PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 dev promises: 'We've got nothing against the British'

Pages : [1] 2 3

AlexEzio89
06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
"We've got nothing against the Brits," promised Assassin's Creed III scriptwriter Corey May in a CVG interview.

During all of Ubisoft's AC3 demos and trailers - both before and at E3 - AC3 hero Connor has almost exclusively killed Redcoat soldiers, leading many to accuse Ubisoft Montreal of anti-British or pro-American sentiments.

But according to May, the AC3 story is "not meant to be loyalists versus patriots" and angry English fans should all calm down.

He explained: "It's assassins versus Templars. There's a revolution going on and Connor will experience all facets of it. It's not as simple as Templars backing the crown and assassins backing the patriots, it's really two factions at war against the backdrop of another war. I have nothing against the Brits."

Despite May's assertions, all the footage and marketing materials so far have pointed towards a decidedly pro-Patriot game. The two military assassinations we've seen have been against Templar targets, but they've both been Redcoat aligned. Check out our E3 Assassin's Creed 3 preview to see what you think.

May continues to tell a story that explains the historical context behind the game: "It occurs against the backdrop of the Revolutionary war. And to be even more evasive, everyone back then was a Brit, this was not Americans against British - this was a British civil war.

There's a great story that they tell of Ben Franklin and his son William and they wind up on separate sides. His son became a loyalist.

"When the war was over or as the war was wrapping up, his son tried to make amends, but Franklin didn't want anything to do with him and they became estranged. I think it hurt his son and his son felt terrible."

He continued: "When Franklin died, in his will he said 'you get nothing. Had you won you would've taken away everything of mine, so either way you would have had nothing, so you get nothing'. I think his son was devastated and it's just not as simple, even if sometimes it is portrayed that way."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/350667/assassins-creed-3-dev-promises-weve-got-nothing-against-the-british/

and now shut up British and buy and play the game

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
The only British people who are complaining are F'ing idiots.
I would much rather be on the colonial side.

AlexEzio89
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
the only british people who are complaining are f'ing idiots.

corect

MT4K
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Not that i ever had a problem with it myself, but you do have to find it funny how at E3 they got asked the question and then said "you will kill people on both sides. check this trailer out" and the trailer just shows the same thing as before. killing only redcoats lol. I found it amusing myself, but i personally wasn't angry or anything. it's just a game.

Despite the fact that both sides were really British back then just one side in red the other in blue. It still seems like the only way they will shut people up properly is to just show Connor killing a blue coat instead of a red coat. despite the fact that it would still be killing British people technically lol.

It was interesting though to hear about Franklin and his son in that :D

obliviondoll
06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
So... what you're saying is... that we're playing a famous Halo machinima?

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Well, you could say that about most wars really.

obliviondoll
06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, you could say that about most wars really.

Most of them involve different colours instead of just red and blue, though...

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Most of them involve different colours instead of just red and blue, though...

Well, for colourblind people it's all exactly the same then.

MT4K
06-12-2012, 12:32 PM

hahaha. never really thought about that :D. Hope donut makes an appearance then :D.

EscoBlades
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Not that i ever had a problem with it myself, but you do have to find it funny how at E3 they got asked the question and then said "you will kill people on both sides. check this trailer out" and the trailer just shows the same thing as before. killing only redcoats lol. I found it amusing myself, but i personally wasn't angry or anything. it's just a game.

The trailer actually had sped up segments where Connor was killing some bluecoats. No one really noticed them at first because they were in a sped up sequence.

MT4K
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
The trailer actually had sped up segments where Connor was killing some bluecoats. No one really noticed them at first because they were in a sped up sequence.

i thought it got discovered that they was just like a high ranking loyalist rather than a blue coat? or something like that. Cannot remember though and i think the thread starter removed the screenshots.

Azurefeatherfly
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM

I made that thread and I was proven wrong. My apologies for the mistake.

Captain Tomatoz
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Corey May has been amazing with his story writing in AC1, AC2 and ACB so why people would doubt him now is beyond me. AC3 is going to be awesome, whoever the enemy is (templars) :D

freddie_1897
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
seeing as how the colonials were pretty much all british anyway the way i see it is that I'm british colonial, as opposed to british redcoat

EscoBlades
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I made that thread and I was proven wrong. My apologies for the mistake.

Ahhh, i never actually followed it up. Thanks for the heads up.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyone who complains about killing redcoats can now be officially and without any penalty be called an Idiotic Ignoramus..

MT4K
06-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Anyone who complains about killing redcoats can now be officially and without any penalty be called an Idiotic Ignoramus..

Maybe they can have their forum title changed from "member" or whatever to "whiner" as well :P.

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Why are they asking Corey May? He's the writer lol. The people you should be talking to about this are the people who manage press releases for the game. It's their decision what's shown to us, not Corey's. If the guy who wrote the game says it's not about killing brits, it's about kill templars on both sides, then you should raise your eyebrow at the trailer directors and the guy's who planned the demos we've seen.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Why are they asking Corey May? He's the writer lol. The people you should be talking to about this are the people who manage press releases for the game. It's their decision what's shown to us, not Corey's. If the guy who wrote the game says it's not about killing brits, it's about kill templars on both sides, then you should raise your eyebrow at the trailer directors and the guy's who planned the demos we've seen.
Oh God..
You want to see a Demo during the near-end of the game ? after the Revolution ? where he may kill a blue coat ? FOR GOD`s SAKE !!

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh God..
You want to see a Demo during the near-end of the game ? after the Revolution ? where he may kill a blue coat ? FOR GOD`s SAKE !!

What the hell are you talking about.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
What the hell are you talking about.
You said "If the guy who wrote the game says it's not about killing brits, it's about kill templars on both sides, then you should raise your eyebrow at the trailer directors and the guy's who planned the demos we've seen."
and I asked this "You want to see a Demo during the near-end of the game ? after the Revolution ? where he may kill a blue coat ? "
What`s there not to understand ?

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:52 PM
You said "If the guy who wrote the game says it's not about killing brits, it's about kill templars on both sides, then you should raise your eyebrow at the trailer directors and the guy's who planned the demos we've seen."
and I asked this "You want to see a Demo during the near-end of the game ? after the Revolution ? where he may kill a blue coat ? "
What`s there not to understand ?

The fact that your response makes no sense......

freddie_1897
06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
or perhaps it is you who does not understand him?

i understood it fine

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 04:55 PM
No, it does..

MT4K
06-12-2012, 04:55 PM
That's assuming the only blue coats you will kill are proper targets and not normal soldiers. i'd like to think it's possible to get into trouble with the soldiers in a camp of blue coats if i do "illegal" activities. the same as in a camp of the red coats.

Kind of how in revelations both ottomans and byzantines would attack you if they both saw you doing illegal stuff. At least i'm assuming that;'s how it will work myself anyway :P

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
That's assuming the only blue coats you will kill are proper targets and not normal soldiers. i'd like to think it's possible to get into trouble with the soldiers in a camp of blue coats if i do "illegal" activities. the same as in a camp of the red coats.

Kind of how in revelations both ottomans and byzantines would attack you if they both saw you doing illegal stuff. At least i'm assuming that;'s how it will work myself anyway :P
IT IS how it`ll work..
WHen did AC ever block you to killing ANY type of guard ? We killed Ottomans, Byzantines, Saracens, Italians.. HELL WE FOUGHT THE POPE !!

freddie_1897
06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
it is how it`ll work..
When did ac ever block you to killing any type of guard ? We killed ottomans, byzantines, saracens, italians.. Hell we fought the pope !!
**** da police!

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
No, it does..

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you honestly believe the majority of the game is killing British, and the only hope we have to see Connor kill an american is so far fetched that it would have to be at the end of the game? That's the only translation I got from your bumbling drivel of a response. And it that's true, then you're amazingly dense. Skepticism is one thing, but that is just blatant, voluntary ignorance.

rileypoole1234
06-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Just this.

freddie_1897
06-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Are you seriously trying to tell me that you honestly believe the majority of the game is killing British, and the only hope we have to see Connor kill an american is so far fetched that it would have to be at the end of the game? That's the only translation I got from your bumbling drivel of a response. And it that's true, then you're amazingly dense. Skepticism is one thing, but that is just blatant, voluntary ignorance.
so you do understand his post?

yay

MT4K
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
IT IS how it`ll work..
WHen did AC ever block you to killing ANY type of guard ? We killed Ottomans, Byzantines, Saracens, Italians.. HELL WE FOUGHT THE POPE !!

That's the reason why i';m expecting it to work this way again. I honestly don't know why people are somehow getting the idea that you won;t be able to attack any blue coats or something.

Just because they might not attack you on sight. doesn't mean they are your ally. "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" in other words. work together only when it's convenient. otherwise i consider all bets off :P

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM
"Bumbling drivel of a response" "amazingly dense" "skeptic" "blatant, voluntary ignorant"
4 perfectly good reasons to call you just one thing "disrespectful"
and no thats not what I mean..
I mean it is what I want to get across, but not in the context that you describe..

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
so you do understand his post?

yay

I was hoping it wasn't his response, because I didn't want to believe someone could be that incredibly small-minded. That's taking a leap if I've ever seen one. Like i've ALREADY said before, the writer knows the story, because he's the WRITER. If he told us that he wrote the game for Connor to kill both sides, then he kills both sides. Can almost gaurantee Corey isn't in charge of trailer development and demo development, so the people you should be questioning are the people in charge of what we've seen so far, because apparently they're misrepresenting what Corey's got on paper.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I was hoping it wasn't his response, because I didn't want to believe someone could be that incredibly small-minded. That's taking a leap if I've ever seen one. Like i've ALREADY said before, the writer knows the story, because he's the WRITER. If he told us that he wrote the game for Connor to kill both sides, then he kills both sides. Can almost gaurantee Corey isn't in charge of trailer development and demo development, so the people you should be questioning are the people in charge of what we've seen so far, because apparently they're misrepresenting what Corey's got on paper.
"small-minded" another reason to lessen you in my eyes..

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
"small-minded" another reason to lessen you in my eyes..

