PDA

View Full Version : Something I Hate about AC3...

AssassinGame1
07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey all assassins! You guys want to know something I really hate about AC3? It's Desmond. I never liked Desmond in the Assassin's Creed series. I would like the AC series without the animus and going back time sort of stuff. I searched for news on Desmond in AC3 and found out that ''there will be more Desmond than ever''. I was shocked when I read that. I thought AC3 wouldn't have anything to do with the animus. NO ANIMUS OR DESMOND!!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
A big part of the lore we all know and love revolved around Desmond.

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Desmond is one of the reasons I really like AC, I'd be hugely disappointed if he wasn't in AC3.

Lonesoldier2012
07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
People like Desmond. Including me. We need Desmond to stop the solar flare.

rileypoole1234
07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
If there was no Animus, we'd be playing the whole game as Desmond. Desmond is really the whole/main point of the AC story. I personally love him and I'm glad we'll be seeing more of him.

If you mean that you wish that there was no modern aspect of AC3, that will simply never happen. The modern aspect is a very important part of the series.

AssassinGame1
07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
But still, even though Desmond is important in the game, isn't he a little boring to play as? Like for an example, you are having fun as an assassin and suddenly you have to play as Desmond.

NeroInfernoF7
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
People are you forgetting everything? Desmond's story ends in AC3, ofcourse he will be in it!

Lonesoldier2012
07-08-2012, 10:37 PM
But still, even though Desmond is important in the game, isn't he a little boring to play as? Like for an example, you are having fun as an assassin and suddenly you have to play as Desmond.

I always liked the Desmond segments.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I always liked the Desmond segments.

Dont lie, nobody liked going on invisible blocks.
This time tho he will play more like Connor/Ezio/Altair.

Lonesoldier2012
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Oh. I forgot about the
"memories" in ACR that consisted of sound clips >.<

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Atleast in third person they would have been a bit more bearable, I had too go through torture that were those segments for the trophies.

Captain Tomatoz
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
The gameplay of Desmond may not have been as fun as the animus gameplay, but the story is engaging enough to want me to keep going back to it. I enjoy the Desmond parts of the story and the whole modern day story. :)

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM

I liked them.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I liked them.

Well, then I doubt heavily you are a human being, or you work for a certain branch of Ubisoft.

JCearlyyears
07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I loved the Desmond sections in acr!

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, then I doubt heavily you are a human being, or you work for a certain branch of Ubisoft.

Hey now, don't be doubting someone else not being human when you yourself have been on here religiously since you signed up and have been going without sleep.

The Desmond section definitely helped with letting people get to know Desmond more as a character.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey now, don't be doubting someone else not being human when you yourself have been on here religiously since you signed up and have been going without sleep.

The Desmond section definitely helped with letting people get to know Desmond more as a character.

That could have been done with, come close, this is a very big secret *whispers* GOOD GAMEPLAY *Whispers*

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
That could have been done with, come close, this is a very big secret *whispers* GOOD GAMEPLAY *Whispers*

There is very little gameplay wise that could've been done with those memories.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes there could have been, third person, anybody, ya know...
What AC is.

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes there could have been, third person, anybody, ya know...
What AC is.
There would've been little to no difference in the end, nothing massive happens in these memories. It would've mainly consisted of Desmond walking aimlessly around the area.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
No, it could have been structured better with third person platforming instead of making invisible blocks.

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 11:06 PM
No, it could have been structured better with third person platforming instead of making invisible blocks.

Even with those I would've still prefered the way they did it. It was unique and something new to AC. In comparison to the Desmond platforming done in the S16 ACB, I much prefered this.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
It was something new that failed very, very, VERY horribly. Would have rather had tomb like platforming with the style of the black room.

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 11:18 PM
It was something new that failed very, very, VERY horribly. Would have rather had tomb like platforming with the style of the black room.

I disagree.

JCearlyyears
07-08-2012, 11:21 PM
So do I.

Turul.
07-08-2012, 11:25 PM
@OP

sounds like someone is uninformed.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Well, I agree. Alot of people hated them, you guys are jut in the minority >_> I dont get what was enjoyable with creating blocks out of air, it was terrible and jarring.

xChupa
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
The only thing I don't like about Desmond is that he is voiced by Nolan North. And the only reason I don't like that is because I associate Nolan North only with Nathan Drake.
Hearing his voice on someone else other than Drake just sounds wrong to me since I've played so much Uncharted.

