PDA

View Full Version : Watch Dogs - The True sequel to Assassin's Creed 1 ?

yly3
06-09-2012, 10:10 AM
You know exactly what I mean.

Discuss. Personally as a huge AC fanboy, got more excited by WD, especially because it looks like a real AC. Even with guns and cars

pacmanate
06-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't get it? Explain? I thought Watch Dogs was actually an old IP that strayed too far away so they made it a new one. Can't remember what it was though.

POP1Fan
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't get it? Explain? I thought Watch Dogs was actually an old IP that strayed too far away so they made it a new one. Can't remember what it was though.

He means a true social stealth game.

TheHumanTowel
06-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Watch Dogs looks nothing like AC 1. Neither game play or style.

PhiIs1618033
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Typical. Watch Dogs is really about social stealth, not giving yourself away. Which is what AC1 was all about.

It's not the style or the time or the freerunning or the combat. It's the social stealth mechanic. Watch_dogs builds upon the style of AC1 in that manner. No silly unconvinding blending, just straight up not attracting any attention.

It does not look like AC1. But it has the most important component of AC1. And that's why you could call it a 'true sequel'. Though I have good hopes for AC3; the crowd blending looks really natural.

yly3
06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for filling it for me Phill. Also the graphical interface looks so organic a la AC1, while AC2 and on looks like "just a cool" graphic design.
I was already blown away with how steady and immersive everything looks. Instant-AC1 feel. By not constantly running, you have more time to fully appreciate and study your environment.
It's all in the little details.

As the guy walked in the club, did you hear how people intantly reacted and started talking about him ?
The traffic lightning part was so cool.

And I know it is not relevant, but WD already got almost 4mil views while AC3 has only 1.5.
I think it's a first for an E3 when everytime AC was the standout game, excluding of course things like CoD or Battlefield

LightRey
06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
He means a true social stealth game.
I could hardly call it a "true social stealth game". It would have been if the player actually made use of it in the game, but here it's more an aspect of the character. There's no blending or anything, in fact, the guy actually looks kinda suspicious with his high collar coat and cap. There is social stealth in the style of the main character, though only a little, but not really in the gameplay itself, much unlike in AC where it's a primary gameplay element.

Assassin_M
06-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Really ? yeah Assassins Creed..
he piled up a dozen cars just to get his target, a massive gunfight ensued and then a helicopter chase..
True Assassins Creed I sequel indeed:p

LightRey
06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
he piled up a dozen cars just to get his target, a massive gunfight ensued and then a helicopter chase..
Amen.

itsamea-mario
06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I could hardly call it a "true social stealth game". It would have been if the player actually made use of it in the game, but here it's more an aspect of the character. There's no blending or anything, in fact, the guy actually looks kinda suspicious with his high collar coat and cap. There is social stealth in the style of the main character, though only a little, but not really in the gameplay itself, much unlike in AC where it's a primary gameplay element.

Do you think blending actually works IRL?

I mean, if there's a giant crowd and nobody is looking for you actively, maybe. But if you just go and stand in the middle of a group of people, they're more likely to ask you what the F you're doing and you'll just look even more conspicuous.
Or maybe that's not what you meant, i don't know, nor really care.

Also M, that is how most of the AC games so far have operated, sneak up to your target, Kill them (In AC2 this was often through a fight) then run the hell away whilst being chased by the entire city.

Assassin_M
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM

I mean, if there's a giant crowd and nobody is looking for you actively, maybe. But if you just go and stand in the middle of a group of people, they're more likely to ask you what the F you're doing and you'll just look even more conspicuous.

Also M, that is how most of the AC games so far have operated, sneak up to your target, Kill them (In AC2 this was often through a fight) then run the hell away whilst being chased by the entire city.
Assassins Creed I did not work like that..
True the others have, but not AC I that the OP thinks may be the true base for Watch_Dogs..
In AC I you had to kill the target SILENTLY. The Commotion only begins AFTER the target is dead..
Not to mention him not using a silencer..

itsamea-mario
06-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Assassins Creed I did not work like that..
True the others have, but not AC I that the OP thinks may be the true base for Watch_Dogs..
In AC I you had to kill the target SILENTLY. The Commotion only begins AFTER the target is dead..
Not to mention him not using a silencer..

