PDA

View Full Version : Is “Kenway” really legit?

ConorMcA
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
So most of us have heard at this point from many AC3 articles that Connor’s surname is apparently “Kenway.” But has anyone actually heard this surname directly mentioned by Ubisoft?

I originally thought Connor even having a surname was odd, as reportedly his first name is simply an alias used to amalgamate more with the settlers.

But the more interviews/press releases I see directly from Ubisoft, the more suspicious I am that “Kenway” is simply a rumour that has morphed into a reported fact. The only time I see any mention of the name Kenway is in unofficial magazine/ website previews of AC3 and sites like Wikipedia – obviously written by people not from Ubisoft.

I know it could be argued that the surname may have officially been mentioned during that unbroadcast gameplay demo in March, but games journalists have been incorrect about other supposed facts in the past, picking up on each other’s rumours until they end up being published as genuine.

I have yet to find any mention of the surname “Kenway” from an official Ubisoft source, he’s simply referred to as “Connor” in everything I’ve read.

Can anyone?

Jexx21
06-18-2012, 07:12 PM
it's on the official website.

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2012, 07:15 PM
it's on the official website.

That made me laugh harder than it should. :p

Jexx21
06-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Actually, I just checked.. it's not anymore.

But it was on there before, so I dunno :/

kriegerdesgottes
06-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Well it's listed that way on the AC wiki page but that doesn't mean anything. http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Connor_Kenway

ConorMcA
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the AC wiki is fan-maintained, so as you say, it's meaningless. :(

Turul.
06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
The Wiki isn't meaningless.

Ubisoft often refrenced it when makeing the AC Enyclopedia

ConorMcA
06-18-2012, 07:54 PM
I meant the Kenway reference is meaningless, not the wiki itself.

Acrimonious_Nin
06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Talking about kenway...>_> could this an be Desmond's great great....grandfather ?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_A._Miles

SaintPerkele
06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Every single piece of information on the wiki is sourced. Connor's surname was first revealed in an official flyer I think.

ConorMcA
06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but presumably the Wiki's source for Connor's surname was the aforementioned journalism articles that I'm questioning the credibility of. That's great if it was mentioned on an official flyer, I could put this to rest if we could actually see it, but unfortunately, I've yet to see an official mention of Kenway.

SaintPerkele
06-19-2012, 12:07 AM
I just searched in the history section of the Wiki article and found it:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0on2rBSNs1qihb0ko4_1280.jpg
Now don't dare questioning the Wiki's reliability again :P

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 12:17 AM
You can tell this flyer was made for US market lol talk about target marketing

ConorMcA
06-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Ah, great job dude! That puts that to rest.

Just looking at that synopsis, it's interesting how blatant it is about Connor's specific allegiance to the Patriots. I suppose they're trying to appeal to the country the flyers were handed out in, but still... I'm off topic.

Thanks for searching!

SaintPerkele
06-19-2012, 12:23 AM
You can tell this flyer was made for US market lol talk about target marketing
"Ignite the flames of a young nation's war for freedom", "the first American Assassin", "Join the Continental Army in a war for freedom", "hunt down British redcoats" - ooooh yeah! :P

Also, the American Independence War one of the most gruesome wars in history? I mean, seriously? Now I don't even want to begin with recent wars, the two world wars and so on, but even much, much earlier in history, there were much, much more grusome wars (e.g thirty years' war).