Obviously this issue is personal though and wouldn't apply to everyone and clearly it's not Ubisoft's fault or anything, just a personal gripe. Same thing applied when I played the Spec Ops: The Line demo. I just can't play any game where Nolan is the main character other than Uncharted since his voice belongs to Drake for me.

And OP, did you seriously think AC3 wouldn't have anything to do with the animus? Really? "Shocked" when you read that it would have more Desmond than ever? This game is all about Desmond and his purpose and conclusion.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 11:33 PM
The only thing I don't like about Desmond is that he is voiced by Nolan North. And the only reason I don't like that is because I associate Nolan North only with Nathan Drake.
Hearing his voice on someone else other than Drake just sounds wrong to me since I've played so much Uncharted.

Obviously this issue is personal though and wouldn't apply to everyone and clearly it's not Ubisoft's fault or anything, just a personal gripe. Same thing applied when I played the Spec Ops: The Line demo. I just can't play any game where Nolan is the main character other than Uncharted since his voice belongs to Drake for me.

And OP, did you seriously think AC3 wouldn't have anything to do with the animus? Really? "Shocked" when you read that it would have more Desmond than ever? This game is all about Desmond and his purpose and conclusion.
It was kinda states since AC1 it would be a trilogy.
And Nolan North voices everybody.
I am not kidding, check him on IMDB, the list is so huge....tho I always felt he was Desmond, not Drake.

Turul.
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
It was kinda states since AC1 it would be a trilogy.
And Nolan North voices everybody.
I am not kidding, check him on IMDB, the list is so huge....tho I always felt he was Desmond, not Drake.

does the penguin in arkham city

bet no one knew that

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM

bet no one knew that

I did, he is everyone, but no one....
We probably are all voiced by him or related too him one way or another.

ShaneO7K
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM

bet no one knew that

Now I want a Penguin skin for Desmond just for a bit of a chuckle lol.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Copyright + DC = Doom.
They are very stingy in those type of things.

ShaneO7K
07-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Copyright + DC = Doom.
They are very stingy in those type of things.

I wasn't being serious.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah I know, but just thought I would throw that out there :P
It would be hillarious if he suddenly changed too the Penguin for a split second.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah I know, but just thought I would throw that out there :P
It would be hillarious if he suddenly changed too the Penguin for a split second.
Nothing annoys me more than someone who presents his opinion as fact or that his opinion is better than everybody else just because they said so. late reply is late, but I had to reply; unless you did a survey on how many people hated the Desmond Memories, you should ONLY present your opinion as just that, your opinion.

I loved the Desmond Memories and so did so many people, but I don't appreciate you calling a lot of people inhumane and absolutely ignorant for liking them. I mean says the guy who`s been here since he registered and hasn't slept since..

NEVER present your opinion as fact or insult others`, because that only reduces the remaining respect I may have for you. and yes I am a Pessimist and a Cynic and I don't joke.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 12:50 AM
I would /keyboard, but I want too be able too type.
Go on 7 sites. Search for a thread/article about Desmond memories. Most hated them. By un-human I mean that I personally find it odd that people can like them. It is called expression. Den Defence and the FPS Platforming are known too be 2 of the biggest annoyances of the game.

Turul.
07-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Nothing annoys me more than someone who presents his opinion as fact or that his opinion is better than everybody else just because they said so. late reply is late, but I had to reply; unless you did a survey on how many people hated the Desmond Memories, you should ONLY present your opinion as just that, your opinion.

I loved the Desmond Memories and so did so many people, but I don't appreciate you calling a lot of people inhumane and absolutely ignorant for liking them. I mean says the guy who`s been here since he registered and hasn't slept since..

NEVER present your opinion as fact or insult others`, because that only reduces the remaining respect I may have for you. and yes I am a Pessimist and a Cynic and I don't joke.

finally me and M agree!

