PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from the rope dart?

Sushiglutton
06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
The rope dart belongs to a family of vidoe game gadgets/tools/weapons that def is one of my favourites. Other famous ones are the Hookshot, the Blades of Chaos, the Batclaw, the awesome grappling hook in Just Cause 2 and so on. Basically it's a rope/chain that you can attach to different objects with various results. Typically you can do stuff like pulling enemies/objects towards u, pulling urself towards enemies/objects, attaching eneimes to walls, pulling weapons out of their hands etc. It can be used for puzzles, platforming and combat. It's physics based gameplay that is a lot of fun.

The rope dart seems to be more like a weapon than a tool. What we have seen is the mega cool tree-takedown where you use the enemy as a counterweight. I still hope that it will have many more uses. What do you want/expect from the rope dart (any rumors? )? Personally I hope you can use it some in platforming, by either climbing or swinging to hard to reach platforms etc. I also hope there are many ways to manipulate enemies with it. Like pulling them towards you to take cover from gunshots, or pulling them off ledges and so on.

Well I'm just babbling, what do you want :o?

HelterSeltzer
06-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Scorpion's roped kunai... GET OVER HERE! Enough said:p

obliviondoll
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I want the ability to (as you mentioned) use it to pull someone in as a human shield.

With how Connor uses it in the tree takedown, I want the ability to use it as a tool for safe climbing DOWN from trees and ledges. Kind of like how you have a soft landing at ground level after the tree takedown, but with no enemies involved. Basically, it should let you climb down from ledges/trees that would normally be too high for you to survive.

LoveTwisted
06-11-2012, 08:58 PM
It would be cool to be able to tie it to and arrow and shoot it from your bow, giving you a sort of rope swing to cross larger gaps

loomer979
06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
This was actually one of the first community questions I ended up asking Alex. The rope dart isn't used for any sort of navigation although they did prototype it early on. At the end of the day though it was just a little too fantastical for the game. Stay tuned for the full interview, I think it's a really good one :).

Sukramo
06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
The standard English Ropedart has two parts you see, the rope and the dart.

notafanboy
06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
This was actually one of the first community questions I ended up asking Alex. The rope dart isn't used for any sort of navigation although they did prototype it early on. At the end of the day though it was just a little too fantastical for the game. Stay tuned for the full interview, I think it's a really good one :).
im waiting for the one with Corey may !,we havenīt heard much from him. ARGHHH !.

naran6142
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
i personally hope it is not used for platforming, and that you can do more with it than just hang guys from trees(which im sure there will be)

rileypoole1234
06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I also hope we can kill guys with it, but I hope we don't have to hang them from a tree or reel them in all the time. It'd be cool to use from a distance instead of a throwing knife.

Aphex_Tim
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I want Connor to shout "GET OVER HERE!" when he uses it on an enemy.

An elegant design.

Azula2005
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I actually don't want it, too fake!

MT4K
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
I actually don't want it, too fake!

It's a real weapon. Originated from China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

Sushiglutton
06-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Any hint of when this will air (is it a podcast, vid, or written interview?). Yeah some things would def look out of character.

Evenesque
06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I just want the rope to leave Connor's hand realistically. Atm, it's kind of wonky.

loomer979
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Any hint of when this will air (is it a podcast, vid, or written interview?). Yeah some things would def look out of character.

It's a video interview and it'll go up on my YouTube channel sometime next week (maybe around the 20th or 21st?). I also have my interview with Corey May which I'm hoping to put up on Sunday I think. I'll make a post in these forums when they're online.

EscoBlades
06-11-2012, 11:03 PM
When we had the press preview back in March, we saw the early concept footage from 2010. The original concept for the weapon was the ChainBlade. Trust me, that weapon looked like Connor had borrowed it from Scorpion (or MK fame). It was too fantasy based. Hence why they opted for somehing more realistic. The Rope Dart in AC III is a lot closer to the old Chinese weapon than the original concept was. I like it and can't wait to use it in game.

UrDeviant1
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
The Rope Dart looks really cool. I wonder If we'll be able to use It on animals? I'd love to string a bear up In a tree.

FirestarLuva
06-11-2012, 11:49 PM
I hope there will be multiple choices with the rope dart, not just hanging people on trees.

Lass4r
06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I want Connor to shout "GET OVER HERE!" when he uses it on an enemy.

An elegant design.

My brothers in the village will like this.

MT4K
06-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I hope there will be multiple choices with the rope dart, not just hanging people on trees.

Well i remember seeing a video of the Boston demo being played by the public during a hands on or whatever and they used the rope dart during combat.

Azula2005
06-12-2012, 01:21 AM
It's a real weapon. Originated from China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

No i'm not saying the weapon is fake, what i meant was how he conceals it, and how he throws it is similar to a projectile like fashion, it looks like he shoots it out. Also the hud indicated he was carrying three, how does he manage to fit like 20 foot of rope in hes satchel?

could someone explain? Or do you guys also agree with meh?