Good for you mate. Over here, doesn't really mean much. If you can't take hypothetical criticism, you've no place being on the internet. You chose not to explain yourself when I told you I didn't understand the post. That forced me to make my own translation in order glean anything out of the nonsense I saw in the original response. If you can't deal with it and get a response out there to clarify something someone didn't understand, get back on topic and try again somewhere else and accept the consequences.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Good for you mate. Over here, doesn't really mean much. If you can't take hypothetical criticism, you've no place being on the internet. You chose not to explain yourself when I told you I didn't understand the post. That forced me to make my own translation in order glean anything out of the nonsense I saw in the original response. If you can't deal with it and get a response out there to clarify something someone didn't understand, get back on topic and try again somewhere else and accept the consequences.
Criticism ?
When was you being a total ****** my problem ??
Everyone understood my post just fine except........ you hmm..
Ouch !!

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh God..

This Is assuming we'll only kill blue coats after the Revolution. We've never been stopped from killing different factions or w/e.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
This Is assuming we'll only kill blue coats after the Revolution. We've never been stopped from killing different factions or w/e.
Come ON guys..
I was referring to a Target NOT a normal guard..
evident by my post saying that AC games never blocked us from killing a certain type of guard..

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Come ON guys..
I was referring to a Target NOT a normal guard..
evident by my post saying that AC games never blocked us from killing a certain type of guard..

I think there's every possibility we'll be killing a blue coat Target, at any point during the story. Why don't you think we will be?

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
I think there's every possibility we'll be killing a blue coat Target, at any point during the story. Why don't you think we will be?
I follow 2 possibilities the likely one and the unlikely one..
In my opinion, judging by what we`v seen and been told, I believe that its very unlikely that we`ll have a Blue coat as a target before the conclusion of the Revolution..
Thats just my Opinion..

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I follow 2 possibilities the likely one and the unlikely one..
In my opinion, judging by what we`v seen and been told, I believe that its very unlikely that we`ll have a Blue coat as a target before the conclusion of the Revolution..
Thats just my Opinion..

So do you think that, because we haven't seen a blue coat get killed In any trailers/gameplay, that we won't be killing a blue coat Target until after the Revolution?

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
So do you think that, because we haven't seen a blue coat get killed In any trailers/gameplay, that we won't be killing a blue coat Target until after the Revolution?
Did I mention any trailers and gameplays ?

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Did I mention any trailers and gameplays ?

Well you did mention "what we've seen". I'm assuming you meant trailers and gameplay? Unless you've seen something no one else knows about?

Mr_Shade
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
nice article..

Even though this topic has been covered before, and other facts pointed too - maybe now people will calm down a little...

Lets try and remain civil though, I know it's a heated subject, but lets just cool those jets a little guys ;)

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 06:25 PM
nice article..

Even though this topic has been covered before, and other facts pointed too - maybe now people will calm down a little...

Lets try and remain civil though, I know it's a heated subject, but lets just cool those jets a little guys ;)

ikr. Some people are just so touchy.

Mr_Shade
06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
End of the day - Connor is a Equal Opportunity Assassin..

He will kill anyone - if they deserve it ;)

freddie_1897
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
End of the day - Connor is a Equal Opportunity Assassin..

He will kill anyone - if they deserve it ;)
and if they don't, what if something like this happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_AFraxj-4

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
The mass murdering Assassin has morals OK ;)

Mr_Shade
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
and if they don't, what if something like this happened?

Never would, since he's an assassin - not comic relief ;)

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 06:56 PM

It'd make for some awkward conversations with Washington.

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 06:59 PM
It'd make for some awkward conversations with Washington.

If there's a colonial traitor or Templar, I'm sure good ol' Washington won't mind us taking care of them.

BBALive
06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
They've never actually said you'll be killing 'Americans' as well as Brits. Every time they are asked about it, they kind of dodge the question. It's either "it's Assassin's vs. Templars, not Patriots vs. Loyalists!" or "Templars are everywhere". Perhaps they don't want any bad rep, or they don't want to spoil the plot.

Either way, I don't really care if the British are portayed as the antagonists. Although, I have the feeling there'll be some sort of plot twist involving the 'Americans'.

I wonder if you get desynchronised for killing Bluecoats.

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I wonder if you get desynchronised for killing Bluecoats.

I read In a Kotaku article, that when you kill Bluecoats, George Washington send you to bed, WITHOUT ANY SUPPER. :eek:

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I read In a Kotaku article, that when you kill Bluecoats, George Washington send you to bed, WITHOUT ANY SUPPER. :eek:

That was funny :D

Helforsite
06-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I read In a Kotaku article, that when you kill Bluecoats, George Washington send you to bed, WITHOUT ANY SUPPER.
And will he also dont give me those candies he said he has in the back of his car????

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
And will he also dont give me those candies he said he has in the back of his car????

Only If you don't tell daddy where he touched you.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Well you did mention "what we've seen". I'm assuming you meant trailers and gameplay? Unless you've seen something no one else knows about?
No, I wasn't referring to the game-plays/trailers, more so about the Interviews. I remember one where a Dev was asked (I believe it was the Mission director) about the redcoats and his answer was "well, our game takes place before, during and after the American Revolution" or something to that extent, I do not remember the full Interview, but him tying those 2 subjects together caught my eye..
and as for knowing stuff you don't know...... Maybe.

Sushiglutton
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I am so suprised how much debate/press this topic has got. Ubi have explained it sooooooo many times. Also suppose we only were to kill the redcoats. I honestly couldn't care less.

Assassin_M
06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I am so suprised how much debate/press this topic has got. Ubi have explained it sooooooo many times. Also suppose we only were to kill the redcoats. I honestly couldn't care less.
Because you, my friend have a brain and actually use it..
Those who complain about this subject have no brain, and if they actually had, do not use it..
Also they`re a bunch of twats..

xChupa
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
What I don't understand is, if Connor is allowed to kill Bluecoats then why not just show him killing some? Or even just a screenshot of him hunting some?

If the only Bluecoat targets are at the end of the game, then that's fine, don't show Connor killing a high profile Bluecoat. However, that doesn't mean you can't show him killing a standard Bluecoat guard...

Ubisoft insists that they have nothing against Redcoats and that Connor kills both sides, but if that's the case why do they only show Connor hunting Redcoats?

P.S. I really don't care who Connor kills. I just want them to show him killing a Bluecoat so that all this controversy will end.

UrDeviant1
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
What I don't understand is, if Connor is allowed to kill Bluecoats then why not just show him killing some? Or even just a screenshot of him hunting some?

If the only Bluecoat targets are at the end of the game, then that's fine, don't show Connor killing a high profile Bluecoat. However, that doesn't mean you can't show him killing a standard Bluecoat guard...

Ubisoft insists that they have nothing against Redcoats and that Connor kills both sides, but if that's the case why do they only show Connor hunting Redcoats?

Who knows? Maybe the Bluecoats only become a "guard type" after the Revolution, and all time before that they are friendlies, so unable to be killed by us.

P.S. I really don't care who Connor kills. I just want them to show him killing a Bluecoat so that all this controversy will end.

Who knows? Maybe the Bluecoats only become a "guard type" after the Revolution, and all time before that they are friendlies, so unable to be killed by us. That still doesn't explain why any trailers haven't show Connor killing one, but I don't really care tbh. I don't question who he fights for.

Locopells
06-12-2012, 09:43 PM
For crying out loud! I've leave here for a couple of day, having an actual life to lead, and when I come back - HERE WE NAFFING WELL ARE AGAIN!!!

Can we not just leave this one alone?

Going to find my shotgun...

brick177
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
There weren't a lot of "bluecoats" anyway. Most of the colonial fighters were militia that were gathered for battle and then went back to their homes or farms afterwards. The "redcoats" weren't an invading army, (though many more arrived as things heated up) but they were the police force, they were everywhere. We also can't forget that the Colonies, historically, win, and they won against some VERY long odds. Who's to say there wasn't an assassin helping things along? We already know Connor's motives are different but aligned with the same objective as the colonies. Isn't that enough?

There are people upset that he needlessly killed a pack of wolves too. Well, they were attacking him and his objective was to bring deer meat to the camp. Reason enough for me to kill some fake wolves.

MT4K
06-13-2012, 12:00 AM
There are people upset that he needlessly killed a pack of wolves too. Well, they were attacking him and his objective was to bring deer meat to the camp. Reason enough for me to kill some fake wolves.

Really? I wouldn't say needlessly. because let's face it. if it was real life. the wolves wouldn't just let you walk away in that situation and so you would likely have to defend yourself just like Connor did. So if people are bothered by it and using the term "needlessly" then they are over-reacting big time. If anything it's realistic.

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Missing my point. Who cares what/who you're killing, once you have an objective and something is in your way, you aren't going to care anymore. Nobody ever held a funeral for dead polygons.

One of my favorite games is GTA4 where you play as an illegal Russian immigrant killing scores of American police and citizens. Just a game. And I like my police force and my fellow citizens and don't really like illegal immigration. Russians are cool though.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Missing my point. Who cares what/who you're killing, once you have an objective and something is in your way, you aren't going to care anymore. Nobody ever held a funeral for dead polygons.

One of my favorite games is GTA4 where you play as an illegal Russian immigrant killing scores of American police and citizens. Just a game. And I like my police force and my fellow citizens and don't really like illegal immigration. Russians are cool though.
Niko Bellic is not Russian, though..:rolleyes:

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Niko Bellic is not Russian, though..:rolleyes:

*face palm* Serbian... I will own that. Eastern Europeans are all very similar to this American. Apologies.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:22 AM
*face palm* Serbian... I will own that. Eastern Europeans are all very similar to this American. Apologies.
I was screwing wit ya :p
People hate it when we`re talking about Niko and his nationality comes up..
"ok eastern European WHAT THE HELL EVAA"

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I was screwing wit ya :p
People hate it when we`re talking about Niko and his nationality comes up..
"ok eastern European WHAT THE HELL EVAA"

Haha. I have a very good friend from Lithuania who would kick my *** for that (she has a thing against Russia, believe it or not), but I appreciate you keeping me honest. Even Americans are quite different depending on the region, but from the outside I'm sure we all kind of seem the same.

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I know that the OP has probably been discussed to death by now, but you do realize that even if the Templars were only on the side of the redcoats, that still doesn't mean that Ubi has anything against the redcoats. Having a templar be on a side implies that that side was taken advantage of by the templars, it doesn't mean that they share their ideology, and even if they did, Templars aren't evil. As it stands, it makes the most sense that the Templars would infiltrate mainly the British side, seeing as they are drawn to the most powerful empires of the time, of which Britain was one, and the Colonies were simply the colonies. The immediate influence they could get with the British is obviously more worth pursuing with as many men as possible.

