PDA

View Full Version : A Disabld Gamer's Request

Pages : [1] 2

Drezin86
07-07-2012, 04:03 AM
Hello, everyone.

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. I'm disabled. I have a genetic skin condition that makes the skin more fragile, and from the scarring, my hands are quite deformed. My fingers are webbed together. Being a gamer, I'm sure you can imagine the difficulties this presents. I can't hold the controller at all--I play be resting the controller in my lap. I can usually work things out so I can play; it's usually just a matter of experimentation. I'm an exclusive PS3 gamer simply because I can use their controller easily, while the 360's is quite cumbersome. As for Wii and motion control, forget it.

For the first AC game, I could hold down the R1 button by lifting my thigh and holding it down that way. It was awkward, but it worked, and I could play a few hours before my leg cramped too badly. Since R2 had no function, it wasn't a problem, but, as you surely know, ever since AC2, R2 has functioned as a weapon wheel. You can imagine my consternation when I bought AC2, only to find it unplayable (very rarely do games of the same franchise change their control scheme--I usually do research before buying a game, but that's why I didn't in that instance). Being out 60 bucks wasn't what was a bummer, though; it's that I couldn't play the game--and I really wanted to play it. And now the third one is coming out, it looks freaking awesome, and I probably won't be able to play it, either.

So, here's my request: give players the option to customize the controls. It used to be that almost every game allowed the player to map the controller any way he or she wanted. This is now, unfortunately for me, a very rare thing. If I could just switch around the functions of R2 and R1, there wouldn't be a problem, and even though I don't know a thing about game programming, it doesn't seem like allowing the player to customize the controls would be that difficult for the game developers to do. I can't be the only person out there that has this problem. From a business perspective, it could only help them.

I have no idea if the developers pay attention to these forums. I'd love to get the right people reading this request, because I think it's a problem that exists because the developers don't know it's a problem. If anyone has any suggestions on who I could contact with this request, I'd be very thankful.

Thank you for your time.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Wow....that just.....
I am gonna put it on they're Facebook.
People, send it too UbiGabe on Twitter.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:05 AM
I fully support this. Disabled are gamer people too. Tweeting and Facebooking this.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:09 AM
I posted it on the AC III Facebook, gonna put it on UbiGabe.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:12 AM
I posted it on the AC III Facebook, gonna put it on UbiGabe.

Tweeted Ubigabe and Ubisoft. And posted it on Facebook.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:13 AM
I just wouldn't feel as OK playing the game and having so much fun while diabled gamers just sit there unable too play. It just feels wrong.

SixKeys
07-07-2012, 04:15 AM
On PC it is possible to customize the controls. Of course if you don't have a powerful gaming PC, then that option's out. Since it's possible on the PC I don't see why it would be that hard to implement on consoles.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:15 AM
I just wouldn't feel as OK playing the game and having so much fun while diabled gamers just sit there unable too play. It just feels wrong.

Agreed. I sigged the thread.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Gonna do the same. If we can make this happen, it will be an example for other game companies.

Drezin86
07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Wow. I really didn't think there would be such a quick and strong response. Thanks, everyone. You don't know how cool this is.

And, as for the PC, I've considered that, but I don't have a powerful enough system to run it, and definitely don't have the disposable income to invest in one, unfortunately.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Gonna do the same. If we can make this happen, it will be an example for other game companies.

It's a good idea in the first place.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:19 AM
May I just ask, how do you type?
Dont worry dude, we are gonna try as much as possible too make it possible for you, or anybody too play the game.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Wow. I really didn't think there would be such a quick and strong response. Thanks, everyone. You don't know how cool this is.

And, as for the PC, I've considered that, but I don't have a powerful enough system to run it, and definitely don't have the disposable income to invest in one, unfortunately.
Welcome to the Ubisoft forum family.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:23 AM
I have been sending it too some people on the forums, hope It spread enough..
Wait..I should message Esco..

Drezin86
07-07-2012, 04:23 AM
May I just ask, how do you type?
Well, I do retain some function of my thumbs on each hand, so I utilize the "chicken-******" technique. I'm not bad. I can do it without looking at the keyboard.

Welcome to the Ubisoft forum family.
Thanks. :)

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:24 AM
I have been sending it too some people on the forums, hope It spread enough..
Wait..I should message Esco..

Heck yeah. This is something that should be asked at the next podcast.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Sent.
If they say something ''I am sorry, we cant do it'' quite honestly they will kinda lose respect in my eyes /:
Some people may say ''Oh, it's just one guy'' but there are many people out there who things like these stop them from playing games. Let's try too help them out, even through one game.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Sent.
If they say something ''I am sorry, we cant do it'' quite honestly they will kinda lose respect in my eyes /:
Some people may say ''Oh, it's just one guy'' but there are many people out there who things like these stop them from playing games. Let's try too help them out, even through one game.

Yeah it could be easily implemented. And i would probably set my own control scheme as well.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Same here. I would like messing around and seeing the best possible layout.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Same here. I would like messing around and seeing the best possible layout.
Heck yeah.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 04:31 AM
I know some people that dislike AC just for the controls, wouldn't it be a good idea too be able too set them?

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 04:37 AM
I know some people that dislike AC just for the controls, wouldn't it be a good idea too be able too set them?

Yes.

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 06:03 AM
I imagine a control-remapping option to not be too hard of a feature to add in, correct? This thread just made me depressed. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, should have to miss out on an awesome game like AC3 just because of the lack of a simple re-mapping option.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 06:05 AM
I imagine a control-remapping option to not be too hard of a feature to add in, correct? This thread just made me depressed. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, should have to miss out on an awesome game like AC3 just because of the lack of a simple re-mapping option.

Tweet and Facebook it.

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Tweet and Facebook it.

Done and done. Let's get this going, people!

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Done and done. Let's get this going, people!

Sig it as well. Let's get er done!!! YEAH!!

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 06:15 AM
sig it as well. Let's get er done!!! Yeah!!

GOD I love DEMOCRACY.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
We really think Ubisoft may start a trend, that re-mapping controls ability is a feature we expect in games.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 06:39 AM
GOD I love DEMOCRACY.God bless America!

We really think Ubisoft may start a trend, that re-mapping controls ability is a feature we expect in games.

Heck yes!

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 06:41 AM

It's basically a cliche in PC games at this point. How hard is it to port the feature to console games?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 06:43 AM
We can change the industry! ;D
So our friends who may be disabled will enjoy stabbing Templars.

freddie_1897
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Ubisoft, we expect you to surrender at sunset!

MetalCreed
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
I really hope Ubisoft does this.

