PDA

View Full Version : Jesper Kyd wont be returning for AC3 your thoughts?

lonewarrior30
06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
As you probably may have noticed jesper kyd wont be returning for AC3 according to lorne balfes twitter https://twitter.com/#!/lornebalfe what are your thoughts? I liked lorne balfes soundtracks but they seemed kinda out of place

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I really liked Jesper Kyd in the previous games and I'm pretty upset that he isn't returning.

Turul.
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
incredibly disappointing.

De Filosoof
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
This is the only thing i'm worried about.
I've heard all Lorne Balfe's tracks on his website and i seriously think he can't make the same fitting atmospheric music like Jesper.

Bucur92
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM

Me too

playassassins1
I hate it!

FirestarLuva

True. :(

OriginalMiles
06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHv9acm3fF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4&feature=relmfu

You should know what I mean by now.
NOOOOOOO!

DylanJosh9
06-24-2012, 08:34 PM

stingray10
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm really disappointed, i loved his music in Revelations.

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
A great tragedy.

kriegerdesgottes
06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Not cool. What is going on here!? so not cool.

JCearlyyears
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Over reaction: No Jesper? Nah, I'm not gonna buy it. AC3 just lost a sale. It isn't ac without his music.

Lass4r
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Wait.... where does it say Jesper Kyd isn't returning? I see nothing on the Twitter page....

EDIT: Nvm, found it. So sad.

she-assassin
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
So sad. Words can't even begin to describe how extremely disappointed I am right now.

notafanboy
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
im disappointed, the music in the boston demo sounded great though

Dejan507
06-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok, everyone's talking about music in boston demo, could someone provide me with a good quality video because all that I found had terrible sound quality, but even so, the music did not sound anything specially good?
But anyway, I try to stay optimistic about this since AC Brotherhood soundtrack was plain boring (except for some songs) and AC Reveletions was incredible.

De Filosoof
06-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok, everyone's talking about music in boston demo, could someone provide me with a good quality video because all that I found had terrible sound quality, but even so, the music did not sound anything specially good?
But anyway, I try to stay optimistic about this since AC Brotherhood soundtrack was plain boring (except for some songs) and AC Reveletions was incredible.

Plain boring?! The soundtracks fit the atmosphere of the game perfectly.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
a risky and unpredictable turn, but perhaps for good... lorne was awesome but i dont know how good he is for bgm, his work in acr was mainly cutscenes..
i still like his work, from the look of ac's trailers and gameplay the bgm for cutscenes seems awesome again and i have to say i trust this guy

Dejan507
06-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Plain boring?! The soundtracks fit the atmosphere of the game perfectly.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Uhh, I do? It's called my opinion.
And honestly, I didn't say whole soundtrack sucked, that would be ridiculous, but it was dull.

Felix-Vivo
06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, I must be one of the only ones who, whilst still slightly sad, is not devastated. I loved Jesper Kyd's music. The Revelations soundtrack was great, and some of my favourite tracks were by him. (Byzantium, Crossed Swords, Istanbul, Welcome to Konstantiniyye) and of course, Ezio's Family and Home in Florence AC2.

However, an equal number of my favourites (You Have Earned Your Rest - epic - Scheduled For Deletion, The Revelation, Laboured and Lost, and of course the main Revelations theme) were Lorne Balfe. So, I'm happy at least that Lorne is returning.

I wonder why Jesper's not ?

AlphaAltair
06-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Well there goes one of the best parts of the franchise.

Azula2005
06-24-2012, 10:40 PM
What black magic is this?

Noooo! I shall not let this happen!
*Goes to Ubisoft and protests*

Requiscent
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I wonder why Jesper's not ?

Probably due to having quite the schedule, I also recall reading that he personally declined the score for Hitman: Absolution. I don't have the source on that though so don't quote me on it.

TheHumanTowel
06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
First no Jesper Kyd on Hitman and now this. Very disappointing. Bit worried about the score now.

playassassins1
06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Maybe, Ubi will be working on AC IV after this game comes out, And announce it 3-4 years later. Like AC III.

And jesper kyd might be working on the soundtrack of AC IV.

robytex06
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Without Kyd, it won't be an Assassin's Creed!! They are mad!