True about the AC thing, that's why i specified AC2.
But let's not judge watch dogs just yet, didn't you hear him, he said the guy was going to deliver a message, then shot him. that means that he was trying to make a point, so it needed to be big and loud. And a silenced weapon is much harder to conceal.
But still, we have to wait until we see more watch dogs gameplay.

Assassin_M
06-09-2012, 02:13 PM
True about the AC thing, that's why i specified AC2.
But let's not judge watch dogs just yet, didn't you hear him, he said the guy was going to deliver a message, then shot him. that means that he was trying to make a point, so it needed to be big and loud. And a silenced weapon is much harder to conceal.
But still, we have to wait until we see more watch dogs gameplay.
Fair enough..

LightRey
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Well, the funny thing about psychology is that people in public, even if they do notice something, are very reluctant to actually take any action, so unless someone like a security guard, whose job it is to actually do something and who has some sort of protocol for taking action at times like that, it will go unnoticed or at least unhindered by the crowd.

itsamea-mario
06-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, the funny thing about psychology is that people in public, even if they do notice something, are very reluctant to actually take any action, so unless someone like a security guard, whose job it is to actually do something and who has some sort of protocol for taking action at times like that, it will go unnoticed or at least unhindered by the crowd.

Yeah, but if someone is actually looking for you, then standing in a group if people isn't going to help, unless you're hiding behind a fat person.

In AC2, ezio just goes and stands in a group of people who are talking, and they don't seem to mind, i think i might try that.

LightRey
06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but if someone is actually looking for you, then standing in a group if people isn't going to help, unless you're hiding behind a fat person.

In AC2, ezio just goes and stands in a group of people who are talking, and they don't seem to mind, i think i might try that.
Well it will help if you're acting in a way they're not expecting/trained to notice. Even if you are wearing outlandish clothing, if you're just standing there, acting like you're a regular guy, it already becomes much much harder for them to notice you, even if they are actively looking for you. It's like dropping an action figure in a box filled with legos. Sure, it doesn't look at all the same like the legos, but it's still plastic and the entire thing is filled with objects of all kinds of colors. If the most distinctive features of something are its shape (i.e. not colors or size) it becomes very hard to find it.

The point is, usually the guards will not be looking for someone just standing there. They'll be looking for someone who's running away, because that's what he was doing just the moment before and it's what they expect him to be doing. Humans are good at spotting action, so if that's taken away it already becomes a lot harder.

itsamea-mario
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Well it will help if you're acting in a way they're not expecting/trained to notice. Even if you are wearing outlandish clothing, if you're just standing there, acting like you're a regular guy, it already becomes much much harder for them to notice you, even if they are actively looking for you. It's like dropping an action figure in a box filled with legos. Sure, it doesn't look at all the same like the legos, but it's still plastic and the entire thing is filled with objects of all kinds of colors. If the most distinctive features of something are its shape (i.e. not colors or size) it becomes very hard to find it.

Yeah, i'm not saying you can't blend. but you can't stand in the middle of a group of friends and expect to become practically invisible. If you just stand at a cash machine or buy something from a stall, basically look busy, then you're much more likely to be ignored.
Or just take your coat off and stand there.

pacmanate
06-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Oh. Well no this is nothing like AC. He isn't stealthy. He cause a pile up. You use technology to cause random crap to happen. It is not AC at all. Plus he can't climb buildings, has no hidden blade, cannot blend, and has a gun.

LightRey
06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, i'm not saying you can't blend. but you can't stand in the middle of a group of friends and expect to become practically invisible. If you just stand at a cash machine or buy something from a stall, basically look busy, then you're much more likely to be ignored.
Or just take your coat off and stand there.