MT4K
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Sentiments following everybody else here. It's something that should be a basic feature in the first place regardless of game or platform.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I really hope Ubi can implement this for you and other disabled gamers!

If not maybe there are other technical solututions. I saw that a gaming PC was not an option because of the money issue. I did some research and found this: http://www.ablegamers.com/General-Game-News/have-we-found-the-holy-grail-of-accessibility.html. Basically it's an adapter that allows you to use any type of input device on your PC and it will control ur console. They list a number of them like: TrackIR, Smart NAV, X-Keys, Ergodex. I don't know what they are and what would be suitable for ur need. But it could be worth checking out. Ofc you need some kind of PC but it certainly doesn't have to be one with gaming capability.

Also www.ablegamers.com (http://www.ablegamers.com) seems like a great site in general. Maybe try their forums and describe ur handicap to them and they will be able to give the best advice? Anyway best of luck to u!

zainzombie
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I hope Ubi implements this.

Scystab
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I think this is the first thread on these forums that we all agree on the answer :)

zainzombie
07-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I think this is the first thread on these forums that we all agree on the answer :)
Yea and if anyone would have disagreed I would have tracked him down and stabbed my hidden blade to his throat. :P

NeroInfernoF7
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I support your request. Hope Ubi notices this.

EscoBlades
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Message received loud and clear. You have my full support :D

TheHumanTowel
07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I remember there were calls for this to be implemented in CoD as well. Seems like such an easy idea to implement, no idea why most games don't do this. This has my much sought after seal of approval.

LightRey
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Message received loud and clear. You have my full support :D
Ditto. Btw, is there any way to hook up a PS3 controller to the PC and use that for the PC version? I can imagine there being programs or even game-specific mods that would allow you to customize the controls if the PC version doesn't allow that already.

LordWolv
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Ditto. Btw, is there any way to hook up a PS3 controller to the PC and use that for the PC version? I can imagine there being programs or even game-specific mods that would allow you to customize the controls if the PC version doesn't allow that already.
I believe so, but computers are expensive if you want to game on them, I can fully understand why he's asking for control customization.

MT4K
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM

I use a ps3/pc compatible gamepad from here (http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=413). I also have an adapter that lets me hook my old ps2 gamepads to the pc :).

I know you wasn't asking specifically for this, but it is very useful because they are compatible with both :D. Although not so useful for me since i don't own a PS3, but i prefer playstation styled gamepads and so it is still good lol.

JCearlyyears
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll tweet it and sig it! I really hope Ubi does this!

LightRey
07-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I believe so, but computers are expensive if you want to game on them, I can fully understand why he's asking for control customization.
True. Just an idea really. :p

reddragonhrcro
07-07-2012, 02:23 PM
You can count on my voice.

Moultonborough
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. I'm disabled. I have a genetic skin condition that makes the skin more fragile, and from the scarring, my hands are quite deformed. My fingers are webbed together. Being a gamer, I'm sure you can imagine the difficulties this presents. I can't hold the controller at all--I play be resting the controller in my lap. I can usually work things out so I can play; it's usually just a matter of experimentation. I'm an exclusive PS3 gamer simply because I can use their controller easily, while the 360's is quite cumbersome. As for Wii and motion control, forget it.

For the first AC game, I could hold down the R1 button by lifting my thigh and holding it down that way. It was awkward, but it worked, and I could play a few hours before my leg cramped too badly. Since R2 had no function, it wasn't a problem, but, as you surely know, ever since AC2, R2 has functioned as a weapon wheel. You can imagine my consternation when I bought AC2, only to find it unplayable (very rarely do games of the same franchise change their control scheme--I usually do research before buying a game, but that's why I didn't in that instance). Being out 60 bucks wasn't what was a bummer, though; it's that I couldn't play the game--and I really wanted to play it. And now the third one is coming out, it looks freaking awesome, and I probably won't be able to play it, either.

So, here's my request: give players the option to customize the controls. It used to be that almost every game allowed the player to map the controller any way he or she wanted. This is now, unfortunately for me, a very rare thing. If I could just switch around the functions of R2 and R1, there wouldn't be a problem, and even though I don't know a thing about game programming, it doesn't seem like allowing the player to customize the controls would be that difficult for the game developers to do. I can't be the only person out there that has this problem. From a business perspective, it could only help them.

I have no idea if the developers pay attention to these forums. I'd love to get the right people reading this request, because I think it's a problem that exists because the developers don't know it's a problem. If anyone has any suggestions on who I could contact with this request, I'd be very thankful.

Thank you for your time.

I have basically the same issues. As I had a stoke as a baby I have little to no use of my left hand. As such just like you I am limited to PS3. I use my thigh, chin and anything else to use the L2 and R2. I can control the rest of it fine. Really the only thing that annoys me is the L2 and R2 buttons "hang" off of the controller and sometimes causes me to throw a bomb or bring up the weapons wheel. It would be nice if you could switch controls with a system but on PS3 no matter where you map it, it will always be a little bit of a pain in the ***. Since there are a lot less buttons on a PS3 controller compared to a PC keyboard. I met the people who run AbleGamers at PAX East and they seemed pretty cool and love to help everyone be able play games. I would defently check out their website. They actually have reviews on what games are easy to use, features etc. Good Luck.

EscoBlades
07-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Yes. MotionInJoy drivers allow that. I used to use a PS3 controller for the PC version of Brotherhood until i got a new wired 360 controller. The drivers are a free download. And the connection is simple USB.

Turul.
07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Don't worry, we've got your back. somehow Ubisoft will learn of this.

Turul.
07-07-2012, 02:59 PM
lol saw hasoon and lonely soldiers posts on facebook.

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

LightRey
07-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Well since they check the forum they might already have...
<_<
>_>
=.=

Moultonborough
07-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Well, if Shade or Dom post we know they have. Depends if they pass it along though.

JCearlyyears
07-07-2012, 03:07 PM

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU5K4mKHMBo&feature=player_detailpage
Hahaha idk why for 5 minutes.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Here's another idea :D. Apparently there's something called programmable controller. Here are a couple from thrustmaster: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products. They let u swap around the button layout as u please (if I understand correctly). That would solve ur problem for all games, not just AC3 :cool:.

LightRey
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Here's another idea :D. Apparently there's something called programmable controller. Here are a couple from thrustmaster: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products. They let u swap around the button layout as u please (if I understand correctly). That would solve ur problem for all games, not just AC3 :cool:.
Oh, that's interesting. :O

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM

I know who you are

lies.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Ok I have found three different possible solutions (if u don't like any of them I'll grab a pitchfork and start marching towards Montreal!).

