PDA

View Full Version : Is AC worth playing without the HUD?

KrYpToNiC95
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I have always wondered what the game would be like with no HUD. I tried it in Brotherhood and I didn't like it but now that I see AC3 it seems like it could be fun. Does anyone else on here play it because I'd like to know how they find it. The thing that interests me the most would be in the Frontier with no HUD, it would give a sense of adventure and accomplishment when you do find something but it could also be difficult finding objectives in such a big space. I can't help but think how hard it would be to find viewpoints in the previous games without the HUD. You could obviously look for the eagles but it seems like it would make the gameplay drag on for a bit too long. Overall though, do you people think that It would be worth trying AC3 without the HUD on first playthrough?

ProletariatPleb
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
First Playthrough? Hell No. After that is your wish, but I wouldn't advise for First Playthrough.

imonthenet
06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
On all the past AC games (excluding Assassin's Creed) I've always done my second play through without the HUD. I wouldn't dream of it on first play through, because like you said it would take way too long and eventually frustrate me. It has worked for me on a second play through because of a few things:
1 - My own understanding of the games general storyline and map
2 - On a second play through I tend to take in more information than on the first (e.g I actually listen when someone says "I'll meet you at this building" so I know that is where I'm going)
3 - Because I already know the games plot the urge to move along the story is less, therefore I have the patience to 'cruise' until I stumble upon a mission start

Personally I find it enjoyable playing with the HUD off, it means the screen is clear, adds a layer of realism and forces me to use things such as Eagle Vision/Sense often.

However I've always wondered what it would be like to do a first playthrough without the HUD, because it would add length and a learning curve I haven't seen since ACII. If you do attempt it please tell us how it goes

SixKeys
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
AC1? Absolutely. The others? Probably not. AC1 was all about exploration and atmosphere, having the HUD off really helps the immersion. When you do stumble upon an investigation mission, it feels like an achievement, like you just stumbled upon this important clue on your own. The other games are far more reliant on side quests and don't have the same immersive atmosphere, so navigating them without the mini-map looking for missions feels more annoying.

notafanboy
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
i always play without HUD on my second play through. What does it stand for anyway ?

EscoBlades
06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
HUD = Heads Up Display.

obliviondoll
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Never on first playthrough, and so far the first game has been the one where this is the most fun for me.

naran6142
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
ive never actually played without the hud, only without the health bar... i think ill give it a go soon

Captain Tomatoz
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I tried AC1 without the HUD and I kept getting lost :D. I kept having to check the map to see if I wasn't on the other side of the city to where I was supposed to be.

SolidSage
06-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Oh yeah, playing without the HUD is great in Creed. There are so many audible cues in the game that it really plays well without it. And then the atmosphere gets dialed up a notch or two. Makes it nicer for viewers too.

I kinda need the mini map tho.:rolleyes: