PDA

View Full Version : AC III Creative Director on difficulty

im3jia
06-26-2012, 02:33 AM
"We're trying to keep it as fluid and dynamic as possible. So the way we described it early on was that we're a relatively mass-market game so we can't make ridiculously hard combat, but we can make it hard to be amazing at it.

So you can stumble your way through 90% of fights as a casual player, but if you want to run into a fight, assassinate a guy on the move, immediately begin a kills chain, pick everybody off, switch between pistols and close combat moves and basically wipe everybody out without ever being touched, this should be quite tricky.

So we worked a lot on the archetypes, we worked a lot on base combat strategy of when you should use which move. We took out the need to lock onto anybody with the left trigger to keep it really, really fluid and we added running assassinations so you can charge enemies with any weapon.

We have multiple enemies attacking simultaneously now, so there's lots of little things that we put in. You can kick people off buildings - there's a new one for you."

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7571/article/ubisoft-assassin-s-creed-3-is-a-relatively-mass-market-game-so-combat-can-t-be-ridiculously-hard/

Acrimonious_Nin
06-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Sounds promising really :D

Marky2388
06-26-2012, 03:10 AM
This new creative director knows how to make Assassin's creed 3 better, everytime i hear something new it's always positive.

mockers00
06-26-2012, 03:21 AM
I like the fact that they are making it fluid and getting better = fluid kills but I hate the fact that they are not going to challenge me in combat. Or at least on certain missions or something. Hopefully he is talking about specifically for combat when you engage and maybe some missions will be challenging.

douglaswalkers
06-26-2012, 07:43 AM
The director of Assassin's Creed 3 get different types of words as a review. Alex Hutchinson told that, All people on the Internet suggest most boring setting. There are three most wanted WWII, Egypt and feudal Japan.

Moultonborough
06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
The director of Assassin's Creed 3 get different types of words as a review. Alex Hutchinson told that, All people on the Internet suggest most boring setting. There are three most wanted WWII, Egypt and feudal Japan.

Just curious, what does that have to do with difficulty? Now my thoughts about it, I don't really care whether it has a difficulty setting or not. I play AC for the gameplay and the story. Not because I want to see if I can beat it on a "Hard" setting.

obliviondoll
06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
"You can kick people off buildings - there's a new one for you."

Really? It's new?

I did it in the first game.

playassassins1
06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't know why combat should be hard. The combat in the frontier demo was very awesome, I'd imagine that you would have to practice allot to make it more fluid.
And this game isn't even fully about combat, so I don't really mind this combat difficulty.

eagleforlife1
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
[/FONT]
Really? It's new?

Really? How did you manage that?

playassassins1
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
[/FONT]
Really? It's new?

How? You could only grab someone and throw him off A building.

mockers00
06-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Pretty positive you can push people off buildings and you can do it in multiplayer to. I could be wrong but I am 70 percent sure there was a push animation of assassinating.

obliviondoll
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Really? How did you manage that?

Find enemy on rooftop. Wait until enemy tries to grab. Counter. One of the counter-grab animations has you twist their arm then kick them away... off the edge of the building.

Pretty positive you can push people off buildings and you can do it in multiplayer to. I could be wrong but I am 70 percent sure there was a push animation of assassinating.

There's no way to kill a player in multiplayer with a push off a building, but there are "grab kills" or "drop kills" where you PULL them off while hanging from the wall. In single player, you can push enemies off building by shoulder-charging into them, but it's awkward and not very reliable, so AC3 definitely does it more smoothly than in previous games. That doesn't mean you couldn't do it though.

dxsxhxcx
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Find enemy on rooftop. Wait until enemy tries to grab. Counter. One of the counter-grab animations has you twist their arm then kick them away... off the edge of the building.

I believe this time this will be more specific, like when we were able to kick brutes (I believe this was that archetype name) in ACB to break their defense, but this time we`ll be able to do it to throw them away.. I just hope this isn`t as easy as it sounds...