1) Use an adaper like this: http://www.ablegamers.com/General-Game-News/have-we-found-the-holy-grail-of-accessibility.html that allows you to control ur ps3 from ur PC with any input device u wish. That means stuff like http://ergodex.com/mainpage.htm and so on.

2) Use a programmable ps3 gamepad that allows you to customize the button layout as u wish. Try here: http://www.gamingmodz.com/playstation-3-modded-controllers.html and here: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products

3) Modify the controller physically something like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun3JYnrts4&feature=player_embedded#t=0s (but in a way that suits you).

Hope this help. And again I'd recomend ablegamers.com where I found all this stuff.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
But those are all for money.....
He should be able too play without paying, and he said his income isn't that much.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 03:47 PM
He should be able too play without paying, and he said his income isn't that much.

I just present some options it's up to him to choose what to do with them. They are cheaper than a gaming PC and offer a more genral solution than convincing just one developer to implement a feature in just one game (which to be brutally honest is unlikely to happen). I agree ideally there should be free solutions. But more options can't hurt can they ;)!

Oh and third option can be real cheap.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Well yeah, but still. If we can force MANY requests we will get somewhere.
And oh, the controls are VERY different in AC III.
We can all benefit.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'm all for it and it's not impossible that it could happen. One good thing about the new controls: That u only have to hold down one button to free-run is likely very helpful to disabled gamers. Never thought of that before.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
But too swing and jump you have too press X on PS3 and what ever the button is on Xbox.

Sushiglutton
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I have missed that. U have to time ur jumps now? That's very interesting.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Yep. It's now just holding the button, he was pressing X when he was swinging and jumping.

FrankieSatt
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I have to agree that giving us the option to change the controls would be a great idea.

rileypoole1234
07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I'll send it to who I can mate.;)

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 05:03 PM

I KNOW WHO YOU AREMy profile is blocked to people who aren't my friends XD

lies.ALL LIES!!!!!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I blocked it completely only too myself.
Lulz.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Fully support this. It ain't anything hard of big for developers to do but it would help gamers with disabilities very much. Please do it Ubisoft!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Share it around on Facebook and Twitter, and put it in you're signature.

Black_Widow9
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I will pass this along as well. I love the support you are all showing. <3

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 08:03 PM
If only Shade can see this...

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I will pass this along as well. I love the support you are all showing. <3
Yes we got the mods with us!

Blackwidow is the US version of Mr. Shade :p

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Mister Shade is the UK version, Ubi likes EMEA more :P

LightRey
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Well Black_Widow9 just did. :P

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Mister Shade is the UK version, Ubi likes EMEA more :P

http://msnsmileys.net/r/smileys/ROFL/Rofl_3e.gif

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Well, it is true...xD

Black_Widow9
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm crying real tears now. Look what you made me do. :'(

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
We must try too do something!
We work with Pitchforks at dawn..

ShadowRage41
07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I think this is a very good thing. and I will share it..

Felix-Vivo
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
It's now in my sig. I will be spreading this one :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Now we got a mod...now we need Shade, Esco talking about in the Podcast and we may get it done.

Lonesoldier2012
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Now we got a mod...now we need Shade, Esco talking about in the Podcast and we may get it done.

Heck yeah!!!

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I have to admit, this is kind of exciting. Seeing this forum work together for a good cause, even though it happens often, brings a tear to my eye.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Often? xD

OriginalMiles
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I love what is being done here.
I support this :)

jzsnyder
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, if you count "formulating theories about where/when the next game will be set" as a good cause, then yep!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, if you count "formulating theories about where/when the next game will be set" as a good cause, then yep!

XD

Felix-Vivo
07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Hell yeah, teamwork!

I really want this to happen, because nobody should have to miss out on playing games they love...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Plus, we benefit, the controls have changed ALOT.

Felix-Vivo
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
To the people tweeting UbiGabe - are we just directing him to this thread?

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Just tell him please see this, help him: *link*

Felix-Vivo
07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Done... hope he notices. I might do a few more later.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Dont spam him, he might mad and ignore o_o'

Felix-Vivo
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Dont spam him, he might mad and ignore o_o'

No, nothing like that, lololol XD
I will, for example post again tomorrow... nothing more often than that. Just to make it stick in his mind...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh, ok.
5 times every 2 minutes and he may just ask too change the controls even more as revenge.

Drezin86
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Okay, before I respond to a few individual posts, let me just say . . . WOW! I didn't expect this at all, but I am blown away. I'm not one for being short on words, but in this case I am. I'm really touched. This is just too cool. Thank you all.

I really hope Ubi can implement this for you and other disabled gamers!

If not maybe there are other technical solututions. I saw that a gaming PC was not an option because of the money issue. I did some research and found this: http://www.ablegamers.com/General-Game-News/have-we-found-the-holy-grail-of-accessibility.html. Basically it's an adapter that allows you to use any type of input device on your PC and it will control ur console. They list a number of them like: TrackIR, Smart NAV, X-Keys, Ergodex. I don't know what they are and what would be suitable for ur need. But it could be worth checking out. Ofc you need some kind of PC but it certainly doesn't have to be one with gaming capability.

Also www.ablegamers.com (http://www.ablegamers.com) seems like a great site in general. Maybe try their forums and describe ur handicap to them and they will be able to give the best advice? Anyway best of luck to u!
That's awesome. I didn't even know that site existed. I should've. I'm definitely going to look into it more.

Actually, I have formatted my PS3 controller for use on my computer. It wasn't for anything huge, though, just some simple games like Blink.

I have basically the same issues. As I had a stoke as a baby I have little to no use of my left hand. As such just like you I am limited to PS3. I use my thigh, chin and anything else to use the L2 and R2. I can control the rest of it fine. Really the only thing that annoys me is the L2 and R2 buttons "hang" off of the controller and sometimes causes me to throw a bomb or bring up the weapons wheel. It would be nice if you could switch controls with a system but on PS3 no matter where you map it, it will always be a little bit of a pain in the ***. Since there are a lot less buttons on a PS3 controller compared to a PC keyboard. I met the people who run AbleGamers at PAX East and they seemed pretty cool and love to help everyone be able play games. I would defently check out their website. They actually have reviews on what games are easy to use, features etc. Good Luck.
DUDE, I have the exact same problem. You have no idea how many accidental flash bangs I've thrown in CoD. I can't even begin to estimate the amount of times I've blinded myself.

Thanks! Those actually look pretty promising. Maybe I'll have to get AC2 again. :)

Ok I have found three different possible solutions (if u don't like any of them I'll grab a pitchfork and start marching towards Montreal!).

