PDA

View Full Version : Which side are you on? (Templars vs Assassins)

HelterSeltzer
06-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I want to ask the community, which side would you join? You've played as an Assassin and as a Templar agent. However, which one would you sincerely devote your life to? Don't join the Assassin Order because of their tools and clothing. Don't join the Templars because the wealth you may get. Join the side that you feel is right. This thread is just an open and fun discussion between fans (Almost like a poll). No need to be offensive to anyone's beliefs or opinions.

Assassin ideal: Enforcing humanity's free-will at any cost

Templar ideal: Enforcing structure and order by any means necessary

rileypoole1234
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Well I don't think wanting to launch a POE into outer space to rule the world is very good, so it'd be Assassin's for me.

notafanboy
06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
iŽd enforce structure and order but not launching a !#"€#" satelite thingy into space

itsamea-mario
06-11-2012, 11:02 PM
I kinda like the templar philosophy, but being an assassin is just cooler..

HelterSeltzer
06-11-2012, 11:02 PM
xD that's funny

MT4K
06-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Neither. I'd kill them both and start my own group :P, but if i HAD to choose one of them. Then Assassins. fighting to give people freedom to control their own destiny is worth more than anything the Templars can ever offer.

dylanfrim
06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
"Give me liberty, or give me death" -Patrick Henry

Azurefeatherfly
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
The human race has been killing each other for more than 5000 years, and I doubt that it will stop without some form of determinism ideal. I would rather see the Templar ideology being enforced.

UrDeviant1
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm more of an *** man myself. but I can see where the Templar's are coming from.

FirestarLuva
06-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Assassins

agitatedchimp
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Honestly I've just thought really hard about this... and I'm definite i'd join the assassins. Not because they're just cooler but I just couldn't see why anybody would agree with the templars?!
I mean i agree with their philosophy and can except it but their ideals and actions are just so.... I don't know.... Immoral? How could anyone agree with them?
I'd rather see everyone die myself included than watch people be 'brainwashed' into being something they're not

HelterSeltzer
06-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Awesome. I'm, for one, am with the Assassins. I wouldn't mind free-will even if it will lead to chaos. But there are consequences to every action so it's not like free-will isn't always the answer for everything.

JumpInTheFire13
06-12-2012, 06:02 AM
I never thought I'd say this but when I think about it, I agree with the Templars. Free-will will lead to chaos and anarchy. However, the Templar ideology would likely end up in oppressive leaders, so I think I'm somewhere in between.

jzsnyder
06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Have you read/seen Lord of the Flies? I feel as though I should side with the Templars because disorder, even if it means total control over destiny, always ends up less favorable than order. I believe that humans work best and make more progress when united under a common leader or are grouped.

But the satellite thing? Yeah... not so much...

Jamison_J_B
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
For me the way is through knowledge and wisdom. I believe in the celebration and understanding of diversity through culture, and the ability of having personal choice and free will. I hate government control...being told what I can and can't do. I suppose I would be a assassin.

Black_Widow9
06-13-2012, 03:40 AM
If I told you... I'd have to kill you. :p

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 03:50 AM
If I told you... I'd have to kill you. :p
Hahahahahahaaa you so funny. -coughsleepercoughagent-

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Well I don't think wanting to launch a POE into outer space to rule the world is very good, so it'd be Assassin's for me.
I'm still laughing at what you posted.

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 03:53 AM
iŽd enforce structure and order but not launching a !#"€#" satelite thingy into space
I like your answer hahaha

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 05:51 AM
I probably wouldn't fit in with either of them. I don't think I'm quite as idealistic and liberal as the Assassins, but I don't think the world needs as much control as the Templars want. And I could never kill for the reasons they do. I would love to create a different organization in the universe, one which operates with total pacifism and attempts to mediate and reform both groups. They're both very gray. I don't think I could ever be that grey.

HelterSeltzer
06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
I probably wouldn't fit in with either of them. I don't think I'm quite as idealistic and liberal as the Assassins, but I don't think the world needs as much control as the Templars want. And I could never kill for the reasons they do. I would love to create a different organization in the universe, one which operates with total pacifism and attempts to mediate and reform both groups. They're both very gray. I don't think I could ever be that grey.
A very different answer. I like it.