None of the videos released so far have made me feel like Connor is on either side. He is very obviously working outside of the goals and interests of either side, and it feels as though he is someone whom both sides will need to be very careful with in their dealings. The very first part of the game is supposed to show the Colonists as the ones who raid Connor's village and mess up his life. The first part of the game takes place before the war even begins. This means the only people in the colonies will be colonists, so who do you think we'll kill? They've been showing redcoats as antagonists because during the actual war, which is what they want to advertize because it's the focal point, they're the logical antagonist. big empire come to subjugate people who want to do their own thing? Yeah, we should definitely start picking off the members of the rag-tag army that doesn't even get a proper uniform until way late in the war. That makes sense.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Haha. I have a very good friend from Lithuania who would kick my *** for that (she has a thing against Russia, believe it or not), but I appreciate you keeping me honest. Even Americans are quite different depending on the region,but from the outside I'm sure we all kind of seem the same.
Powerfully agree;)

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I know that the OP has probably been discussed to death by now, but you do realize that even if the Templars were only on the side of the redcoats, that still doesn't mean that Ubi has anything against the redcoats. Having a templar be on a side implies that that side was taken advantage of by the templars, it doesn't mean that they share their ideology, and even if they did, Templars aren't evil. As it stands, it makes the most sense that the Templars would infiltrate mainly the British side, seeing as they are drawn to the most powerful empires of the time, of which Britain was one, and the Colonies were simply the colonies. The immediate influence they could get with the British is obviously more worth pursuing with as many men as possible.

None of the videos released so far have made me feel like Connor is on either side. He is very obviously working outside of the goals and interests of either side, and it feels as though he is someone whom both sides will need to be very careful with in their dealings. The very first part of the game is supposed to show the Colonists as the ones who raid Connor's village and mess up his life. The first part of the game takes place before the war even begins. This means the only people in the colonies will be colonists, so who do you think we'll kill? They've been showing redcoats as antagonists because during the actual war, which is what they want to advertize because it's the focal point, they're the logical antagonist. big empire come to subjugate people who want to do their own thing? Yeah, we should definitely start picking off the members of the rag-tag army that doesn't even get a proper uniform until way late in the war. That makes sense.
Where the HELL have you been ? Seriously ? I`v been busting my A double S trying to get the people to understand, but you....
DON'T LEAVE AGAIN !!

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Powerfully agree;)

It is not lost on me, my friend. We (America) are the British Empire of the modern world. Knowing UbiSoft, the irony will be overwhelming in AC3.

"Mighty world power taking economic advantage of the little guy and pushing around its military superiority..." The irony is palpable!

MaKaVeLiTL
06-13-2012, 12:34 AM

Agreed, I'm British and couldn't give a toss. It's a game for christs sake.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:35 AM
It is not lost on me, my friend. We are the British Empire of the modern world. Knowing UbiSoft, the irony will be overwhelming in AC3.

"Mighty world power taking economic advantage of the little guy and pushing around its military superiority..." The irony is palpable!
makes for a more compelling and interesting story...
But meh this is Assassins Creed What else is new ?

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Sorry, yeah, I said that I knew you guys had probably already discussed what I had to say.

We're so blessed to be fans of a series where we can take the fact that the story will be compelling and interesting for granted!

brick177
06-13-2012, 12:55 AM
makes for a more compelling and interesting story...
But meh this is Assassins Creed What else is new ?

Agreed! Ubi will make defeating the British seem like a hollow victory.

Sorry, yeah, I said that I knew you guys had probably already discussed what I had to say.

We're so blessed to be fans of a series where we can take the fact that the story will be compelling and interesting for granted!

Blessed is a bit strong, maybe "money well spent" ? I kid, I'm glad we can 'discuss' mundane things like geo-politics instead of whether or not the game will be awesome.... because it will be awesome!

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 02:12 AM
we're "money well spent" doesn't have the same ring to it. :P

De Filosoof
06-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Why does Ubisoft even respond to them? **** those nationalists.

Evenesque
06-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Why does Ubisoft even respond to them? **** those nationalists.

Yea. Nobody says **** when we play games where we shoot afghanis and pakistanis for 12 hours.

De Filosoof
06-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Yea. Nobody says **** when we play games where we shoot afghanis and pakistanis for 12 hours.
Exactly !! Thanks for pointing that out:).

DinoSteve1
06-13-2012, 02:56 AM
Exactly !! Thanks for pointing that out:).

To play devils advocate, where you play the game as Afghanis or Pakistanis killing Americans?

De Filosoof
06-13-2012, 03:23 AM
To play devils advocate, where you play the game as Afghanis or Pakistanis killing Americans?
Why not? It would be a nice change of pace, we're all human beings so what's the difference? Culture, that's right.

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm sure people posted this but might as well say Ubisoft hates Middle Easterners and Europeans. Activision hates Russians and Microsoft hates dark places and the Covenant. (yes, that was an Alan Wake and Halo joke :p)

kriegerdesgottes
06-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm sure people posted this but might as well say Ubisoft hates Middle Easterners and Europeans. Activision hates Russians and Microsoft hates dark places and the Covenant. (yes, that was an Alan Wake and Halo joke :p)

If that was true the Europeans, especially Play.com (an English site) wouldn't consistently get the awesome Collectors Edition while NA gets the crap one every single time.

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 03:58 AM
If that was true the Europeans, especially Play.com (an English site) wouldn't consistently get the awesome Collectors Edition while NA gets the crap one every single time.
Well for AC3 there is going to be a North American special edition, like the rest of the world, that is yet to be finalized.

Evenesque
06-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Well for AC3 there is going to be a North American special edition, like the rest of the world, that is yet to be finalized.

I wouldn't say "like the rest of the world," only because Ubi went out of their way in that forum thread to tell us that basically, they're trying to make the NA version better than the other ones cause the game's about NA.

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't say "like the rest of the world," only because Ubi went out of their way in that forum thread to tell us that basically, they're trying to make the NA version better than the other ones cause the game's about NA.
Yeah but we are on our own in getting a hatchet xD

Biomedical-Fire
06-13-2012, 05:46 AM
If that was true the Europeans, especially Play.com (an English site) wouldn't consistently get the awesome Collectors Edition while NA gets the crap one every single time. I concur kriegerdesgotte, it's more like Ubi hates us Canadians, Americans and 360 owners! ;)

Locopells
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
It is not lost on me, my friend. We (America) are the British Empire of the modern world. Knowing Ubisoft, the irony will be overwhelming in AC3.

'bursts out laughing'

Shaun is going to have SO much fun with this! After all even back then, you weren't excatly perfect (who is?) - after all, '...freedom. But for who?'

BBALive
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Perhaps it would give away the plot twist.

rileypoole1234
06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Gamestop just posted a video.

"AC3 not anti British"

This ought to help get the word out.

itsamea-mario
06-13-2012, 04:12 PM

"AC3 not anti British"

You expect me to locate this video myself?

MT4K
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
You expect me to locate this video myself?

I think he might mean gamespot and not gamestop because when i was searching for it i only found gamespot

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/start-select/?event=startselect20120613

playassassins1
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM

"AC3 not anti British"

Didn't you mean Gamespot, instead of gamestop?

itsamea-mario
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Well it didn't exactly say anything we've not already heard.

EzioAssassin51
06-14-2012, 06:20 AM
As someone already pointed out, no one gives a rats tail if we're killing Afghanis or Russians or even Middle Easterns or Italians in previous AC Games, but suddently there's a fuss because of the US and the Brits being involved, just because they're two big first world countries. Well I say everyone who's complaining is stupid and have no reason to! It's ridiculous. I swear people in this world lose an IQ Point a day! I lose IQ points just looking at some of the stupid as posts in this forum -_-

I like what Alex Hutchinson (Spelling of the last name, and not sure if it was him that said it) said, how it was a British Civil War, which it was!! America was a British Colony! The reasons why the British came to Australia was because the Americans didn't want their convicts anymore after the Revolution.

odovoro
06-14-2012, 06:43 AM
lol dudes it's the world history ( just with adds ) so unless you can go back in time and change the timeline... deal with it.

Evenesque
06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that they've only shown us footage from one sequence of the game? Has anyone stopped to think that just for a second, we're only being showed parts of the game in a single time, consistently, and the area just happened to be heavily British occupied at the time? The places they've shown us are really well done examples of how the game works functionally. That's by design. Why is it so hard to imagine that we're being shown a demonstration that just happens to fall in a section of Connor's timeline that's inundated with British occupation? Why is it so hard to remember that we've been shown story-based demos, and they've all happened around the same time? Can't anyone possibly bridge a synapse long enough to realize that Ubisoft hasn't told us one way or another if certain sequences or sections of the game have a serious focus on killing Redcoats or Colonists? I find it rather easy to imagine that the sequence demos we've been shown are based around a time in Connor's life where his motives just happen to intersect with a lot of British troops. Who knows? Maybe he's rooting out corrupt soldiers? Who's to say 3 sequences later, his focus has shifted to assassinating corrupt colonists, but we aren't shown that in press releases because that's not a part of the game that Ubi feels is the best demonstration of how the game plays.

I'm American, and if the roles were reversed and it looked like the trailers only showed Connor attacking just Americans, guess what?

He's allowed.

Dude's Native American. People seem to be forgetting this. Not only is he Native American, he's also British. No matter who they decide to show you being killed, either side of the poles, he's allowed!

I wouldn't give a whit if Connor killed exclusively Americans, because guess what? All those Americans are dead! I've nothing to do with them! It's 2012! And let's not forget...

THE ENTIRE GAME IS FICTION.

Captain Tomatoz
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that they've only shown us footage from one sequence of the game? Has anyone stopped to think that just for a second, we're only being showed parts of the game in a single time, consistently, and the area just happened to be heavily British occupied at the time? The places they've shown us are really well done examples of how the game works functionally. That's by design. Why is it so hard to imagine that we're being shown a demonstration that just happens to fall in a section of Connor's timeline that's inundated with British occupation? Why is it so hard to remember that we've been shown story-based demos, and they've all happened around the same time? Can't anyone possibly bridge a synapse long enough to realize that Ubisoft hasn't told us one way or another if certain sequences or sections of the game have a serious focus on killing Redcoats or Colonists? I find it rather easy to imagine that the sequence demos we've been shown are based around a time in Connor's life where his motives just happen to intersect with a lot of British troops. Who knows? Maybe he's rooting out corrupt soldiers? Who's to say 3 sequences later, his focus has shifted to assassinating corrupt colonists, but we aren't shown that in press releases because that's not a part of the game that Ubi feels is the best demonstration of how the game plays.