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I would /keyboard, but I want too be able too type.
Go on 7 sites. Search for a thread/article about Desmond memories. Most hated them. By un-human I mean that I personally find it odd that people can like them. It is called expression. Den Defence and the FPS Platforming are known too be 2 of the biggest annoyances of the game.
You find it odd that people like them ? Why exactly ? Because you dislike them ? Get a grip and like someone else said "work on the quality and coherence of your posts rather than quantity"
And Maybe most people didn't like them, I have absolutely no problem with that, but a lot of people did and appreciated that new addition and calling them "Odd" for liking them is Ignorant and stupid

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 12:55 AM
....Expression. It too express that I find it strange how many people like them on these boards. That is something that I made crystal clear up there.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 12:57 AM
....Expression. It too express that I find it strange how many people like them on these boards. That is something that I made crystal clear up there.
If Ignorance and disrespect are expressions in your book of socialization, then I think you are condescending, inconsiderate and have an over-all incoherent view of how "expression" works..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 12:59 AM
How is it dis-respect?
When do you something that is shocking, and somebody tells you ''Dude! that is un-human!'' is it now dis-respect?
Same situation here. Except too express a different thing.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 01:01 AM
How is it dis-respect?
When do you something that is shocking, and somebody tells you ''Dude! that is un-human!'' is it now dis-respect?
It is disrespect, because that phrase only shows how you completely disregard another`s opinion as "Odd" or "inhumane". it is disrespect when you lift your opinion above others` and IT IS DISRESPECT when you think that its normal to label someone else`s opinion as "ODD" and "INHUMANE"

Sabastian_AC
I don't have a wholesale hatred for Desmond that a number of people have expressed, but I will agree that there are some Desmond segments that I prefer to others. At the bottom of my list are the first person segments from Revelations. For me, they failed for three reasons: First, they were a jarring departure in terms of gameplay; second, they didn't contribute significantly to the advancement of the story, and third, they struck me as frustrating rather than challenging.

Fortunately, Ubisoft has shown that they know how to do compelling Desmond gameplay sections, and they proved it in Brotherhood. Here we see Desmond's character being fleshed out through conversations with Lucy, and at the same time the player is enjoying challenging puzzle-platforming gameplay that is meaningfully advancing the overall narrative. Think about the end of your first play-through of Brotherhood. The conclusion of Ezio's story was satisfying, but it was Desmond's story-line that really had me desperate for answers.

Judging from the various interviews that we've seen so far, I think it's clear that the developers have a good handle on what players enjoyed and what they did not. Most folks love the Assassin Tombs / Lairs, so they'll be back. Den defense is gone, first person platforming is gone. If this really is the end of Desmond's story, I tend to think that the gameplay that's focused around him will be more interesting that summoning blocks from the ether or reading our email.

Turul.
How is it dis-respect?

yes it is so shocking someone else liked something in a game that you and a large majority didn't, how shocking.

i suggest you go take a rest and get off this forum for awhile.

SMH

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Odd is the term. Just like when somebody jumps of a building, which most people wont do, is odd. And what is odd or not is a subjective thing.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Desmond's problem is his gameplay levels/sections. Over the years, they pretty much perfected the main AC formula for the gameplay with assassins (and seem to be taking it into a perfect new direction with AC3), but they never really pinned down what should Desmond's gameplay be like. In pretty much each game they try something new and it never feels exactly right. Either something that resembles point&click adventure games (AC1), or a simplified (thus not so exciting anymore) version of the main gameplay (AC2, ACB), or first-person platforming (ACR). They really need a good coherent idea/concept for Desmonds levels, it's like they don't know what to do with his levels so they try all the different ideas hoping that maybe something will finally work. The fact that they refuse to have any HUD for Desmond levels doesn't help either. We'll see how it will go this time, I really hope they focused more on his levels and finally came up with something that will be equally good as the main gameplay. Especially if he's gonna be more present than ever.

