PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview with Alex Hutchinson (AC3 creative director), including community Q&A

loomer979
06-20-2012, 05:29 PM
This interview includes the community questions you might have seen me solicit here a few weeks ago, so thanks for participating. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP32Oxq7QI

RatonhnhakeFan
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Thank you loomer! :D *watches*

Requiscent
06-20-2012, 05:37 PM
I love these, great job man!

True_Assassin92
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Great interview! You sound quite nervous :p which is understandable ofcourse. Thanks for sharing and representing the community :D!

loomer979
06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Great interview! You sound quite nervous :p which is understandable ofcourse. Thanks for sharing and representing the community :D!

Thanks, though I actually wasn't nervous at all. My voice might sound a little shaky just because that's how it sounds when I have to talk that loudly in an noisy environment like that sadly.

JCearlyyears
06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kIfOjkB17BA
Good interview.

MT4K
06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Good job as usual Loomer.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Regenerating health, nice. In most games, I would be against that. But medicine made combat way too easy in AC series, esp when you had tons of cash and never had to worry about running out of medicine. So back to AC1 style is a plus here IMO

playassassins1
06-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Awesome, still no update on Desmond though....

freddie_1897
06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
im stagnant94, he asked 3 of my questions.

ftw

JCearlyyears
06-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Awesome, still no update on Desmond though....

Good, it'll be a surprise.

Biomedical-Fire
06-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Good interview loomer very nicely done, it's great to see him answer some questions from the community.

Acrimonious_Nin
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Good, it'll be a surprise.

So I take it that you like surprises ?

egriffin09
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
I like when Alex said that if your notoriety fill all the way up, it will be more punishing in AC III. I play AC stealthy, so my notoriety never fills all the way up. But maybe this will help stop people from running through the game un-assassin like. Like seriously I watch some playthroughs of AC games on Youtube and 99% of them don't care about notoriety, they just run through it like it's Assassins Creed of Duty.

kriegerdesgottes
06-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I like when Alex said that if your notoriety fill all the way up, it will be more punishing in AC III. I play AC stealthy, so my notoriety never fills all the way up. But maybe this will help stop people from running through the game un-assassin like. Like seriously I watch some playthroughs of AC games on Youtube and 99% of them don't care about notoriety, they just run through it like it's Assassins Creed of Duty.

Some people don't like to play stealthily as Alex correctly pointed out. If the player is forced to play stealthily then is sucks for people like me who plays 80% Rambo style and like 20 %stealthy. From the way Alex talks about the franchise it really seems to me he gets what's so great about the AC. I'm glad he ended up being the new Creative Director.

Turul.
06-20-2012, 07:29 PM
finally!

egriffin09
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
I wish one of the questions would have been: "Will Connor be able to throw his tomahawk at enemies, then go and pick it up?"

AnthonyA85
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
A very good interview Loomer :)

Too bad Alex didn't explain a bit more about the full notoriety consequences. I hope that the guards will be able to spot connor while he's trying to blend with people when the notoriety meter is full (which would essentially neutralize crowd blending, that'd definitely make it more challenging)

Though i am kinda disappointed that Loomer didn't bring up the new targeting system, and if we will be able to target different parts of a target's body (it was mentioned in an article a while back, i'd just like a little more clarification on it.

Sushiglutton
06-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Awesome stuff! Very ambitious to try to interview so many and pretty sick u succeeded, congrats :)! I think almost everything sounds awesome. One thing in particular I like is the new health system. Also Alex seems to have a good philospohy in terms of not doing too gamey things, but rather keep it "realistic". New noteriety system sounds a lot better as well.

playassassins1
06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Still sad about no update on Desmond...

LightRey
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Still sad about no update on Desmond...
They rarely go into specifics about what's going on with Desmond and what little info they give they usually give only in the last few months before the game is released.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Still sad about no update on Desmond...They're not gonna say anything before the game releases. Everything Desmond is probably one big spoiler. They did say that there won't be first-person puzzles though I think ;P

FirestarLuva
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks a lot Loomer. :)

SixKeys
06-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Great interview, way more interesting than anything the big game news sites have come up with. They all just ask the same questions over and over again.