I'm American, and if the roles were reversed and it looked like the trailers only showed Connor attacking just Americans, guess what?

He's allowed.

Dude's Native American. People seem to be forgetting this. Not only is he Native American, he's also British. No matter who they decide to show you being killed, either side of the poles, he's allowed!

I wouldn't give a whit if Connor killed exclusively Americans, because guess what? All those Americans are dead! I've nothing to do with them! It's 2012! And let's not forget...

Couldn't have said it better myself :).

How come so many fans have lost trust in the developers. They have done an amazing job on all games, what makes people think they'll change now?

ARavanna
06-14-2012, 10:33 AM
I didnt get angry when i heard about the storyline.
As a Brit, I'd of sided with the Yanks anyway.

Unfortunately I probably won't be buying this game, as my AC:Rev game refuses to log in, and the support is a joke.
Shame, was looking forward to it.

ProletariatPleb
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

He's allowed.

/Thread

EzioAssassin51
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately I probably won't be buying this game, as my AC:Rev game refuses to log in, and the support is a joke.
Shame, was looking forward to it.

Lol seriously? this is why you're not getting AC3?

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I've already made my feelings clear on the subject, if Ubisoft have nothing against the British then their media would not be so skewed with every screenshot and trailer depicting British soldiers being slaughtered or about to be slaughtered. Also their trailer featuring another slaughter of British soldiers release on the Jubilee, in contrast America had Flag Day and they posted up a FB post of gushing respect for their American fans.

I challenge Ubisoft to release a trailer of Connor chasing down a prominent American historical figure who is a Templar.

itsamea-mario
06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I've already made my feelings clear on the subject, if Ubisoft have nothing against the British then their media would not be so skewed with every screenshot and trailer depicting British soldiers being slaughtered or about to be slaughtered. Also their trailer featuring another slaughter of British soldiers release on the Jubilee, in contrast America had Flag Day and they posted up a FB post of gushing respect for their American fans.

I challenge Ubisoft to release a trailer of Connor chasing down a prominent American historical figure who is a Templar.

I strongly disagree with your statements and i disapprove of your conduct.
And though i respect your opinion i feel the need to kindly ask you to refrain from posting it everywhere.
-A kind and respectful member of the community.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
id like to comment over this issue

as a non american and a non british, (got some british fellas and american family)
i wanna say,
i really love americans and british! these two countries are the two i adore the most on this planet! i like their cultures and hope they will always exist
now on the AC thing... seriously this is dumb.... i dont care about britishbeing my enemies in this game, i mean its obvious that the focus would PROBABLY be more centered on british forces AS AC3 IS BASED ON THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION and NOT the "british" revolution so it sure does make sense if connor kills more british
i seriously dont care, im in love with british accent and it would just make it more awesome and spicy to have british accent-ed enemies
people please stop complaining its the american revolution.. you should live with it, in a ww2 scenario any german wouldnt care because he knows these people during these periods were different than today's, same thing for british imperial forces

still, even if the focus is more anti-british i would still always love these two countries like hell
you guys should grow up and stop complaining... im getting tired from hearing all these weird comments, i mean its not like a game of "white race versus black" such thing would sure as hell get negative critics but its just an inner war... as corey may said it was basically a civil war that erupted into the almighty american nation of today

so please, no more anti american/british wars...

long live US and UK! (woohoo)

MT4K
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Also their trailer featuring another slaughter of British soldiers release on the Jubilee

Until the Queen comes out and complains I don't feel any problem with this. Even if she did complain i'd hope somebody would be smart enough to tell her to not take it too seriously. Also not forgetting that she is Queen of Britain, not America (or france since ubisoft is a french company). They have no obligation to her or her ceremonies. Now if it was a British company or something you might have some merit, but even then it is still harmless because it's just a video game.

in contrast America had Flag Day and they posted up a FB post of gushing respect for their American fans.

I'm sure they respect all their fans regardless of where they are from. I suppose you have more merit to be upset with this than the previous point though. It would be nice for them to not be specific with nationality when thanking their fans and should come out and say they respect them all equally, but alas. it is still harmless and i personally am not bothered in the slightest because i know they aren't doing it to purposely annoy every other country in the world.

There;s still a few months before release. There's plenty of time for them to show bluecoats and bluecoat templars being killed. To be fair. it's just business and it makes perfect sense to appeal to the nationalism of one of the largest markets.

To be honest i admit i find it a little annoying and tiring sure... but if they had the game based in britain and was marketing it with the british anthem and british flags flying everywhere i;d be just as irritated about it, but ultimately wouldn't take it too seriously because again. it would just be marketing.

When they advertise cars they show them doing some really stupid things sometimes. Heck i've seen adverts showing cars driving underwater and performing all sorts of impossible flips and stunts. Doesn;t mean i woul dbuy the car expecting to actually be performing these actions 100% of the time...

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Bleh I don't see why people get riled up even when their nationality is the opposition in a game. I mean with this logic, the Russians should PISSED at the gaming industry :D.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Bleh I don't see why people get riled up even when their nationality is the opposition in a game. I mean with this logic, the Russians should PISSED at the gaming industry :D.

hahahah lmao so true but some russians are annoying :[

Assassin_M
06-15-2012, 03:02 PM
hahahah lmao so true but some russians are annoying :[
Germans were annoying, Arabs were annoying, Israelis were annoying, Europeans were annoying, Asians were annoying, Americans were annoying..
Everyone grows up

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Germans were annoying, Arabs were annoying, Israelis were annoying, Europeans were annoying, Asians were annoying, Americans were annoying..
Everyone grows up

dont be touchy...
ive become very anti russian due to the current affairs in.. well we talk bou it in pm but russia is killing syria and i dont get it..

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
dont be touchy...
ive become very anti russian due to the current affairs in.. well we talk bou it in pm but russia is killing syria and i dont get it..

There's always a bigger picture.

itsamea-mario
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
dont be touchy...

Anti russian government. If you look at the news, you'd see the russian people don't particularly like the government.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Anti russian government. If you look at the news, you'd see the russian people don't particularly like the government.
yea ive seen those, but theyre still not a majority.. sad part..
my ancestry knows well russian racism so i also consider this
but seriously their government's attitude in the middle east is awful and so frustrating......

seahorse123722
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Well everybody wants a happy ending and thats why he is on the american side;)

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
yea ive seen those, but theyre still not a majority.. sad part..
my ancestry knows well russian racism so i also consider this
but seriously their government's attitude in the middle east is awful and so frustrating......

Yeah, cos everyone else's is soooo pure.

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 03:36 PM
well i guess so.. havent been to russia o.0

seahorse123722
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
You should choose your side British or American

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I meant other goverments, not the Russian people!

And I take it you're trying to restart the original argument?

itsamea-mario
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Assassin.

seahorse123722
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I meant other goverments, not the Russian people!

And I take it you're trying to restart the original argument?
Well this is the thread and I have just come on to see this but its just a suggestion

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Assassin.
a british assassin
named connor
:troll:

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Assassin.

What he said...

Well this is the thread and I have just come on to see this but its just a suggestion

Sorry, seemed like you were kicking the hornets nest. My bad!

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Sorry, seemed like you were kicking the hornets nest. My bad!

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I strongly disagree with your statements and i disapprove of your conduct.
And though i respect your opinion i feel the need to kindly ask you to refrain from posting it everywhere.
-A kind and respectful member of the community.

Telling me to be quiet is not respecting my opinion.I am really surprised by the amount of members from the UK who are in support of this anti-British marketing.

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
The marketing no - the game yes.

freddie_1897
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Telling me to be quiet is not respecting my opinion.I am really surprised by the amount of members from the UK who are in support of this anti-British marketing.
you are right, but you will not stay quiet because you are stubborn, you have not made any contribution to these forums and you refuse to listen to reason even when it stares you in the face

itsamea-mario
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Really i was trying my hardest to be polite, but you can go and - yourself.

Why does this topic still exist, no one is getting anywhere.

playassassins1
06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Mr_Shade! Lock this thread!

Locopells
06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Mr_Shade! Lock this thread!

Don't bother, there'll be another in about half a second...

We really need an offical topic for this, to keep all these argument in one place and closely watched.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Here are the facts:

-Ubisoft have released many marketing images and videos where solely British soldiers are being killed FACT
-Ubisoft disrespectfully released one of these trailers on the biggest day for Britain, the Diamond Jubilee FACT
-Ubisoft had to make a statement in defence of their choices FACT (nothing says not guilty like needing to get the PR team out)

Mr_Shade
06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Right..

Stop with the bickering.

The Tempalrs are his enemy - just certain ones have connections.

I can't say more than that, however Connor is not working or sided with any side, he has his own agenda..

"let the pariots fight their own battles, I'm here for the templars"

Check 2:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F2i-dRkPtQA#t=170s

I suggest EVERYONE cool their jets.

Yes it's a tricky issue, but its one which HAS been addressed by the Dev team in person and also in trailers, Connor is not anti British or killing only the British.

If you can't accept that and wait to see, then threads will be locked and after seeing some of the posts in here, people WILL be suspended on both sides..

The released screenshots and trailers are not the only ones before the game releases - however they won't spoil the game just to silence people complaining.

Bickering ends now.

The teams are well aware of this, just dont allow rants and attacks to get this thread closed, it needs to be discussed, however, people need to remember what Connor has said.. It's important.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
My point was never that solely British are killed in the game, the devs have come out and said it, fair enough.

This is however not how Ubisoft are marketing the game, the marketing is skewed and unfair.

Locopells
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Like I said somewhere else - we REALLY need an offical topic for this, to keep it all in one place, closely watch the arguments and educate the people not familiar with how AC games work/ pissed of at the PR team.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Like I said somewhere else - we REALLY need an offical topic for this, to keep it all in one place, closely watch the arguments and educate the people not familiar with how AC games work/ pissed of at the PR team.

The assumption that people complaining are not familiar with AC is wrong, I am a huge fan of AC up until now I would have pointed to the series as one of the best games this gen. I am sure this is the case for other people complaining who are long time AC fans and are also British.

Mr_Shade
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Like I said somewhere else - we REALLY need an offical topic for this, to keep it all in one place, closely watch the arguments and educate the people not familiar with how AC games work/ pissed of at the PR team.We don't..

People would still ignore facts, to suit their own agenda..

