PDA

View Full Version : How come Eagle Vision never works? Contains some spoilers, minor to major.

Vairn
06-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Basically what I named the the thread. Every time someone changes allegiances in this game, it feels like it could've been avoided if Ezio just checked people with Eagle Vision, or Eagle Vision is just wrong all the time. I'm not saying the face heel turn of a certain character revealed in AC: Revelations DLC was bad writing or not, but I am saying that it keeps happening repeatedly is all I'm pointing out.

EscoBlades
06-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Eagle Vision is not, and never was introduced as fool proof.

I'm sure fellow forum members will explain in more detail shortly.

MT4K
06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
think of it more as seeing somebody's intent towards you. If you known somebody as a friend and have always known them that way. you would have no reason to expect any kind of hostile intent from them.

Vairn
06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I know, but how come it never works when the series wants to do a big reveal? Al Mualim, Tarik, Maria as a false target, Ezio didn't even try to scan Ahmet, and Lucy was able to avoid it for three games.

To MT4k, he only just met some of them instead. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a Sixth Sense if it only highlights what you already know?

MT4K
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Regarding Maria. He thought it was somebody else. So expecting an enemy naturally means expecting hostile intent from them.

Lucy. He has always known her as an ally. he never had any reason to suspect her having any kind of hostile intent towards him. So naturally would always see her as a friend. I mean if somebody had unlocked doors for you to roam about. gave you the chance to read your captors e-mails. even helped you escape and spent lots of time on the run with you. Would you expect anything other than an ally?

Tarik. He was under the impression he was bad. and naturally when you believe somebody is nasty. you naturally expect hostile reactions from them.

Ahmet. He had really no reason to worry about ahmet. even if he scanned him it would likely have just shown him as neutral anyway because as far as ezio knew him. he had no hostile intentions towards him.

Al mualim. He spent a lot of his early years with him as a father figure really. I don't think there's many people who would expect hostile intentions from somebody they have spent so much time looking up to.

To MT4k, he only just met some of them instead. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a Sixth Sense if it only highlights what you already know?

Not really. It still helps you to identify primary targets and things and judge the intent of the crowd around you. Imagine walking through a crowded street. How often do you walk through a crowd and expect any kind of hostile intend from those around you? Not very often i'm sure... but in the world of ac. you have guards and all sorts to keep a look out for. and in revelations even stalkers.

SO now imagine in reality if you knew there was people around who was looking to hurt you, but you didn't know who they was. Eagle vision basically judges from body language and somebody's demeanor and things like that in an easy to understand way for the players.. The same way you can train yourself to tell when somebody is lying through body language and small actions they perform. You could learn to judge somebody's intention towards you.

Imagine looking around and seeing somebody always looking away from you everytime you look at them. It's enough to make you suspicious of them. Especially if you change location and see them again. Might not seem like much, but it's enough to prejudge them as potentially with unfriendly intent. Could be a mugger or something.

Vairn
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
When a target is the correct target, they shine a brilliant golden hue, not the common red of an enemy like Maria surely wasn't.

Desmond just met Lucy and he was apprehensive of her. He trusted her enough to leave with her, but to dilute his very senses seems overdone. That reasoning works well enough with Altair to Al Mualim because their relationship was so strengthened through the years that he could basically lie to himself.

Concerning Tarik, I can kind of get that a little bit since he always had a bad relationship with the guy, but even then, Altair didn't see Abbas's aura with Eagle Vision change even though his allegiance to him was clear and straightforward.

For Ahmet, Ezio's job-rather his life is to be wary of everyone, and they've been able to get a recognizable color on people they've known in even shorter periods of time of the series.

I thought the more the ability evolved, the more it would clarify, but it's the same thing, repeatedly. Can't wait to see Connor use it though.

MT4K
06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
You should expect a few inconsistencies though for the sake of story. Wouldn't be as much of an impact if you could tell from the beginning that lucy was bad :P/

I do look forward to seeing Connor's as well. I am curious on how it wil have evolved from revelations. Seeing the guard's patrol paths and in some missions what had happened in the area was awesome (similar to how people can tell what went on judging by footprints and disturbances in the area) I wonder what new effects it will have :D

pacmanate
06-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I think eagle vision is influenced by your mind. For example you see Al mualim as blue because Altair gained a trust all of those years. You saw Lucy as blue because once again there was trust.

obliviondoll
06-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Basically, Eagle Vision was described best in the first game's manual.

It's a visual representation of an innate talent for reading people. Even someone who's good at that can sometimes be wrong.

Also, the first game has a nice example where one of the guards just outside Masyaf is red in Eagle Vision, while the rest are blue.

And ###SPOILER ALERT###

There's the fact that, even when he supposedly looks to be an enemy, La Volpe still shows up as an ally in Eagle Vision in ACB, supporting the theory that the ability works more often than it fails.

###SPOILER END###

Of course, this explains Lucy as well, because quite simply, Desmond hasn't honed this natural talent throughout his life the way his ancestors did, and is still learning it while also learning to trust Lucy.

itsamea-mario
06-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Also, all the people it's failed on have been acting, they must be good at acting.

SixKeys
06-11-2012, 08:29 PM
And ###SPOILER ALERT###

There's the fact that, even when he supposedly looks to be an enemy, La Volpe still shows up as an ally in Eagle Vision in ACB, supporting the theory that the ability works more often than it fails.

Wait, when was La Volpe ever supposedly an enemy? Are you sure you're not talking about Machiavelli?

obliviondoll
06-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Wait, when was La Volpe ever supposedly an enemy? Are you sure you're not talking about Machiavelli?

Both of them suspected one another, and it would have been easy to suspect either one.

Moultonborough
06-11-2012, 08:39 PM

I think he meant Machiavelli as well. Also if you look at Al muliam at the end he does show up as red/gold(target).

SixKeys
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Both of them suspected one another, and it would have been easy to suspect either one.

Machiavelli didn't suspect La Volpe of anything. Volpe simply cut off all contact with the assassins seemingly for no reason which confused Machiavelli, but he never said he suspected Volpe was a traitor. Machiavelli didn't even really care about getting the thieves back on their side, it was all Ezio's idea.

Sushiglutton
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
It's a gameplay device. All explanations are just afterthoughts.

EscoBlades
06-11-2012, 10:56 PM
It is more of a representation of your own heightened perceptions... it's not a full clarivoyant sense. So if you believe someone loves you, and they are really good at faking it, then you'll be fooled.

That's how Eagle Vision works.

Medo3G
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Basically, Eagle Vision was described best in the first game's manual.

It's a visual representation of an innate talent for reading people. Even someone who's good at that can sometimes be wrong.

Also, the first game has a nice example where one of the guards just outside Masyaf is red in Eagle Vision, while the rest are blue.

That was the dude who opened the gate for Robere
He was supposed to be assassinated in the first block but the mission was scrapped and the devs forgot about him
Or maybe Ubi is lying like they did with the trail in the villa in ACB and it's revealed that abstergo replaced the indication between the guard and Lucy to hide her intentions :rolleyes:

Vairn
06-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I never ger to come here often, but thanks for answering the question. It doesn't make much sense to me still. It's like having a device that makes your life much more easier, but choosing not to use it. Oh well, I'll take it as a Hand Wave like some other stuff on the series.

Thanks again!