that contradict their beliefs so that they can live a better life and future.

When the women says, "When I decide it will be them, not us". She is just showing that she (a woman) is willing to sacrifice her life for the right to not be forced to keep British soldiers in her home.
This is why America has the 3rd amendment in their bill of rights.

The entire trailer can be better understood if people actually know the first 3 amendments in the American bill of rights.

1st amendment: Protects the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press, as well as the right to assemble and petition the government
2nd amendment: Protects an individual's right to bear arms
3rd amendment: Prohibits the forced quartering of soldiers out of war time

probably even the first 10, but whatever hope this helped :D

Thanks a lot!
Your reply is very informative and is helpful.
This clears all my queries about the Priest's part, but I still wanna know more about the woman's words.....(quite a linguistic or English grammar question):

She said: "When I decide it will be them, not us"
Question: What does "it" mean?
I once guessed "the people who have to die" may be a substitute of this "it", but I feel strange later.....a woman probably can't win when facing so many redcoats.....

Acrimonious_Nin
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks a lot!
Your reply is very informative and is helpful.
This clears all my queries about the Priest's part, but I still wanna know more about the woman's words.....(quite a linguistic or English grammar question):

She said: "When I decide it will be them, not us"
Question: What does "it" mean?
I once guessed "the people who have to die" may be a substitute of this "it", but I feel strange later.....a woman probably can't win when facing so many redcoats.....

During those times the common people used to have to give shelter to soldiers that were fighting by law of the king of England. This was like forcing people to give up their right to privacy at a moments notice to a bunch of soldiers(men). A woman by herself in a home with kids with a bunch of soldiers in the house was probably a big intrusion of her privacy and a danger to her family.

As you can see in the video she is alone, no husband around, and the doors are locked that is why they are coming through the window. So I believe she is fighting for her right to privacy as a female and as a single mother that does not want to have a bunch of men that have not seen a women in a long time ;) get it. Soldiers + war+ hot women usually is a bad mix up for the woman that feels insecure and imposed upon by this act.

I don't think the "it" in the grammar is that important. "It" must just be pointing to the "survival" of who is going to win. Even though she will be fighting a lot a men, she is willing to sacrifice her life for her family and for her rights as a human. It is the point of the trailer. To fight even if the odds are against you, because your fighting for freedom from an oppressive monarch. Hence the title "Rise", as in uprising, rebellion, insurrection, etc.

notafanboy
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
"it" or "them" is the ones trying to break into her home

Acrimonious_Nin
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
yeah ^ I don't think that the "it" deserves that much attention. >_> its just there because that's how English grammar is some times.

Sushiglutton
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I think the axe in her hands indicates that she will kill the redcoats instead of them killing her+family. That's how I interpret the scene anyway.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
The axe in her hand shows self defense, that they wont stand for this anymore and ''rise''

HinertT
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks a lot to you guys! Your replies are helpful.

Last question:
It seems that the word "it" is just used to complete the structure of the sentence and it has no special meaning.....
So let's forget about this "it". Can you guys suggest some ways to rewrite the woman's sentence while keeping all/most of the original meaning?

Steww-
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, that was painful to re-watch.

Anyway, I'm not sure there is any specific meaning, but maybe I'd go with:
"When I decide that it will be them in fear, not us."

Really taking a guess here, though I think Acrimonious_Nin has answered everything well.

Rakudaton
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks a lot to you guys! Your replies are helpful.

Last question:
It seems that the word "it" is just used to complete the structure of the sentence and it has no special meaning.....
So let's forget about this "it". Can you guys suggest some ways to rewrite the woman's sentence while keeping all/most of the original meaning?

I don't know why people have been sort of ignoring this part of the question; it's not that complicated. The phrase "it will be them" (and any other similar phrases) tends to mean "they will be the ones who die". There's no particular rhyme or reason to this expression; it just means what it means.

So I guess you could paraphrase what she says as:

"When I decide it will be them who die, not us."