SixKeys
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
The assassins are all about giving people freedom of choice. People can choose whether to wage war or to strive towards world peace. The Templars feel that only they know what's best for all of humanity, and that their choices are the only right ones. I don't support that idea. Even if there is always the danger that people will choose an alternative that I think would lead them down the wrong path, I wouldn't like to assume I am always right and that I definitely know what's best for someone else. They should have the freedom to choose. So, in principle I would have to side with the assassins, although they aren't perfect either. Freedom of choice also means allowing Templars free will. Sometimes in these games the assassins kill Templars just for the sake of being Templars, before they have even harmed anyone. If they were truly all about free will, they should also fight for the Templars' freedom instead of trying to completely eliminate them.

rileypoole1234
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm still laughing at what you posted.

Anything for a laugh.;)

gamertam
06-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I was thinking about this topic today for some reason. Anyways, here's my thinking; bare with me please.

What if, what if your life is already pre-determine? the movie The Truman Show really driving this ideally. So, making a choice between an Assassin's side or Templar's side, useless and pointless. They both just two different sides of the same coin. Take in AC1 you take orders from one man blindly without question. What free choice was that? there's more, i just forgotten most what i wanted to write.

Evenesque
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM

The world is painted in shades of grey. Struggle comes when those of us try to remove the grey to convince ourselves that there's white or black underneath.

ARavanna
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
The world is painted in shades of grey. Struggle comes when those of us try to remove the grey to convince ourselves that there's white or black underneath.

Brilliant, i'm stealing that for my next arguement :)

I'm a mix of Templar/Hasashin, Liberty is important, but the human race is general too stupid and small minded to survive without global control.
Its all comes down to the intentions of those who control.

Assassin_M
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
A hard choice..
harder than one might think. No matter how anyone puts it you are still killing, taking a life. I admire what the Assassins fight for, but I'm torn between making Leonardo`s decision when invited to join the brotherhood and my innate desire to actually have a role in such a noble cause.

Joining the Templars on the other hand can simply be explained in Suleiman`s words "The world is a tapestry of many colors and patterns. a just leader would celebrate this not seek to unravel it" The Templars` methods may be whats right for the human race, but I find it greatly Hypocritical that a group of humans give themselves the right to raise themselves above the rest of the Humans simply because they think they know better..

In short joining the Assassins is a HARD decision, but not joining the Templars is an easier one for me, because not only do I despise their Methods, I find them more Hypocritical than they have been portrayed..

YuurHeen
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
if assassins would have their way misery would always exists next to happiness and progress is slow because there will always be people disagreeing what progress is. Yet it is human nature to live like this. Humans are imperfect but everyone is imperfect in his own way and the differences can help us or destroy us.
if templers have their way humans would stop being humans but no more misery no more suffering and progress would be huge. we would be able to be immortal and god like in a few decades.Like a heaven on earth. Yet this one is impossible even with a apple in the sky. for one thing not everyone gets controlled by it and second the leaders would stil be imperfect and would fight for control.
Whenever people get to much power over other people it always goes wrong and therefore I choose assassins. Not because i agree with them but because I know how humans are and i just hope we dont destroy ourselfs.

LightRey
06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Isn't the OP's definition of the Assassin ideal a contradiction?

Assassin_M
06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Isn't the OP's definition of the Assassin ideal a contradiction?
Indeed..
They`re not "enforcing" Free-will..
How the hell one does that ??
more like "fighting to preserve"

HelterSeltzer
06-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Indeed..
They`re not "enforcing" Free-will..
How the hell one does that ??
more like "fighting to preserve"
I know what you mean on what I wrote. But, at least, you understood what I was trying to say. :)

Assassin_M
06-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I know what you mean on what I wrote. But, at least, you understood what I was trying to say. :)
Yeah I got your point first hand..
Just thought I`d point it out, no worries;)

xXMrGR1NCHXx
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
The Templars have good ideas, but are carrying it out wrong.

Assassins.

Jexx21
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
I agree with Calvarok. Although I would still have trained members in the organization in case we needed to act violently.

And I don't believe he meant a pacifist group, he meant non-violent. Pacifism means avoiding all conflict, which includes verbal conflict.

Augoste
06-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Templars.

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 03:52 AM
I agree with Calvarok. Although I would still have trained members in the organization in case we needed to act violently.

And I don't believe he meant a pacifist group, he meant non-violent. Pacifism means avoiding all conflict, which includes verbal conflict.
Yes, of course, I should have said non-violent.

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 05:17 AM
And quoting is what people do when they want to express their opinion in a way that can't be argued with. :P

I believe that many things should not be treated as grey. If you try too hard to see flexibility in everything you can end up fooling yourself into doing terrible things.

Evenesque
06-15-2012, 06:11 AM
And quoting is what people do when they want to express their opinion in a way that can't be argued with. :P

I believe that many things should not be treated as grey. If you try too hard to see flexibility in everything you can end up fooling yourself into doing terrible things.