Legendz54
07-09-2012, 01:06 AM
I enjoyed all my time as Desmond and especially those tense moments with subject 16, it killed me not knowing if he was going to help me or take my body. As for the Desmond memories... I played through them but lost my way heaps of times, but still enjoyed hearing Desmond's story.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Odd is the term. Just like when somebody jumps of a building, which most people wont do, is odd. And what is odd or not is a subjective thing.
So now you`re actually comparing people liking the Memories to people jumping off a building ? Either mad or insane ? are you aware of what you`re saying ? do you truly understand it what you`re saying ? GOD MAN !! You basically called everyone who liked that feature Inhumane and odd and actually claim right to calling people odd and inhumane, WoW, man.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I enjoyed all my time as Desmond and especially those tense moments with subject 16, it killed me not knowing if he was going to help me or take my body. As for the Desmond memories... I played through them but lost my way heaps of times, but still enjoyed hearing Desmond's story.His stories in ACR were great, they finally built his character some more. But from the gameplay perspective eh... Not that great. The levels

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 01:09 AM
So now you`re actually comparing people liking the Memories to people jumping off a building ? Either mad or insane ? are you aware of what you`re saying ? do you truly understand it what you`re saying ? GOD MAN !! You basically called everyone who liked that feature Inhumane and odd and actually claim right to calling people odd and inhumane, WoW, man.

Odd is subjective. Subjective.

GeneralTrumbo
07-09-2012, 01:09 AM

I liked them as well. They were well-designed. I am all for variation in gameplay.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Odd is subjective. Subjective.
Do not and I mean it, DO NOT insult others` opinions and whats worse ? you`re actually justifying it..
stop presenting your opinions as widely accepted facts, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT !!

GeneralTrumbo
07-09-2012, 01:12 AM

It was actually one of the highest rated things during the playtests.

GeneralTrumbo
07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
And I love Desmond's parts of the game. They are sooo interesting. The lore around it also brings the most conversations.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Bad variation is never a good thing.
Infact, AC:R felt like worse than the rest because it tried being varied, but quite honestly it failed in that, so when went into the basic gameplay it was the same thing as the last game.
Subjective...odd is not an insult, it is a subjective term to something I find strange.
General-Mind providing me a link too the play test ratings?

De Filosoof
07-09-2012, 01:40 AM
The modern-day story is nice :).

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 01:42 AM
The story is nice, but the gameplay is terrible.

EzioAssassin51
07-09-2012, 05:25 AM
The story is nice, but the gameplay is terrible.

Oh come on, it wasn't THAT bad, it was a little challenging in some parts which is what everyone wants/seems to need in this franchise

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 05:38 AM
It was not challenging, but rather tedious.

EzioAssassin51
07-09-2012, 07:12 AM
It was not challenging, but rather tedious.

Not being mean, but why do you have to bag ACR like all the time? -_-

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Mostly because I knew the game will dis-appoint, but as a hardcore AC fan, I had to buy it, and ended up more dis-appointed.
It lacked the quality of all previous AC's.

EzioAssassin51
07-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Mostly because I knew the game will dis-appoint, but as a hardcore AC fan, I had to buy it, and ended up more dis-appointed.
It lacked the quality of all previous AC's.

I wasn't disappointed by it and I'm what you'd call a hardcore AC fan. If you were a real fan, you would look for the good in the game rather than dissing it and calling it the worst thing since Hitler in every second post.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
No. I am a realist, I do not let my love for the franchise block my views on the game. And how does being a fan mean looking for the ''goods'' first? I felt the game lacked the quality that generally goes into AC, and I am not the only one who thinks that. I really lost hope with the franchise had AC III not show us how awesome it looks like.

EzioAssassin51
07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
No. I am a realist, I do not let my love for the franchise block my views on the game. And how does being a fan mean looking for the ''goods'' first? I felt the game lacked the quality that generally goes into AC, and I am not the only one who thinks that. I really lost hope with the franchise had AC III not show us how awesome it looks like.

I'm a realist too and I clearly see the bad in ACR, I just don't hate it as much as you do, but I guess we all have different opinions and ideals that go into whether or not you like something. Yes, but you are one of the few who believe the game was a waste of time, not a decent entry into the franchise, even just for story, and who truly actually hates the game.