Acrimonious_Nin
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Good, now we can have a different atmosphere that will be unique in every way with Ratonhnhaké:ton as the protagonist :D. Apparently Ubisoft wasn't kidding when they said that they wanted a new atmosphere with this game and started from the ground up :p

FL4PPYflap
06-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Good, now we can have a different atmosphere that will be unique in every way with Ratonhnhaké:ton as the protagonist :D. Apparently Ubisoft wasn't kidding when they said that they wanted a new atmosphere with this game and started from the ground up :p

Jesper Kyd could have created that new atmosphere. :(

De Filosoof
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM

Where did ubisoft state that they wanted a "new atmosphere" for this game? I can remember that they said they wanted to replace old features with new ones, but a whole new atmosphere? It's AC right? If they wanted to make a totally different atmosphere they would have given him a clownsuit with a snowboard.
Jesper Kyd can make every atmosphere sound and feel good by the way.

jiajen
06-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Like Patrice, Jesper was part of the AC franchise from the first game so of course it's sad that he won't return for this installment. But I see this as a good opportunity for the franchise to refresh itself music-wise. Even if Jesper stayed on as the composer this would have been his 5th AC score/soundtrack in as many years, and there would be a real risk of things feeling stale. With Lorne Balfe, at least the music will sound fresh and different from before, even if you think his work is inferior to Jesper's. AC3 is an all-new experience: new assassin, new setting and time period, new animations, new combat etc, and now a new(ish) composer.

I think a good example to consider are the Harry Potter films. The directors changed every couple of installments, allowing slightly different takes in each film, each one bringing something new and interesting to the franchise. Why can't Lorne Balfe do the same for the AC games?

Blind2Society
06-25-2012, 02:41 AM
^ A darn good first post.

It still sucks Jesper is gone though.

jiajen
06-25-2012, 03:23 AM
^ Ah thank you.

When I saw this thread my reaction was the same. Then I realized that Revelations would be Jesper's final score for the franchise, for now at least. Kind of fitting that the game in which we say goodbye to so many memorable characters would also be the one which farewells the original composer.

SixKeys
06-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Extremely disappointed, though I already knew about this. Lorne Balfe is a good composer but a bit too Hans Zimmer-ish for my tastes. He may be good at creating epic, cinematic tracks but I'm not so sure about the more intimate, atmospheric tracks that Jesper was so good at.

kriegerdesgottes
06-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Extremely disappointed, though I already knew about this. Lorne Balfe is a good composer but a bit too Hans Zimmer-ish for my tastes. He may be good at creating epic, cinematic tracks but I'm not so sure about the more intimate, atmospheric tracks that Jesper was so good at.

Agreed. Jesper is great at creating that cool, creepy, emotional music as opposed to just big epic tracks but whatever I have a feeling Lorne will do fine.

Aphex_Tim
06-25-2012, 05:27 AM
I want answers! NAO!

But as long as Balfe's music won't be too overthetop-epic-Hans-Zimmerish-Hollywood-blockbuster orchestras like he did in Revelations it should be fine...
I have serious doubts though.

GLHS
06-25-2012, 05:40 AM
This is quite sad. AC is known for it's gorgeous music tracks. But, in all honesty, I don't think the team would let Lorne hand in a bad score. I think the music will still be fitting and still have a classic AC feel. Jesper is still one of my all time favorite game score composers though.

Acrimonious_Nin
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
This new artist is certainly going to be more equipped than Jesper kyde for sure(I doubt Ubisoft will down grade to a lesser skilled musician). Ubisoft clearly understands that the new protagonist's theme is going to need a new music to "Define" this new character with a new atmosphere that the environment brings. What kyde did with AC 2 - AC:R was really just make remixes with sounds that you here in previous sound tracks. It was quite unoriginal. So getting a new artist will bring in a new approach to the music making process :D. I am excited to hear this new soundtrack that they might release for us to download and how it fits with AC3, which most certainly will be AWESOME !

SixKeys
06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
This new artist is certainly going to be more equipped than Jesper kyde for sure(I doubt Ubisoft will down grade to a lesser skilled musician).

It's not about being less skilled, nobody is doubting Balfe's expertise as a composer. It's just that they have very different styles and even a very talented composer's particular style may not always suit the game in question.

And you think Kyd recycled the same sounds in his work? Did you even listen to Balfe's contributions to the ACR soundtrack? 98% of his tracks were some type of variation of the main theme. This is why I don't want him to compose a general "Assassin's Creed theme" for the series. Even if it's a good tune, it gets real old real fast when it's repeated over and over again in the same game.