I'm happy to point out that the only person you can quote saying that is me. Because that's where it came from. In direct response to your post.

Which is why I didn't credit it as a quote, or put it in quotations.

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Ah. I assumed that no-one would have a self-quote at their signature. Well, in that case it's an opinion, one that I happen to disagree with.

Evenesque
06-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Ah. I assumed that no-one would have a self-quote at their signature. Well, in that case it's an opinion, one that I happen to disagree with.

I was rather happy with it after i wrote it down, so I put it as my signature in a forum about a game that's built on moral grey areas. And I didn't write it expecting you to spontaneously agree ;)

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 06:40 AM
I know you don't. Just clarifying my response. You're free to think whatever you like.

Crucify Lucifer
06-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd say Assassins, but the choice isn't clear cut. I believe the Templars have the right idea - they strive for a peaceful world - but this should be done through the will of the people, not complete and total obedience or submission. The same can be said of the Assassins though. While I believe free will to be a priceless asset to humanity, history has proven that true peace is a near impossible goal to achieve through those good intentions alone. Not everyone sees their free will the way the Assassins do and often take it for granted. There should definitely be some force or group to shepherd society and enforce peace.

Another thing that makes this seemingly black and white choice gray is something Altair mentioned in one of the Codex in AC2. That even though Assassins have good intentions, they are doing exactly what the Templars are doing. They dispose of those who threaten free will just as Templars eliminate those who refuse obedience. But when you think about it, Templars are hypocrites in the sense that they want complete and total obedience from everyone else, yet they themselves ask for free will and choice, believing themselves to deserve such rights above everyone else.

So I'd go with Assassins, but it's not so easy to call either side good or bad. And sorry if some of it seems nonsensical or messy, I just typed what I was thinking on the fly :cool:.

De Filosoof
06-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Like Connor says in the E3 trailer:

"They talk about freedom and justice, but for who..."

and that's the whole point.
It would be a world with freedom, peace and justice for the rich elite, not for "regular' people like you and me.
We would be slaves, serving the upper class.

So i don't understand how people could choose sides with the templars because they'd be ****ed.

Ignorance i guess...

Calvarok
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Like Connor says in the E3 trailer:

"They talk about freedom and justice, but for who..."

and that's the whole point.
It would be a world with freedom, peace and justice for the rich elite, not for "regular' people like you and me.
We would be slaves, serving the upper class.

So i don't understand how people could choose sides with the templars because they'd be ****ed.

Ignorance i guess...

The Templars are very upfront about the fact that they don't think the people should be trusted with freedom. They say that they free them from their innate evil by controlling them. It's not about freedom for anyone, even the higher-ups. They give themselves freedom at the moment because they need it to carry out their plans, but they are extremely dedicated, and see themselves as caretakers. When the PoE satellite is used, they'll devote themselves to preserving that balance.

Bruno_Berg
06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm with the Templar, mostly. They're a bit too extreme, but ultimately I think their way is the stable and good one.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Assassins without a doubt

De Filosoof
06-17-2012, 10:55 PM
The Templars are very upfront about the fact that they don't think the people should be trusted with freedom. They say that they free them from their innate evil by controlling them. It's not about freedom for anyone, even the higher-ups. They give themselves freedom at the moment because they need it to carry out their plans, but they are extremely dedicated, and see themselves as caretakers. When the PoE satellite is used, they'll devote themselves to preserving that balance.

Right...

And they lived happily ever after.

De Filosoof
06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm with the Templar, mostly. They're a bit too extreme, but ultimately I think their way is the stable and good one.

So please explain, what's better about enslaving people instead of trying to spread knowledge and keeping free will?

If all the people would see the bigger picture, we would be far less confused about things that are happening in the world and we would eventually become civilized.

supermoc10
06-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I vote Assassins. Although the Templars have the right idea about peace and all, their execution is flawed and I prefer free-will to it.

Evenesque
06-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Every side has it's Samaritans and it's Dictators. Vidic and Mualim were bad apples (hehe) on both sides, and quite frankly, all the info we have about each side is coloured by someone's opinion in the universe somehow. I can't take sides based on ethos of either, but I can take sides based on the fact that I'm more familiar with the Assassins, and as a force, I identify with how they deal with threats more than the Templars. But that's a lot to do with the fact that 1) We've only ever played an assassin type character, because even though we use templars in MP, they're templar assassins, and 2) I've always been more interested in cloak and dagger kinds of gameplay and story.

If anyone's ever read Terry Brooks' Shannara series, Assassins remind me of Druids, and templars remind me of Shadowen, from the Heritage collection.

