PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Boston gameplay demo showing much better combat

StatewidePanda
06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n07QuxpFUlc&feature=related

Apologies about low quality sound but it shows some new info at about 4:00 with Connor getting into the fight and I think it much better demonstrates what combat difficulty in ac3 will really be like compared to the other videos where he seems near-invincible.
It also somewhat solves the debate about muskets not being fired in the city because at 4:45 the 2 redcoats back off and make a sort of 2-man firing wall.
also at 4:58 it shows Connor using the rope dart on the ground to pull an enemy towards him rather than using it from a tree branch. Rest of the video is nothing new, just the same as the other boston gameplay videos. Combat also looks overall much more challenging than what has been shown in other demos with Connor actually taking some serious damage.

Only other notable point is at 5:52 where both hidden blades are shown.
Apologies is this has been posted before but I looked around for a bit and had not seen this specific video posted.

Legendz54
06-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Loved the rope dart/tomohawk kill :)

mockers00
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
0:09 seconds look at that beautiful village, which I am guessing is in the frontier and people thought the frontier would get stale.

mockers00
06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
exact;y pause on 0:40 or 0:41, looks like a meadow, looks like we will have a diverse forest folks

Slayer_WTF
06-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Awesome. If I remember correctly there is manual aim.

roostersrule2
06-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes this looks way better but when you get hit you don't lose much life.

MT4K
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes this looks way better but when you get hit you don't lose much life.

This is for demo purposes. It would not be a great presentation to people if everybody who tried it kept dying due to being bad or unfamiliar with the combat.

roostersrule2
06-30-2012, 11:09 AM
This is for demo purposes. It would not be a great presentation to people if everybody who tried it kept dying due to being bad or unfamiliar with the combat.Touche.

Sushiglutton
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Haha look at 4:34 when Connor slit the redcoats throat and the the redcoat stumbles around a bit and picks up his musket. I guess they are not so easy to kill after all!

OnT: Yeah it looks allright. It's what Alex has said that the difficulty lies in trying to make the combat smooth and that can be pretty tricky. I'm perfectly fine with that. I wonder how many moves we have at our disposal. Normal attack, secondary weapon attack (depends on the selected weapon), counter, double counter, roll, human shield, break defense. If you time counter u can throw our hurt. Seems like a good amount of moves. Human shield seems to be contextual. Like if guards are aiming at you the 'B'-button says "Human shield" and if u tap it I assume Connor automatically grabs someone?

Overall I do think it looks like the best combat system in AC history. Doesn't look as good as Arkham City though ;)!

Locopells
06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Tell me I'm not seeing things at 4:52 - did he just hit that Scottish guy in the groin?!

blazefp
06-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Awesome. If I remember correctly there is manual aim.

Yeah I was just gonna say that. Or at least semi automatic aim

Slayer_WTF
06-30-2012, 11:33 AM
"Get over or here!"

Look at 4:59.

oliacr
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
The Rope dart and tomahawk are awesome.

Slayer_WTF
06-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Am I wrong or has been removed the ability to push people?

De Filosoof
06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
It's nice to see that the man Connor just freed is actually running to his wife and talking to her instead of just running in a random direction, on the left at 3:31 :).

Epsilonyx
06-30-2012, 01:48 PM
****it I hate killstreaks. It makes no sense how, after killing one guy, Connor can automatically bypass every other enemy's defences. At least add a range limit.

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
****it I hate killstreaks. It makes no sense how, after killing one guy, Connor can automatically bypass every other enemy's defences. At least add a range limit.
At least it's not like AC:R where it was extremely easy. AC3's combat looks much much and one more, much more difficult than past games. He had one star of notoriety (I think) and there were still hordes of guards coming after him. The player almost died there as well, the only time I've died in an AC game was climbing and accidentally jumping off a building.

Epsilonyx
06-30-2012, 02:14 PM
At least it's not like AC:R where it was extremely easy. AC3's combat looks much much and one more, much more difficult than past games. He had one star of notoriety (I think) and there were still hordes of guards coming after him. The player almost died there as well, the only time I've died in an AC game was climbing and accidentally jumping off a building.
Yeah, I suppose the actual game will be harder than the demo.

shanethebouncer
06-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm guessing that auto kill is just for the Wii U.

De Filosoof
06-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm guessing that auto kill is just for the Wii U.

Auto kill? There is no auto kill.

BBALive
06-30-2012, 03:58 PM
You can clearly see that enemies spend less time standing around waiting to be killed and are generally more aggressive. That's very promising. Also noticed a counter that didn't instant kill. That's also promising. Although I did notice that when Connor used the Scottish soldier as a human shield, the other two enemies stood next to him stood around and did nothing. Hopefully that'll be fixed.

Damage seems to be very low, most likely for demo purposes.

rileypoole1234
06-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Nice. This is a much better demo. The combat and enemy aggression looks awesome.

matheus_737
06-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice. Finally the combat seens to be difficulty, but I'm not a fan of the kill streaks also I prefer the same as AC1 and AC2 but with the attacking you all the time and more faster seens more real than murderer everyone without stop to defend anytime but seens more badass and more lethal. Nad I prefer medicine not auto-regeneration because you can escape and hide then you back there and destroy everyone, but the medicine could be short and only useful when you are out of combat and defeated all youtr enemies.

Slayer_WTF
06-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Nice. This is a much better demo. The combat and enemy aggression looks awesome.

I thought the same thing, except of course when towards the end of fighting the enemies seem to lose courage. I wonder if the timing of the counterattack is like the first, because in this case there could be an acceptable level of challenge.

shanethebouncer
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Auto kill? There is no auto kill.

