PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand...

infamous_ezio
06-12-2012, 10:32 AM
WOAH NOT AN AC3 THREAD!?!?!?!?
I'm currently playing through TLA again, and remembering the interview with jeffrey yohalem, i find some things very strange and well... to be honest, stupid.

Now don't get me wrong, i did like the lost archive, but i have a few problems.

First of all, in the interview with jeffrey yohalem, he said that TLA was originally suppose to be in the revelations game, hence the 7 gates, but it was the creative directors idea to have it as DLC.. Not going to lie, this was probably the dumbest turn they took in trying to tell their story. Why on earth would you remove the revelations out of a game called 'revelations'?!!?!!? I get that they probably wanted to tell desmond's story aswell, but if some of you guys remember, the audio from TLA was leaked towards the end of last year, meaning they knew where they were heading and the chances of it actually being already developed seemed pretty high. So why not add both to the game? why not have desmond's story as DLC, ahhh that's right because they knew no one would care and that everyone would be interested in 16 and that big clarification of lucy being a templar... I don't believe for a second that it wasn't for any other reason besides profits...just doesn't seem legit at all aha..

From the dialogue we hear between shaun, rebecca and will during the revelations game, we know that shaun is a bit suspicious about desmond and what happened, william doesn't seem to know what happened with lucy's betrayal ( i'm sure he would have told them ). So now no one except clay know's about her betrayal, jeff stated that TLA is played from clay's POV, so desmond has no idea what happened either. When desmond wakes up, how will desmond killing her be accounted for..

which brings me to the next point: their is a possibility for this to turn up, when clay deleted himself by hugging desmond he could have given desmond his memories, this has already been speculated by some to be a possibility. So maybe in AC3 we will have some cool scene where desmond has a sudden realization, or maybe where in for a complete shock. But tbh i feel like that the modern day side of things in revelations was just a huge mistake, include TLA, i love the story, i just don't understand why they went abouts telling clay's story the way they did and lucy's betrayal.

Just a side note, at the start of TLA the date is 10/10/2012, anyone got any reason's as to why this is the date? the date desmond fell into a coma? i recon they just forgot to remove it, it would make sense to be that date if it was desmond viewing clay's memories, but he wasn't.

SixKeys
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
First of all, in the interview with jeffrey yohalem, he said that TLA was originally suppose to be in the revelations game, hence the 7 gates, but it was the creative directors idea to have it as DLC.. Not going to lie, this was probably the dumbest turn they took in trying to tell their story. Why on earth would you remove the revelations out of a game called 'revelations'?!!?!!? I get that they probably wanted to tell desmond's story aswell, but if some of you guys remember, the audio from TLA was leaked towards the end of last year, meaning they knew where they were heading and the chances of it actually being already developed seemed pretty high. So why not add both to the game? why not have desmond's story as DLC, ahhh that's right because they knew no one would care and that everyone would be interested in 16 and that big clarification of lucy being a templar... I don't believe for a second that it wasn't for any other reason besides profits...just doesn't seem legit at all aha..

From what I remember, Jeff Yohalem said the reason they ultimately decided to go with Desmond's story instead of Clay was because of all the people complaining about how we still didn't know anything about Desmond and that he needed more character development. They were probably partway through with making TLA when they decided to change course and make Desmond's Journey part of the game instead and due to the short development time, didn't have time to finish both in time for the game's release.

I do think it ultimately serves the story better to find out more about Desmond when he's in a coma and forced to explore his own memories. Had they only gone with Clay, Desmond would still an even more distant character. He's supposed to have a much bigger part to play in AC3 so it's important that players should have some connection with him before his final chapter.

With all that said, I definitely agree it was stupid to put the game's biggest revelation into a DLC that was hardly advertised at all and released just before news about AC3 started leaking. If ACR had had more than a year's development cycle, they would have been able to include both Desmond and Clay's journeys. Now they had to choose between one or the other and went with Desmond for the sake of character development.

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
what about the cha ching ba bling?

infamous_ezio
06-13-2012, 04:56 AM
From what I remember, Jeff Yohalem said the reason they ultimately decided to go with Desmond's story instead of Clay was because of all the people complaining about how we still didn't know anything about Desmond and that he needed more character development. They were probably partway through with making TLA when they decided to change course and make Desmond's Journey part of the game instead and due to the short development time, didn't have time to finish both in time for the game's release.

I do think it ultimately serves the story better to find out more about Desmond when he's in a coma and forced to explore his own memories. Had they only gone with Clay, Desmond would still an even more distant character. He's supposed to have a much bigger part to play in AC3 so it's important that players should have some connection with him before his final chapter.

With all that said, I definitely agree it was stupid to put the game's biggest revelation into a DLC that was hardly advertised at all and released just before news about AC3 started leaking. If ACR had had more than a year's development cycle, they would have been able to include both Desmond and Clay's journeys. Now they had to choose between one or the other and went with Desmond for the sake of character development.

I don't recall jeff saying that, but i may be wrong, i'll have another listen to it when i can :). I get what you mean, it was kind of cool to get an insight into desmond's personal life, but i suppose it was necessary for new players and because we finally get to meet desmond's dad, so anything that happens between them in AC3 i guess we can account for due to desmond's life growing up.

I just don't get why they had to release the game in november, wouldn't have hurt to have it postponed a couple of months to make it perfect. But i think this is their own doing, jeff mentioned the stuff that was suppose to be in TLA like a faceless lucy haunting clay, the scene between ezio and sofia, but they just didn't have enough time, kind of sucks ahah.

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 05:36 AM
november release = ready for christmas. You can't miss that release date with an AAA game. They have obligations to the higher-ups. Regrettable, but that's how business works.

SixKeys
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
november release = ready for christmas. You can't miss that release date with an AAA game. They have obligations to the higher-ups. Regrettable, but that's how business works.

It doesn't have to. Mass Effect 3 launched in March this year and was a huge success. What makes a game successful is how good and bug-free it is. With ACR the short development time was regrettably obvious in the game's shortness and bugginess and it hurt the franchise's reputation.

ShaneO7K
06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
what about the cha ching ba bling?

Indeed.

infamous_ezio
06-14-2012, 02:28 AM
It doesn't have to. Mass Effect 3 launched in March this year and was a huge success. What makes a game successful is how good and bug-free it is. With ACR the short development time was regrettably obvious in the game's shortness and bugginess and it hurt the franchise's reputation.

Agreed, in some ways revelations was a total disaster.

naran6142
06-14-2012, 06:07 AM
thats a good point about TLA being from Clay perspective and how they will address lucy's betrayal. TBH not putting TLA in ACR was a really bad idea...

i mean having it separate is just making people pay for a important part of the story + it was first person. first person had a cool feel but they should have made a full DLC out of it...

was Alex Amanico creative director on any other main AC titles?