Yup. That's why I'm always reluctant to call AC's stealth unrealistic. At this point there are many valid arguments to think of that support the idea that it's actually quite realistic, but proper research should be done to actually make a solid conclusion on it. However, I'm one for giving games the benefit of the doubt if valid arguments can be thought of to defend it.

Oh. Well no this is nothing like AC. He isn't stealthy. He cause a pile up. You use technology to cause random crap to happen. It is not AC at all. Plus he can't climb buildings, has no hidden blade, cannot blend, and has a gun.

Precisely. There are similar elements, such as the free roaming aspect and the minor social stealth elements, but other than that I see no real comparison. I wasn't even thinking of AC when I watched it, they're just 2 different games.

itsamea-mario
06-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Yup. That's why I'm always reluctant to call AC's stealth unrealistic. At this point there are many valid arguments to think of that support the idea that it's actually quite realistic, but proper research should be done to actually make a solid conclusion on it. However, I'm one for giving games the benefit of the doubt if valid arguments can be thought of to defend it.

Precisely. There are similar elements, such as the free roaming aspect and the minor social stealth elements, but other than that I see no real comparison. I wasn't even thinking of AC when I watched it, they're just 2 different games.

I mean the stealth in AC is good, it works, and it's plausible.
personally I find AC1's stealth to be more realistic, so you should be able to blend into large crowds.
I think Hitman Absolution will do the social stealth thing quite well, since you can preform disguise sensitive actions to help you blend, For example, in a demo they released last year, he's dressed as a cop so he goes and eats some doughnuts to solidify his disguise.
I'm really getting off topic.

Obviously Watch Dogs isn't really like AC, but it does seem to have a fairly realistic social stealth function, but we've not seen enough to really make any judgments.

rileypoole1234
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I think we can safely say that Watch Dogs has nothing to with, or has very little in common with AC.

obliviondoll
06-09-2012, 04:40 PM
I think "More Syndicate than Syndicate was" is a more accurate description than "like Assassin's Creed" ever could be.

MetalCreed
06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I think you're right, it could be AC1's spiritual successor.
The start that AC1 deserved, but didn't.

I think Ubisoft has got it right this time. I really believe Watch Dogs will be an amazing new IP by Ubisoft, can't wait for more details.

rileypoole1234
06-09-2012, 07:31 PM
II think Ubisoft has got it right this time. I really believe Watch Dogs will be an amazing new IP by Ubisoft, can't wait for more details.

I agree. I want to see the actual free roaming though. I wonder if there's a lot to do, or if it'll be like LA Noire or Mafia 2. I'm also actually really excited about the location. After watching Ferris Beuller's day off I've always wanted to go to Chicago.

dxsxhxcx
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I hope we are able to avoid the gun fights and kill some of our targets silently, this would be cool... :)

Calvarok
06-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Ac1's sucessor because the melee combat is insta-knockout and you get slow-mo shooting and giant explosions? It's a nice new IP, but it's a lot more "intelligent grand theft auto" than AC1. AC2 and the rest are what I consider to be truly better games and worthy sucessors.

MetalCreed
06-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree. I want to see the actual free roaming though. I wonder if there's a lot to do, or if it'll be like LA Noire or Mafia 2. I'm also actually really excited about the location. After watching Ferris Beuller's day off I've always wanted to go to Chicago.

I'd say it has more things to do than GTA IV from the looks of it, and IMO, the gun fights and combat system looks A TON BETTER THAN GTA
I think the fact that you technically run the whole city gives you alot of freedom to screw around.

I wonder if Ubisoft are planning to attend TGS this year? We might see some AC3 and Watch Dogs, but very unlikely for Watch Dogs. I think they'll try to keep a low profile until release year. Which is likely to be during 2013.

