PDA

View Full Version : senseless races in assassian creed games

eternal noobski
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Dear Developers

Please, please, do not put these senseless, and at times near impossible, races into Assassian's Creed III. They only take time and fun out of the game.
No one wants to spend 30-60 minutes of watsed game time to learn the course of the race. This is game time that could be spent doing things in the game that are
actually fun. At times these races can all but completely ruin a great game. So, I ask you to please stop with the race sequences, thank you.

Thank you much,
eternal noobski

Assassin_M
06-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I like the Races, you`re bad at them, then that's your problem..

SixKeys
06-23-2012, 09:49 PM
I like the Races, you`re bad at them, then that's your problem..

Agreed.

D.I.D.
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I like the races, but I have found they're a bit more difficult now I'm using an XBox controller and not mouse/keys.

Anyway, OP: don't think you've got to go at breakneck speed the whole time. Going too fast is unnecessary, and that's when you'll make mistakes. Just like a racing game, slow down or stop if you've got to make a sharp movement.

Sushiglutton
06-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Building this amazing parkour system and not having some form of races would be pretty weird imo. Oh and listen to doubleclick. That's the approach I use too. U have plenty of time to play it safe.

naran6142
06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
i was surprised the races werent in ACR, we could have really tested out the hook blade

anyways, i like em

De Filosoof
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
i was surprised the races werent in ACR, we could have really tested out the hook blade

anyways, i like em

Yeah, where were they?! I missed them.
There are so many things wrong with that game.
I discovered this week that you can counter attack EVERY enemy with a random click on B (the hookblade), even guys with spears. That's really easy and bad.

tarrero
I like those missions, and what I would hope to make a comeback though, is "hard" platforming visions like on AC2 and brotherhood, on revelations were a little bit easier, and that was because of some complaints ubisoft received from some "bad" players...

SixKeys

anyways, i like em

There were several, actually. Some of them were tied to 100% sync, like "beat Yusuf to Topkapi Palace" or beating a random citizen in a race before making him your apprentice.

I kind of wish that if races were to return in some form in AC3, there would be more ways than one to beating them. In AC1 some missions required you to reach an informer in a given amount of time and you were free to use whatever route you thought was best to get there. For example you could have somebody challenge you to a horse race through the Frontier but you could choose to take shortcuts, confusing the hell out the other guy: "How did you get here so fast?!".

De Filosoof
06-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I like those missions, and what I would hope to make a comeback though, is "hard" platforming visions like on AC2 and brotherhood, on revelations were a little bit easier, and that was because of some complaints ubisoft received from some "bad" players...

Seriously?! Now that's ****ed.

tarrero
06-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Seriously?! Now that's ****ed.

Yes, in one of the interviews regarding ACR, the lead writer of the game, said that, since they had integrated those levels into main quest, the challenge would be "different" aka, if you ask me, easier....

AnthonyA85
06-24-2012, 01:41 AM
i wouldn't mind if they put races in AC3, as long as they're completely optional. I did none of the races in AC1, only the mandatory race in Florence and the horse race in forli, and the assassin recruit who wants a race in Revelations, I just ignore him. even though the constant yelling of "Assassin!" makes me want to kill him. :p

MetalCreed
06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
I wasn't much of a race fan in the AC series, but the storyline races were fun in AC2.
It was good in ACB too, but I didn't have much interest in doing the side missions.

I think it should be pretty fun with the addition of trees.

DarkDreamer95
06-24-2012, 05:08 AM
It was awesome when I finally got full sync in the "Young at Heart" race in ACB :) It was sorta frustrating at first, but once you get into the rhythm, it's only a matter of time till you own that thief :P

BATISTABUS
06-24-2012, 07:05 AM
you`re bad at them, then that's your problem..
That's how I feel about mandatory stealth missions.

I don't understand why people want an easy game. If a game is hard (because of level design, not controls), then that's great for the players. It increases the hours of gameplay and the satisfaction of completing a level. I know Ubisoft wants to keep up their 50% game completion by players, but I really think they need to just try to make the best game possible and crack down. That, or at least create a difficulty option.

WolfTemplar94
06-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I think they should make the races more interesting. It's the fact that they're usually really boring that I hate. They should do what Rockstar do and have events like scaffolding falling.

massmurdera_666
06-24-2012, 07:57 AM
to the OP, you're obviously new to the series and haven't had the most time to get used to this type of gameplay that others and i have had, since this is your first post on the forums and you're *****ing about, at most non-mandatory, races. so i'm not totally going to bash you for sucking at them or the game, all i'm going to say is practice. memorize the routes and practice outside of the mission, and when you feel that you've got it, give it a shot. that's what i did in ACB against that thief, which out all the games so far was the hardest i've ever done.

kriegerdesgottes
06-24-2012, 08:05 AM
I personally agree I hate the races too but to each his own I guess.

masterfenix2009
06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
That's how I feel about mandatory stealth missions.