I'm really curious about what they have in store for notoriety and how it's supposed to be more punishing this time around ("more punishing than Den Defence?" - ooh, burn! ;) ). Kind of disappointed that Alex confirmed the amount of outfits will probably be equal to the previous games, I was hoping that instead of 10 armor sets we'd get 10 different skins this time. I hope the level of character customization will still be expanded.

Turul.
06-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Great interview, way more interesting than anything the big game news sites have come up with. They all just ask the same questions over and over again.

I'm really curious about what they have in store for notoriety and how it's supposed to be more punishing this time around ("more punishing than Den Defence?" - ooh, burn! ;) ). Kind of disappointed that Alex confirmed the amount of outfits will probably be equal to the previous games, I was hoping that instead of 10 armor sets we'd get 10 different skins this time. I hope the level of character customization will still be expanded.

i bet they ask only questions they know will probably be answered since they probably get a very limited amount of time, so they don't want to come out of the interview with less than someonoe else, since it's their job.

Loomer on the other hand, doesn't have the same concerns, therefore is able to ask questions hardcore AC fans wanna know

and i really hope there is some there is some customization. i'd like to go for a more native american look....it's just so much cooler

RatonhnhakeFan
06-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I was hoping that instead of 10 armor sets we'd get 10 different skins this time
We will.

In DLC and pre-order bonuses trolololo [/Ubisoft]

Assassin_M
06-21-2012, 12:38 AM
I like Alex.. He seems like the guy who has more colorful reactions to out of limit questions, I was amused at each time he answered these type of questions..
I was actually frustrated each time Corey said "No comment". I know Its not his fault xD, but still I just wanted to hit my screen every time he said that..

So anyways, great interview, definitely more insight on some mechanics and Alex seems to have a good vision to where and how the game will go..

SixKeys
06-21-2012, 02:15 AM
We will.

In DLC and pre-order bonuses trolololo [/Ubisoft]

I wouldn't even mind that, since Ubisoft always eventually releases the DLC and pre-order skins to everyone for free. It might take a while, but at least we'd get to use them. It would just suck if we got only two or three actually cool skins (like the captain's outfit) and several recycled ones from previous games or silly ones like Raiden. I just want to be able to dress Connor up like a civilian so I can pretend he's really blending in.

MetalCreed
06-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks a lot Loomer!

De Filosoof
06-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks a lot Loomer!

Awesome interview loomer!! Great job!! Some really interesting new information and thanks for asking my question at the end :D.

BATISTABUS
06-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Ugh...I guess stealth is reserved for 100% sync again.

Fine, but it better be super hard!

NOLA_Assassin
06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Keep up the good work bro!! ;)

playassassins1
06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm actually happy that Stealth is optional. AC is all about freedom, whether you want to run in and kill everyone or do it splinter cell style.

And i'm happy they realized that, because ACR forgot everything. The Most missions were also about freedom. But the stealth parts in ACR were awkward for me...

mockers00
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
This interview includes the community questions you might have seen me solicit here a few weeks ago, so thanks for participating. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP32Oxq7QI

I would have asked alot more purposeful questions, but nontheless good job. I would of asked alot more about multiplayer and if their would be a beta. You did good though diffently gave me alot more insight.

Dralight
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I would have asked alot more purposeful questions, but nontheless good job. I would of asked alot more about multiplayer and if their would be a beta. You did good though diffently gave me alot more insight.

He did an interview with the AC3 multiplayer director, Damien Kieken, so he would have asked his multiplayer questions there. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSVklluIzQ

Great interview btw Loomer! Glad to hear the notoriety is going to be more punishing this time around.

DarkDreamer95
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Awesome job, love these videos :D I like the idea about notoriety becoming more punishing. It was always a bit of fun for me to become notorious and kill the witness. Not Den Defence though xD That wasn't fun.

pacmanate
06-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Honestly? A 30 second advert for a video which has less that 1000 views?

dmanik1
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Vacaciones para los más pequeños.

Disfrute de las vacaciones con sus hijos en los parques Mundo Fantasía y el parque Aventura d'Or.

Mundo Fantasía, el gran parque infantil de Marina d'Or, tiene innumerables atracciones que van desde las más modernas hasta las más tradicionales.