NOLA_Assassin
06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
I hold free-will in high regard and believe that there's no point in life if you live as a slave. Even if it's a comfortable, high standard existence, it's still slavery. So I'd join the Assassin's.

Deltasparkz
06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Assassins

brefcourte
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Templars, because mankind needs to be ruled!

Bruno_Berg
06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
So please explain, what's better about enslaving people instead of trying to spread knowledge and keeping free will?

If all the people would see the bigger picture, we would be far less confused about things that are happening in the world and we would eventually become civilized.

Mainly because I think most people are petty and stupid.

"If all the people would see the bigger picture" will just never happend and can't if you want to keep free will. Some people will always have bad ideas and do bad things. By enslaving and controlling people you'll have stability because people don't have many options, there is but one path to follow.

Assassin_M
06-18-2012, 01:32 PM

"If all the people would see the bigger picture" will just never happend and can't if you want to keep free will. Some people will always have bad ideas and do bad things. By enslaving and controlling people you'll have stability because people don't have many options, there is but one path to follow.
Hello, fellow Alien.
Whats the difference ? People lead by People, What makes the Templars better ? They have some insight ? Pretty Hypocritical if you ask me, and it was shown in detail how the Templars are not perfect either i.e Rodrigo Borgia..

HelterSeltzer
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Every side has it's Samaritans and it's Dictators. Vidic and Mualim were bad apples (hehe) on both sides, and quite frankly, all the info we have about each side is coloured by someone's opinion in the universe somehow. I can't take sides based on ethos of either, but I can take sides based on the fact that I'm more familiar with the Assassins, and as a force, I identify with how they deal with threats more than the Templars. But that's a lot to do with the fact that 1) We've only ever played an assassin type character, because even though we use templars in MP, they're templar assassins, and 2) I've always been more interested in cloak and dagger kinds of gameplay and story.

If anyone's ever read Terry Brooks' Shannara series, Assassins remind me of Druids, and templars remind me of Shadowen, from the Heritage collection.
No you're right. But even if you feel more for the Assassins, don't you think that William M. could be a little shady? Vidic is hands down (to put it lightly) a jerk. How the story kind of is right now, I don't know both leaders' intentions (William M. and yet to be known who is the Templar's mentor)

HelterSeltzer
06-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Templars, because mankind needs to be ruled!
nice use of color :p

HelterSeltzer
06-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I hold free-will in high regard and believe that there's no point in life if you live as a slave. Even if it's a comfortable, high standard existence, it's still slavery. So I'd join the Assassin's.
Perhaps, it may be slavery. But the Templars wouldn't use whips to control. They'd use artifacts, like the Ones Who Came Before, to control humanity. I don't think they'll treat us horribly because their intentions is stop self destruction of humanity (ex. keep us from using too many resources, etc). At least, that's how the ideal goes. The Assassins' roots are just to stop the artifact usage that is controlling humans. But, as of now, in the story I'm not sure of both sides' intentions.

masterfenix2009
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM

I believe humanity will never see the bigger picture. While I would never join the Templars, because I want my free will, their ideology would be the only ones that worked.

tsc0308
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
'Freedom' is a human concept. It's the reason we currently suck as a species. No one is able to work together as a larger funcitoning machine... we've been handed lives of effortlessness over on a plate.

Though I'm optimistic about the future, until we tear down the ****ed national barriers and stop identifying ourselves differently to each other, we're never gonna leave this rock. Shame the likelyhood of that happening is low, but social media could be the saving grace. Before we were all connected we were distant and didn't understand other cultures as well. Social media does have the potential to lead to a neo-society with the next few generations, but we'll just have to wait and see with that one.

So yeah, Templar's ideology is sound, I just don't think their approach is right. The assassins aren't willing to sacrifice anything for the greater good... again... all this 'I'm a Free man' BS. You're free by default the moment you're born: if you live in an oppressive place you can still do what you want; society will simply smack you down.

De Filosoof
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Ok i understand :). I agree, humans can be pretty stupid but i also think that's not completely their own fault. If we wouldn't been brainwashed by media, governments and nations everyone would be capable of seeing the bigger picture because many/most people are good and honest people but are often very naive and ignorant, that's how they've been raised in this system.
The elite wants us to be just smart enough to run the machines and do our work, and just dumb enough to not question them or their system.

De Filosoof
06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
'Freedom' is a human concept. It's the reason we currently suck as a species. No one is able to work together as a larger funcitoning machine... we've been handed lives of effortlessness over on a plate.