This thread, was one I was referring people too, so the team have a central place to monitor - however personal agendas and attacks seem to be forcing this one closed.

No one should be angry at any of the PR..

Locopells
06-15-2012, 04:11 PM
So ban the offenders, don't deprive the chance for intelligent conversation.

Mr_Shade
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
So ban the offenders, don't deprive the chance for intelligent conversation.
We don't ban people for having an opinion, which may differ from others..

We warn people to remain civil, drop the personal insults and post constructively.

We also ask people to read the facts, before assuming.

Locopells
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
We don't ban people for having an opinion, which may differ from others...

When did I say that?

We warn people to remain civil, drop the personal insults and post constructively.

We also ask people to read the facts, before assuming.

If only...

Saar Ben Kiki
06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
the american marketing is obvious but why would you care... they just want to get a bigger audience and its just a marketing issue not the game itself

freddie_1897
06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
i wonder if this will be an epiphany to some people, but when you say that the marketing makes your country look bad and you won't buy the game, that is actually making your country look worse.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 04:36 PM
i wonder if this will be an epiphany to some people, but when you say that the marketing makes your country look bad and you won't buy the game, that is actually making your country look worse.
Agreed.

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
the american marketing is obvious but why would you care... they just want to get a bigger audience and its just a marketing issue not the game itself

Exactly it is a marketing issue, Ubisoft are marketing the game all wrong.

itsamea-mario
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Why do you care.

ProletariatPleb
06-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Yes and in every interview they are also saying we're not a pro-US guy killing all Brits.

misterB2001
06-15-2012, 07:55 PM

No, they are probably marketing it right, the are marketing it toward the masses. Last time I looked America was a tad bigger than England and probably a bigger source of income too.

The way they are marketing it they are appealing to the masses of USA and the rest of the world. The only people who aren't happy are a very small amount of brits and I do meant a very small amount.

D173120T
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Maybe...............................just all the Templars just "happen" to be British?

There we go,thats it sorted!Moving on.......................

freddie_1897
06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Maybe...............................just all the Templars just "happen" to be British?

great, now what shall we complain about?

D173120T
06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
great, now what shall we complain about?

Greece dragging the rest of the EU down?That should stimulate some debate.LOL

Kaiskune
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Greece dragging the rest of the EU down?That should stimulate some debate.LOL

shouldn't that be the EU dragging Europe down?

CSKarasu
06-15-2012, 10:19 PM
No, they are probably marketing it right, the are marketing it toward the masses. Last time I looked America was a tad bigger than England and probably a bigger source of income too.

The way they are marketing it they are appealing to the masses of USA and the rest of the world. The only people who aren't happy are a very small amount of brits and I do meant a very small amount.

It's an unfair marketing campaign and a slap in the face to anyone who identifies with being British when Ubisoft release trailers and screenshots depicting British soldiers killed on the Jubilee. It is a matter of national pride and respect.

DinoSteve1
06-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't think that people are pissed off because its brits v americans. I think people are pissed off that the game will be all like America is awesome, America **** yeah.

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 10:48 PM
It's an unfair marketing campaign and a slap in the face to anyone who identifies with being British when Ubisoft release trailers and screenshots depicting British soldiers killed on the Jubilee. It is a matter of national pride and respect.

It's not really like it's a personal attack on the British, as an American I personally would love to see Connor doing in some patriots and colonists with his tomahawk to add variety :p. Have some faith in Ubisoft, if you've been with the series since the first game, you'll know that AC has always been about Assassins vs. Templars regardless of nationality, religion, or race.

What they're doing is far from ridiculing or belittling the British.

Evenesque
06-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't think that people are pissed off because its brits v americans. I think people are pissed off that the game will be all like America is awesome, America **** yeah.

Even if it was, which it's not, who gives a ****?

Jexx21
06-16-2012, 12:06 AM

maybe......you shouldn't use annoying methods of typing that include these............................................. .................................................. ..

because it's one of the most annoying things I have ever seen.moving on................................................ .................................................. .....................

brick177
06-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Caption of this photo: "Connor rushes to hug Bluecoat.".......

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/5/59768/2142126-Wwfnk.jpg

tarrero
06-16-2012, 12:19 AM
That image is not what it seems, if you look for the scans of some that magazine, you will notice that connor is not running straight to Charles lee.
However I have a strong feeling that Lee might have a HUGE role on this game....

brick177
06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah, and Charles Lee doesn't die until after the war. They did say they were going to be accurate with the stuff you can easily google (like where prominent people were and when they died) and since a lot of that was known, we probably won't be killing any historic figures that didn't actually die in the battles we might kill them in.

Arathar
06-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Just so you guys know, Connor is half British half Mowhawk. Not half American. Half British. So please, stop the "omg killing british" and start enjoying the game for what it is, friggin awesome

tarrero
06-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah, and Charles Lee doesn't die until after the war. They did say they were going to be accurate with the stuff you can easily google (like where prominent people were and when they died) and since a lot of that was known, we probably won't be killing any historic figures that didn't actually die in the battles we might kill them in.

I have my pesonal theory on this character based of some historical and game facts stated by the devps:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 He was british and had twins with an unknown mohawk woman.
2 Connor is a mohawk born from a native mother and british father.
3. On the April game informer issue, there is an uncofirmed image featuring a man with great resemblance to Charles lee´s artwork grabbing what it seems to be a young connor.
4. Connors village is going to be destroyed
5.He received a court martial veredict and had a grugde against Washington.
6. The game will span from 1753 to 1783
7 He died in Philadelphia, 1782
8 Philadelphia is set to be featured in the game, but on a more linear fashion, pretty much like AC2 Rome...

So I wonder if.....

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Also, can't really call anyone back then "American". Except maybe Native Americans.

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I have my pesonal theory on this character based of some historical and game facts stated by the devps:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 He was british and had twins with an unknown mohawk woman.
2 Connor is a mohawk born from a native mother and british father.
3. On the April game informer issue, there is an uncofirmed image featuring a man with great resemblance to Charles lee´s artwork grabbing what it seems to be a young connor.
4. Connors village is going to be destroyed
5.He received a court martial veredict and had a grugde against Washington.
6. The game will span from 1753 to 1783
7 He died in Philadelphia, 1782
8 Philadelphia is set to be featured in the game, but on a more linear fashion, pretty much like AC2 Rome...

So I wonder if.....

Nice catches. An excellent theory!

RzaRecta357
06-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Well, Alex said twist when they mentioned giving away stories so you're probably right on that one.

kudos17
06-16-2012, 02:45 AM
You know what's funny? I would bet my left nut that this whole debacle is simply because the British side is presumed less favored than Americans (or so people believe) due to the trailers. If this were, hypothetically, the Turkish or something against the British, then no one would care. I mean, so what if we are a few Turkish soldiers killing some British? But bring America into that mix, the old rivalry - then BAM! - you have "Anti-British marketing" and "Pandering to American audiences".

Stop being so touchy people. Countries are fictional borders - nothing more. At the end of the day, Connor will kill Templars. And if all those Templars DO happen to be British (which I doubt), then so what? He's not killing them just because they're Brits - he's killing them because, in the game lore, they are a threat to peace and free will.

freddie_1897
06-16-2012, 08:57 AM
I hate all these people who think they represent the entire British population when they say that they don't like being the bad guys

misterB2001
06-16-2012, 09:28 AM

What has the queens jubilee got to do with anything? It's the queens day, no one elses. a matter of national pride and respect?...Trolololol

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Why are you making threads if you're not satisfied with what is being shown/given, don't want it, don't buy it.

Kaiskune
06-16-2012, 10:17 AM

sorry but that is utter bolloks. aside from being commander in chief the queen has nothing to do with the armed forces. releasing the trailer on the jubilee is not that huge a deal. releasing one on Armed Forces Day (30th June) on the other hand... then Ubisoft would be asking for trouble

instead of raging about video game depiction take pride in the fact that the Red coats (which were only red because it was the cheapest dye at the time, Oliver Cromwell actually wanted them to be brown) were one of the earliest western professional armies (after the Romans) and with it along side the Royal Navy a tiny island nation created an empire to be proud of. something the US will never do (sorry gentlemen but if you don't mind me saying... you've left building an empire far too late)

I know there was a little uproar when AC1 came out as church dwellers accused Ubisoft of anti-christian sentimentality during its production. but this pretend british patriotism as gone on long enough.

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Have just watched the preview of assasins creed and sorry the most offensive video i have seen to the absolute idiot who says were all idiots is the biggest waste of space iv ever heard
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT
i have just seen on our british news of another soldier dead fighting another lost american cause at the same time the video shows a bold american eagle over seeing a slaughter of british troops by one man while the american traiters to the crown watched the biggest load of ******** iv seen ever
the developers seem to think tis is an okay thing to show and calm down bollox
what if this was the other way round loads of american soldiers being slaughtered by one mab while a brave english lion watched oh no you wouldnt that is unacceptable game wouldnt be made trash that
why do you think its okay to trash the british so harshly all the time the assasins creed game are the best you can get out in the market and the developers should be applauded but this to me is so offensive im leaving the franchise i no longer care about the story the characters or how it ends im now gonna steart a way to boycott this mess in this country ubi soft should be ashamed of themselves

LightRey
06-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Have just watched the preview of assasins creed and sorry the most offensive video i have seen to the absolute idiot who says were all idiots is the biggest waste of space iv ever heard
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT
i have just seen on our british news of another soldier dead fighting another lost american cause at the same time the video shows a bold american eagle over seeing a slaughter of british troops by one man while the american traiters to the crown watched the biggest load of ******** iv seen ever
the developers seem to think tis is an okay thing to show and calm down bollox
what if this was the other way round loads of american soldiers being slaughtered by one mab while a brave english lion watched oh no you wouldnt that is unacceptable game wouldnt be made trash that
why do you think its okay to trash the british so harshly all the time the assasins creed game are the best you can get out in the market and the developers should be applauded but this to me is so offensive im leaving the franchise i no longer care about the story the characters or how it ends im now gonna steart a way to boycott this mess in this country ubi soft should be ashamed of themselves
You are just another one of those people that thinks themselves above Muslims, Christians, Italians, Spanish (the entire Borgia family is Spanish and as such it is in fact the Spanish that can be seen as the "bad guys" in ACII and ACB), Turks and Greeks all of which could be viewed as "the enemy" at certain points in the games.

If you want to complain about this, I say you do not have the right unless you're also willing to complain about at least 3 of those.

