PDA

View Full Version : Will Day and Night actually be different?

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed or discussed yet, but I'm wondering if there will be significant differences between day and night in AC3. It was great to see a time concept implemented into AC2, but the only difference between the two was that instead of the sun lighting you up, the moon made you clear as day (only it's night--err, you get it). I would personally love to nighttime be made better use of, especially for means of stealth/cover. Some possible examples I can think of:

- When clouds block the view of the moon, make it significantly darker, providing more cover for Connor to move past guards or soldiers patrolling areas. Once the cloud moves past however, the moonlight would beam down on you and that cover would be lost.

- If bombs are returning, add bombs that act as flash bombs. At nighttime, the light emitted from these bombs would temporarily blind guards, as it would take time for their eyes to adjust to the darkness again. And to make it more interesting, guards could act unpredictably such as firing their guns off in random directions or swinging around their bayonets.

- In the frontier, thicker areas of forest would make it more difficult for pursuers to see Connor as he's fleeing from them.

- Make use of the shadows of objects and surroundings to make it more difficult for guards to spot Connor.

These are just a few ideas I'd personally love to see (although I don't expect to see all or any of them). If there's any information about this it would be greatly appreciated.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I like your ideas(Shadows inspired from SC ofcourse), I remember some of those animus hints, one saying "Guards change shifts at Day & Night, plan your mission accordingly" But I never noticed it happening.

The only bomb confirmed so far is the Smoke Bomb.

Assassin_M
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Please.... people are already calling the game too easy..
With your suggestions they`re gonna boycott the game.
The only differences I want between night and day are lighting, the number of people in the street and camping.

MT4K
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Like sid i also remember the guard shift message and never noticing it once lol. Might have been a left over piece from something they removed.

They seem like they have gone to the trouble of making sure there is gameplay difference between summer and winter beyond it just being snow covered which is really cool. I'd like to think that since they put the effort into making the seasons have an effect that i'd hope they made the weather (rain and fog) as well as day/night cycle have some gameplay effects as well. Even if it is just some really minor effects.

Would be nice to get proper confirmation though. Maybe somebody can ask gabe or something on twitter (i don't use it myself or i would).

Sushiglutton
06-15-2012, 02:37 PM
I like the idea of differences between night and day. I think there should be some benefits of day too though. Like for example in the day there should be a lot more surrounding noises so you can use slightly louder tactics. And perhaps some doors are open in the day that are shut in the evening. Or targets do activities in the day that exposes them, but stay indoors at night time. And then we have the advantages u mention at night time. That way you would have a choice what time of day would be the best for the specific missions.

crash3
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Not necessarily bothered about day to day weather, but I hope the seasons are handled well, hopefully we will see a gradual change and not an abrupt change in the seasons as we go from mission to mission

Sushiglutton
06-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Not necessarily bothered about day to day weather, but I hope the seasons are handled well, hopefully we will see a gradual change and not an abrupt change in the seasons as we go from mission to mission

I think I remember Hutchinson saying the opposite. That they will have summer and winter but not really something in between. I think it was because the snow/ice etc were too difficult in some sort of middling stat (also remember snow has a gameplay impact). I think what u're saying would be ideal, but I suppose u can't have everything.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Hutchinson said that it's not gonna keep changing, because they didn't want 6season changes and then get told in the story that only one year has passed.

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
The only differences I want between night and day are lighting, the number of people in the street and camping.

this !, it would also provide some interesting stealth mechanics(read the OP). Some people want stealth, so give them stealth !

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Hutchinson said that it's not gonna keep changing, because they didn't want 6season changes and then get told in the story that only one year has passed.

he meant day and night cycles not seasons

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
he meant day and night cycles not seasons
Nope, he said seasons, I'm pretty sure about it, video interview.

notafanboy
06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Nope, he said seasons, I'm pretty sure about it, video interview.
i meant what the OP said -.-

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
i meant what the OP said -.-
Oh, haha, I was replying to this guy:

I think I remember Hutchinson saying the opposite. That they will have summer and winter but not really something in between. I think it was because the snow/ice etc were too difficult in some sort of middling stat (also remember snow has a gameplay impact). I think what u're saying would be ideal, but I suppose u can't have everything.

playassassins1
06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Weather will have effect on how you handle stealth.

