PDA

View Full Version : will slavery be touched upon in AC3

Radman500
07-06-2012, 02:17 AM
liberation will prolly touch up on it more, seeing that liberation takes place in new orleans and features a half black, half french assassin who's mentor was runaway slave...

but in AC3.... will slavery be touched upon.....

Assassin_M
07-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Yes and confirmed

FL4PPYflap
07-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-06-2012, 02:28 AM
They said it will be shown as it happened historically, but they won't really discuss it. Missed opportunity. At least ACL will talk about it heavily.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Why not touch on slavery more? /:
This kinda worries me, dont want them too skip on the Natives treatment.

WolfTemplar94
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I think that's Liberation's story to touch on. Hopefully we see at least a little bit of it. I also think that Connor should be treated unfairly by a lot of people, purely because that's what happened in real life. I think if any mainstream game company would do it, it'd be Ubisoft so *fingers crossed*.

LoyalACFan
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I heard one of the developers (maybe Alex Hutchinson?) say that it will be present, but they won't go into it heavily. He said that they wanted to focus on Connor's conflicting loyalties to the Native Americans and colonials, and the tension created there, rather than try and shoehorn in the slavery story and risk tackling too many major issues. I can kind of see where he's coming from. If you're going to address it, address it right. Don't do it halfway. That's where Liberation comes in.

LightRey
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
It's just not the highlight of the time really. Not that it wasn't at all present, but considering Connor's situation he had other priorities such as the revolution, the well being of his own people and of course the Templar threat.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I think that's Liberation's story to touch on. Hopefully we see at least a little bit of it. I also think that Connor should be treated unfairly by a lot of people, purely because that's what happened in real life. I think if any mainstream game company would do it, it'd be Ubisoft so *fingers crossed*.Not exactly sure why you think "if anyone could do it, it will be Ubisoft"? They aren't any famous for tackling difficult subjects, pushing the boundaries of stories in games or anything like that. It's Bioware, Rockstar, Obsidian or Irrational I would rather say this about. Of course if it happens, I will applaud Ubisoft. Video games are really behind with mature subjects. All the M/18+ labels are just there because of violence, no mature subject (that doesn't involve violence) is ever really a reason for a M/18 rating.

SixKeys
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Why not touch on slavery more? /:
This kinda worries me, dont want them too skip on the Natives treatment.

Historical slavery is a difficult subject to broach in video games. If you had a mission where the hero had to free some black slaves, Connor being half-white could lead to the uncomfortable image of "the white savior". If you went around recruiting former slaves to the brotherhood, it would feel awkward to have them kneel in front of you and swear their allegiance. Connor is also best buds with George Washington in this game and players are supposed to feel sympathetic towards Connor's allies, but the fact is that Washington owned slaves too. The hero shouldn't act superior to slaves in any way, that includes acting as their savior. Any way you turn the issue it could have unfortunate implications. The game should strive to show that no-one, not even the hero's allies, were "the good guys", and that racism isn't an issue that could be magically solved by just one person.

RatonhnhakeFan
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Historical slavery is a difficult subject to broach in video games. If you had a mission where the hero had to free some black slaves, Connor being half-white could lead to the uncomfortable image of "the white savior". If you went around recruiting former slaves to the brotherhood, it would feel awkward to have them kneel in front of you and swear their allegiance. Connor is also best buds with George Washington in this game and players are supposed to feel sympathetic towards Connor's allies, but the fact is that Washington owned slaves too. The hero shouldn't act superior to slaves in any way, that includes acting as their savior. Any way you turn the issue it could have unfortunate implications. The game should strive to show that no-one, not even the hero's allies, were "the good guys", and that racism isn't an issue that could be magically solved by just one person.So in short, he shouldn't be buddy-buddy with a guy who own slaves. Very simple.

Turul.
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Im pretty sure they said theyve completely avoided any images of it in the game due to the very sensitive nature of the subject.

they felt that if it were to be included in the game they wanted to make sure that it was very appropriate and was something not taken lightly, therefore they've decided to avoid it and focus on other things

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Not exactly sure why you think "if anyone could do it, it will be Ubisoft"? They aren't any famous for tackling difficult subjects, pushing the boundaries of stories in games or anything like that. It's Bioware, Rockstar, Obsidian or Irrational I would rather say this about. Of course if it happens, I will applaud Ubisoft. Video games are really behind with mature subjects. All the M/18+ labels are just there because of violence, no mature subject (that doesn't involve violence) is ever really a reason for a M/18 rating.

I agree here IMO.
Ubisoft never really touch difficult subjects.
This game is they're chance. Show us the Natives treatment, the slaves....
So many missed oppurtinites in this game, all because he just HAS too be friends with George, and George had slaves.