PDA

View Full Version : New Computer for IL2 and the possibilities!

fknox
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey all,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new gaming system for IL2 Standard, Cliffs of Dover, wings of Prey, FSX, etc. I'm talking I 7 Processor, Dual Multi GB Cards in SLI or Crossfire mode, 12GB Ram or as much as the machine will take. I'm wondering what's the most IL2 4.11 will be able to produce. I currently run IL2 on three screens with a TH2go at 3072 X 768. With Dual state of the art Cards I can probably output to six screens without the TH2go. I'm pretty sure Wings of Prey and FSX will support six screens. Does anyone know if Clifffs of Dover or IL2 will support 6 screens?

Tully__
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Cliffs of Dover I'm not sure on, however IL2 only has native support for 4:3 resolutions. If you run your six screens as an extended desktop and using the conf.ini tweaks discussed in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/504311-How-to-get-IL246-running-in-widescreen you can IL2 to use all the real estate, but if your six screens don't combine to a 4:3 resolution you'll be cropping part of the picture to get it to fit.

fknox
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Tully,
3072 X 768 is certainly not 4:3 but it all works fine with Sans FOV. I'm wondering if I had 6 monitors, 3 over 3, would the IL2 engine put out 3072 X 1536? This size would be much closer to 4:3 than what I'm using now.

Tully__
06-16-2012, 06:07 AM
AFAIK it will put it out at that resolution, however I can't vouch for performance. That would double the load on the graphics engine which would likely give you somewhere less than half the current minimum frame rate under high load. What it does to maximum / average frame rate will depend on whether you're currently running with v-sync on or off.

fknox
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
In looking at the Gaming PCs available, there seems to be allot more PCs available with dual AMD Radeon cards than there are with Dual Nvidia GTX cards. Is the Nvidia/ Radeon choice still an issue with IL2? I always remember that Nvidia was preferred. I certaily had issues with the low end Radeon card I'm forced to use now. Upgrading the drivers was never possible. Is it an issue in Cliffs of Dover as well? I'm going to be pushing the limits on IL2 1946 once I get this rig so I would like to avoid problems from the start if I can. I'm looking for dual GTX 580s or better but that's not common from the normal retailers. Any input is appreciated. F.

fknox
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm buying this computer very soon. Is Nvidia still prefered over Radeon? Has ATI figured out their drivers any better than before?