Well at least you're not one of those stupid people who come on here and complain you're never buying anything AC or Ubi again because you didn't like one game :p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Actually, many say that, then create a different account too praise the game so they dont look embarrassed :p

EzioAssassin51
07-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Actually, many say that, then create a different account too praise the game so they dont look embarrassed :p

hahaha i doubt it, since I don't think it possible for the people who make those threads to actually contribute positively or rationally to something.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Quite honestly, not buying games from a certain company for one bad game is stupid. No matter even if the game is Si-I mean a bad game

WolfTemplar94
07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Quite honestly, not buying games from a certain company for one bad game is stupid. No matter even if the game is Si-I mean a bad game

Don't take this the wrong way, but may I ask you why it seems like every second post on this entire board seems to be from you? It's irritating.

sticks165
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
how can you hate something that you haven't even played yet?

misterB2001
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but may I ask you why it seems like every second post on this entire board seems to be from you? It's irritating.

I think irritating is a very kind way of putting it. excruciatingly painful would be the term I would use.

zainzombie
07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I love the Desmond part of the game. I always wanted a game like this since POP days. Where i could go back in the past and come back to the present. Not to mention Desmond is a huge part of the storyline which adds to the storyline. I wouldnt have been waiting for AC2 in the past if there was no Desmond. Seriously, in AC1 all the signs on his wall written by the blood of subject 16 really was what glued me to the series.

LightRey
07-09-2012, 10:50 AM
The whole point of Desmond is the overarching story, the greater significance of the climactic events in the lives of the ancestors. That's one of the elements that I, and I would wager most fans, consider one of the most important and interesting elements of the games.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Wow, this still hurts you?

As I said before, you never pull this out on people with whom you agree. You (and some other people here) only get upset when someone with whom you disagree does it, which suggests you're not really genuinely upset and are simply using it as a whittling tactic.

I have no idea why you'd get all caps lock about a little negative hyperbole. Nothing wrong with pointing out that 'it's not everyone' in a calm way, but if there's nothing that annoys you more...

There's NOTHING that annoys me more than people claiming some minor annoyance annoys them more than EVERYTHING ELSE. MAN that grinds my gears.

Assassin_M
07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow, this still hurts you?

As I said before, you never pull this out on people with whom you agree. You (and some other people here) only get upset when someone with whom you disagree does it, which suggests you're not really genuinely upset and are simply using it as a whittling tactic.

I have no idea why you'd get all caps lock about a little negative hyperbole. Nothing wrong with pointing out that 'it's not everyone' in a calm way, but if there's nothing that annoys you more...

There's NOTHING that annoys me more than people claiming some minor annoyance annoys them more than EVERYTHING ELSE. MAN that grinds my gears.
Red: an Ignorant claim, as I indeed had arguments such as these with people I agree with numerous times.

Now as I said before, I have no problem with people having different views than mine and I wont even try to argue their logic. Now this renders your post rather pointless, and If you wish to continue this then you`ll do it on your own, because I do not wish to derail this thread anymore.

SixKeys
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I liked the Desmond memories in ACR. They were one of the best parts of an otherwise mediocre game. Sure, I'd have preferred third-person segments instead with more engaging gameplay but for the simple thing it was, it was fairly enjoyable and the art style was great. I preferred them to the Lost Archive S16 memories.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Red: an Ignorant claim, as I indeed had arguments such as these with people I agree with numerous times.

Now as I said before, I have no problem with people having different views than mine and I wont even try to argue their logic. Now this renders your post rather pointless, and If you wish to continue this then you`ll do it on your own, because I do not wish to derail this thread anymore.

You've had arguments with people you generally agree with, sure, but I've been in conversations where you're popping off at somebody about this "don't state your opinion as fact" business while others on your 'side', as it were, are committing the same grievous sin all around you.

I don't really care if you do start nipping at people for using hyperbole when praising AC. I'm just saying we would all benefit, you most of all, if you dialled it down a bit.

dxsxhxcx
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Desmond gives a higher purpose to the ancestor's life/mission, if wasn't by him this game would've been an eternal cat and mouse game that would certainly make me feel bored after two games...