1) Use an adaper like this: http://www.ablegamers.com/General-Game-News/have-we-found-the-holy-grail-of-accessibility.html that allows you to control ur ps3 from ur PC with any input device u wish. That means stuff like http://ergodex.com/mainpage.htm and so on.

2) Use a programmable ps3 gamepad that allows you to customize the button layout as u wish. Try here: http://www.gamingmodz.com/playstation-3-modded-controllers.html and here: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products

3) Modify the controller physically something like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun3JYnrts4&feature=player_embedded#t=0s (but in a way that suits you).

Hope this help. And again I'd recomend ablegamers.com where I found all this stuff.
Awesome. Thanks.

Well, it isn't that bad. I don't have enough to drop on a whole new computer, but fifty or so bucks on a controller is definitely doable.

Yeah I'm all for it and it's not impossible that it could happen. One good thing about the new controls: That u only have to hold down one button to free-run is likely very helpful to disabled gamers. Never thought of that before.
Well, depending on the new controller layout, it may not be a problem at all. Still, the mapping feature can't hurt.

To anyone else who suggested something that I didn't respond to, don't worry, I'm checking everything out. Thanks again, all.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
The support will only get stronger~

Legendz54
07-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Fully support this, will do what i can :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Just tweet it, FB, and put in you're siggy.

NeroInfernoF7
07-08-2012, 01:10 AM
I will do my best to promote this tomorrow, gotta get some sleep now.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Sleep is for the weak :p
I tweeted this again at UbiGabe.

EscoBlades
07-08-2012, 01:13 AM
If you are tweeting Ubi people, please don't spam them. One tweet should suffice. They will see it.

I've already alerted a few to the thread via email. They will see it.

All in all, it warms my heart to see us pulling together like this. Let's make sure we do it right. Remember, no spam :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:14 AM
I tweeted it once too UbiGabe, and this a couple of days later, I said: ''Hey Gabe, just dont forget about: *The URL too this*''

catkiller97
07-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Ubisoft will listen.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:18 AM
We got some mods too help us out and Esco, it might just work :D

Assassin_M
07-08-2012, 01:32 AM
*sheds a tear* :`)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:33 AM
BLASEMPHY! Assassin M is happy O:
Just kidding :p

Lonesoldier2012
07-08-2012, 01:34 AM
It's a good day to be a part of this community.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Yeah, and we may prove too M that not all of us believe bored is a insult.
Lol.

Assassin_M
07-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Yeah, and we may prove too M that not all of us believe bored is a insult.
Lol.
Prove that to me by getting some sleep.. JEEZ, man xD

JCearlyyears
07-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Hasoon, were you here for that or did you go through the thread?

catkiller97
07-08-2012, 01:44 AM
The Devs will see the Thread :D

Turul.
07-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Hasoon, were you here for that or did you go through the thread?

i think he has absolutely no idea what it is even about

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:45 AM
I was one of the first posts on this -____-'

Felix-Vivo
07-08-2012, 01:46 AM
I love you guys XD

Assassin_M
07-08-2012, 01:47 AM
i think he has absolutely no idea what it is even about
He had the first post xD

EDIT: Oh ok..

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 01:48 AM
I am not sure what I said wrong, it was just a reference too a conversation we an M had yesterday.
If Shade helps, that may put the nail in the coffin.

Assassin_M
07-08-2012, 01:49 AM
I am not sure what I said wrong, it was just a reference too a conversation we an M had yesterday.
If Shade helps, that may put the nail in the coffin.
You did nothing wrong (except the part where you prefer posting here over sleeping) They just didn't open the first page, that's all..

Moultonborough
07-08-2012, 04:19 AM
DUDE, I have the exact same problem. You have no idea how many accidental flash bangs I've thrown in CoD. I can't even begin to estimate the amount of times I've blinded myself.

Those stupid grenades from the first Resistance with the flying spiks when it explodes. What a ****ing nightmare, you got no idea how many times I killed myself with a few dozen spikes to the head.:rolleyes:

jzsnyder
07-08-2012, 04:39 AM

Well, It's a good community to be a part of.

Gi1t
07-08-2012, 04:53 AM
This ought to be an option in more games anyway. :) In every game I've played that featured that option, it worked extremely well, and it can really help to iron out flaws in the control scheme.

in fact, the more customizeable options you have in a game, the more potential flaws you iron out as a result.

I really wished I could have taken the "dodge" move in AC Brotherhood and moved it from the double tap control stick back to the A button where it was in AC2.

And for cases like this, all the more reason. :) The industry hasn't thought about this much yet. There's a lot they can do. :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 04:55 AM
It's now something in all PC games, now we need it in our consoles.

jzsnyder
07-08-2012, 04:59 AM
It's now something in all PC games, now we need it in our consoles.

And now we wait...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Give them sometime, if we get closer and closer too release date, I would lose respect for Ubi /:

Timeaus
07-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Worst case scenario if they don't put the feature on the game by the release date, they should at least make a patch in an update to put it in. But let try to make it happen before release date. I have a disable friend as well so I understand how you feel. You got my support.:)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 05:32 AM
I dont get what type of negative it has.
They're budget on the marketing seems x3 games, is it really that hard too use some money for the disabled?

Timeaus
07-08-2012, 05:38 AM
It shouldn't cost them much to do it and I don't think it's hard to do either because some games already this feature for a while now, plus I myself would like that feature to added as well.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 05:39 AM
The controls can be down right scary for series vets due too different they are.

Timeaus
07-08-2012, 05:53 AM
I like to experiment with different control schemes, but AC3's control looked to a little different from other AC games, so we have learn the new control scheme any ways.

Turul.
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
i know bumping is prohibited, but i'm an assassin,

nothing i true, everything is permitted.

bumping to first page

NarQc
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Again, nice to see the community march together.. well done guys.. I hope this happens

I know some companies don't like it when the end user alters or modifies their product... Game companies might have the same mentality...
but as you guys said, it's already implemented on the PC, I don't see the problem

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
It is not just implemented, a game recieves actual negatievity in the PC community without changeable controls. It really does not take that much too make, and it can help many play the game. No negatives, but positives.

Chocoburger
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Drezin86, I quickly skimmed through the entire thread and I didn't see anything about the Avenger Controller add-on. This add-on is designed to help people press buttons quicker (for FPS online competition), HOWEVER it has a 'side effect' where it may help some people who are disabled reach buttons easier! I don't know if this will help but here are a few links to get you started before the October 30th release.

