PDA

View Full Version : What's with the British soldiers all wearing Bandanas?

SkyVan999
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
At first I thought it was because they were fighting in cold winter conditions...but then I saw this picture...

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4076/newuploads201205310078c.jpg

...and whoever these guys are, they're not wearing any stupid bandito uniforms....

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5497/newuploads201205318f44f.jpg

So why have the developers chosen to make the British soldiers in-game look like they stepped out of a bad Spagetti Western?

All enemies in AC 1&2 had their faces showing?

If anyone's not going to wear bandanas it's an 18th century military, so why ruin the look of the British by giving them these stupid face coverings?

TheHumanTowel
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
To show they're a member of the Bloods. Really though I don't think it's a big deal. Only a few have bandannas and it's not really noticeable enough to "ruin their look". As for why they're wearing them in summer, it might smell bad in the cities.

SkyVan999
06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Only a few? Every single one of them I've seen has been wearing them, the only two who don't seem to wear them are Assassination targets and those Scottish guys with axes...

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Historically, Those wearing bandannas were Colonists who chose to be loyalists but covered their faces so as to not be discovered, and yes they were only a few..

TheHumanTowel
06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Only a few? Every single one of them I've seen has been wearing them, the only two who don't seem to wear them are Assassination targets and those Scottish guys with axes...
In the Frontier demo there are plenty of regular soldiers without bandannas. Look again.

Edit:
Historically, Those wearing bandannas were Colonists who chose to be loyalists but covered their faces so as to not be discovered, and yes they were only a few..
And there we go, Historical basis. Case closed.

SkyVan999
06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
In the Frontier demo there are plenty of regular soldiers without bandannas. Look again.

Edit:
And there we go, Historical basis. Case closed.

I just looked at the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnzRufewJU

At 3:55 every one of those soldiers has a bandana over their faces, except the Scottish guy at the back.

...and then from 6:17 onwards, every single regular soldier he passes in the chase has a bandana on. I don't know where you're seeing these regular soldiers without them?

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I just looked at the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnzRufewJU

At 3:55 every one of those soldiers has a bandana over their faces, except the Scottish guy at the back.

...and then from 6:17 onwards, every single regular soldier he passes in the chase has a bandana on. I don't know where you're seeing these regular soldiers without them?
Again, look closely, there are more than a few NOT wearing bandannas

SkyVan999
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Again, look closely, there are more than a few NOT wearing bandannas

I looked at every single one, if you can give me the times where there are soldiers not wearing bandanas, other than the Scottish troops and generals, then please write them down.

LightRey
06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
...those are scarves. It's winter. -__-

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I looked at every single one, if you can give me the times where there are soldiers not wearing bandanas, other than the Scottish troops and generals, then please write them down.
4:05: 2 soldiers not wearing any..
4:09: another one on the left
6:22: in front of Connor
6:33 and 6:31

tsc0308
06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
There is actually perhaps a reason for this:

If you hadn't noticed, a lot of 'generic enemies' in video games, particually modern ones, do not have their faces showing (they wear masks, scarfs, or other forms of concealing headgeaar, because seeing the look of pain on someones face as you kill them, or giving them too much humanity, can affect the age rating given.

It's less of a thing now, but its a very possible reason.

rileypoole1234
06-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh, so now we're complaining about bandannas.

Nice.

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
There is actually perhaps a reason for this:

If you hadn't noticed, a lot of 'generic enemies' in video games, particually modern ones, do not have their faces showing (they wear masks, scarfs, or other forms of concealing headgeaar, because seeing the look of pain on someones face as you kill them, or giving them too much humanity, can affect the age rating given.

It's less of a thing now, but its a very possible reason.
Thats not the reason, seeing as there are also guards who have their faces shown..
Its like I said based on a historical occurring..

tsc0308
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Then they're just random models that spawn randomly. If there are a higher proportion of bandanna models, it's just by chance.

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Then they're just random models that spawn randomly. If there are a higher proportion of bandanna models, it's just by chance.
Indeed..

pacmanate
06-18-2012, 03:47 PM
...those are scarves. It's winter. -__-

I see no snow?

Calvarok
06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
You can always tell when people get bored of the new info they've been given, because they start nitpickin' things like this. :P

LightRey
06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
I see no snow?
...did you watch the video?

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
You can always tell when people get bored of the new info they've been given, because they start nitpickin' things like this. :P
Its inevitable, my "Glitchy raindrop" theory will happen xD

HelterSeltzer
06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I think it's because they are gangstaaas... But it could be to hide their identities or to deal with the weather. Simple answers to questions that are asked from boredom. :p

Kaiskune
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
it could be a number of things.
it adds a little variety to who you face there only so many clones of john smith of canterbury you can put up with
while i use the term loosely collaborators often hide their faces in fear of reprisals on them and their families after the hostilities end (we dont know whether these troops are colonial loyalists or troops from the homeland)
saves time for developers if they have less faces to animate/ diversify, easier to create long numbers of enemies
psychological reasoning, fighting faceless enemies makes them more sinister apparently

and my own personal theory... is that bandanas are the current 'In' craze of the ubisoft developing teams...

BBALive
06-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Straight outta Compton.

ProletariatPleb
06-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe it's the fictional story they're creating of Colonists and British soldiers becoming Bloods & Cripz :O

And not all are wearing it >_>

kudos17
06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Dehumanization is often shown through the covering of the face. A face is human - cover it, and you're not fighting human people anymore, but generic enemies. It's why all the Stormtroopers in Star Wars wore helmets, it's why it's easier to shoot a masked bandit than an unmasked one. You're killing a dangerous thing, not a person.

Now, I really don't think Ubisoft is trying to play with our minds by making it easier on us to kill British. But it's a fun fact :p

In reality, many of the soldiers wore the scarves because it's winter, and it's cold. They wore them in the summer towns for any number of reasons - it probably smells pretty bad, they may want to cover their faces, the character models just spawn that way - who knows?

Calvarok
06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Dehumanization is often shown through the covering of the face. A face is human - cover it, and you're not fighting human people anymore, but generic enemies. It's why all the Stormtroopers in Star Wars wore helmets, it's why it's easier to shoot a masked bandit than an unmasked one. You're killing a dangerous thing, not a person.

Now, I really don't think Ubisoft is trying to play with our minds by making it easier on us to kill British. But it's a fun fact :p

In reality, many of the soldiers wore the scarves because it's winter, and it's cold. They wore them in the summer towns for any number of reasons - it probably smells pretty bad, they may want to cover their faces, the character models just spawn that way - who knows?

I remember in revelation's cinematic trailer the guards have face coverings, and in the game they do not.

As said before, I don't think it's for dehumanization, since they have plenty of unmasked guards. I really think it's about making the amount of faces seem more varied, and calling back to the fact that loyalists who didn't want to be found out covered their faces.