I mean the killing someone and then automatically killing the next guy system that we see in the Wii demo and in ACR and ACB.

GunnarGunderson
06-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm a bit worried that grabbing the human shield is automatic, he seemed to grab the guy without even seeing the redcoats preparing to fire

playassassins1
06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I mean the killing someone and then automatically killing the next guy system that we see in the Wii demo and in ACR and ACB.

That will be included in every version.

Jexx21
06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
That will be included in every version.

And why wouldn't it be? It's not like the Wii U's gamepad is harder to use than other gamepads. And the Wii U isn't marketed solely towards the casual market like the Wii pretty much was.

I'm getting a Wii U, it looks awesome. (And I only have a PC right now)

shanethebouncer
06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Well I only say that because in the PS3 demo they didn't have that but we've only seen a little bit of gameplay so unless they confirmed it who knows.

notafanboy
06-30-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm a bit worried that grabbing the human shield is automatic, he seemed to grab the guy without even seeing the redcoats preparing to fire

a button promt will pop up when they´re aiming at you

POP1Fan
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't think it's the combat, but the player...he isn't the best I have seen (not the worst either) and the fact that the combat is kinda different from the others it might be hard to get used to, but he defintley didn't play very well.

BBALive
06-30-2012, 07:21 PM

It seems to be contextual, but you still need to press a button to do it.

The prompt appears when you're both near an enemy and somebody is preparing to shoot you.

http://i.imgur.com/z0uYE.png

Timeaus
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think it's the combat, but the player...he isn't the best I have seen (not the worst either) and the fact that the combat is kinda different from the others it might be hard to get used to, but he defintley didn't play very well.

I think it's both, the combat definitely looks harder than before and the player is also not very good. The developers said that the combat might not be too difficult but it's difficult to be good at it and make it looks good. Personally it doesn't really matter to me if the combat is more difficult as long as it's different than before. I don't think AC games were meant to be difficult but a little challenge could never hurt.

kudos17
06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
It doesn't seem... choppy, to you guys? :nonchalance:

I don't really like the way Connor "shuffles" over to every Redcoat in between insta-kill animations. Not really a step forward IMO. I realize it was a tad awkward in Brotherhood and Revelations as well, but it seems to stand out far more here.

It's just weird, cuz the first demo I saw (the E3 one in winter Frontier) seemed so fluid in animations. It was great. But everything I've seen of the Boston demo rather blows combat wise. :(

playassassins1
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM

I don't really like the way Connor "shuffles" over to every Redcoat in between insta-kill animations. Not really a step forward IMO. I realize it was a tad awkward in Brotherhood and Revelations as well, but it seems to stand out far more here.

It's just weird, cuz the first demo I saw (the E3 one in winter Frontier) seemed so fluid in animations. It was great. But everything I've seen of the Boston demo rather blows combat wise. :(

Yeah, the Frontier demo looked better in terms fluidity. This one was just teleporting from one guy to another...
I think its because the WIi U has a few bugs more than the PS3/XBOX version.

Timeaus
07-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, the Frontier demo looked better in terms fluidity. This one was just teleporting from one guy to another...
I think its because the WIi U has a few bugs more than the PS3/XBOX version.

Yeah all the frontier demos, the combat flows much better which is on PS3 version. The wii u seemed to have more bugs and glitches. Also maybe the Wii U controller is harder to manage as well because the player playing the Wii U seemed to struggle a lot more with the combat, they keep getting hit multiple times in a row surely they are experienced enough to counter those attacks. I'm not hating on the Wii U but the controller although looks cool doesn't fit in playing these kind of game, it's way too big. I can't imagine holding it and playing for hours.

De Filosoof
07-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Yeah all the frontier demos, the combat flows much better which is on PS3 version. The wii u seemed to have more bugs and glitches. Also maybe the Wii U controller is harder to manage as well because the player playing the Wii U seemed to struggle a lot more with the combat, they keep getting hit multiple times in a row surely they are experienced enough to counter those attacks. I'm not hating on the Wii U but the controller although looks cool doesn't fit in playing these kind of game, it's way too big. I can't imagine holding it and playing for hours.

It looks like an ugly ipad.

BBALive
07-01-2012, 02:58 AM

The transition between each kill during a kill-streak has always been like that (although I think the animation(s) is/are different) when the enemy was a fair distance away. The main difference this time is that Connor will roll if the enemy is close enough. The 'shuffle', as you put it doesn't look amazing, but the movement is logical and realistic. Rolling over to an enemy that is a meter or 2 away from you would just get you impaled while you're defenseless, but a short range roll will easily catch a guard by surprise.

The person playing is obviously quite bad or new to the game, so he doesn't really demonstrate the fluidity of the combat system, which was the primary purpose of the Frontier demo. This demo was just interesting because it shows some changes to enemy AI and combat difficulty. Oh, and using the rope-dart on the ground instead of on a tree.

As for animation choppyness, that was present during the Frontier demo as welll (very noticeable at one point), but I'm sure it'll be fixed or won't occur that often in the final product.

WolfTemplar94
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Did anyone notice that at 0:38 in the video there's someone that looks like an older version of Connor?

Slayer_WTF
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Did anyone notice that at 0:38 in the video there's someone that looks like an older version of Connor?

This?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54bq7UaWh1r018o5o1_500.png

It looks different. With Connor arrive until the age of 40 years, right?

StatewidePanda
07-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree the player wasn't fantastic but when I mentioned combat difficulty I was referring more to aggression, enemies firing at you in the city and enemies doing much larger amounts of damage.

Stroonzje
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
i like how this one the person playing is more having fun with it than just doing an exact course of events

Locopells
07-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Agreed. kept a copy for that exact reason.