For example: When its foggy, enemies won't spot you that fast.

Thats the only thing I know regarding weather.

SixKeys
06-15-2012, 05:08 PM
The only thing I would like the day/night cycle to affect is the NPC behavior. There should be less civilians around on the streets at night and more guards. The NPCs that are out at night should have a reason, like thieves, drunkards, hobos and maybe some people with lamps doing some late night cart-repairing or packing their things at the market.

superninja2013
06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I would definitely like to see some of the mechanics of the game change (A LITTLE) if it's night or day.

dxsxhxcx
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
The only thing I would like the day/night cycle to affect is the NPC behavior. There should be less civilians around on the streets at night and more guards. The NPCs that are out at night should have a reason, like thieves, drunkards, hobos and maybe some people with lamps doing some late night cart-repairing or packing their things at the market.

I agree, IMO the number of guards should also increase and they should be more suspicious at night...

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Please.... people are already calling the game too easy..
With your suggestions they`re gonna boycott the game.

Yeah that's a good point, nighttime definitely shouldn't mean god mode invisibility :p. While I'd like to see benefits to night, there should definitely be disadvantages to balance it out such as more guards on patrol, said guards on higher alert, and perhaps more lighting from encampments and forts.

I agree, IMO the number of guards should also increase and they should be more suspicious at night...

Speak of the devil actually :0. I just want night act more like it's time of day, even if there are more challenges to it :p.

As for the weather comments, I personally hope it's winter most of the time :D.

SixKeys
06-16-2012, 01:10 AM
It's probably too late to implement something like this into the game, but it'd be cool if there was a curfew in certain places. Maybe even tied to your actions. Say you kill some high-ranking dude. The city gets restless now that there's a killer on the loose, so the guards implement a curfew. Anyone who's out at night after sundown will be regarded as suspicious (unless they have a permit), meaning the guards' detection meter fills up much faster. Thoughts?

RzaRecta357
06-16-2012, 01:47 AM
dem amnmels like owls and whatcha know bout be onla outside in night, no?

MT4K
06-16-2012, 01:55 AM
dem amnmels like owls and whatcha know bout be onla outside in night, no?

Well it seems only logical that if you are going to insert animals into the series. it would be better to do them properly and actually not have anything doing something it shouldn't be.

Although regarding owls.... They do sometimes come out during the day so either would work for them.

tarrero
06-16-2012, 03:02 AM
blizzard + night + frontier = AWESOME!!!!!!

imonthenet
06-16-2012, 03:03 AM
Another weather effect I remember hearing about was that guns don't work if it's been raining.

Also there should be less civilians during the night, it only makes sense.
If there are less civilians then there should be the benefit of shadow blending, to replace them.

tarrero
06-16-2012, 03:10 AM
I have always had a complain with AC franchise.....How come is that stores are open at 3 am in the morning???? That SHOULD be fixed.

SixKeys
06-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Another weather effect I remember hearing about was that guns don't work if it's been raining.

Would that only count for guards or also for Connor?

I have always had a complain with AC franchise.....How come is that stores are open at 3 am in the morning???? That SHOULD be fixed.

Agreed. It would force you to think about buying supplies in advance and being careful not to waste the ones you're currently carrying. Assuming the economy has been fixed in this game, you shouldn't be rolling in dough all the time so you couldn't just refill your ammo every five minutes.

Evenesque
06-16-2012, 04:24 AM
The only problem I have with the implementation of shadows is Connor's outfit. If the option to keep it white, or something really non-earth toned stays, it would ruin the concept of being in the shadows as a space of hiding, because the game would basically be saying it's ok to wear all white and no one can see you in the shadow of a boulder.