Está rodeado por una muralla medieval y decorado por grandes muñecos que crean un ambiente de fantasía a esta zona de ocio pensada para (http://www.apartamentos-marinador.com/) diversión de los más peques. Minikarts, troncos veloces, jumping y camas elásticas, cine 4D, pista hinchable americana, carrusel, barcas sobre agua, coches de choque,camiones telerigidos y mucho más...

pacmanate
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Vacaciones para los más pequeños.

Disfrute de las vacaciones con sus hijos en los parques Mundo Fantasía y el parque Aventura d'Or.

Mundo Fantasía, el gran parque infantil de Marina d'Or, tiene innumerables atracciones que van desde las más modernas hasta las más tradicionales.

Está rodeado por una muralla medieval y decorado por grandes muñecos que crean un ambiente de fantasía a esta zona de ocio pensada para (http://www.apartamentos-marinador.com/) diversión de los más peques. Minikarts, troncos veloces, jumping y camas elásticas, cine 4D, pista hinchable americana, carrusel, barcas sobre agua, coches de choque,camiones telerigidos y mucho más...

What you did to that donkey last night was not justified!

Felix-Vivo
06-21-2012, 01:10 PM
That notoriety thing sounds cool. I did love it, for example, in GTA: Sand Andreas... it's cool to blow **** up and kill people and nick things, but when you had 6 stars... run for your f*cking life, man, 'cause they're sending in TANKS.

Legendz54
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Will Desmond have assassination missions? "Sorry can't answer that" means yes :D

LightRey
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Will Desmond have assassination missions? "Sorry can't answer that" means yes :D
Not to burst your bubble, but didn't they give the exact same answer last year and the year before?

Legendz54
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but didn't they give the exact same answer last year and the year before?

They probably did, but to hear this game has more Desmond than any other AC gets my hopes up. They also said he will be out of the animus and doing things in an interview.

LightRey
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
They probably did, but to hear this game has more Desmond than any other AC gets my hopes up. They also said he will be out of the animus and doing things in an interview.
Well don't get me wrong, I expect him to actually do some assassinating of his own, but this isn't really something that suggests he's going to. :p

albertwesker22
06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Well don't get me wrong, I expect him to actually do some assassinating of his own, but this isn't really something that suggests he's going to. :p

I know and the fact that he refused to comment means nothing, you're right. They can neither confirm or deny anything. **** humans and the raising of their hopes!

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Awesome interview, so much better from the big reviewers who ask questions we already know the answers to, great job loomer!

Felix-Vivo
06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I do wish somebody would ask if there's any relevance at all to the fact that Desmond no longer has his scar...

albertwesker22
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I do wish somebody would ask if there's any relevance at all to the fact that Desmond no longer has his scar...

I think its still there in Revelations, just not as obvious as before.

LightRey
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I think its still there in Revelations, just not as obvious as before.
This is correct. If you look closely it's still there. It's just very thin now.

BATISTABUS
06-21-2012, 08:33 PM
But the stealth parts in ACR were awkward for me...
That just speaks to the development of stealth within the AC series (and particularly Revelations), not the potential of stealth itself. Stealth has always been under-developed, and the way things look, it will be again.

masterfenix2009
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Stealth has always felt good to me. In Revelations, bombs were very helpful for stealthy game play.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-21-2012, 09:32 PM
That just speaks to the development of stealth within the AC series (and particularly Revelations), not the potential of stealth itself. Stealth has always been under-developed, and the way things look, it will be again.
Except that we're FINALLY getting crouching/hiding in bushes and leaning from behind a wall to observe/ambush the targets. Something that all should've been in the series from AC1. If anything, stealth may finally be nice in AC3

SixKeys
06-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Except that we're FINALLY getting crouching/hiding in bushes and leaning from behind a wall to observe/ambush the targets. Something that all should've been in the series from AC1. If anything, stealth may finally be nice in AC3

In one of the earliest demos of AC1 Altaïr could actually crouch and had special animations for climbing over a wall silently (see video at 0:45). I wonder why they changed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efh-TmxXJIw

JCearlyyears
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I didn't think that was a demo when I first saw it. I thought it was a crappy trailer in cg.