This is the main site, all pictures show off Xbox 360 but a PS3 version does exist as you can see from the picture below.
http://avengercontroller.com/pictures/

Here is the ThinkGeek website with a video of the add-on in action for Xbox 360.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/eb03/

Here is Amazon.com's link for the PS3 version.
http://www.amazon.com/N-Control-Avenger-Playstation-3-Controller-Adapter/dp/B005N61O5Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1341907286&sr=1-2&keywords=n-control+avenger+elite

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/eb03_avenger_controller_playstation3.jpg

I hope this helps or you find another solution!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:02 AM
I am not sure how exactly this can help his particular situation, but I still think he should be able too play with no extra cost.

Chocoburger
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Take into consideration that customizable controls + the avenger may make it even easier on him, since the L2 and R2 buttons have this extension to them, so he can hit them even easier. In the end, let him decide if it will help or not, but if it can help other disabled people, then let's not rule it out for Drezin.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Yeah, both would make is easier, but the ability too map the controls would make everything so much easier, the controller would be just a extra bonus.

Kit572
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Quite a story you have there, I'll support you!

kudos17
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
The pessimist in me wants to believe that any company would rather spend millions on marketing and not a cent on disabled players.

But the optimist in me believes that there is absolutely people at Ubisoft who wouldn't mind sticking a control management option in for the fans.

I hope, for once in the gaming world, that the pessimist side of me is dead wrong. You have my unbridled support in this request :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
The pessimist in me wants to believe that any company would rather spend millions on marketing and not a cent on disabled players.

But the optimist in me believes that there is absolutely people at Ubisoft who wouldn't mind sticking a control management option in for the fans.

I hope, for once in the gaming world, that the pessimist side of me is dead wrong. You have my unbridled support in this request :)

If enough of us push this idea out they really dont have much of a choice :p

Timeaus
07-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Gabe have responded about this
He said "
"I have seen this and am working to move it up the chain, however, since we've not done it before, it will be a challenge."
"The team sounds into it though, so even if we can't get it done for release, we will still try"
They are trying to put in :)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:16 AM
YES! WE DID IT!
High five everybody! ;DDDD

Felix-Vivo
07-11-2012, 01:16 AM
He said "
"I have seen this and am working to move it up the chain, however, since we've not done it before, it will be a challenge."
"The team sounds into it though, so even if we can't get it done for release, we will still try"

That's good to hear!

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:17 AM
I knew this would work...
Now we can finally change controls + help the disabled :D

ShaneO7K
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM
http://jerrykremer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Mission-Accomplished.jpg

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/760967/20060627-bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

Turul.
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
woot!

Felix-Vivo
07-11-2012, 01:20 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EBvgWRrtlqo/TqUXQD28ICI/AAAAAAAAFFI/zXdZY6eGhZM/s1600/SubMission+Accomplished.png

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Why are his ears that big? xD

Timeaus
07-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Well done guys :D

Felix-Vivo
07-11-2012, 01:24 AM
No idea whatsoever! I liked the intensity of his expression, though.

JCearlyyears
07-11-2012, 01:25 AM
I wonder how much control we'll have over the controls.

rileypoole1234
07-11-2012, 01:26 AM
I wonder how much control we'll have over the controls.

I see what you did there...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Probably re-map abilities to every button, I may be wrong tho. And probably a ''classic'' lay out.

kudos17
07-11-2012, 01:29 AM
He said "

Hey, that's great news!

Finally my pessimist side can kiss my optimist's shiny metal behind. ;)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Hey, that's great news!

Finally my pessimist side can kiss my optimist's shiny metal behind. ;)

LOL. Epic censoring is epic xD

Timeaus
07-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Remember people Don't get your hope up too much and then get really upset later if it doesn't happen. They said they will try, doesn't 100% guarantee that it will happen. But I think they can still do it after release even if they can't put it in time for release.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
They did say ''Even tho we might not get it on release, we will try after release'' so I am pretty confident.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
07-11-2012, 02:43 AM
They won't let us down on this, I don't think. UbiGabe is a great guy and won't let this go, he is one of the best Community Developers I've seen.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
I, also believe that they wont ignore it. Specially after how everybody is repeatedly asking for them.

Lonesoldier2012
07-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Yay!

Drezin86
07-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Hey all, just letting you know I'm still lurking--it'd be pretty lame of me to receive all this support and then bail.

That is truly awesome that actual people working on AC3 have recieved the message and are working on it. I know (well, have heard, at least) how crazy the few months leading up to release can be, so I understand if it doesn't happen for release, but if it came after a patch, that would be awesome. Is there any way to contact this Gabe guy? I'd really like to thank him. That, or just send along my thanks and let him know how cool this has all been.

Thanks again, everyone.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 03:49 AM
You can on Twitter, @UbiGabe https://twitter.com/UbiGabe

Timeaus
07-11-2012, 03:51 AM
Contact him on twitter https://twitter.com/UbiGabe. I also sent him a message on twitter saying thank you.:)
But yeah , No problem we're glad to help in some way :)

Drezin86
07-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Cool.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
I forward your thanks to him, now we finally achieved something :D

Kit572
07-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Awesome! They listened :D

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Just let us hope it is not Gabe trolling...

Felix-Vivo
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
If they do get it in the game, we can all feel like we've helped in part of AC history.
:)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Obviously, I was the first, so I get the most credit...
Nah, just kidding, we all did a equal part :p

Felix-Vivo
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Do you not remember Dumbledore's words? "We are only as strong as we are united; as weak as we are divided."
:)

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
...Am I criminal for not watching all of the movies? .____.

Felix-Vivo
07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes. Get out and never speak to me again.

XD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I kinda figured out you would do that with the huge space :p
I might get around it eventually.

Felix-Vivo
07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
They pretty much define my childhood. But we are derailing the thread now XD

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I want too make free running using the O button and attacking using the shoulder buttons xD

notafanboy
07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
didnīt expect Gabe to pass it through. I was expecting them to stroke their mustache/eating cheese while laughing like a bond villain

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, if they want all the gaming media on them, they would.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-12-2012, 04:18 PM
He said "
Great news! Hope it will happen, even if post-release. All game companies should think about gamers with disabilities when coding their games. Such a feature as button-mapping is NOT a too complex or complicated feature at all to code, it's being done on PC all the time yet it would help a lot of gamers.

So kudos Ubi for putting an effort!

Felix-Vivo
07-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Somebody should bring this up at ComicCon. See what they say :)

BRANDONxPRODIGY
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
they should make controllers for these situations too

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
There are some controllers, but having a map-able game + controller is the perfect mix.

Kit572
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
There are some controllers, but having a map-able game + controller is the perfect mix.

I don't like those controllers though, they look to complicated for my petty mind to handle. Mapping controls is better.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't like those controllers though, they look to complicated for my petty mind to handle. Mapping controlls is better.