SixKeys
06-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I must admit, the biggest reason I got so excited for Watch Dogs was because it reminded me of AC1. This is how I can imagine a full-blown modern day AC game with Desmond as the main protagonist being like. Even the design of the icons reminded me a bit of AC1. It may not resemble AC as most people think of the franchise, but to me it feels like a mix of the social stealth and Desmond bits in AC1.

masterfenix2009
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I mean the stealth in AC is good, it works, and it's plausible.
personally I find AC1's stealth to be more realistic, so you should be able to blend into large crowds.
I think Hitman Absolution will do the social stealth thing quite well, since you can preform disguise sensitive actions to help you blend, For example, in a demo they released last year, he's dressed as a cop so he goes and eats some doughnuts to solidify his disguise.
I'm really getting off topic.

Obviously Watch Dogs isn't really like AC, but it does seem to have a fairly realistic social stealth function, but we've not seen enough to really make any judgments. In the books it describes his hiding better. He doesn't really just stand there. The reason they don't show that in the game is because it would take too much time and a waste of a animation.

agitatedchimp
06-10-2012, 02:49 AM

I don't mean to defend the guy, but didn't Ezio blow up Cappodicia just to kill one priority target? :confused:

GIONAScm2
06-10-2012, 03:31 AM

Maybe this was just one of the few missions where he is not stealthy? Besides, he was pretty stealthy to begin with. He was walking, and he had most of his body covered. And like someone else said, he was trying to send a message. If he killed Joseph De Marco stealthily, thats not really sending a message now, is it... That's why he caused a car pile up.

And "you use technology to cause random crap to happen"? Really? This post is worth of the "Billy Madison Ultimate Insult". It's the present timeframe, he's not gonna use hidden blades, poison darts, swords, and throwing spears to get the job done. The present requires a little bit of creativity to be an assassin/hitman.

And how do you know he can't climb buildings? Parkour appears to be a substancially big part of Watch Dogs, if you've seen the original WD gameplay this was evident at the end when the POV switches to his partner, who parkours over several obstacles very smoothly.

Has no hidden blade? Dude. There are more practical ways in today's society to kill people than with a hidden blade. You think if they had silenced 9mm pistols, silenced M4A1s, and Silenced M-21 sniper rifles in the time AC games were made, the protagonist would still prefer to use a hidden blade? Even in the most recent AC timeframe (1780s) there still aren't even silencers invented, yet alone automatic or semi-auto guns.

How do you know he cannot blend? Maybe it just wasn't practical in the mission he was doing. Did you see any situation in the demo in which it would have been useful to blend with a crowd? Me neither.

"He has a gun". Ezio and Connor have guns. You Fail on an exponential level.

I think people are denying the resemblence with WD and AC because of the gameplay, when really the resemblence is the abstract elements such as stealth, parkour, and assassinating.

obliviondoll
06-10-2012, 05:34 AM
http://www.joyviews.com/files/2012/03/AC2.jpg

Because Altair was always stealthy...

Jamison_J_B
06-10-2012, 05:43 AM
I have to agree that Watch Dogs isn't a AC1 type of game...

That being said..the Watch Dogs stage demo kicked some major ***, and I will 100% sure be buying it when it comes out.

imonthenet
06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I hope we are able to avoid the gun fights and kill some of our targets silently, this would be cool... :)

I saw in a developer interview (I apologise for being unable to provide a link or source) that they said an alternate way to killing Demarco (the target in the demo) was hacking a camera from a distance to see when his car nears a drawbridge, then putting up the drawbridge to stop him, then shooting him with a silenced sniper rifle from a far off building. From the sound of this, Watchdogs truly has freedom. That is something I miss from Assassin's Creed so in that aspect I suppose it could be considered a spiriitual successor

EDIT: I think it was a Gamespot interview

pacmanate
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
You know games can be stealth without being AC? Just putting that out there.

Assassin_M
06-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe this was just one of the few missions where he is not stealthy? Besides, he was pretty stealthy to begin with. He was walking, and he had most of his body covered. And like someone else said, he was trying to send a message. If he killed Joseph De Marco stealthily, thats not really sending a message now, is it... That's why he caused a car pile up.

And "you use technology to cause random crap to happen"? Really? This post is worth of the "Billy Madison Ultimate Insult". It's the present timeframe, he's not gonna use hidden blades, poison darts, swords, and throwing spears to get the job done. The present requires a little bit of creativity to be an assassin/hitman.

