PDA

View Full Version : Are you also happy they keep secrets?

Sushiglutton
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
So I read this on IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/02/assassins-creed-iii-you-can-expect-big-secrets. It's a bit embarrasing, but I'm really happy they do that, because I have no disciplin. Whenever new footage is shown I have to watch. For Revelation they showed too much imo. For example they spoiled completely the biggest set piece in the game (the ship and fire one), which just made it very anti-climactic to me. So if that "pitched battle" is happening I'm rooting for Alex!

Also I wonder what those two major systems might be?

xXMrGR1NCHXx
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree that they showed to much with AC:R. I felt like I already played the game when I got my hands on it, so I'm pumped to see what they have kept back!

De Filosoof
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I love it !!! ;)
I don't wanna see any story related stuff anymore. NOTHING.
But yeah, one word....marketing.
They have to show the big hollywood explosions to get the stupid masses excited that most likely didn't care about previous AC games in the first place.

Locopells
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
And there, in a nutshell, is what everyone's complaining about.

For myself, as long as it ain't story spoiler, I wanna see it!

egriffin09
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm happy they are holding back some big systems for AC3 until release. Now a days, because of the internet and other media, I feel like I know pretty much an entire game before I actually play it. I remember when I was young, you had to wait until the game actually released until you found out about all the cool stuff by either discovering it for yourself by playing it or one of your friends at school would tell you about a cool part or cool thing in a game. Those were the days. It brings that old feeling of suspense and excitement about what will be in a game back.

NeroInfernoF7
07-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I freaking love that they keep secrets, but then there is that feeling inside of me that says "SHOW ME MORE, SHOW ME MOOOORE!"! xD
But yeah, if they showed it all, it would be no fun with the actual game.

rileypoole1234
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm glad. I love discovering things in an AC game after it comes out. Same thing happened with the glyphs for me in AC2, so I really just want to play this right now.

EDIT: Some of the secrets are almost obviously centered around Desmond.

massmurdera_666
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm happy they are holding back some big systems for AC3 until release. Now a days, because of the internet and other media, I feel like I know pretty much an entire game before I actually play it. I remember when I was young, you had to wait until the game actually released until you found out about all the cool stuff by either discovering it for yourself by playing it or one of your friends at school would tell you about a cool part or cool thing in a game. Those were the days. It brings that old feeling of suspense and excitement about what will be in a game back.

Same here, i remember those days, it's also when you found out if a game sucked or not. But that was in all the fun, not fun for our parents or their wallets but oh well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was co-op, just because everyone has been asking for it. You couldn't be able to play the whole game together but there could be a side story just for co-op that's not really integural to the overall story, but fun to play with a friend.

twenty_glyphs
07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm really glad they are keeping a lot of stuff secret. Part of the fun of AC2 was the sense of discovery as I went through the game. I had enjoyed AC1 and was intrigued by the end, but I had only seen a handful of previews for AC2 before I played it. I had read enough to know about The Truth and a lot of other elements of the game, and had watched most of the developer diaries, but there was still a lot of new things to discover as I played through the game. Even the things I had read or heard about felt awesome as I discovered them, since they hadn't actually been shown yet.

With Revelations, I saw just about any info that came out about the game so I felt like I knew way too much when I played through the game. There was no sense of discovery, and I felt like I was playing through something I already knew a lot about. Much of that was the fact that Revelations had so little development time that there wasn't as much content as AC2, so whatever they talked about in the marketing was going to end up being a large percentage of the actual game. It was also disappointing that almost every Alta´r memory seal mission in Revelations had already been revealed in The Secret Crusade novel, published almost 5 months before Revelations came out. I also felt like there would be more to Ezio's story than simply finding the five keys that Alta´r left behind, but there never ended up being much more to the story than that basic premise.

It was also understandable that they needed to talk about Revelations' story a decent amount by telling us about Ezio's mission to find the five keys left behind by Alta´r in the marketing. Since the game was another entry in Ezio's story, it would have been hard to get people excited about it without talking about why its story even mattered. With AC3, just the new setting and ancestor is enough to get people excited, so they don't have to talk about Connor's story with that same level of detail to get fans excited. I'm really glad that they have said almost nothing about Connor's story, let alone Desmond. They've just been talking about the general setting and mentioning some characters you'll interact with without even going into much detail, and I hope it stays that way.