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes well you put me in my place well done lad good work dont you see even an ounce of where im coming from as our soldiers are coming back in coffins instead of having a decent argument to come up with you call me ugly and have no friends what is that about iv challenged you now or are you gonna call me smelly !!!!!!! What are you talking about against muslims christians italians spanish im sticking up for this racist bollox i dont remember masses of italians soldiers spanish soldiers beng slaughtered by the numbers this coming from some one who has 10860 posts on a game site tells me i have no friends

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes well you put me in my place well done lad good work dont you see even an ounce of where im coming from as our soldiers are coming back in coffins instead of having a decent argument to come up with you call me ugly and have no friends what is that about iv challenged you now or are you gonna call me smelly !!!!!!! What are you talking about against muslims christians italians spanish im sticking up for this racist bollox i dont remember masses of italians soldiers spanish soldiers beng slaughtered by the numbers this coming from some one who has 10860 posts on a game site tells me i have no friends

First of all, modern conflicts are irrelevant to the time period that is being presented in Assassin's Creed 3. Secondly, being "British" or "American" is not a race, it is a nationality.

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:38 AM
still can you not see the point im trying to make again ill explain it their our vidoes of a new game coming out that are killing british soldiers under union jack flags while on the news their are soldiers coming back in coffins when you can show me an assasins creed video of a mighty italian army under italian flags being killed ill start to tae that light ray argument a bit more credit than it deserves

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
sto telling me to be annoyed at this RACIST situation

LightRey
06-16-2012, 11:41 AM
sto telling me to be annoyed at this RACIST situation
Americans are like the British predominantly Caucasian. There is no racism here. You are thinking of nationalism, which, btw, you are displaying much more.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 11:42 AM
still can you not see the point im trying to make again ill explain it their our vidoes of a new game coming out that are killing british soldiers under union jack flags while on the news their are soldiers coming back in coffins when you can show me an assasins creed video of a mighty italian army under italian flags being killed ill start to tae that light ray argument a bit more credit than it deserves

Soldiers coming back in coffins because of their participation in modern day conflicts are irrelevant to the civil war between Americans and British in history. Stop using it as an excuse to hide behind, especially since you're using it to argue against a game of all things.

British people died back then too, that's a fact. Just because you don't like that they're British and they're dying, it doesn't make a difference.

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Racism is about all colours creeds nationalities and identities as long as its about the english or brits its never deemed racist Ps i am a christian from a christian family dont tell me im above all relegions light ray

LightRey
06-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Racism is about all colours creeds nationalities and identities as long as its about the english or brits its never deemed racist Ps i am a christian from a christian family dont tell me im above all relegions light ray
Racism is about races. Period. Not nationalities, not religions, not "identities", whatever the hell that means. Get a dictionary and look it up.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Poor guy..
Doesn't even know the difference between race and nationality...
Are you from planet Britain ?? Cheers from Earth, mate

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Americans are like the British predominantly Caucasian. There is no racism here. You are thinking of nationalism, which, btw, you are displaying much more.

nationalism is a political ideology mr rey or what ever

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Racism is about races. Period. Not nationalities, not religions, not "identities", whatever the hell that means. Get a dictionary and look it up.

you still missing the point whatever label you stick on it its still highly inappropiate and not one of you are willing to acknowledge that fact i find that really upsetting esp from serrachio they have taken this to an extreme what is not represented in any othe title

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
you still missing the point whatever label you stick on it its still highly inappropiate and not one of you are willing to acknowledge that fact i find that really upsetting esp from serrachio they have taken this to an extreme what is not represented in any othe title
Alright lets be rational..
Why exactly are you upset ?

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 11:58 AM
ubi soft when making this game about the past should consider the present and that it might in a few cases upset people but the pople who do get upset our called ****ing idiots not surprised we get riled up

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 11:59 AM
ubi soft when making this game about the past should consider the present and that it might in a few cases upset people but the pople who do get upset our called ****ing idiots not surprised we get riled up
Just calm down..
can you be a bit more clear ? no one`s gonna call you an idiot or anything, lets just solve this dilemma like gentlemen.. K ?
So why are you upset ?

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Let me guess. It's an "extreme" because they're British?

Would you complain that Russians are stereotyped as terrorist organizations in many first-person shooter games? Or perhaps people from the Middle East? I doubt you would.

You have no argument, you're just aimlessly complaining because you somehow feel the need to defend your country from any negative portrayal, despite it having a genuine historical basis. If you don't like it that much, the solution is simple: Don't buy the game.

EzioAssassin51
06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
reading these posts make me sad, especially from those paulpoker and Saint_Shield guys. *sigh* I guess you just can't change an idiot's mind (Sorry M for calling him an idiot again)

EDIT: Oh and paulpoker, Italian soldiers and Spanish soldiers did get killed in mases in the Battle of Viena (is that right) at the end of ACB. OH THE HUMANITY *CRY CRY CRY, RANT RANT RANT, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN* HOW COULD UBISOFT KILL PIXELS :'(

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Alright lets be rational..
Why exactly are you upset ?

its not the time period the revolutionary war that bothers me its the extreme way that the british soldiers are being killed in such a huge way the makers say it about the templers but the templers iv seen all have red coats on please if im wrong show and tell me
the jump from medievel europe to the american war smacks of desperation to win the american audiences over
and all of those soldiers who are watching them being killed under the union jack are the blue coats or the rebels they have totally forced me away from this franchise that i love and im bloody angry about it

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 12:08 PM
reading these posts make me sad, especially from those paulpoker and Saint_Shield guys. *sigh* I guess you just can't change an idiot's mind (Sorry M for calling him an idiot again)

EDIT: Oh and paulpoker, Italian soldiers and Spanish soldiers did get killed in mases in the Battle of Viena (is that right) at the end of ACB. OH THE HUMANITY *CRY CRY CRY, RANT RANT RANT, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN* HOW COULD UBISOFT KILL PIXELS :'(

clever

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 12:08 PM
its not the time period the revolutionary war that bothers me its the extreme way that the british soldiers are being killed in such a huge way the makers say it about the templers but the templers iv seen all have red coats on please if im wrong show and tell me
the jump from medievel europe to the american war smacks of desperation to win the american audiences over
and all of those soldiers who are watching them being killed under the union jack are the blue coats or the rebels they have totally forced me away from this franchise that i love and im bloody angry about it
Lets take this step by step..
You are angry about seeing too many British being killed ?

seahorse123722
06-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Someone has to be the enemy...

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 12:11 PM

in those batlles where they killed in masses under their flag by one person ??????????????//

LightRey
06-16-2012, 12:11 PM
nationalism is a political ideology mr rey or what ever
Nationalism is not a political ideology. Communism is a political ideology. Nationalism is discrimination based on nationality, like racism is discrimination based on race. Do you even know what a political ideology is? In what way could nationalism even be a political ideology?

seahorse123722
06-16-2012, 12:13 PM
At the end of the day this war was ages ago people don't really have family that they know from that war so i do not see the problem if people can't deal with history then don't play the game.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 12:13 PM

So the American Revolution can't be used as an Assassin's Creed setting because you don't like it, just that you don't like British soldiers are dying and that there's a Union Jack?

That's just childish.

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Lets take this step by step..
You are angry about seeing too many British being killed ?

at the end of the day thier advertisment for this game is lots of british troops being killed in mass end of
im aware of british history very well as it is alife long study of mine the amaerican war was well won by them i dont blame them i would do the same honestly
im aware the its a canadian game and we share a heck of alot of history together two world wars to be precise
but this justs takes the whole portrayel of this killin to another level

seahorse123722
06-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I hate people like this they are always stuck in the past get over it , it happened ages ago.

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 12:19 PM
at the end of the day thier advertisment for this game is lots of british troops being killed in mass end of
im aware of british history very well as it is alife long study of mine the amaerican war was well won by them i dont blame them i would do the same honestly
im aware the its a canadian game and we share a heck of alot of history together two world wars to be precise
Listen, this game has always been about Templars (who are not evil btw), and it just so happens that there is a Templar among the RedCoat Captains and Generals, and it just so happens that this General is guarded by his troops, so what would you expect ? he has to get to his target, mate

paulpoker182
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
you no what im so sorry that getting upset by this and not liking it has offended you all if this is too much for you im really not interested in arguing it any more glad you all ganged up on me and showed what a stupid little englander i am congrats well done but hey im english you can say what you want

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Connor is an Assassin. Assassins kill. To make him a viable game protagonist, he would need to be portrayed in this way, because no-one expects a weak protagonist from an action-based game.

seahorse123722
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Connor just went along with the Americans probably because they had info on where generals of there army where

Assassin_M
06-16-2012, 12:22 PM
you no what im so sorry that getting upset by this and not liking it has offended you all if this is too much for you im really not interested in arguing it any more glad you all ganged up on me and showed what a stupid little englander i am congrats well done but hey im english you can say what you want
Oh come on, man No one ganged up on you, We are just trying to help, sure some people do it in "their" way but that is just because they are passionate about their game, just like you are passionate about your country..

freddie_1897
06-16-2012, 12:24 PM
So wait, your annoyed that the trailers show Connor killing a few redcoats in a video game, but do you not realise that the redcoats killed thousands and thousands of innocent people in real life.

You are annoyed that Brits are being killed, and even though the debs said that the redcoats aren't the baddies you should be happy that's the case, because we Brits did so much wrong and showing us as evil in a video game is the least that should have been done in behalf of all the people we killed.

And come on, it was hardly a massacre, Connor killed like 10 people in all the trailers put together, derrik Byrd killed more people and he's English!

seahorse123722
06-16-2012, 12:28 PM
At the end of the day if you think the devs have something against the British ( they have not ) then don't buy the game and don't comment on here.

NinjaOnFire
06-16-2012, 12:47 PM
So wait, your annoyed that the trailers show Connor killing a few redcoats in a video game, but do you not realise that the redcoats killed thousands and thousands of innocent people in real life.

You are annoyed that Brits are being killed, and even though the debs said that the redcoats aren't the baddies you should be happy that's the case, because we Brits did so much wrong and showing us as evil in a video game is the least that should have been done in behalf of all the people we killed.

And come on, it was hardly a massacre, Connor killed like 10 people in all the trailers put together, derrik Byrd killed more people and he's English!

Americans would have killed innocents but all the brits left their families at home, every side is wrong in a war.