IMO some people sometimes confuse his role in the game with the way his sequences are presented, don't enjoy his sequences because they're far from giving the same experience we have as the ancestor is something completelly different than do not like the character or his role (I know one thing leads to another but some people should be able to see through this)... IMO AC3 will be the game that will make Desmond some justice because Abstergo is finally going to get them and we'll probably have a little more action... :)

FrankieSatt
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey all assassins! You guys want to know something I really hate about AC3? It's Desmond. I never liked Desmond in the Assassin's Creed series. I would like the AC series without the animus and going back time sort of stuff. I searched for news on Desmond in AC3 and found out that ''there will be more Desmond than ever''. I was shocked when I read that. I thought AC3 wouldn't have anything to do with the animus. NO ANIMUS OR DESMOND!!

Desmond and the Animus IS the story. Without Desmond and the Animus there is no AC series. The story line was created in a way that there had to be a reson for there to be the difference ancestors and the reason as to why you are even playing as Altiar, Ezio and now Connor.

Remove Desmond and remove the animus and what is the story line of Altiar, Ezio and Connor? Why are we playing these characters? What is the objective of the game? There is none without Desmond and the Animus.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Desmond gives purpose to the ancestor's life/mission, if wasn't by him this game would've been an eternal mouse and cat game that would certainly make me feel bored after two games...

I think the animus itself is a brilliant vehicle for a game. We've all played open world games where some invisible wall prevents us from travelling to the next zone until later, and the most satisfying solution I've ever seen is the glitchy walls of AC. It's a coherent design that allows the game to highlight important people and items by making the glitchy effect dance around those points of interest, and it's a good narrative effect for showing you things you can and cannot do because you're meant to be following in your ancestor's footsteps.

However, I'm keen for Desmond to be replaced in the hope that the writers can be more ambitious next time with the new pilot of the animus and that area of the story. Desmond is Everybro: quite bland, quite stupid, yet inexplicably good at solving tricky puzzles. I also think the TWCB aspect is an albatross around the neck of the whole game. Yes, in order to give the animus purpose there needs to be a reason to delve into history to produce secret information to affect something urgent in the present day, but they've set very specific and very high stakes. I hope they can close them off in AC3, and make the quest in history for AC4 onwards about something a little different. Apart from anything else, it's going to seem really strange if TWCB were so powerfully forward-thinking that they spent their final days leaving dozens/hundreds of portentous messages for many important people in the future, and each had to complete their near-impossible missions in turn.

There's a danger of the TWCB story stretching too thin and killing the series before the customers have got bored with the basic joy of these games: running about in an ancient setting. That's why some of us sometimes muse about the possibility of self-contained historical stories, where the intrigue is all in the past setting for that particular game just like in a historical novel. You'd still be able to see an Assassin/Templar struggle, and events that are important to the future.

I think at the very least it'd be a good way of stretching out the TWCB story so it doesn't get too heavy, too fast. The inter-number games -- the Brotherhoods, the Revelations -- could be pure and self-contained historical pieces, while the main number ones contain the overarching plot.

dxsxhxcx
07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
@DoubleclickTF

I agree with you when you say that they should've been more ambitious with Desmond sequences giving them more meaning other than just react to what was learn with the ancestors, hopefully they`ll do this with the next modern day protagonist if we have one.. and you are also right about the animus, it certainly helps with the immersion knows that the limitations we find in a game (like the invisible walls mentioned by you) have an in game explanation, but even with all that I think that only the war between Templars and Assassins through time wouldn't be enough to keep things interesting for many games and eventually we would need to be shown the situation during the modern days if that was the case, so we need something more and here is where the modern day protagonist and TWCB comes into play... but I also agree with you and hope that they don't use the same "excuse" used for Desmond (end of the world, TWCB as messengers from the past) with a possible new modern day protagonist if they decide to continue making AC games...

about the "tricky puzzles" that Desmond inexplicably can solve, if you're talking about the glyphs left by S16, if we, the players are able to solve them, I don't think why Desmond shouldn't be able to do that as well, since what he sees in those glyphs are probably the same thing we see, I believe many people who has a personality similar to him can solve those puzzles without problems...

GeneralTrumbo
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the animus itself is a brilliant vehicle for a game. We've all played open world games where some invisible wall prevents us from travelling to the next zone until later, and the most satisfying solution I've ever seen is the glitchy walls of AC. It's a coherent design that allows the game to highlight important people and items by making the glitchy effect dance around those points of interest, and it's a good narrative effect for showing you things you can and cannot do because you're meant to be following in your ancestor's footsteps.