In addition to that, the fact that there are gameplay systems they're trying to keep secret is very interesting as well. It speaks to just how big the game is, and I look forward to discovering unexpected features when first playing through the game. They can afford to do that on this game because it's had a long development cycle with a lot of resources, so it's big enough that they can talk about a lot of features without revealing everything. It also helps that it's the fifth game in a series, so some things like new versions of The Truth or the platforming/tomb levels they can say are still there without having to go into too much detail. When they first introduced those features, they probably needed to reveal more about them to get people to care. Now that people are familiar with the series, they can afford to say they have systems like past games that are vastly reworked without revealing much about them.

Sushiglutton
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Yeah I remember when I played "A Link to the past" and was thrilled to open every chest to see what awesome gadgets you would get next. I had absolutely no clue what would come. That was like digital Christmas :D!

Sushiglutton
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I freaking love that they keep secrets, but then there is that feeling inside of me that says "SHOW ME MORE, SHOW ME MOOOORE!"! xD
But yeah, if they showed it all, it would be no fun with the actual game.

Yeah feel the same. Actually watching the teaser trailer today my first thought was like: "was that it? Show us something we haven't seen". That's just so irrational. I mean the truth is I'm very glad they didn't.

Layytez
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Aslong as they properly explain things they didn't in ACR like all all that Adam and Eve stuff then I'm fine with it.

Turul.
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
more secrets the better

BBALive
07-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, I like that they're keeping secrets. It makes it even better when you finally discover it in-game.

WolfTemplar94
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I wonder if there will be a firing line mode, where you direct soldiers to go? The would be interesting.

lukaszep
07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I was so happy when I read this article earlier. I kinda wish they had left the naval battles a surprise as well, but oh well! There's still more to be seen and discovered (boarding the ships etc.) I'm excited that there is more game play mechanics (at least two) left to be discovered when we play the game. Makes me feel positive this game will be huge. I was starting to think I might have to go dark soon, to avoid seeing all the customization systems etc.

Revelations definitely..revealed too much before release. But then it was a much shorter game anyway with hardly any new features. With AC3, there's so many new features, it's an entirely new engine so showing anything is showing a lot off. Whereas AC:R was re using a lot of the same elements and the 4th game on the Anvil engine, so a big blockbuster demo was definitely needed at E3 '11 to gain interest.

tarrero
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Perfect!!

You see, what happened with revelations, even though I like the game, is that is very short and feels kinda rushed, there is really few innovative new stuff, besides the FFs that I DID NOT like haha..

So after you finish the game there was kinda "is that it?"

De Filosoof
07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I was so happy when I read this article earlier. I kinda wish they had left the naval battles a surprise as well, but oh well! There's still more to be seen and discovered (boarding the ships etc.) I'm excited that there is more game play mechanics (at least two) left to be discovered when we play the game. Makes me feel positive this game will be huge. I was starting to think I might have to go dark soon, to avoid seeing all the customization systems etc.

Revelations definitely..revealed too much before release. But then it was a much shorter game anyway with hardly any new features. With AC3, there's so many new features, it's an entirely new engine so showing anything is showing a lot off. Whereas AC:R was re using a lot of the same elements and the 4th game on the Anvil engine, so a big blockbuster demo was definitely needed at E3 '11 to gain interest.

I agree, they should have kept the naval battles a secret. That would have been a very nice surprise when we'd play the game for the first time. But oh well...

If they reveal any more huge secrets before release i will be very mad at the marketing team.

dxsxhxcx
07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I wish they were able to show us a little of Shaun... some days ago I was watching that video where they paint him as the "ultimate" assassin and had a lot of fun watching it... it would be cool see a video with a scene of AC3 where he's being sarcastic with Desmond and the others (without spoilers if possible), I would also like to see a sneak peak of Desmond (without spoilers), maybe just some seconds of his first appearance in AC3 just to give us an idea to what expect...

the rest should remain a secret and from now on the only thing they should show us is different gameplay situations (not related to a mission) showing us a little more of the features we already know...

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I myself, set out as a challenge that past the major first world wide gameplay (E3) not too see anything. UC3 was an example of over marketing, every single level in the game was shown pre-release. Might aswell show the ending.