As a brit, who hates brits because they are all common as **** and hates americans because they get twinkies and deep fried everything, I personally don't care who connor kills as long as it is violent as possible.
we all know how the war ended anyway, and we all know that eventually America and UK will assimilate into the One World Order.

LightRey
06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Tbh, with that spelling and grammar I find it very hard to believe you're actually English.

itsamea-mario
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Tbh, with that spelling and grammar I find it very hard to believe you're actually English.

I'd say with Spellar and Gramming like that, he's more likely to be english.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Excuse me?

ProletariatPleb
06-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Haha

NinjaOnFire
06-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Excuse me?
You have realised that England is full of people who give disabilities a bad name?

Locopells
06-16-2012, 01:36 PM
we all know how the war ended anyway, and we all know that eventually America and UK will assimilate into the One World Order.

Don't give them ideas...

brick177
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I just watched the trailer and counted, he kills 11 soldiers including the Templar commander.

The Eagle is an assassin symbol.

The British Union Jack Flag is the only country's flag that is shown.

The whole first part of the video shows British regulars mowing down wounded and retreating rebel forces.

At the end, the city of Boston is burning in the distance.

I guess we all see what we want to see. But a mass slaughter of British troops with American flags waving is not even remotely what the trailer portrays.

Locopells
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Agreed. It's rather more subtle then that.

On a different point, has anyone any idea who the Brit commander in the CGI trailer is meant to be? Or is he just a random officer?

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Has anyone any idea who the Brit commander in the CGI trailer is meant to be? Or is he just a random officer?

Can't really state this as fact, but it's believed to be John Pitcairn.

You have realised that England is full of people who give disabilities a bad name?

That's a broad generalisation, one which you have no proof to back up. I don't particularly care if your location says you're from England, I would rather people didn't **** off people with disabilities. That's just sheer disrespect towards a group of people and doesn't make you look good on the internet.

brick177
06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
It appears to be the Battle of Bunker Hill. Many officers were lost, here's a brief overview from Wiki:

The British had taken the ground but at a great loss; they suffered 1,054 casualties (226 dead and 828 wounded), with a disproportionate number of these officers. The casualty count was the highest suffered by the British in any single encounter during the entire war.[55] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Brooks237-54) General Clinton, echoing Pyrrhus of Epirus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhus_of_Epirus), remarked in his diary that "A few more such victories would have shortly put an end to British dominion in America."[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Clinton19-0) British dead and wounded included 100 commissioned officers, a significant portion of the British officer corps in North America.[56] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Brooks184-55) Much of General Howe's field staff was among the casualties.[57] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Frothingham145-56) Major Pitcairn had been killed, and Lieutenant Colonel James Abercrombie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Abercrombie_(Bunker_Hill)) fatally wounded. General Gage, in his report after the battle, reported the following officer casualties (listing lieutenants and above by name):[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Frothingham387-57)

1 lieutenant colonel killed
2 majors killed, 3 wounded
7 captains killed, 27 wounded
9 lieutenants killed, 32 wounded
15 sergeants killed, 42 wounded
1 drummer killed, 12 wounded
The colonial losses were about 450, of whom 140 were killed. Most of the colonial losses came during the withdrawal. Major Andrew McClary was technically the highest ranking colonial officer to die in the battle; he was hit by cannon fire on Charlestown neck, the last person to be killed in the battle. He was later commemorated by the dedication of Fort McClary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McClary) in Kittery, Maine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kittery,_Maine).[59] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Bardwell76-58) A serious loss to the Patriot cause, however, was the death of Dr. Joseph Warren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Warren). He was the President of Massachusetts' Provincial Congress, and he had been appointed a Major General on June 14. His commission had not yet taken effect when he served as a volunteer private three days later at Bunker Hill.[60] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Ketchum150-59) Only thirty men were captured by the British, most of them with grievous wounds; twenty died while held prisoner. The colonials also lost numerous shovels and other entrenching tools, as well as 5 out of the 6 cannon they had brought to the peninsula.[61] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill#cite_note-Ketchum255-60)

Locopells
06-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Rite, ta.

Edit: Thanks for fixing the font colour!

itsamea-mario
06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Can't really state this as fact, but it's believed to be John Pitcairn.

That's a broad generalisation, one which you have no proof to back up. I don't particularly care if your location says you're from England, I would rather people didn't **** off people with disabilities. That's just sheer disrespect towards a group of people and doesn't make you look good on the internet.

He wasn't insulting people with disabilities. He is saying some British people are really really stupid, which is true.

brick177
06-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I think the majority of people everywhere are stupid. Statistically. it has to be true.

tsc0308
06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Agreed brick77. There are stupid people everywhere. Denouncing people based on their nationality is probably MORE stupid in itself.

Look, as someone from the UK, the problem for me is not the killing British soldiers. I have no love for any country (patriotism and nationalism are archaic and outdated concepts that cause wars and rifts in the now-global society). I could care less about the nationality of the pixels that I just stabbed in the face. The problem for me is that it might end up as a 30 hour " 'Merica **** yeah, We're so incorruptibly good in everything " trip that would ruin the game for me, and I'm sure many people who live outside of the US.

If Ubisoft portray the conflict in Shades of Grey rather than Black and White, then I'll have no problem with this at all. The 1700s are an awesome period, and all I want is for the situation to be given historically sensible connotations.

This series is about science-fiction in history, and that's the story I'm most interested in.

EzioAssassin51
06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
in those batlles where they killed in masses under their flag by one person ??????????????//

Well umm... yes... In fact those Spanish were portrayed as being horrible considering they killed an innocent woman begging for help. And yes, pretty much Ezio mowed down half of them, same as Conor killed the British... In fact, Ezio killed more Spanish in that battle than Conor killed the British in the trailer!

And guys please, it's bad enough we have arguments started by people like this, who join the forums just to complain, don't start an argument between some of our older members. Mario and Serrachio, not trying to be a ****** but please stop while you're ahead!

brick177
06-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Agreed brick77. There are stupid people everywhere. Denouncing people based on their nationality is probably MORE stupid in itself.

Look, as someone from the UK, the problem for me is not the killing British soldiers. I have no love for any country (patriotism and nationalism are archaic and outdated concepts that cause wars and rifts in the now-global society). I could care less about the nationality of the pixels that I just stabbed in the face. The problem for me is that it might end up as a 30 hour " 'Merica **** yeah, We're so incorruptibly good in everything " trip that would ruin the game for me, and I'm sure many people who live outside of the US.

If Ubisoft portray the conflict in Shades of Grey rather than Black and White, then I'll have no problem with this at all. The 1700s are an awesome period, and all I want is for the situation to be given historically sensible connotations.

This series is about science-fiction in history, and that's the story I'm most interested in.

It won't be a nationalistic flag fest. You can't make a period piece during the 1600-1900 range without nationalism being the back drop, because that was the grand age of nationalism. Everybody had flags and wanted to plant them on far away lands and fight underneath them with drums and fifes playing. If they got rid of that stuff, it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of the era. There's obviously a disconnect between the people who made the game and the people marketing the game, but we all very well know that the people who made the game, made a game that will take place in the shadows of history, and a plot that centers around the Assassins and the Templars.

Serrachio
06-16-2012, 03:34 PM
He wasn't insulting people with disabilities. He is saying some British people are really really stupid, which is true.

I won't continue this debate further past this point, but he was insulting disabled people. People wouldn't put "full of people who give disabilities a bad name" if they weren't referring to disabled people in a negative fashion.

That's not calling people stupid, because they would have put "There are a lot of stupid people in England" otherwise. That example there would still be a generalisation, which you can still disagree with, but it wouldn't be as venomous and ignorant.

Jexx21
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I think that the cinematic E3 trailer is accurate in it's depiction of the game. Now, not in the sense that we'll always be killing red coats, but instead in the sense that Connor is a badass who can take down his target. Also, he wasn't really rushing headlong into battle, he was hiding whenever the next volley of bullets came around. It shows that Connor isn't completely sure of the colonist rebels, as he doesn't know what kind of liberty and freedom that they are really fighting for.

The slaughter of the British troops is because at the current battle the Templar is a British Official. If we go after Templars on the Rebel side, then we'll probably have to take down American troops aswell.

You know, you can always choose to not kill any of the guards you fight. Redcoat or Bluecoat, you don't have to kill them unless they are a Templar. This is pretty much the only Assassin's Creed game where that will be possible (while hand to hand combat left them alive in the past game, it looks like you're killing them anyway).

EDIT:

But at the same time, the World Gameplay Premiere trailer is crap. I like what Connor is saying, but the imagery that the marketing team put along with it is crap and doesn't show what the devs say the true spirit of the game is. "I will fight the enemy, regardless of their allegiance" would of been a perfect place to show off the killing of a Continental army-man, yet they show a bear. What the hell, a bear? And then "The future of our land depends on those who are truly free" with the backdrop of the American Flag when he says 'truly free'. That last sentence sounds something more like Connor would tell Washington, or when talking to the Assassins, not on the backdrop of the flag.

That trailer was completely pro-American. The E3 cinematic trailer wasn't, however.

Jamiedwi
06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Look, I think everyone is missing the important point: there are no union jacks shown in the entire trailer, there are however some union flags - the British flag - as a 'jack' is a pennant of a ship, not the flag you would put on a standard or banner. Anyway with that out of the way down to some less important things :p

1) Although everyone has a right to a view some people are taking the whole thing out of proportion and are truly casting their own countries in a bad light, not to mention being downright offensive. I'm not mentioning any names but there are these people on both sides of the argument.

2) You may not think that you are insulting some people with what you consider jokes, but take a moment to put yourself in some one else's shoes and see if they would be offended. I for one was quite offended when people started saying
"I'd say with Spellar and Gramming like that, he's more likely to be english.",
"You have realised that England is full of people who give disabilities a bad name?"
some British people are really really stupid so could you just think about what you are saying.

3) Personally I don't mind that Connor kills British troops but if he only kills them and no Americans then I think that is wrong since that isn't what the game is about, its templars and assassins, not Americans and British so I don't want to see the main character taking sides in a conflict that doesn't especially relate to his course, and if all the templars are British then I think that too would be plain stupid also, since that wouldn't be true to their own ideology.

Evenesque
06-16-2012, 09:02 PM
This needs to die.

Locopells
06-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Where's your wooden stake when you need it?!

Serrachio
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
If people want this thread to die, let it die.

Adding more comments to it is counter-productive.

Locopells
06-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Hence the sarcastic comments...