Requiscent
06-21-2012, 10:13 PM
I didn't think that was a demo when I first saw it. I thought it was a crappy trailer in cg.
I agree. If you even look at the earlier demo (specifically the X06 demo) you can see just how much the first assassin's creed game changed.

JCearlyyears
06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree. If you even look at the earlier demo (specifically the X06 demo) you can see just how much the first assassin's creed game changed.
Oh god...

BATISTABUS
06-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Hopefully. It sounds good on paper, and I'm hopeful, but it doesn't change the fact that stealth is still taking a backseat for 100% Synch. Hopefully there are more rewards for 100% Synch than pointless aesthetic bonuses.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Hopefully. It sounds good on paper, and I'm hopeful, but it doesn't change the fact that stealth is still taking a backseat for 100% Synch. Hopefully there are more rewards for 100% Synch than pointless aesthetic bonuses.
I hope they either rebuild/change the 100% sync COMPLETLY, or remove it all together. The way it is right now is awful. You feel 'schooled' for now doing some missions the way you want (or not fast enough) even if your solution was equally good, the rewards are nothing more than cheats (except for one actual in-game worthy reward of Old Eagle outfit in ACR), giant "100% synch failed!!!" signs annoy and distract from the story, it's nothing but an artificial lengthening of the game etc etc. Nobody misses 100% sync when going back to AC2. Cramming features into the game for the sake of it ain't good.

JCearlyyears
06-21-2012, 11:47 PM
It does make it more realistic though, but sometimes I wish they'd just say, "Hey, Desmond, the new animus update allows for you to have more freedom in the way you complete the memories by reducing the synchronization required." Although, synch is meaningless as it is. You can progress through the whole game without getting full synch and it's fine. I also don't understand how the synch always requires you not to get hurt. Doesn't he ever get hurt? No? It never says anything about losing 4 health squares to be fully synched and lose it by jumping too far, or in the second fight, but maybe sometimes it should.

SixKeys
06-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Most of it is CG, but some of the stuff is definitely gameplay in its earliest form. The scene where you see him stab a Templar from the front was from the demo when the game was still known as a Prince of Persia spinoff. I think they toyed with certain concepts from the very start like Altaïr crouching when assassinating from behind but couldn't or didn't want to make it work for some reason.

Calvarok
06-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Um, guys? that ac1 trailer WAS CG. That was a visualisation of how they wanted the game to be. The game was NEVER running looking.like that.

SixKeys
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Um, guys? that ac1 trailer WAS CG. That was a visualisation of how they wanted the game to be. The game was NEVER running looking.like that.

Hmm, fair enough. The scene where he stabbed the Templar from the front did look an awful lot like the one from the PoP "Assassins" demo though.

About 100% sync, the devs have confirmed it's still in the game although reworked. I kind of wish that if Alex Hutchinson is able to push the team to add newgame+ that full sync would be moved there. You're free to do your first run of the game however you want, but if you want an extra challenge on your second playthrough, you can go for full sync.

Vex_Assassin
06-22-2012, 12:30 AM
About 100% sync, the devs have confirmed it's still in the game although reworked. I kind of wish that if Alex Hutchinson is able to push the team to add newgame+ that full sync would be moved there. You're free to do your first run of the game however you want, but if you want an extra challenge on your second playthrough, you can go for full sync.

That would actually be awesome.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
About 100% sync, the devs have confirmed it's still in the game
Hype -1 :(

Acrimonious_Nin
06-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Hype -1 :(

:D hey look at the bright side. Now you HAVE to do it the right way ;p

BATISTABUS
06-22-2012, 04:33 AM
I hope they either rebuild/change the 100% sync COMPLETLY, or remove it all together.
I actually really like 100% Synch. It adds SOME challenge to a story one can otherwise breeze through, typically emphasizes stealth, and it makes sense canon-wise. I just hope the challenges are harder, and the rewards are better (in-game equipment, cool costumes, extra levels/cutscenes, etc.).

Also, Hutchinson stated that 100% Synch will be back in some form.

Calvarok
06-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Hmm, fair enough. The scene where he stabbed the Templar from the front did look an awful lot like the one from the PoP "Assassins" demo though.

Yeah, it looked a bit like the final gameplay because taht was teh target for final gameplay. It was supposed to be a representation of gameplay. About full sync, I really don't mind it. It adds replayability.