Azurefeatherfly
06-12-2012, 01:46 AM
No i'm not saying the weapon is fake, what i meant was how he conceals it, and how he throws it is similar to a projectile like fashion, it looks like he shoots it out. Also the hud indicated he was carrying three, how does he manage to fit like 20 foot of rope in hes satchel?

I think Altair was the most realistic in terms of how much you could carry, it was humanly possible for Altair to carry all his stuff.

By the end of AC2, Ezio had a small armoury in his pants with poison, smoke bombs, knives and bullets along with his armour and all the other weapons.

This is a weapon people are going enjoy using, I think it would really annoy players if they had to go buy them constantly.

naran6142
06-12-2012, 01:49 AM
wait does that mean we will have to buy rope darts? cuz that would be kinda lame...

MT4K
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM

ahh sorry for misunderstanding your original thought haha. I agree it does look a little weird currently the way he uses it, but it might just be for gameplay purposes or because mocapping somebody swinging the thing around properly might have been a little difficult (although would have been awesome) and this was the best way they could think of to use it...

It could also just be a case of them wanting anything "ranged" to have some kind of limit on it to give more priority to close combat fighting.

Edit: although i can understand the limit on it in some respect since if you just used it to hang somebody from a tree. you no longer technically have it. so carrying around more than 1 would be useful in that regard. but if when using it during combat it still depletes it could be a little annoying.

Azurefeatherfly
06-12-2012, 01:54 AM
wait does that mean we will have to buy rope darts? cuz that would be kinda lame...

Even if Connor were to make them himself, there has to be some kind of cost. If he can't there has to be a supplier since this a foreign weapon.

For those who are curious, a metal chain version of the Rope Dart does exist in real life.

This is probably the closest thing to what Scorpion has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss

ProletariatPleb
06-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Scorpion's roped kunai... GET OVER HERE! Enough saidhttp://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/tongue.png
I think I did see that somewhere.

Found it!

Start from 5:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n07QuxpFUlc#t=29 9s

obliviondoll
06-12-2012, 02:46 AM
I think Altair was the most realistic in terms of how much you could carry, it was humanly possible for Altair to carry all his stuff.

By the end of AC2, Ezio had a small armoury in his pants with poison, smoke bombs, knives and bullets along with his armour and all the other weapons.

This is a weapon people are going enjoy using, I think it would really annoy players if they had to go buy them constantly.

It was also realistic that a guy wearing padded under-armour with chainmail covering it, a hooded robe and some leather armour over that would be unable to swim, but they abandoned that slice of realism too.

I still wish that AC2 had restricted certain of your abilities based on the armour you wear and the weapons you carry. Want to swim? Don't bring an entire army's worth of provisions to weigh yourself down with. Want to go head-on against a large army, instead of the small ones you can normally handle? Deal with being slowed down a little.

Also, I don't think you're going to "lose" a Rope Dart unless you're using it to string someone up. If you can use it at ground level for MK-style "get over here!" attacks, then you should be fine to keep hold of that one, since you're not leaving it stuck in the guy.

I hope you can use it to pull people off ledges like you could with the Batclaw in the Arkham games. Not the most stealthy kill, but it would be fun.

naran6142
06-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Even if Connor were to make them himself, there has to be some kind of cost. If he can't there has to be a supplier since this a foreign weapon.

For those who are curious, a metal chain version of the Rope Dart does exist in real life.

This is probably the closest thing to what Scorpion has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss

i just didnt imagine it as a weapon wed have to refill

HelterSeltzer
06-12-2012, 03:47 AM
I think I did see that somewhere.

Found it!

Start from 5:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n07QuxpFUlc#t=29 9s
Thank you for showing me this LOL never thought Scorpion's spirit is in this game :D

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:30 AM
I never understood why people do exactly the same thing in demos as the demo already shown them.

Calvarok
06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Well obviously you have to refill it. you leave the guy dangling on the rope.

As to how he carries multiples, if the rope is thin and strong, which it looks like it is, it would be easy to coil up quite a few and stick them in a pouch. They said something about limiting ranged ammo to encourage players to get up close, in an interview. dunno if that applies to the rope dart.

Calvarok
06-12-2012, 05:52 AM
I never understood why people do exactly the same thing in demos as the demo already shown them.
People didn't get to play the demo thorough themselves. the developers played through, going the same path every time. they're only showing what they want to show, at the moment.

Moultonborough
06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
In both the Nintendo and Frontier demo when he uses the Dart the number of them decreases. So, you either have to buy them or get them at your hideout.

rosscunnew
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
it would be cool if you could use it as a zip line if you could attach it to an arrow and fire it a long distance would be great for over head take downs when they are not under a ledge and want to take a silent kill

itsamea-mario
06-12-2012, 12:09 PM
it would be cool if you could use it as a zip line if you could attach it to an arrow and fire it a long distance would be great for over head take downs when they are not under a ledge and want to take a silent kill

shame it wouldn't work.