Calvarok
06-17-2012, 05:44 AM
I don't understand why it's continuing. I see no reason to distrust direct quotes from the story writers. If the game was actually heavily biased against the British, then why would they bother denying it? They would just come out and say it. Who cares about the marketing. If you know anything about the story you know why Connor didn't fight *with* the Colonials in the E3 trailer, and what he meant by "those who are truly free" (The Assassins)

We know what they meant. Stop worry about how it appears to someone who knows nothing about the series. If they buy it, they'll figure it out.

masterfenix2009
06-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Are we still arguing about this? I hate all this patriotic crap.

I wonder if fall from my roof would kill me? * looks at more patriotic nonsense*

Screw it. I don't care if it kills me.

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't understand why it's continuing. I see no reason to distrust direct quotes from the story writers. If the game was actually heavily biased against the British, then why would they bother denying it? They would just come out and say it. Who cares about the marketing. If you know anything about the story you know why Connor didn't fight *with* the Colonials in the E3 trailer, and what he meant by "those who are truly free" (The Assassins)

We know what they meant. Stop worry about how it appears to someone who knows nothing about the series. If they buy it, they'll figure it out.
Well to be fair, when he said truly free with an American flag in the background people may not have instantly thought "oh he means the assassins" I don't think we can blame people for not liking that part of the trailer because it was clearly there to get the American audience even more on board

BATISTABUS
06-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Maybe if we keep talking about how absurd this thread is, it'll get locked for too much off-topic discussion.

I really don't understand this. Everything we hear from the developers or Connor repeatedly assures and re-assures the players that this isn't demonizing the British.

Even the cinematic trailer constantly points to this.
Connor starts off literally outside of the battle, watching down on the conflict that doesn't concern him. When he enters the colonial camp, they seem to be saying "Stop right there, who the hell do you think you are?" Connor replies with a "****-off" push and continues on his mission. When he finally goes in for the kill, he even takes the time to push back the commander's coat to BLATANTLY SHOW THE AUDIENCE HE'S BEING KILLED BECAUSE HE'S A TEMPLAR, NOT A REDCOAT.

Honestly, get over it.

LordWolv
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Look:
If the game comes out and Connor is clearly demonizing redcoats BECAUSE THEY ARE redcoats, then this thread will have a point.
But all we've seen is trailers.

brefcourte
06-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I guess when the devs said "'We've got nothing against the British'" they meant "'We've got nothing against the British'; nothing that helps" :rolleyes:

D173120T
06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
maybe......you shouldn't use annoying methods of typing that include these............................................. .................................................. ..

because it's one of the most annoying things I have ever seen.moving on................................................ .................................................. .....................

And your point is?............................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

medcsu
06-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I've been a member here for quite a long time, but do not post all that much. I have a take on this issue though.

Freedom is everything the Assassins stand for (in essence). Occupation/Control is everything the Templars stand for (again, in essence). That being said, if Ubisoft is going to portray this era correctly it must be concluded that the Brits would, of course, be the main force that Connor would be taking on as it simply makes sense as the Brit's are invading force attempting to reclaim colonies that have declared their own freedoms. Why is this an issue?

While I am next to positive there will be traitors in terms of Blue Coats and Templars within their ranks, it is only obvious that the main purpose is to, as Ezio states, allow "people to choose their own paths and decide for themselves (BOTV)" and with that being said, to help the young America territory fits quite well. In fact, it fits extremely well into the Assassins mindset.

The same people who are complaining are simply, let's be honest here, anti American and would have complained regardless of anything. However, if they took the time to read up on the Revolutionary War and are, in fact, fans of history. Not America, or England, but HISTORY, they would have a very large respect for how amazing this game would coincide with the Assassins idealism.

Stop the bullshet about these stupid complaints. This game looks amazing, the story seems to be excellent and I can guarantee if your desire is to kill Americans (which is all it seems like), you will have it. Consider why you are truly complaining.....it's simply ridiculous as every single AC game in the past has used a culture for these ends in the past. Did you get upset when Altair killed Brits in Acre? I mean...REALLY?

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 06:09 PM
^you haven't been a member for that long, you joined this month and that was your only post.

i agree with your comment though

NOLA_Assassin
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Really? This is getting out of hand. The reason he's killing Redcoats is because most gameplay takes place early before the Revolution, like the demos in 1773 and 1776. It takes time for the Templars to infiltrate and corrupt an organization. Also, all the guards at this time would've been Redcoats because they controlled everything; I'm sure as the war goes on, and Brits lose more ground, Templar influence among the Patriots will grow and Redcoats will be replaced by Colonial militia. Boston was taken from the British in 1776, so most Patriot Templar killing will be happening after that.

Everyone have faith!

Also, the reason they've been using the 13-star American flag and George Washington in they're marketing is because they're iconic symbols of the time period. How many people know who Clinton or Cornwallis were? and if they'd be putting Union Jacks on the cover then it leaves uncertainty to the time period while the American one is immediately identifiable.

So I call on all Assassin's Creed fans, and gaming fans in general, to transcend these petty nationalistic feelings and come together to play this awesome looking game as brothers (or sisters) and let your criticism be constructive and not influenced by ill feelings over war that happened over 200 years ago. Enough is enough, SHUT UP!!!

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 06:14 PM
im not going to write a long paragraph, i'm not going to make any points other than the best thing to do is just ignore all the people who complain (without an incredibly good reason​) about this topic. that way everyone can just stop arguing

medcsu
06-17-2012, 06:20 PM
^you haven't been a member for that long, you joined this month and that was your only post.

i agree with your comment though

I have actually been a member since Brotherhood. I simply haven't logged in in awhile so that may be why it comes up as that. Doesn't really matter though.

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I have actually been a member since Brotherhood. I simply haven't logged in in awhile so that may be why it comes up as that. Doesn't really matter though.
it doesn't matter, but your join date shouldn't change because you didn't log in in ages

RatonhnhakeFan
06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Look at my sig. That quote is a rather open criticism of American Revolution so I don't see why people think Ubi is only biased against Brits even if they showed Ratonhnhaké:ton killing just red coats so far

NOLA_Assassin
06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
im not going to write a long paragraph, i'm not going to make any points other than the best thing to do is just ignore all the people who complain (without an incredibly good reason​) about this topic. That way everyone can just stop arguing

but they're so obnoxious!!!

freddie_1897
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
but they're so obnoxious!!!
you don't listen to them okay? DONT LISTEN TO THEM!

Black_Widow9
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
While we encourage discussion and welcome debate, it needs to remain civil and respectful. Insults and anger are not allowed and will not be tolerated so please make sure you post within the Forum Guidelines.

heathermary
06-17-2012, 09:50 PM

I agree, the American civil war setting feels so disconnected from the previous games. Maybe they didn’t want to make the Americans jealous that these games centred on a rich European history instead of them. Let’s face it; American history didn’t get off to a good start when King George said on the day of their victory that “nothing important happened today”. The Americans have had a superiority complex ever since.
I have enjoyed the previous games, they are games that I have played over and over again, but don’t think I’ll pay money to be bored by the American civil war again.

heathermary
06-17-2012, 09:56 PM

At a time when British soldiers are dying for an American war, we should be looking at those periods in history that unite us rather than separate us. It’s a bit on the nose to show Americans Vs British, when in current times our soldiers are fighting and dying together for an American crusade. Is that your point?
Is your point that there should be consideration and respect for modern times when during on the past for entertainment purposes? If so, I agree.
For any good and decent Brit, seeing our soldiers return in coffins, especially when their deaths have been at the hands of incompetent American soldiers is a deep cutting pain. Making games like this at this time is bound to stir up animosity towards the Americans.

heathermary
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Nationalism is not a political ideology. Communism is a political ideology. Nationalism is discrimination based on nationality, like racism is discrimination based on race. Do you even know what a political ideology is? In what way could nationalism even be a political ideology?

Nationalism is the love of one’s nation; nationalist are patriots with a political agenda. Regardless of its spelling it is not an ism! The UN as well as most other legal systems on this planet regards racial discrimination (racism) to include that of race, colour, nationality and national or ethnic origins.
You know, the Neverlands have one of the best rated education systems - perhaps you ought to make use of it darling.

TheHumanTowel
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree, the American civil war setting feels so disconnected from the previous games. Maybe they didn’t want to make the Americans jealous that these games centred on a rich European history instead of them. Let’s face it; American history didn’t get off to a good start when King George said on the day of their victory that “nothing important happened today”. The Americans have had a superiority complex ever since.
I have enjoyed the previous games, they are games that I have played over and over again, but don’t think I’ll pay money to be bored by the American civil war again.
It's the American Revolutionary War not the civil war. And again? What games have you played that have been set in this time period?

RatonhnhakeFan
06-17-2012, 10:22 PM
and all of those soldiers who are watching them being killed under the union jack are the blue coats or the rebels they have totally forced me away from this franchise that i love and im bloody angry about itWhy would they feel they just NEED to jump to American Revolution to win American audience if AssCreed series is already selling extremely well in US? If anything, they wanted to get out of European settings to appear more fresh. That's also why they're trying to make Ratonhnhaké:ton as different to Ezio/Altair as possible. They dropped any references to eagle from his name, didn't use Desmond's face to create Ratonhnhaké:ton etc. And then there's the heavily promoted winter=white frintier setting that looks much different to European locations from prrevious 4 games. It's just all about trying to appear as fresh as pssible. Ubisoft knows that the franchise was already on the verge of getting "stale" label attatched to it with Bro and Rev annual sequels being just big mods to AC2 rather than actual sequels, so that's why they will pull every trick possible to convince people that AC3 is something totally new. And I couldn't be more happy about it, the game looks like it will be even bigger step over AC2/ACB/ACR than AC2 was over AC1

medcsu
06-17-2012, 11:33 PM

Obviously you not only know nothing about American History, but history in general. This game has nothing to do with the Civil War.....

Further, don't buy it then if that is your feeling because I doubt one jealous agitator is going to change a multi million dollar companies ideas on a great idea of where to bring an already successful series. If anyone comes off as having a "superiority complex" it is the guy who makes the claims you just did. Jealousy is bliss lil lady.....looking up does that to the peons I suppose.

And just for the record. I am British but it is folly and silly to ever consider American history as anything other than grand. You can say what you will about their history and some actions (which every single country in history has endured) but they are easily the most generous country in the current world and to deny that is absurd beyond reason.

Again though, if you believe this game has to do with the American CIVIL WAR you are going to be sadly disappointed....