Though I'm optimistic about the future, until we tear down the ****ed national barriers and stop identifying ourselves differently to each other, we're never gonna leave this rock. Shame the likelyhood of that happening is low, but social media could be the saving grace. Before we were all connected we were distant and didn't understand other cultures as well. Social media does have the potential to lead to a neo-society with the next few generations, but we'll just have to wait and see with that one.
I completely agree with you, nationalism is a pretty big problem.

So yeah, Templar's ideology is sound, I just don't think their approach is right. The assassins aren't willing to sacrifice anything for the greater good... again... all this 'I'm a Free man' BS. You're free by default the moment you're born: if you live in an oppressive place you can still do what you want; society will simply smack you down

No, freedom is definitely possible, it just wouldn't work in this system, we have to create a new one. Capitalism and the free market aren't working anymore.

De Filosoof
06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
i highly recommend watching the documentary zeitgeist: addendum.
Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEgtI3N8m1Y

Zeitgeist: Moving forward is also a very interesting one.

You can find and watch them both on youtube.

This one is also very good and maybe better to understand for some people.
It's a funny cartoon about the monetary system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5TlbloU

For the people who liked the glyph puzzles in AC2 and ACB :D.
I hope the part at 16:30 will be included in AC3 !!

doylen
06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Assassin all the way. Templars are a symbol of oppression, Assassins the symbol of freedom.

xx-pyro
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Templars, though perhaps a shade less extreme. Control and order I believe are required, but I wouldn't launch a ball into space to mind control everyone- especially considering the media does an excellent job of that already :o

JumpInTheFire13
06-20-2012, 03:03 AM

So yeah, Templar's ideology is sound, I just don't think their approach is right. The assassins aren't willing to sacrifice anything for the greater good... again... all this 'I'm a Free man' BS. You're free by default the moment you're born: if you live in an oppressive place you can still do what you want; society will simply smack you down.

I'm not sure if I agree with what you say. The thing you said about national barriers got me thinking. I'm really torn on this topic. On one hand, you have the Assassins, fighting for free will. This would keep the national barriers, but everybody would have their own identity. My whole life, this is what I've been trying to maintain. Not on a national or global level, but personally. I live in a small town where everybody plays hockey, listens to "popular" music, and plays COD. So, as a hardcore BMX rider, metalhead, and AC fan, I'm kind of an outcast. So, in this situation, I agree with the Assassins.

However, this will almost always lead to oppression and hate. For example, the Ku Klux Klan taking (a bit too much) pride in being "white," as well as people trying to force their religions onto others. People should have their identities, but maybe keep them to themselves.

Now, on the other hand, there's the Templars. Humanity would be united under their rule, and there would be peace. Ideally, things would actually get accomplished, like cures for diseases, and clean, sustainable energy. Right now in my Grade 10 social class, we're learning about globalization and, currently, Wal-Mart. I was thinking the other day about this thread when we were talking about the pros and cons of Wal-Mart. I think the Templars would run the world similar to the way Walmart runs their corporation. Everybody thinks it's great: you save money and can buy almost anything there. However, on the inside, there's people making next-to-nothing working there. There's other people losing jobs because their job was outsourced to a place on the other side of the planet. And, there's the people who are on the other side of the world, who get paid even less. But the Templars wouldn't let the general population know any of that, because everything is "peaceful."

Essentially, I think the Assassins' job is never done. As long as there's free will, somebody will try to use that freedom to control and oppress other people. It could also be said that the Templars' job is also never done because, as long as somebody is controlling humanity, there will be at least one rebel.

Calvarok
06-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Technically if the Templars achieved total control with the PoE, everyone would have a perfect life. There would be no money, no food shortages, nothing like that. And the most intriguing point for me is that the PoEs control ALL humans. Not just non-templars. So if they hook it up to a machine and use it on the world... they'll be enslaved as well. So all will be equal and peaceful forever.

Jexx21
06-20-2012, 04:15 AM
What the Assassin's fight for ultimately would keep them in business forever. Someone is always going to be corrupt enough to want to take away the free will of someone.

But by fighting to keep free will, they are smashing down those who wish to take away free will away from another, and through that, they are also fighting against free will.

Ironically, the Assassin Order is contradictory, and the Templar Order is not.

LightRey
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
What the Assassin's fight for ultimately would keep them in business forever. Someone is always going to be corrupt enough to want to take away the free will of someone.

But by fighting to keep free will, they are smashing down those who wish to take away free will away from another, and through that, they are also fighting against free will.

Ironically, the Assassin Order is contradictory, and the Templar Order is not.
It's seemingly contradictory. It's ironic. There's a difference. Doing something to stop the very thing you're doing is not contradictory. In fact it's just a negative feedback loop.