Agentbarto
06-25-2012, 10:27 PM
God Ubi. Why!? It's odd, they say that ACIII will redeem the franchise in the eyes of the oldest of fans, that it will renew faith in the franchise's premise.
So why did they let Kyd leave? Geez, it's one thing to lose Kyd, it's another thing to replace him entirely with a newbie to the franchise from whom, I get the impression, we will be getting much more cinematic scores as opposed to music that precisely fits the mood of key moments in the game. Now I'm all for blending the line between the complexity of a game/franchise's storyline and a movie plot, but this is the beginning of a complete conversion. Dare I compare it to Sci-Fi becoming Syfy?

I'm rambling so enough. All I can say is that Kyd was incredibly key to what I enjoyed about AC, and it's sad to hear he's gone.

Jexx21
06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Jeremy Soule please.

Dieinthedark
06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I've never cared about the tracks before but Kyde changed that for me. He's amazing and this is very disappointing

CrazySN
06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Sometimes, I think this board just represents the minority of the population. I mean come on, what kind of person complains of a game sounding like a Hollywood blockbuster? If anything, that should be a compliment, since games should strive for quality story-telling that are just as good or even better than a Hollywood blockbuster film. I love Lorne Balfe precisely for this reason, since he can make a game feel just as awesome as any awesome film, and I think he deserves just as much or even more respect than Jesper Kyd.

JCearlyyears
06-25-2012, 11:58 PM
I think AC is more subtle though.

notafanboy
06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Sometimes, I think this board just represents the minority of the population. I mean come on, what kind of person complains of a game sounding like a Hollywood blockbuster? If anything, that should be a compliment, since games should strive for quality story-telling that are just as good or even better than a Hollywood blockbuster film. I love Lorne Balfe precisely for this reason, since he can make a game feel just as awesome as any awesome film, and I think he deserves just as much or even more respect than Jesper Kyd.

thing is... this isn´t a blockbuster film, its a game. Plus, these huge "epic" orchestras hurts my ears, its a big mess of instruments.

JCearlyyears
06-26-2012, 12:40 AM
I like Kyd because the tracks fit perfectly(for me anyway) not too epic, not too lame. If the situation calls for a certain tone, it seems like Jesper always had it. That's my opinion. I'm not so sure about "huge epic orchestras" being a big mess of instruments, it's all coordinated, but there is a lot going on so I understand what you mean.

Acrimonious_Nin
06-26-2012, 01:24 AM
How about Hans Zimmer. I think the game would have an epicly perfect soundtrack with him making tracks for AC3. I think he did a fairly awesome job with Gladiators "Now we are free" song... since AC is about freedom and stuff >_>

SixKeys
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM

Hollywood is known for being wholly uninventive and going for the lowest common denominator. That's why every movie score sounds the same these days. They're all trying to mimic each other because they think a certain sound is needed to create that "epic" feel, without considering that other styles can be just as powerful. Are you saying AC1 and AC2's soundtracks didn't do anything for you? That they didn't do their job at creating an immersive atmosphere, getting you pumped for the moments you had to escape or make you feel tension when you were stalking a target or trying to sneak past security undetected? Not every piece of music needs to sound like Inception to make you feel something.

Games are not movies. Games should be respected as their own form of entertainment. They can have movie-like moments, but whenever a game strives too hard to be more like a movie, it starts to fail as a game. I don't play games to watch 10-minute long cut scenes where I have no input. When a game makes me feel something, it should do that on its own terms, not because "this is what they would do in Hollywood".

Acrimonious_Nin
06-26-2012, 01:53 AM
I agree leave the hollywood stuff to a minimum.

CrazySN
06-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Hollywood is known for being wholly uninventive and going for the lowest common denominator. That's why every movie score sounds the same these days. They're all trying to mimic each other because they think a certain sound is needed to create that "epic" feel, without considering that other styles can be just as powerful. Are you saying AC1 and AC2's soundtracks didn't do anything for you? That they didn't do their job at creating an immersive atmosphere, getting you pumped for the moments you had to escape or make you feel tension when you were stalking a target or trying to sneak past security undetected? Not every piece of music needs to sound like Inception to make you feel something.

Games are not movies. Games should be respected as their own form of entertainment. They can have movie-like moments, but whenever a game strives too hard to be more like a movie, it starts to fail as a game. I don't play games to watch 10-minute long cut scenes where I have no input. When a game makes me feel something, it should do that on its own terms, not because "this is what they would do in Hollywood".