Yeah, but if you REALLY want maximum help, controller + mapping controls is the best bet.

WildfireOneOne
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Amen. Support this struggle. Ubi, help this guy out.

Gregolian
07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
In full support of this.

stargate55555
07-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I fully support the ability to customize controls and not just for disabled people but rather in general to all players as it gives the player their comfort zone. Besides the button customization is not a big deal in terms of programming/coding (imo). The developers could actually use some previous codes if they have to.

Drezin my heart goes out to you m8 I know how it is to want something really bad and being prevented by an outside factor.

Opius_11
07-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Wow!

You have my support as well! In my narrow world I have not been thinking about your point of view Drezin, I am really glad you shared with the rest of us. I also don't think it is to much to ask that it should be implemented as a complete industry standard.

Thanks again for sharing.

BR,
Opius11

LordWolv
07-20-2012, 06:02 AM
How about the OP or someone else makes a poll thread so we can actually calculate how many people support this..? Not only for our benefit, but it will cause a bigger impact on Ubisoft if they can simply see numbers to define our opinion.

Avagantamoz
07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Controls that could be fully customized could help out alot more than just disabled people too. Wether its people who are used to the controls being a different way or people who are just plain picky with their buttons.

Bearstion
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Drezin,

My name is Steve Spohn, I'm the editor-in-chief of ablegamers.com - the largest community for disabled gamers with an extensive database of reviews just based on accessibility. AbleGamers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity run completely by volunteers who don't earn a dime for what we do. We are simply here to help the community wherever possible. We heard about your struggle and wanted to try to help point you in the right direction. I suggest getting a new controller to help with your gaming. It's great that you are able to adjust a normal controller to your needs, but there are plenty of assistive technologies out there hat can assist you in a much more direct way.

1) The Avenger - this is a snap on controller case that goes on any x-box 360 controller allowing you to pull down on a latch covering the trigger buttons instead of pressing on them. The controller was developed for someone with your exact same condition. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

2) Adroit - Adroit is an Xbox controller in a box designed by the ablegamers foundation and built by evil controllers, this device allows you to plug in will switches that can be brokered anywhere around you and remapped to any particular button needed. It was originally designed for those with muscular dystrophy who have little or no control over their limbs to be able to play in any environment.

3) XIM Edge - XIM is a new technology that allows you to plug your PC directly into your Xbox and play using your computer peripherals. From there, there are an astronomical amount of assistive technologies I can recommend for you to help you have an easier time gaining. Head controls you could put on a hat so you don't need to put any buttons, simply turn your have left right. Voice controls that allow you to pushbuttons verbally instead of physically. And so on.

Never give up on gaming, no matter what. The AbleGamers Foundation has assisted thousands of individuals with finding ways they can play games despite their disability. We hope this information helps you along your journey to find the perfect way to play for you. As for remappable keys, they are not the perfect solution or "silver bullet"as it were, but it certainly helps. Unfortunately, Ag has many friends in the video game industry, but Ubisoft has not been very responsive to any of our requests or QA suggestions. Some day Ubisoft will join the ranks of other development studios working with our foundation to make sure as many disabled gamers are included in as many titles as possible, but until that day, keep finding workarounds or come to our community and ask others how they do it.

Remember, there should be no barriers to fun!

Hello, everyone.

Thank you for your time.

AskACapper
07-21-2012, 10:47 PM
AskACapper is in full support of this
http://www.change.org/petitions/console-game-developers-and-video-game-console-manufactures-make-custom-button-remapping-a-standard-in-all-console-games#

UBI soft now is the time... we all wantb it somef of us NEED THIS.

IanHamilton_
07-21-2012, 11:03 PM
I have to echo Steve's sentiment - don't give up.

It is possible to change things. No developers deliberately set out to exclude people, they often just don't realise what issues there are, how important they are, or how easy they are to fix (or even better, avoid them completely by thinking about them from the outset).

Remapping in particular is a hot topic, askacapper.com's first remapping petition attracted over 86,000 signatures.

It has to start with a single person though, as happened with Dead Space's remapping.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287828/dead-space-2-gets-button-remapping-for-disabled-players/

It is perfectly possible (and easy) to have full controller remapping on consoles. Here's a good example, the first Resistance: Fall of Man game -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HocycbRFvQo

Game accessibility is rapidly improving, even within Ubisoft. It's a big organisation with lots of different divisions, I know that Ubisoft:Reflections are certainly interested in accessibility, they've been doing some with with SpecialEffect, and even Ubisoft as a whole back in 2008 mandated subtitling across all of their games. The sole reason that happened was because of players complaining about the lack of subtitling in the first Assassins Creed.

Games are a massive part of our culture now, this year they're set to overtake books and become the highest grossing form of entertainment on the planet. There's no reason at all why you should have to accept being excluded. So whatever you do don't ever be discouraged and keep at it with actions like these, you are making a significant difference to the future of gaming.

gamermaus2
07-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Hello,

and here is Sandra. I am a member of the IGDA GA-SIG like Ian. This is the Game Accessibility Special Interest Group of the IGDA.
First I would like to thank for this thread. I would love to see more feedback like this. The industry have to become aware about these problems.
And I would like to thank the other guys for their support. That is nice to see.

Portal 1 has remapping for PS3, but not Portal 2. That is odd. It seems that also when a company is aware of this problem
and committed to it, it is still difficult. The same is with subtitles: from Half-Life 2 to Portal 2 it took some time. But now the
subtitles and alternative presentation of important sound information is awesome! :-) So we have to be patient.

I would like to get some feedback from deaf gamers.
And I would like to know from Ubisoft if they got some information about subtitles when they announced it in 2008,

Regards,
Sandra

OneSwitch
07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
All good calls. Another possibility is the XCM Re-mapper (for Xbox 360) and XCM Swapper (PS3) device if not mentioned already here. This allows you to (somewhat laboriously) remap controls using an external device.

It's not a solution anywhere near as convenient or as desirable as in-game/in-platform options where you can save and auto-load into your own gamer profile. The XCM method also penalises gamers in so far as they have to fork out for an expensive peripheral. More info here: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS/AGS-various.htm and here http://switchgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/remapping-controls.html, and see the SpecialEffect GameBase video below:

Barrie (www.OneSwitch.org.uk)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cdIUec-6sg4/Tls9kPe1fwI/AAAAAAAACNg/Bj4asDau2N0/s1600/XCM-joypad-remap-reconfigur.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrVAmrSrcWY

Black_Widow9
07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you all for posting the different support solutions. They are really great. ;)

Drezin86
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
I want to again thank everyone in this thread for all the support. Even if a remapping option doesn't happen, all this has been such a cool experience.