Ah well, I don't care. I suppose that if this flyer makes you buy the game, you won't be that pleasantly surprised.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Just looking at that synopsis, it's interesting how blatant it is about Connor's specific allegiance to the Patriots. I suppose they're trying to appeal to the country the flyers were handed out in, but still...The flyer is hilarious. I mean, I get how important target marketing is but the description is so http://i49.tinypic.com/2vjoids.gif and opposite to what the developers have been saying the game is about and what the portrayal of the revolution is in the game that it's just hysterical xD

Wonder what will Ubi come up with on the UK flyers. "Join Connor, the first half-English Assassin in his war against revolting colonies! Hunt down Blue Coats and expose their evil Templar plans!!" xD

Krayus Korianis
06-19-2012, 12:47 AM
I find the people who are whining about the marketing to be extremely amusing.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I find the people who are whining about the marketing to be extremely amusing.Noticing when marketing gets comical in its attempt to cater to a specific market ain't whining :P

Krayus Korianis
06-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Noticing when marketing gets comical in its attempt to cater to a specific market ain't whining :P

Yes it is. So stop whining. Who wins the war? The Colonial Army. Who loses? The British Royal Army.
Who does Connor kill? Templars on both sides, because the Templars aren't idiots who choose one side only. They'll play the odds and make sure that either side has a chance so their plans succeed.

Gespenst1246
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
ummmm. hows it different from killing germens in WWII games?

Evenesque
06-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Don't start. This thread is about Kenway. Don't do this guy the disservice of mutating this thread into an abomination that's already trolling it's way around the forums like Stitches in Duskwood.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Don't start. This thread is about Kenway. Don't do this guy the disservice of mutating this thread into an abomination that's already trolling it's way around the forums like Stitches in Duskwood.
You're right, editing my post away and sending you kisses instead :*

Gespenst1246
06-19-2012, 01:24 AM
well legit or not it would make sense for him to have a surname (wether real or made up) to try and fit in more.but thats just what i think

Calvarok
06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
It was first revealed on a press kit from ubisoft that literally said his full name. Yes he has ratonhake:ton, but that's his native first name. He got his last name from his father ostensibly. (which would disprove the charles lee theory omg gotta post that in the other thread.)

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 02:28 AM
It was first revealed on a press kit from ubisoft that literally said his full name. Yes he has ratonhake:ton, but that's his native first name. He got his last name from his father ostensibly. (which would disprove the charles lee theory omg gotta post that in the other thread.) Actually, the first official Ubisoft press release says that his English name is just adopted: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-40629-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32

Calvarok
06-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Ah. Well I did say ostensibly. "adopted" could easily mean adopted from his father, though. He probably didn't just choose a random name.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Ah. Well I did say ostensibly. "adopted" could easily mean adopted from his father, though. He probably didn't just choose a random name.Yeah "to adopt a name" doesn't exactly make people think "to just use family name"

Calvarok
06-19-2012, 02:52 AM
If natives at that point didn't generally use western names (let alone last names) that might make sense.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Maybe. We'll see. One way or another, prepare yourself for some kind of twist/surprise with Ratonhnhaké:ton since Corey May already said there will be one

Evenesque
06-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Maybe he adopted it after something happened involving dogs?

I think it's not by accident that Connor's been confirmed to be able to pet dogs in the game, and not other animals.

Assassin_M
06-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Maybe. We'll see. One way or another, prepare yourself for some kind of twist/surprise with Ratonhnhaké:ton since Corey May already said there will be one
How do you cope with typing his native name every time you mention him ??

Calvarok
06-19-2012, 03:16 AM
I've tried to do that at every possible opportunity. It's easier to type than say. Ratonhnake:ton Ratonhnake:ton

RatonhnhakeFan
06-19-2012, 03:45 AM
It's, just not hard/problem for me lol? IDK, I just like his real name so I'm using it instead of the made up Connor

Maybe he adopted it after something happened involving dogs?

I think it's not by accident that Connor's been confirmed to be able to pet dogs in the game, and not other animals.It probably also has something to do with the fact that they refuse to talk about Eagle Vision which, you would think, shouldn't be a spoiler at all since we know all about Eagle Vision from Ezio/Altair already -> I'm thinking that maybe he has something different than Eagle Vision

Assassin_M
06-19-2012, 03:47 AM
It's, just not hard/problem for me lol? IDK, I just like his real name so I'm using it instead of the made up Connor
Admirable..