I don't understand why people want an easy game. If a game is hard (because of level design, not controls), then that's great for the players. It increases the hours of gameplay and the satisfaction of completing a level. I know Ubisoft wants to keep up their 50% game completion by players, but I really think they need to just try to make the best game possible and crack down. That, or at least create a difficulty option.
I usually find easier better. A hard game makes me want to throw my controller.

kriegerdesgottes
06-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I usually find easier better. A hard game makes me want to throw my controller.

Agreed

BATISTABUS
06-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Agreed
I feel old for saying this, but you kids these days and your instant gratification. This type of "I want to beat a game without trying" mentality is telling developers that they don't need to be creative when creating missions. To make games longer without challenge, they throw in pointless treasure hunts or grinding objectives, rather than a mission that makes you think, talk about it with your friends, or employ any real skill. If you just want to cruise through the game without having to strain yourself at all, why don't you just watch a play-through on Youtube?

kriegerdesgottes
06-25-2012, 05:13 AM
I feel old for saying this, but you kids these days and your instant gratification. This type of "I want to beat a game without trying" mentality is telling developers that they don't need to be creative when creating missions. To make games longer without challenge, they throw in pointless treasure hunts or grinding objectives, rather than a mission that makes you think, talk about it with your friends, or employ any real skill. If you just want to cruise through the game without having to strain yourself at all, why don't you just watch a play-through on Youtube?

First of all I'm not a kid. I'm dangerously close to 30. Secondly some people enjoy freedom over restriction, imagine that. What you kids don't understand when you cry about lack of stealth or combat being too easy is that it's not fun for everyone when you HAVE to play a certain way or it's super hard to beat something that you throw your controller. Why would anyone enjoy difficulty? I hate math, You know why? It's hard. and Ubisoft is aware of that. The whole point of the franchise is just that, Freedom. The freedom to play however you want to play. Brotherhood and Revelations took that away a little. The first game and to a slightly lesser degree ACII emphasized freedom to the player to play stealthily if you want and if you want to go rambo style then you can do that too. They are trying to appease everyone by making you a killing machine which you should be anyway considering you are a freaking master assassin after all but still make it difficult to do it with skill. I think that's a good balance but people will complain anyway if it's not impossible and then if they did, You'd complain about how it's too hard.

BATISTABUS
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm not going to have a philosophical argument with you about putting effort into things.

You speak of freedom, but for who? No matter how I try to play the game, it isn't hard. It's not even about stealth. Yes, I think stealth would make the game more interesting experience with untapped potential that would set it apart from most games today. Even so, if the genre refuses to make stealth it's main focus, I still want a challenge. In previous games, it's been about deciding between hiding in two bushes and then climbing a wall, or button-mashing my way through enemies. What if I want to restrict myself by taking off all of my armor? Can't do that (at least in previous games). Equipping weapons with lower stats doesn't make the game harder, it just makes enemies take longer to beat. If anything, the combo chains and secondary weapons in Brotherhood and Revelations only emphasized the "Rambo" play-style. They say they're revamping the combat so you need proper timing to kill everyone in a fluid way, but is there any punishment for not doing it? How come you can choose the easy way, but there is no difficult way for me to choose?

It's been confirmed that health will only re-generate outside of battle, and there may potentially be a New Game + mode. There have also been multiple additions to the stealth Pillar. If all of these additions work out, I will be a very happy player. Yes there has been the freedom to play how you want, but the freedom has not been equal. Hardcore players seem to want difficulty and stealth, so why is it so wrong for us to ask for these things when they're not present? You've had plenty of games to play the way you want, and you seem to treasure the idea of players playing how they want. Why do you take such issue in me expressing how I would like to play?

I understand I may never get my way because video game developers nowadays just feel the need to appeal to casual audiences. Many players have low attention spans and give up too quickly. They'll get stuck for 10 minutes and never touch the game again, and developers clearly want people to finish their games. We can both have our way, but a difficult setting isn't anything more than an afterthought that might not even make it into the game. Even if hardcore gamers aren't seen as the majority anymore, we shouldn't be ignored.

BeCk41
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
What??? Who doesn't like the races??? they were my favorite part of the Assassins Creed games among others, they were something different apart from assassinating people for a change, but since the new game is in the Revolution I don't think we'll see them incorporated.