I also want to thank Steve, Ian, Sandra and OneSwitch. All those options will be looked into, and maybe I'll finally get an Xbox if I can find a controller I can actually use. :)

Stroonzje
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
i am here to mark myself in ac history as the ones who helped. i didnt really help but its great too see the amount of feedback you got drizen i also did send a couple tweeets and facebooked it ;D good luck with future games also

Kit572
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah I think it will be awesome mapping the controls. Just like they did it in the old days of gaming.

who-can-i-be
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
So, err, where are we going with this? I've tweeted UbiGabe a while ago, like you, and was hoping for an update about now...

Drezin, would you be content with an L1/L2 toggle? Because I've seen RDR do that (unfortunately doing so prevents any of the 4 shoulder buttons from working unless you restart), so it can't be too hard.
For the record (as no-one really wants to go out and spend money, the Giotech controller allows you to switch those functions at will, but I can't account for any size decrepancies. Sorry, but I just wanted to help in anyway I could.

Skuld_pt
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
I only saw this now, but I fully support this :D

IanHamilton_
07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Drezin, would you be content with an L1/L2 toggle?

Developers can't cater for people's requirements individually, with motor impairments in particular everyone's own requirements are pretty unique so you would need a huge number of presets rather than one toggle. That's what's good about remapping though, it allows people to choose whatever set-up they want to meet their own requirements. It's not a silver bullet, it doesn't help people who for example find precise movements or precise timing difficult. But when you take into account the relatively small cost/effort it's one of the best value for money accessibility features you can include, it makes a big difference to a large amount of people, not just those who need it for accessibility reasons, but all the people who just prefer their own set-up too.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_glove

Just need to get something like this that interfaces with the various systems, so that we eliminate the need for controlers all togethor.

AssassinVenice
08-10-2012, 09:24 AM
It wouldn't be that hard to implement button mapping into the game, now would it? They do that for PC games, so what the problem here? Trying to keep things too straight-forward? What about disabled people like our friend here? What about the techies and the console switchers that have to deal with the R1/RT high profile mode complications?
Ubi should listen to us more than those marketing people that don't care about the customers at all.
GET IT STRAIGHT, UBI! AT LEAST ****ING ONCE!

xXConnorzzXx
08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I support this, It cant be that hard to implement button mapping.

cobra5250
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
You have my full support, mate! :)

Umbra_Blade
09-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Right behind you buddy! I shouldn't think this would be too hard to implement a change in button controls, compared to making a new engine from scratch :p Make it happen Ubi :D
It's at times like this when I feel proud to be part of this community, keep the support going guys. Perhaps maybe sticky the thread to get full awareness?

TheTetraktys
09-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't have twitter or facebook accounts so I can't really do much, but it's good to see this many people trying to help someone! I too hope this option will be available for you.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 12:57 AM
This thread is just beautiful...

Turul.
09-03-2012, 05:19 AM
The Ubisoft representatives on facebook, twitter, and this forum have been notified and have said they'd do their best to carry on the message.

just don't want people spamming UbiGabe and such

M....i agree...i can't believe i'm saying it lol
this community is awesome!

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 05:22 AM
The Ubisoft representatives on facebook, twitter, and this forum have been notified and have said they'd do their best to carry on the message.

This thread is the only thing anyone can agree with me, especially me, about ;):p

Poodle_of_Doom
09-03-2012, 04:12 PM

That's really a general response though:

"We understand your frustrations, and take your concerns very seriously. We will look into the matter, and do our best to [insert more crap here]."

Seriously, when you complain to most companies, this is the kind of response you'd get after they've satisfied you to the best of their ability. It's a very steriotypical response. Now, I'm not saying we should spam any. In fact, I'm saying you really shoudln't. But, it might be more effective than just saying "Hey, Look at this thread!"

pacmanate
09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Not to sound crude, but the OP's last activity was on the 23rd July. He hasn't come back which makes me wonder if he is even bothered.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
And then there's that...

pacmanate
09-03-2012, 05:53 PM
And then there's that...

Not really a "that". I fully support the idea.

MT4K
09-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Not to sound crude, but the OP's last activity was on the 23rd July. He hasn't come back which makes me wonder if he is even bothered.

He came back a few times after making this thread. He was directed to other Forums and such that specialise in making devices or tweaking controllers ect for people with disabilities. He is probably active over on those.

pacmanate
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
He came back a few times after making this thread. He was directed to other Forums and such that specialise in making devices or tweaking controllers ect for people with disabilities. He is probably active over on those.

Oh that's good! At least something is being done :)

Rogue Agent 035
09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello, everyone.

Thank you for your time.

Very Well said...., I too am a disabled gamer an follow suite somwhat in how I hold my 360 controller as you do yer PS3 Controller except fer a few mods given my smaller right hand. An when playing "Non-Customizable" controls games does make it a bit un-comfortable, but think most of how the controls are setup have more ta do with the engine used kinda tying the devs hands, but I totally agree an feel if more games could an would accomidate us disabled gamers as well as abled bodied gamers it would make thang easier on all of us.

Rogue Agent 035

DiamondBlade_R
09-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Holy sh-it... I got chills reading this. I am also what you would call disabled, I was born with Cerebral Palsy. Like you, I am pretty much incapable of holding the controller - I have only one practically functional arm, which is my right one. I play games lying in bed and resting the controller on the mattress. My right arm is, as mentioned above, far more functional than my left one (even though I can control my left one to a certain extent as well), and because of that, for many years I found myself struggling to adapt as the standard for movement control in games shifted from the d-pad to the left analogue stick in the early 2000s. Thankfully, as the years went on and I grew older, I managed to improve the control I had over my left arm and fingers - nowadays I can control the analogue stick with little to no effort, except for pressing L3 - but I still remember how frustrating it was to have to pass on so many games as a kid simply because the button configuration on said games didn't match my physical capabilities. I feel your pain, brother. I hope that you find a way to overcome your problem, with games and other things.

GeneralTrumbo
09-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I hope you don't get your request answered.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I hope you don't get your request answered.
This is a deliberate attempt to catch attention and see how people will react. Do not make him feel good or that he achieved his goal.. just ignore that post:)

GeneralTrumbo
09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
This is a deliberate attempt to catch attention and see how people will react. Do not make him feel good or that he achieved his goal.. just ignore that post:)
Silence you fool.

Assassin_M
09-03-2012, 11:34 PM
silence you fool.
ha !