However, I'm keen for Desmond to be replaced in the hope that the writers can be more ambitious next time with the new pilot of the animus and that area of the story. Desmond is Everybro: quite bland, quite stupid, yet inexplicably good at solving tricky puzzles. I also think the TWCB aspect is an albatross around the neck of the whole game. Yes, in order to give the animus purpose there needs to be a reason to delve into history to produce secret information to affect something urgent in the present day, but they've set very specific and very high stakes. I hope they can close them off in AC3, and make the quest in history for AC4 onwards about something a little different. Apart from anything else, it's going to seem really strange if TWCB were so powerfully forward-thinking that they spent their final days leaving dozens/hundreds of portentous messages for many important people in the future, and each had to complete their near-impossible missions in turn.

There's a danger of the TWCB story stretching too thin and killing the series before the customers have got bored with the basic joy of these games: running about in an ancient setting. That's why some of us sometimes muse about the possibility of self-contained historical stories, where the intrigue is all in the past setting for that particular game just like in a historical novel. You'd still be able to see an Assassin/Templar struggle, and events that are important to the future.

I think at the very least it'd be a good way of stretching out the TWCB story so it doesn't get too heavy, too fast. The inter-number games -- the Brotherhoods, the Revelations -- could be pure and self-contained historical pieces, while the main number ones contain the overarching plot.

It looks quite like it to me that you are against any opinions supporting Desmond gameplay. Most of the fans actually want more Desmond. This has been shown several times.

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM

about the "tricky puzzles" that Desmond inexplicably can solve, if you're talking about the glyphs left by S16, if we, the players are able to solve them, I don't think why Desmond shouldn't be able to do that as well, since what he sees in those glyphs are probably the same thing we see, I believe many people who has a personality similar to him can solve those puzzles without problems...

I just mean it doesn't quite square with the way Desmond is usually all "Woah, dude!" and Keanureevesing over the smallest things :D

D.I.D.
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
It looks quite like it to me that you are against any opinions supporting Desmond gameplay. Most of the fans actually want more Desmond. This has been shown several times.

Not at all. I quite liked the Desmond sequences in Revelations, although there was no way I was going to pay for more of them as DLC. I don't like Desmond's character though, and in fact I'd quite like to see the whole team recast, potentially.

I do want to see the games aim a little higher with whoever the next character is going to be in the animus chair, with regard to who they are, how they speak, and their involvement in the story. Alternatively, I wouldn't miss that side if they dropped it either temporarily or permanently, so it's kind of either/or for me.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
The problem with his gameplay is it pales compared too the ancestors. In AC III, If he did not collect any abilities, and still has the same boring gameplay......
Might aswell get somebody else to play his parts /:

bjangly
11-13-2012, 01:07 AM
I've always hated the animus/desmond aspects of the game.

kriegerdesgottes
11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Desmond is a plot device who exists only to make the main part of the story more interesting and I think he does a good job of that. I hope he will return for another game but I would never want a full game dedicated to Desmond.

MackManster
11-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Ubisoft entirely dropped the ball with AC3. There's a reason why they only won one E3 award and it was for best Vita game...., its because UBISOFT SUCKS. They make terrible games these days with terrible plots and drab characters and then make you pay to play the multiplayer bits.

zhengyingli
11-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Desmond is a plot device who exists only to make the main part of the story more interesting and I think he does a good job of that. I hope he will return for another game but I would never want a full game dedicated to Desmond.
Agreed. Poorly done or not, he's the one element that gives all the games thus far the bigger picture.

SSJ_ORF
11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
I've never been a real fan of Desmond until AC3. Ubisoft said that AC3 would make us like Desmond more and they were right for me.

Brandonmac10
11-13-2012, 06:13 AM
I always liked Desmond since AC2. ACB was awesome with Desmond free roaming in the villa. AC3 had some cool parts but I don't think there was enough Desmond in it. Seemed like less Desmond than there was in ACR and ACB (if you count the villa free roam and maybe still just a long without it).

Then there isn't even a Desmond skin in AC3 like there was in Brotherhood and Revelations.

Neuronyx
11-14-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm looking forward to present-day segments, or hell maybe a full game set in present-day.