And how do you know he can't climb buildings? Parkour appears to be a substancially big part of Watch Dogs, if you've seen the original WD gameplay this was evident at the end when the POV switches to his partner, who parkours over several obstacles very smoothly.

Has no hidden blade? Dude. There are more practical ways in today's society to kill people than with a hidden blade. You think if they had silenced 9mm pistols, silenced M4A1s, and Silenced M-21 sniper rifles in the time AC games were made, the protagonist would still prefer to use a hidden blade? Even in the most recent AC timeframe (1780s) there still aren't even silencers invented, yet alone automatic or semi-auto guns.

How do you know he cannot blend? Maybe it just wasn't practical in the mission he was doing. Did you see any situation in the demo in which it would have been useful to blend with a crowd? Me neither.

"He has a gun". Ezio and Connor have guns. You Fail on an exponential level.

I think people are denying the resemblence with WD and AC because of the gameplay, when really the resemblence is the abstract elements such as stealth, parkour, and assassinating.

You sure you were watching Watch Dogs ?

De Filosoof
06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
You sure you were watching Watch Dogs ?

The way he went into the club was pretty stealthy and i think the way the other guy ran over the roof at the end of the demo was what he meant by "parkour".

Epsilonyx
06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
People are saying that this game isn't stealthy at all just because they saw a demonstration in which the player chooses not to be stealthy. That was not representative of the entire game. Stealth in Assassin's Creed is not compulsory. I guarantee there are players who don't use it all, choosing the head-on approach instead. Watch Dogs definitely looks like a game with a lot of freedom and player choice (that seems to be the tag-line for every game these days). In addition to the social stealth, which is obviously a key mechanic, the general theme of WD reminds me of AC. The whole thing of limiting peoples' freedom, the general left-wing stand-point that the game takes and the secretive conspiracy theories that it incorporates are all very ACesque; which is awesome cause that's probably my favourite part of the AC franchise.

Assassin_M
06-10-2012, 02:44 PM
People are saying that this game isn't stealthy at all just because they saw a demonstration in which the player chooses not to be stealthy. That was not representative of the entire game. Stealth in Assassin's Creed is not compulsory. I guarantee there are players who don't use it all, choosing the head-on approach instead. Watch Dogs definitely looks like a game with a lot of freedom and player choice (that seems to be the tag-line for every game these days). In addition to the social stealth, which is obviously a key mechanic, the general theme of WD reminds me of AC. The whole thing of limiting peoples' freedom, the general left-wing stand-point that the game takes and the secretive conspiracy theories that it incorporates are all very ACesque; which is awesome cause that's probably my favourite part of the AC franchise.
Weird..
Thats what EVERYONE keeps saying when the demonstration of Assassins Creed isn't stealthy, and we keep saying that this is just one presentation not all the game will be like this, but yet people still say it wont be stealthy because they saw one un-stealthy demo.

I don't mean to defend the guy, but didn't Ezio blow up Cappodicia just to kill one priority target? :confused:
I wasn't talking about Assassins Creed Revelations, I was talking about it(watch_dogs) being a true sequel to Assassins Creed I which in many people`s opinion has had the most original and productive stealth of any game in the series..

Epsilonyx
06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Weird..
Thats what EVERYONE keeps saying when the demonstration of Assassins Creed isn't stealthy, and we keep saying that this is just one presentation not all the game will be like this, but yet people still say it wont be stealthy because they saw one un-stealthy demo.

I wasn't talking about Assassins Creed Revelations, I was talking about it(watch_dogs) being a true sequel to Assassins Creed I which in many people`s opinion has had the most original and productive stealth of any game in the series..
Well of course it did, it is the original Assassin's Creed. Any sequel of it can't have the original stealth, by definition. I don't think the stealth has changed much, but opportunities to use it are few and far between. The devs seem to have decided to shift their target audience towards people who see an open window and break down the door instead.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Because Altair was always stealthy...