Free_Hidings
09-04-2012, 04:00 AM
I didn't have time to go through the whole thread, and I'm sure this has been suggested already, but:

I am a PS3 man, but I have been playing a bit on the 360 every now and again at my mates house. The trigger buttons are opposite each other, meaning that "R2" (RT) is run, and "R1" (RB) Is the weapon wheel.

So you could consider this, you mentioned that you find the controller cumbersome, but it at least allows you to play the game. Anyway good luck.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Holy sh-it... I got chills reading this. I am also what you would call disabled, I was born with Cerebral Palsy. Like you, I am pretty much incapable of holding the controller - I have only one practically functional arm, which is my right one. I play games lying in bed and resting the controller on the mattress. My right arm is, as mentioned above, far more functional than my left one (even though I can control my left one to a certain extent as well), and because of that, for many years I found myself struggling to adapt as the standard for movement control in games shifted from the d-pad to the left analogue stick in the early 2000s. Thankfully, as the years went on and I grew older, I managed to improve the control I had over my left arm and fingers - nowadays I can control the analogue stick with little to no effort, except for pressing L3 - but I still remember how frustrating it was to have to pass on so many games as a kid simply because the button configuration on said games didn't match my physical capabilities. I feel your pain, brother. I hope that you find a way to overcome your problem, with games and other things.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you were able to develope better control of your left arm over the years. Would you say that the playing of video games helped you develope fine motor controls, and an improved functionality in that arm, or would you attribute it more to something else? I'm kind of curious at this point, as this would be one hell of an arguement to make in favor of button mapping.

DiamondBlade_R
09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Out of curiosity, you mentioned you were able to develope better control of your left arm over the years. Would you say that the playing of video games helped you develope fine motor controls, and an improved functionality in that arm, or would you attribute it more to something else? I'm kind of curious at this point, as this would be one hell of an arguement to make in favor of button mapping.
You know what, I actually retract that statement... partially. It wasn't so much that over the years the overall control I had over my arm (the hand, to be more precise), as it was that there came a point in my life when I realized game developers were shifting to analogue control of movement in games, and I basically said, "screw it, there's no way I'm giving up on gaming", so I decided to start trying to adapt to analogue control, which meant playing more and more games that utilized it until I grew accustomed to it despite my disability.

Poodle_of_Doom
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
You know what, I actually retract that statement... partially. It wasn't so much that over the years the overall control I had over my arm (the hand, to be more precise), as it was that there came a point in my life when I realized game developers were shifting to analogue control of movement in games, and I basically said, "screw it, there's no way I'm giving up on gaming", so I decided to start trying to adapt to analogue control, which meant playing more and more games that utilized it until I grew accustomed to it despite my disability.

Well, I assumed that's what you meant before. At that, my question still stands, just not where it did before. Would you still say that video games helped you refine the skills you have in that hand?

IanHamilton_
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, sadly it looks like the personal pleas weren't enough. It's not too late though, Dead Space 2 had remapping added in via a patch after a well supported post-launch protest by a disabled gamer, so if you're still in support of this happening then it's still worth making noise about it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287828/dead-space-2-gets-button-remapping-for-disabled-players/?site=cvg

DutchDefqon
11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow.. I shall share this to my friends.. Being disabled is horrible.. But its good to see that they can still have fun.. Lets hope Ubisoft and all the other gaming company' will put this into the games they make..

Baked_Cookies
11-25-2012, 07:30 PM
See this stuff right here this is a legit need/want from the developer. This is a cause worth supporting. I hope the changes are done so you can enjoy this game as well man. Good luck

montagemik
11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I gave it Facebook support - can someone ADD a poll to this thread so it gets the full community backing here too ??

Felix-Vivo
11-25-2012, 07:38 PM
We should try and keep this thread active... Not let it fade back through the pages of topics. We don't want them to think we've forgotten or given up....

Baked_Cookies
11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I highly doubt anyone will forget or give up about something like this. I just really hope someone actually does help and make controller mapping possible. There is no way it would be hard for them to implement into this game at all.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh wow...whatever happened to this

Rogue-Eaglet
11-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm all for making games accessible to everyone interested in experiencing it.

UrDeviant1
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM
If customizing the controls can help a disabled gamer, when why In the **** doesn't every game have It? Sort It out for the fellow, Ubisoft.

scooper121s
11-25-2012, 10:33 PM
If customizing the controls can help a disabled gamer, when why In the **** doesn't every game have It? Sort It out for the fellow, Ubisoft.

seconded

TrueAssassin77
11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
im putting this page in my favorites.

so i can always check back and bump it back up if need be

ecWarAmp
11-25-2012, 10:59 PM
being able to remap controls should be standard in all video games. I feel for you bud!

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Hah... what happened to message heard loud and clear ?? Probably we should`v kept this in the front page till the game released

JLBMST
11-26-2012, 01:46 AM
I hope it is not to late to add my support for this. Gamers of all types should be supported.

Fairus60
11-26-2012, 02:53 AM
I give my support to this as well. Hope it is added in the next patch.

D.I.D.
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
http://www.ablegamers.com/Disabled-Gamers-General-News/fifa-13-is-the-2012-ablegamers-accessible-mainstream-game-of-the-year.html

Well done to Dishonored, CoD, FIFA, XCOM and Color Bind. I'm especially impressed that FIFA can now be controlled with a single trackball or mouse.

Th3Aw3som3On31
01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm very sorry about your condition and how video games are some what of a job for you to play them. I fully agree and think they should def. do this. Hope you are able to enjoy games as well as others do.

Poodle_of_Doom
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
I almost forgot about this thread until today. Did they ever do anything like this for AC3?

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Just saw this article and remembered this thread. Did Ubisoft look into the OP's question?

Read the article anyway, especially if you are in (or have an interest in working in) game design:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/8/6/5886035/disabled-gamers-accessibility

Moultonborough
08-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Cool article. That being said......why necro a two year old thread? Better off just starting a new one.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Cool article. That being said......why necro a two year old thread?

Because it was relevant....

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Cool article. That being said......why necro a two year old thread? Better off just starting a new one.

This was a very popular thread that involved a real person whose story helped people to understand why this is important. If I just started a new thread, it might be deemed irrelevant to AC and moved to some general discussion forum, or locked completely, and besides I'd bet a lot of people would just pass it by. I've seen people become very defensive of their favourite developers when accessibility is raised as a topic, in the same way that social inclusivity can raise hackles: "Why waste devs' time for so few people? I want every scrap of effort spent on getting my game right". A real person makes it clear that numbers aren't the important thing, since there's no tipping point at which it becomes acceptable. Either you* believe in doing the right thing or you don't.

* [PS - Not "you" personally! I mean "you believe" as in "one believes", in a general sense.]