I disagree. I like Hollywood music because they're good at making you immersed in the story with their music and that's why I want games to sound more like Hollywood. When you listen to Hollywood music, you can really feel the sense of emotion that the character is feeling. Like for example, here's a scene from the Dark Knight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obYNbQXCnx8

Now if there was just your average video game music, you wouldn't feel the same kind heroic urgency that Batman would feel. Jesper Kyd is good at making immersive music for some area's, but I don't think he's capable of making music of this type of caliber. Lorne Balfe is. You can see this when you compare AC:R and AC2:

Here's the carriage moment from AC:R:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGZP06Vwnc
Note how the music really makes you feel Ezio's struggle and desperation to get to the Templar.

Now here's the AC2 carriage moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uej4Xh8M0CI
Despite being chased by 100's of soldiers while simultaneously having to protect Leonardo, the music just sounds like a casual ride to get to the beach or something.

I really believe that game's should strive to be more like movies, as movies are immersive, and games that can achieve the same kind of immersion can truly create a great experience.

Dtanobo
06-26-2012, 05:43 AM
I don't know, I love Jesper's music so much but I think you guys may be letting the name get the better of you. I have a strong feeling that if they said that Jesper Kyd made AC3's soundtrack when it wasn't, people would still praise it. Name has an incredible influence on opinions. Regardless, I'm sad but I'm still very excited to see what they've come up with. If the new guy made the song for the cinematic, then well done.

De Filosoof
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM

http://www.redlandbayhomoeopathy.com.au/uploads/images/sheeple.jpg

De Filosoof
06-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't know, I love Jesper's music so much but I think you guys may be letting the name get the better of you. I have a strong feeling that if they said that Jesper Kyd made AC3's soundtrack when it wasn't, people would still praise it. Name has an incredible influence on opinions. Regardless, I'm sad but I'm still very excited to see what they've come up with. If the new guy made the song for the cinematic, then well done.

No he didn't, that track was awesome, i agree.
He did the modern warfare 2 soundtrack though and it's not even close to Jesper Kyd's music.

playassassins1
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I trust Ubisoft and Lorne, so I'm not worrying about it anymore.

MT4K
06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I trust Ubisoft and Lorne, so I'm not worrying about it anymore.

Same overall. We have already heard (kind of) the new main theme and i thought it sounded pretty good. Wonder if they will let us hear it properly though before release :P.

Jesper was awesome sure, but not all change is bad. Who knows. Maybe Lorne will surprise everybody and create an amazing AC feel that also feels frresh and new like everything else about the game.

GeneralTrumbo
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d4st4n96
06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
As you probably may have noticed jesper kyd wont be returning for AC3 according to lorne balfes twitter https://twitter.com/#!/lornebalfe what are your thoughts? I liked lorne balfes soundtracks but they seemed kinda out of place
No JESPER? :O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

kalo.yanis
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm still rather upset about this. I'll miss Kyd's music.

freddie_1897
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
they could go one up and hire john williams to do the score? XD

Razrback16
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Will miss him. Epic soundtracks in the other games. The music really helps to build the environment in the game. Such a great job he did.

POP1Fan
06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
If the music in the trailers we have is made by the new guy that makes the music in the game I don't see a problem, because it is very good. I hope it sounds like that, but this is still a sad thing.
But remember that AC2 bought him as a new composer and it was good, maybe it will be the same with AC3.

Ferrith
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Jesper Kyd was one of the reasons I fell in love with AC series.

lonewarrior30
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Jesper Kyd was one of the reasons I felt in love with AC series.

this

skyw4lker66
06-27-2012, 04:49 PM
This is the only thing i'm worried about.
I've heard all Lorne Balfe's tracks on his website and i seriously think he can't make the same fitting atmospheric music like Jesper.

I'm as sad that Jesper isn't doing it as you are. But I have to disagree. Balfe did a great job with Revelations. It was an entirely different setting (Constantinople) so that left an opportunity open for new sort of middle eastern music. AC3 will be in America so that means Balfe will have a new opportunity open for some old timey/dramatic american music which will be awesome. Jesper did great in Italy, and his partnership with Balfe was awesome in Constantinople. So I think we should see how Balfe does on his own in America

thefreeman28989
06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Lorne Balfe is good, but I had such an incredible connection with Jesper's music. My favorite music written for any game series. It won't be the same without him. Not saying it won't be good, but definitely not the same.

ivetusmcsat8202
06-27-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm shocked and pretty disappointed about this. Jesper Kyd was the other 50% of the game for me in AC through ACR. Pretty disappointed.

kudos17
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
As someone who greatly appreciates the effect music can have in a video game, I must admit that this does not disappoint me in that sense. Maybe in the sense that Kyd has been a part of the AC series for awhile now, but I believe others can have just as good an impact in terms of atmospheric music. Maybe not in Kyd's style, but it doesn't need to be - new game, new setting, new music.