I'm not entirely sure how the rope dart works in the game, ubisoft seem to be taking some liberties with physics. I mean from what it looks like he just throws the dart into a guy and somehow the dart stays in the guy despite having the combined force of connors weight, the soldiers weight and the force from the actual acceleration. he could be wrapping it around the guys neck however.
Then he sticks the other end into the ground, that other end would have to be pretty long and serrated in order to keep the guy suspended especially if it is stuck in soft ground.

But it's a game, so i don't care.

Evenesque
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM

It would, but they've told us already that there's no Hookblade, so the chances of ziplines go waaaaay down.

GeneralTrumbo
06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Did you guys ask any questions about Desmond?

jamsizzle
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
the rope dart seems cool. i can agree with most of yall with the things you can do with it. i hope he doesnt use it while he's in a city and jam the other end of the rope into the pavement because that would seem kinda lame. i mean how many of us is that strong to jam a kunai blade or whatever the end of it is into the pavement lol.
i also wana see if its possible to catch a bear or a deer with it. a bear hanging from a tree would seem funny as hell lmao

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 12:27 AM
the rope dart seems cool. i can agree with most of yall with the things you can do with it. i hope he doesnt use it while he's in a city and jam the other end of the rope into the pavement because that would seem kinda lame. i mean how many of us is that strong to jam a kunai blade or whatever the end of it is into the pavement lol.
i also wana see if its possible to catch a bear or a deer with it. a bear hanging from a tree would seem funny as hell lmao
To be fair it wouldn't be pavement, would it? It's the American colonies. They'd have cobblestone or even just dirt.

Assassin_M
06-13-2012, 12:32 AM
What do I want from the rope dart ?? Hmm..
WHAT THE HELL WOULD I WANT FROM A ROPE DART !! Everything I have seen till now..

obliviondoll
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
i mean how many of us is that strong to jam a kunai blade or whatever the end of it is into the pavement

How many of us are fit enough to climb up any of the towers in the game while wearing full armour?

How many of us can stay afloat while carrying a sword, a dagger, a small army's worth of throwing knives, smoke bombs, a crossbow, and with metal strapped to both wrists in addition to the aforementioned armour?

How many of us can recover from a sword wound instantly by drinking medicine?

And for the record, if you aim for a crack in the pavement, a knife can be wedged into place pretty easily. Not to mention that, as Calvarok said, there probably wasn't any concreting. Even if there was, though, modern pavement using current construction techniques still cracks relatively fast, so if they DID pave something, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a crack in it. More to the point, how often to you see trees in paved areas of the city?

Wow that's a lot of counter-arguments for a single point... sorry about that...

Calvarok
06-13-2012, 06:02 AM
I thought of the fact that trees wouldn't be over pavement, but I realized that the rope dart move could be used on any overhanging strut of building feature that functions like a branch.

Just checked the boston video. Looks like cobblestone, which would probably be pretty easy to pierce or find a crack in.

EzioAssassin51
06-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I've already been arguing about not caring about the unrealistic approach to parts of the game. It's been the same with Ezio's weapons (havings tons of ammo and seeing none) and I haven't cared about that. If anything, it makes me kinda laugh, but I don't really care, I like the Rope Dart the way it is, it's cool and seems fun as! :)

loomer979
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Did you guys ask any questions about Desmond?

I asked both Corey and Alex some Desmond questions but they were very tight lipped about it. I'm actually starting to get the impression that we might not hear anything at all about Desmond before the game comes out (just my speculation).

Locopells
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I want the ability to (as you mentioned) use it to pull someone in as a human shield.

They confirmed that in one of the Pre-Alpha press demos. Have a look around.

Epsilonyx
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
The difference between this and the other countless unrealistic qualities of AC is the animation. The animation of ACIII is constantly being credited as amazing and next-gen, so things like this are kind of a dropped ball. No-one has ever thrown a projectile like Connor using the rope-dart. It lands in the Redcoat's foot and somehow slides up in to his neck, and once Connor has hoisted him up, the end of the rope is magically secured to the ground. I imagined it as a modification of the poison dart from previous games, fired from the wrist.
I tend to play AC full-sync, maximum realism, maximum canon, so if they don't alter this new weapon, I might not be using it out of open-combat.

MT4K
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
@ blackanguish - i'm sure the rope dart animations and such will be tweaked before release. Ubisoft like their ac games to look pretty :P.

Epsilonyx
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
@ blackanguish - i'm sure the rope dart animations and such will be tweaked before release. Ubisoft like their ac games to look pretty :P.

Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath. They never fixed up the hidden gun or throwing knives animations, so I doubt they will with this.

obliviondoll
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
They confirmed that in one of the Pre-Alpha press demos. Have a look around.

When did I say I wanted something new, unexpected or not already confirmed?

I'm just saying that's the core use I want to be able to get out of it, which is a relevant answer to the question being asked.