Pedantic_roc
10-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't mind the races and learning the route only serves to improve my over all chase ability. However, I freaking hate the timed lairs. As suggested, I do practice the routes and don't worry too much about the time it initially takes but - when I go for that lever - the camera screws up completely. Also, It's like suddenly I have no control and there's some kind of auto assist at work. For example, if I press circle to grab I fall because the game appears to read it as drop. The camera angle locks at certain points and at others appears to turn automatically. Learning how to get through by pressing the controls in a peculiar way does my head in. I get them done but I don't enjoy them the least bit. I did enjoy grabbing a feather during a horse chase though. LOL - it was an entirely spur of the moment thing for me. I thought, blow the race - just jump up and get that feather - and, lo and behold, I just hopped straight through it, over a couple of beams, and landed back on my horse and closed for the kill. That was a good feeling and one which I only wish there was more of to be had for players of my ability.

berserker134
10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I just wouldn't do them if you dont like tem dont play them

Markaccus
10-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Its the old 'something for everyone' argument, really, isn't it. Been reading this thread, and no one seems to have a bad argument (appart from the odd jibe about people being bad players). I'm not keen on the races, and avoid the optional ones, but it is necesary to sharpen up free running skills for the bits where you have to chase someone down and nail their testicles to the wall. I'd rate my own personal free running skill at fair-good. I can understand if people aren't as good at that particular skill, but they are probably better at the stealth side of things.

Pedantic_roc
10-02-2012, 03:19 PM
That's a really constructive piece of input there besrker134.

I "do" like them, lairs in general, but not the ones where the freaking camera angles get screwed up - which are the timed ones - if you read my post properly. The R3 button appears to be disabled and the L3 look too. Funny thing is, when you haven't pulled "the lever" all the controls - including the camera - work as normal and as expected. It's when you "do" pull that lever, everything goes awry. That's what does my head in, learning all the moves again with some girlie bloused up, down, left, and right spatial screen orientation mode (1980's mode) instead of proper 3rd person view and orientation which is what I'm good at.

kriegerdesgottes
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't like the races either. They seem pointless and unrealistic. Why would some stranger just walk up and be like hey I heard you're fast. We should race. Also I just hate time limits in general.

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
The races are all amazing. I loved the Brotherhood ones.
About difficulty, yes, the new combat system does indeed punish you for not doing everything perfectly, and rewards you for doing everything perfectly. I've seen videos of people getting their but kicked. And as for stealth, firing lines are going to make that a much bigger priority.

nitres15
10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
i loved the races, why ? Because of venice rooftops soundtrack ... you dummy.

LightRey
10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Skill is meant to be gained for life, not video games. Being skilled in a video game is a waste if it's not applicable to real life, and it often isn't.

MT4K
10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Skill is meant to be gained for life, not video games. Being skilled in a video game is a waste if it's not applicable to real life, and it often isn't.

Are you crazy? I've lost count how many times i've had to rely on my superior button pressing abilities to overcome life's greatest challenges....

Calvarok
10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Becoming skilled at a video game is not a waste of time. In fact it's good for your mind. And entertainment will always be derived from learning something new.

LightRey
10-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Becoming skilled at a video game is not a waste of time. In fact it's good for your mind. And entertainment will always be derived from learning something new.
I never said being skilled at a video game can't be good for you. I said that it's pointless unless it's good for you in real life. Video games can sharpen the mind, but come on, there is a line, one that is crossed all too often by "hardcore gamers".

D.I.D.
10-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I never said being skilled at a video game can't be good for you. I said that it's pointless unless it's good for you in real life. Video games can sharpen the mind, but come on, there is a line, one that is crossed all too often by "hardcore gamers".

AC games really aren't ever in the league of a "hardcore" game though.

Sure, you can soften the difficulty even more, but to me it's pointless to reduce a game to being a somewhat interactive drama. Games get away with all kinds of crimes in the stakes of fictional standards for the very reason that they are games; we cut them a lot of slack. If you take away the shield of their "game-ness", then you would have to make massive improvements to their qualities as dramas to give them a point as entertainment. AC is a lot closer to being an exceptional game series than it is an exceptional storytelling experience.

LightRey
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
AC games really aren't ever in the league of a "hardcore" game though.

Sure, you can soften the difficulty even more, but to me it's pointless to reduce a game to being a somewhat interactive drama. Games get away with all kinds of crimes in the stakes of fictional standards for the very reason that they are games; we cut them a lot of slack. If you take away the shield of their "game-ness", then you would have to make massive improvements to their qualities as dramas to give them a point as entertainment. AC is a lot closer to being an exceptional game series than it is an exceptional storytelling experience.
Hey, I never said anything about AC. AC is doing just fine difficulty-wise imo. Not too hard, not too easy.