His departure is a little sad in that regard, but I'm intrigued to learn what his work will be replaced with. Most of his work in AC2 and Revelations scored big points with me, I wonder if anything in AC3 will top it. We shall see.

BRANDONxPRODIGY
06-27-2012, 10:44 PM
sad times. who is doing the soundtrack?

Ferrith
06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know about you, guys and galls, but the music in the AC III trailers is the least impressive, in my opinion.
Never has it been a good idea to change a winning horse.

GeneralTrumbo
06-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't know about you, guys and galls, but the music in the AC III trailers is the least impressive, in my opinion.
Never has it been a good idea to change a winning horse.

It fits the atmosphere well. The atmosphere in all of the other games was completely different from what we have now. Deal with it.

Jexx21
06-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Seriously, Jeremy Soule.

Need moar Skyim in AC3.

Ferrith
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
It fits the atmosphere well. The atmosphere in all of the other games was completely different from what we have now. Deal with it.

This is your opinion. Mine differs. Learn to accept that different people have different tastes.

BATISTABUS
06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/assassins-creed-iii/videos/assassins-creed-iii-breathing-new-life-into-the-franchise-6367960/

Does anyone know if the music in this video will be used in-game? I especially like the piece at the end.

Sarari
06-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Omg, don't even get me started about this. All the great memories I've had with Assassin's Creed from the first game till Revelations were all because of Jesper. This guy made phenomenal music and really moved me with the series. From City of Jerusalem to Ezio's Story, this guy made Assassin's Creed my life. I wish he'd stay :(

KratosKicksButt
06-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Watching part of the NOOOO video Chucky scared the sh*t out of me.

XToastySniperX
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
I simply cannot believe Jesper Kyd is leaving and not composing the score for this game. Now you're telling me we have some dude named Lorne Balfe who makes tracks that sound like movie trailers? Bahumbug, I've got no hope for the soundtrack at this point.

I mean, I watched the hunting demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKz8MiipZfI) and what I heard was... disappointing. At the beginning it was actually quite good, very ambient and very fitting of the setting. But, low and behold, just like in every Hollywood blockbuster, the second it shows Connor running its (DUN DUNDU NDUN BLAW BLAW BLAW EPIC EPIC LOUD LOUD). It's like, no. Just stop. We don't need BLAWBLAW EPIC LOUD every time he's running. That's what I liked about Jesper Kyd, because one, his music wasn't Hollywood recycled garbage. Two, he didn't HAVE to do that to get somebody immersed.

He didn't HAVE to use epic music to fit the scene. He did and could when he wanted to, and to great effect. But I fear this guy won't know when to let up. That's all I expect to hear in the game whenever something remotely exciting happens. *goes to cutscene where target is sneaking into a back alley* *mission objective: stalk target in the shadows* *all of a sudden... abnormally, huge, Hans Zimmer Inception esque music even though all you are doing is trailing the target from a safe distance*

It's seriously ridiculous. If I hear this crap for the first hour I play the game, I'm just turning the **** music off and playing the ACII soundtrack in iTunes instead. Contrary to popular belief, the same type of epic-scores you hear in trailers for the Dark Knight doesn't need to be vomited all over the place, especially in a game where previous composers such as Jesper or Soule did phenomenal jobs of being more ambient, or all around just fitting the mood and doing what they saw fit.

Now we've got a guy who thinks he's a student of Hans Zimmer. Greeaaattt... I won't judge it just yet, but I've got a bad feeling. And like I said, if the music is this stupid crap for the first hour of the game, I'm just saying goodbye to it and will replace it with ACTUAL Assassin's Creed soundtracks.

/endrant

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I simply cannot believe Jesper Kyd is leaving and not composing the score for this game. Now you're telling me we have some dude named Lorne Balfe who makes tracks that sound like movie trailers? Bahumbug, I've got no hope for the soundtrack at this point.

I mean, I watched the hunting demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKz8MiipZfI) and what I heard was... disappointing. At the beginning it was actually quite good, very ambient and very fitting of the setting. But, low and behold, just like in every Hollywood blockbuster, the second it shows Connor running its (DUN DUNDU NDUN BLAW BLAW BLAW EPIC EPIC LOUD LOUD). It's like, no. Just stop. We don't need BLAWBLAW EPIC LOUD every time he's running. That's what I liked about Jesper Kyd, because one, his music wasn't Hollywood recycled garbage. Two, he didn't HAVE to do that to get somebody immersed.