I believe what he meant with his comparison is that Altair in AC1 used to blend better with the crowd, what IMO is true...

the character from WD did quite a mess to get to his target but I believe if it wasn't by the fact that his target probably knew what Aiden (the protagonist of WD) was capable to do, I doubt anyone without this knowledge would be aware that the accident was an attack and not just a random accident, that's why we had the gun fight, and his escape at the end of the demo can also be compared to what happened after we killed a target in AC1, the difference is that during the modern days they have more resources to use to go after Aiden while during the Crusades they didn't have a chopper but the entire city (guards) were aware of Altair's actions..

and about him sending a message and the fact that he didn't used a sound suppressor, if you pay attention to the trailer and the conversation between Aiden and his friend, his friend randomly gave him the weapon ("as a gift" as he said in the trailer), so that's probably the reason why he didn't used a sound suppressor because he probably wasn't even expecting to use a gun, and the message for those who didn't understand wasn't kill the target making a lot of noise, but only kill the target, so it doesn't matter if he killed him stealthy or not, the message he was trying to send was the dead body, those for who he was sending the message would probably understand it...

is this enough to make Watch Dogs the "spiritual successor "of AC1? I don't think so, but some things I saw in the trailer certainly reminded me of AC1 and how realistic was to blend with the crowd in that game, Altair really fit with the environment around him in AC1...

I saw in a developer interview (I apologise for being unable to provide a link or source) that they said an alternate way to killing Demarco (the target in the demo) was hacking a camera from a distance to see when his car nears a drawbridge, then putting up the drawbridge to stop him, then shooting him with a silenced sniper rifle from a far off building. From the sound of this, Watchdogs truly has freedom. That is something I miss from Assassin's Creed so in that aspect I suppose it could be considered a spiriitual successor

EDIT: I think it was a Gamespot interview

thanks... I'll try to find this interview.. :)

Assassin_M
06-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Well of course it did, it is the original Assassin's Creed. Any sequel of it can't have the original stealth, by definition. I don't think the stealth has changed much, but opportunities to use it are few and far between. The devs seem to have decided to shift their target audience towards people who see an open window and break down the door instead.
Exactly my point, I never claimed that every Assassins Creed after the first had as much emphasis on stealth as the first game..

GIONAScm2
06-10-2012, 05:18 PM
The way he went into the club was pretty stealthy and i think the way the other guy ran over the roof at the end of the demo was what he meant by "parkour".

Took the words right outta my mouth.

frostbitedeer
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM

Please don't tell me you used parkour as a verb. Ugh. Also, there was no parkour whatsoever in the gameplay we've seen so far. And even if he could climb, climbing is not parkour.

EzioPravar
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
to describe it at best it is a high-tech gta, with better graphics and the stealth mechanics of hitman.
You won't be restricted to having to silently kill them.. you can cause a distraction and kill them, while escaping in the ensuing chaos.

GIONAScm2
01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Please don't tell me you used parkour as a verb. Ugh. Also, there was no parkour whatsoever in the gameplay we've seen so far. And even if he could climb, climbing is not parkour.

Firstly, if you're gonna be such a grammar nazi about it, he *performs parkour over several obstacles.

Next, I'm afraid you are wrong, sir. Take it from a parkour/freerunning enthusiast, climbing is infact a vital component of parkour. Now if you were arguing that parkour is not all about climbing, then you are correct. However as I have said, climbing is a very essential part of parkour.

lothario-da-be
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I suggest you all stop discussing and wait until we get more gameplay.

Gi1t
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Well of course it did, it is the original Assassin's Creed. Any sequel of it can't have the original stealth, by definition. I don't think the stealth has changed much, but opportunities to use it are few and far between. The devs seem to have decided to shift their target audience towards people who see an open window and break down the door instead.Have to agree with that, unfortunately. XD This game did seem like a spiritual successor to AC in some ways. The question is, will they try to appeal to the people who were dissatisfied with decline in the usefulness of social stealth and with the implementation of the modern story, or will it end up doing the same thing AC did to increase sales? Their track record with things of this kind is not very good. -__-