OT: sadly, it seems that Alex and/or anyone at Ubisoft never heard of difficulty settings, they exist exactly to give the players who like to be challenged that challenge without affect those who prefer to play the other way

WolfTemplar94
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
IT sounds good to be honest. I like the idea of the combat being easy, but hard to perfect/make it looks really cinematic. Hopefully that doesn't mean full notoriety will be too easy though. I hope it's like in Assassin's Creed one where, if you have notoriety, you poop yourself in fear.

GeneralTrumbo
06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Alex Hutchinson acts like everything in Assassins Creed is too complicated, ranging from the story and the gameplay. I just don't think he is all that great at games.

JCearlyyears
06-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Alex Hutchinson acts like everything in Assassins Creed is too complicated, ranging from the story and the gameplay. I just don't think he is all that great at games.
And judging from an interview on army of 2 the 40th day, he likes to rebuild games from the ground up. No lie, he said that in an interview for that game, I laughed so hard.
I don't have too much of a problem with Alex but I agree, I do think he acts like the game is too complicated. I'll be upset if the story is watered down for the new market they are reaching. I really hope the story stays good.

GeneralTrumbo
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
And judging from an interview on army of 2 the 40th day, he likes to rebuild games from the ground up. No lie, he said that in an interview for that game, I laughed so hard.
I don't have too much of a problem with Alex but I agree, I do think he acts like the game is too complicated. I'll be upset if the story is watered down for the new market they are reaching. I really hope the story stays good.

He seems to be a bit too focused on making games "simpler". I thought Assassins Creed was already simple enough. I like some complex mechanics in the games, anyway.

dxsxhxcx
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
He seems to be a bit too focused on making games "simpler". I thought Assassins Creed was already simple enough. I like some complex mechanics in the games, anyway.

IMO simple is good, at least sometimes is better than try to make complex things that won`t achieve much, like bomb crafting in ACR for example, I can count on my hand`s fingers how many types of bombs I used (when I was able to remember to use them, what barely happened since they weren`t necessary at all)...

GeneralTrumbo
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
IMO simple is good, at least sometimes is better than try to make complex things that won`t achieve much, like bomb crafting in ACR for example, I can count on my hand`s fingers how many types of bombs I used (when I was able to remember to use them, what barely happened since they weren`t necessary at all)...

Nothing in AC so far has been hard to wrap your mind around. The bombs were incredibly simple to craft and the weapon wheel was extremely easy to use.

MT4K
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
This new creative director knows how to make Assassin's creed 3 better, everytime i hear something new it's always positive.

@fhrthn
Did you just copy and paste somebody elses reply in the thread? lol If not that's pretty funny that you said the exact same thing :D.

playassassins1
06-26-2012, 04:39 PM
@fhrthn
Did you just copy and paste somebody elses reply in the thread? lol If not that's pretty funny that you said the exact same thing :D.

He did copy someones post, now and then spammers join the forums and they keep copying posts...

MT4K
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Ahh i see. I must have been lucky to miss a lot of them during my absence from the forums every now and again :P. Ty for the heads up :D.

BATISTABUS
06-27-2012, 06:23 AM
The only consequence seems to be that killing won't look as cool. That means nothing gameplay-wise.

Still, I was skimming through Game Informer today, and I read some stuff about 100% Synch. Obviously it will contain more difficult and stealth-based scenarios, but they also mentioned something vague about the rewards being more significant. I'm very excited about this.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm fine with that aproach, actually I think it's the best one. The important thing for me is that you can practice to get better in some way. And that there are a bunch of different moves to choose from that each has its usefullnes. In the demo they didn't really show that, which I guess is understandable. But I have hope still!

roostersrule2
06-27-2012, 07:48 AM
The new combat gameplay basically sums up AC gameplay in general. Easy to play but hard to make it look good.