He didn't HAVE to use epic music to fit the scene. He did and could when he wanted to, and to great effect. But I fear this guy won't know when to let up. That's all I expect to hear in the game whenever something remotely exciting happens. *goes to cutscene where target is sneaking into a back alley* *mission objective: stalk target in the shadows* *all of a sudden... abnormally, huge, Hans Zimmer Inception esque music even though all you are doing is trailing the target from a safe distance*

It's seriously ridiculous. If I hear this crap for the first hour I play the game, I'm just turning the **** music off and playing the ACII soundtrack in iTunes instead. Contrary to popular belief, the same type of epic-scores you hear in trailers for the Dark Knight doesn't need to be vomited all over the place, especially in a game where previous composers such as Jesper or Soule did phenomenal jobs of being more ambient, or all around just fitting the mood and doing what they saw fit.

Now we've got a guy who thinks he's a student of Hans Zimmer. Greeaaattt... I won't judge it just yet, but I've got a bad feeling. And like I said, if the music is this stupid crap for the first hour of the game, I'm just saying goodbye to it and will replace it with ACTUAL Assassin's Creed soundtracks.

/endrant

That is so un-accurate it's not even funny.
If ''loud music'' means hollywood garbage than AC1 Chase Theme, Venice Rooftops, and all of the chase themes are ''garbage'' too you. There is nothing wrong in tense music, tense music can be beutyfull at the same time. Let me tell you, if that music was not played, instead something similar too Ezio's family played, would it have had the same impact? no.

NeroInfernoF7
07-05-2012, 11:56 PM
http://puu.sh/G9X1

XToastySniperX
07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I acknowledged, in my messy, rushed post that Jesper Kyd didn't HAVE to but COULD and HAS done so in the past. That's the thing, he is versatile. He uses epic moments when needed, and it builds the most amazing atmosphere, from the chases through Jerusalem to the rooftops in beautiful Venice. He builds atmosphere with the epicness, but the difference is his style of heavy music is different than Hans Zimmer and especially Lorne.

Lorne Balfe just seems to copy what everybody else is doing. The same old Dark Knight and Inception stuff, which does not fit the subtlety and style that Jesper brought. It's good to bring a new experience and all to the Assassin's Creed franchise. They even said that it would please old fans. How in the **** are you supposed to please old fans when one, you get rid of the guy who really helped build the atmosphere, and replace him with a dude who writes music for the next Michael Bay film?

A better way to express this is by comparison. I want to hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH1wfrOcvHg

Look in the description and listen to the Venice Combat Low and Venice Escape. That's epic, without this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1B3Mgklfd0

Or: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS19lNoMS2Y

Now, if this guy can make some epic tracks that actually fit the dang time period and setting and atmosphere similar to that of Jesper, that would be very pleasing and calming. For example, Lorne's work alongside Zimmer in Sherlock Holmes was phenomenal in my opinion. Was it still JUST a bit too epic for my tastes? Perhaps, but then that's just my opinion.

Still though, the epicness has that old time England feel to it that really helps it build the big suspense and excitement, while not being over the top and still compliments the atmosphere the film was trying to create. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLodky50zM&feature=related

Now, if THAT'S the type of work he's bringing, I'm not too concerned. Because then it has become more of like Jesper Kyd's more epic work with Lorne's own spin.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Balfe created the AC:B trailer music. He worked on Revelations, Yusuf's death, Darim and Altair and the main theme. It was nothing like the Inception score, SPECIALLY Mind Heist. Really, you are overreacting.

XToastySniperX
07-06-2012, 01:56 AM
I found most of his work in Revelations quite lack-luster. Of course he did good work in the AC:B trailer, because his type of music always works well in action trailers.

HaSoOoN-MHD
07-06-2012, 02:51 AM
I loved his work in Revelations. Specially the one in Yusufs death.

Victor9810
07-06-2012, 04:07 AM
He's not returning?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Jarek23
08-29-2012, 06:21 AM
This news might be a bit old, and sorry to bump this thread but really? this is news to me and its sad...jesper made the game that much better, and while balfe is good, I don't think he could capture the looping atmospheric brilliance jesper can pull off so easily, this is very disappointing news.

HisSpiritLives
08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
His music was fenomenal. :(

SevketErhat
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Play Darksiders II instead. His work resembles AC games so much